Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who are you rooting for this Divisional Round
This poll is closed.
Cincinnati Bengals 46 29.30%
Green Bay Packers 29 18.47%
San Francisco 49'ers 27 17.20%
Tennessee Titans 15 9.55%
Stan the T-Rex to Escape The Rock's Possession 40 25.48%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

General Dog posted:

I mean, they don’t usually start out that way. Somebody who seems cool now is going to turn out to suck poo poo, personality-wise.

Trey Lances time will come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My favorite thing about Mason Rudolph is when Myles Garrett hit him with the helmet, we were discussing it on this board and a couple goons thought Rudolph had a poison ninja star in his hand and it just turned out to be the nike swoosh on his jersey. I wish I could find these posts but I cannot.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
You can't prove that he didn't have a poison ninja star in his hand, for the record.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

found the post

MJeff posted:

Hey, look at that! Rudolph has a poison ninja star in his hand! He's going to kill Myles Garrett right here on the football field with that poison ninja star!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hi hello the San Francisco 49ers will probably have a controlling stake in my footer team soon, do you get a fat wedge of money for winning the Superbowl that you could perhaps funnel to your Yorkshire based soccer concern to spend on players that don't get injured. If so I would like them to win. If not, largely indifferent

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

DariusLikewise posted:

The Los Angeles Rams are going to win the Super Bowl for the second time in a row and Matthew Stafford is going to be the Super Bowl MVP again and will be a first ballot HoF.

Love this future post.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

the sex ghost posted:

Hi hello the San Francisco 49ers will probably have a controlling stake in my footer team soon, do you get a fat wedge of money for winning the Superbowl that you could perhaps funnel to your Yorkshire based soccer concern to spend on players that don't get injured. If so I would like them to win. If not, largely indifferent

Huh, I didn't actually know the 49ers 1. have an investment arm and 2. bought a large stake in LUFC.

Anyway I don't think winning the super bowl would change the financial calculus much, the NFL is by far the most popular TV product in the US and has no pro/rel so the 32 member teams are guaranteed to rake in cash regardless.

I wonder how much free capital an investment vehicle will have to invest in players, not like it's a Russian billionaire or Gulf State writing blank checks. Guess we'll find out.

Sorry you're having a lovely season, hope LUFC stay up because Bielsa is very fun.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hmmm, well that's not ideal.

quote:

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Willie Gay was arrested Wednesday night in Overland Park in a misdemeanor criminal damage case, according to the Johnson County Sheriff's Office.

Gay, 23, was arrested around 10:30 p.m. and booked into the Johnson County Detention Center, where he remained Thursday morning awaiting bond.

No other information has been released yet from the Overland Park Police Department or the Johnson County Sheriff's Office.

I have no clue what's going on here, that's all the information there is so far from what I can tell?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

https://twitter.com/M_Cassel16/status/1483948959399882753

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Grittybeard posted:

I have no clue what's going on here, that's all the information there is so far from what I can tell?

https://www.kctv5.com/news/local_news/chiefs-lb-willie-gay-arrested-in-overland-park/article_66a32fb4-79f0-11ec-9f19-77d4f61fc9c0.html

quote:

OVERLAND PARK, KS (KCTV) -- Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Willie Gay was arrested Wednesday night in Overland Park in a misdemeanor criminal damage case, according to the Johnson County Sheriff's Office.

Gay, 23, was arrested around 10:30 p.m. and booked into the Johnson County Detention Center, where he remained Thursday morning awaiting bond. He has a 2:30 p.m. scheduled court date.

Charging documents state Gay damaged a vacuum cleaner, wall and door frame during a confrontation with a woman. It's being classified as a domestic violence offense.

Stay with KCTV5 News for more information as it becomes available.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He publicly had some mental health issues and sat down for a game earlier this year, so...not like I know but I assume that's still going on.

The good thing is everyone seems to be safe. I'd rather he get his stuff together than play if things are bad.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Mirin wrote an awesome book on Giannis and now writes a great article on Rasul Douglas

https://twitter.com/MirinFader/status/1484191632756916228

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

He publicly had some mental health issues and sat down for a game earlier this year, so...not like I know but I assume that's still going on.

The good thing is everyone seems to be safe. I'd rather he get his stuff together than play if things are bad.

https://twitter.com/HaroldRKuntz3/status/1484184635722678272

In Overland Park it automatically gets filed under DV but it sounds like this is nothing. There was no alcohol involved anyway

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Stop making me feel bad for Matt Cassel but yeah that was a pretty low blow out of nowhere.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

pasaluki posted:

Stop making me feel bad for Matt Cassel but yeah that was a pretty low blow out of nowhere.

Matt Cassel made $65 million dollars in the NFL

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The argument was about whether or not he could break the vacuum.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Dwayne Bowe was washed by 30 so maybe the problem was him

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

wonder why he felt the need to bring it up like that :thunk: lol

also if Mason Rudolph is starting for the Steelers next year fire the entire coaching staff and front office. they can't keep getting away with this

kiimo posted:

https://twitter.com/HaroldRKuntz3/status/1484184635722678272

In Overland Park it automatically gets filed under DV but it sounds like this is nothing. There was no alcohol involved anyway

Still pretty messed up to go smashing poo poo during an argument with the mother of your child. The implied threat seems pretty clear

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

A face genetically engineered for maximum punch-ability.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Play posted:

Still pretty messed up to go smashing poo poo during an argument with the mother of your child. The implied threat seems pretty clear

He's not a monster that should be locked up in jail like his teammate Tyreek Hill.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Does Matt Stafford make the hall if he gets a SB win? I think yes but as one of those "eventually" guys.

Edit: Assuming he doesn't randomly retire he definitely passes Elway next year for #11 all time career passing yards.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 20, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

WaryWarren posted:

He's not a monster that should be locked up in jail like his teammate Tyreek Hill.

No, I'm not saying that. Him being arrested at the moment then released is appropriate. But it's a messed up thing to do which I'm sure scared the woman a lot and hopefully does not presage actual violence

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Quiet Feet posted:

Does Matt Stafford make the hall if he gets a SB win? I think yes but as one of those "eventually" guys.

He's never really been one of the best QBs in the league and he wasn't the main reason the Rams beat Arizona in the wildcard even though he was very good with what he was asked to do, but I'll support him going to the hall with a super bowl win so long as he goes in as a Lion

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
He's young enough still that he will accrue huge counting stats. I think he makes it with a sb.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Stafford might make the hall just by virtue of counting stats. There's a reasonable chance he retires #3 in career passing yards.

edit: beaten

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I think most quarterbacks who start for over a certain number of years get into the Hall of Fame with a super bowl win. The standard for what it takes with the ring for a quarterbacks is so much lower than the standard it takes without a ring, or the standard for position players.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/titansfilmroom/status/1483808831238914049

good lord

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I think Stafford needs some combination of an MVP, a Super Bowl win and some more counting stats to make the hall. He's only 33 and guys are playing a lot longer this days so he's got a good six years before he probably contemplates retirement.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

I hope Saturday is the Tennessee Titans' end game.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

There’s a Packers version of this that’s been floating around for a couple weeks. Same concept with everyone coming back from ir. I think it works better imo because Captain America has the same last name as Aaron if you add a d in the middle. Although I guess Steve wasn’t afraid of getting injections.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Eifert Posting posted:

I think most quarterbacks who start for over a certain number of years get into the Hall of Fame with a super bowl win. The standard for what it takes with the ring for a quarterbacks is so much lower than the standard it takes without a ring, or the standard for position players.

Making the Hall of Fame as a QB is a way more exclusive clubs than you think, like the last five guys to make it in are Peyton Manning, Kurt Warner, Brett Favre, Ken Stabler and Troy Aikman. The worst out of that group is Aikman, his career stats aren't great but he won 3 Super Bowls so that's the bar.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

What years would you say Stafford was a top 5 quarterback?

If the answer doesn't start with X, Y and Z... why would you put him in the HoF?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

If the answer doesn't start with X, Y and Z... why would you put him in the HoF?

Right, the only argument in favor is the counting stats.

I think it's like Darius said: he'd need another six productive years and at least a Super Bowl and/or an MVP. But hey, that's still feasible.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Titans running poo poo into the ground.

:schotty:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think people care about counting stats anymore unless your like number 1.

It’s MVPs and super bowl wins. For better or worse

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Everyone else got to do this so...

C'mon Already Tier
Bills

Bengals

There's Players I like Here Tier
Rams

Chiefs

Who Cares Tier
Titans
49ers

gently caress these Guys Tier
Packers

Buccs

Kalli posted:

If we don't let Stafford in in 5-6 years I want no more talk about Frank Gore.

But your best arguments for that are 2011 and 2021. I just don't think individual years matter if you get a ring. I mean Eli's best years top out at merely good and I doubt he gets left out.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Quiet Feet posted:

I mean Eli's best years top out at merely good and I doubt he gets left out.

Stopping 19-0 and beating Tom Brady in the Super Bowl TWICE is what’s getting Eli in.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Well, Eli should not be in the HoF either, though probably will due to media market and SB wins. I like Stafford and think he is quite a bit better than someone like Eli, but I think he is more than a SB short of being in HoF consideration. He needs to get the Rams to the later round playoffs for the rest of his career to be under consideration, and with what seems to be chronic back issues I am not sure if his career will be long enough after having "wasted" so much of it in Detroit.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Even more than most guys, I think Staffords legacy does a massive u-turn if he wins a ring. Retroactively his big passing numbers will be seen as a hero slaving away in a hopeless situation like Sanders and Megatron, instead of being a mid-tier QB who padded his stats in garbage time, which because Lions was 3/4 of every game.

Or put another way, imagine the vast change in the perception of Rivers or Romo if they'd won a ring in there somewhere.

Silly Burrito posted:

Stopping 19-0 and beating Tom Brady in the Super Bowl TWICE is what’s getting Eli in.

Yeah, he's Jim Plunkett if he'd beaten the Joe Montana 49ers twice instead of whoever.

Or like an, I dunno, double Joe Namath situation. It's 100% about the story.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Even more than most guys, I think Staffords legacy does a massive u-turn if he wins a ring. Retroactively his big passing numbers will be seen as a hero slaving away in a hopeless situation like Sanders and Megatron, instead of being a mid-tier QB who padded his stats in garbage time, which because Lions was 3/4 of every game.

Or put another way, imagine the vast change in the perception of Rivers or Romo if they'd won a ring in there somewhere.

Yeah, he's Jim Plunkett if he'd beaten the Joe Montana 49ers twice instead of whoever.

Or like an, I dunno, double Joe Namath situation. It's 100% about the story.
I get that we're all too young to fully understand when looking at non era-adjusted stats but Namath was a loving god. And it's the Hall of Fame. Modern day Joan Jett does not get on stage in an Eli Manning or Matt Stafford jersey.