Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hand Knit posted:

it's basically the worst episode of Vinyl Café ever.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

The Star uncovered that the Barry Sherman owed a billion dollars to pharma companies and was refusing to pay lol.

He was behind the malaria drug that made people go crazy and kill themselves, that the government knew posed a risk, gave it to us anyways, and hasn’t given us a dime for, so I had kind of hoped a vet got him, but alas.

If it’s over billions in pharma money, there’s no chance in this case being solved now then eh? :canada:

all that just makes me more convinced he killed himself and his wife. The quote “Barry seemed quiet lately, but not sad despite losing a total of about a billion dollars in lawsuits in the last three months” is truly incredible lmao

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Starks posted:

all that just makes me more convinced he killed himself and his wife. The quote “Barry seemed quiet lately, but not sad despite losing a total of about a billion dollars in lawsuits in the last three months” is truly incredible lmao

i am dying to know who this person is with the "unusual gait" all the cops are fawning over though

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

mediaphage posted:

lol why would you ever give him clicks

anyway i love how hes like my poor straight white masculine boys will nobody think of them

my so is a prof and i was talking to him about this last night and i was like who would ever take on one of peterson's grad students? like, nobody at this point signs up with him without knowing and agreeing with his beliefs

It was forwarded to me on the promise that it was funny. And, for the few minutes I watched it, it delivered.

Also I've seen people every bit as wretched get jobs if their work is, if not good, then at least good enough to make the publication and funding metrics go up. This is of course offset by the fact that research jobs barely exist anymore, but university departments are generally staffed by extremely mercenary people with reactionary tendencies. The idea that he was ideologically isolated is nonsense. (Though maybe that's his point: 'everyone agrees with me but i'm punished4truth'.) He was maligned because he's a lunatic claiming that all his colleagues are part of a fascist conspiracy against him.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mister Speaker posted:

How likely is it that he was actually pushed out? I don't know much about academic culture but it seems to me that resigning from a tenured position like his isn't something a lot of people would do.

Quite likely, given emeritus status at that age. IMO it was a deal struck with him and his administrators.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hand Knit posted:

Peterson, like Bari Weiss before him, has had to quit loudly quite precisely because he wouldn’t be fired. He has spent the last few years collecting full pay despite zero duties for teaching, admin work, or even ever having to show up.

e: he was always deeply disliked before becoming famous. Someone I know described him as the platonic ideal of the person you didn’t want to get stuck talking to at a party. His only mode was ‘lengthy jeremiad’.

hahaha

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Didnt he complain about how students would constantly glue his office doors shut before he became famous?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Didnt he complain about how students would constantly glue his office doors shut before he became famous?

And also that he'd been accused of sexually inappropriate comments (or other conduct) so many times he wasn't allowed to have his door shut when talking with female students.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Peterson posted a dramatic reading of his letter on youtube and instead of linking it I'll just say it's basically the worst episode of Vinyl Café ever.

don’t disgrace Stuart McLean’s memory like that

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Hand Knit posted:

Peterson posted a dramatic reading of his letter on youtube and instead of linking it I'll just say it's basically the worst episode of Vinyl Café ever.
A friend of mine told me she tried to listen to it, but her brain just started making Charlie Brown teacher sounds.

Which might just be the benzos, I dunno.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
im glad jorp is gone and i am confident that being canceled and losing his job means he will no longer be given unlimited access to an enormous media platform, now to take a giant sip of coffee

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Albino Squirrel posted:

A friend of mine told me she tried to listen to it, but her brain just started making Charlie Brown teacher sounds.

Which might just be the benzos, I dunno.

Your friend's benzos? Or Peterson's?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol posting through the madness this is inducing in me

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

blatman posted:

deleted what was it

there was a typo in an edmonton mps newsletter that he was gonna make canada more adorable instead of affordable

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/Billius27/status/1483664922269700098?s=20

is this bad

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

mediaphage posted:

lol posting through the madness this is inducing in me

I took a look at the post tracking the number of daily cases reported on reddit.

quote:

Deaths are a lagging indicator. They represent what was happening in the pandemic 4-6 weeks ago. Not at all to trivialize any death. But You can't plan for the immediate future based on deaths.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I sometimes legitimately have a hard time understanding how we are two years into the pandemic and it seems like everyone in a position of power still does not understand either the concept of exponential growth or the concept of a lagging indicator.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

I sometimes legitimately have a hard time understanding how we are two years into the pandemic and it seems like everyone in a position of power still does not understand either the concept of exponential growth or the concept of a lagging indicator.

actually they seem to understand it less now than they did on March 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

they understand they just don't care

e: well, the policy people and the people advising the politicians understand. I don't expect the politicians to understand all that much.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1106317613607649281

vyelkin posted:

Jordan7hm posted:

e: well, the policy people and the people advising the politicians understand. I don't expect the politicians to understand all that much.
Doomer option: Western countries are on the cusp of an absolutely massive crash and governments are desperately and pathetically trying to stave that off as long as possible. We're on the breaking point with poo poo held together with duct tape, dying workers, and various kinds of inflated economic bullshit, and so anything that interferes with The Number is becoming less and less tenable than it would have been even a few months ago in previous waves.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jordan7hm posted:

they care, they care deeply that people don't get used to emergency pandemic support and the government "doing things"

there was a coordinated effort from capital planned to get the peasants back to work and wean them off government support. this plan did not anticipate omicron, but they are doing it anyway. as a result everything is going to collapse

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DirtyRobot posted:

Doomer option: Western countries are on the cusp of an absolutely massive crash and governments are desperately and pathetically trying to stave that off as long as possible. We're on the breaking point with poo poo held together with duct tape, dying workers, and various kinds of inflated economic bullshit, and so anything that interferes with The Number is becoming less and less tenable than it would have been even a few months ago in previous waves.

it's this

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Rutibex posted:

they care, they care deeply that people don't get used to emergency pandemic support and the government "doing things"

there was a coordinated effort from capital planned to get the peasants back to work and wean them off government support. this plan did not anticipate omicron, but they are doing it anyway. as a result everything is going to collapse

Pretty much.

What did you do with your CERB bucks?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Karach posted:

What did you do with your CERB bucks?

I bought tools and learned how to do wood working. I figured hyper inflation would make them valuable and debt collectors can't steal my tools without actually physically fighting me, unlike a bank account.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i thought you spent everything on screws

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i thought you spent everything on screws

I do have a healthy supply of screws, bolts, nuts, ball bearings, wire, nails, glue, etc

I also have wine making supplies cuz I taught myself how to make hooch. i basically followed Dmitry orlovs advice about how to survive the collapse of the Soviet union. hopefully everything collapses soon

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The same healthcare system that handed out insanity inducing malaria pills is handling covid.
My confidence isn’t too high.

I thought the unusual gait thing was from when they were investigating the kids, did something change?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Rutibex posted:

I bought tools and learned how to do wood working. I figured hyper inflation would make them valuable and debt collectors can't steal my tools without actually physically fighting me, unlike a bank account.

Hell yeah.

I tried to expand my hobby farm into a bigger business while getting paid by the government. The effort:reward ratio just never came out in our favour, unfortunately. Well, it might have if we had been wiling to hire """""""interns"""""" or pay garbage wages for back-breaking work, but we weren't.

On the plus side, we're ready, food production-wise, for the collapse of capitalist society.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Karach posted:

Hell yeah.

I tried to expand my hobby farm into a bigger business while getting paid by the government. The effort:reward ratio just never came out in our favour, unfortunately. Well, it might have if we had been wiling to hire """""""interns"""""" or pay garbage wages for back-breaking work, but we weren't.

On the plus side, we're ready, food production-wise, for the collapse of capitalist society.

I tried to grow potatoes but they all got dug up by a squirrel :(

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
squirrels are right bastards

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
squirrels terrorized my garden when i had one. they wouldn't even eat most of the stuff, they'd just do poo poo like gnaw at the base of the stem of various plants until they fell over and just died there. if i tried to do anything to chase them away, they'd just retreat into the bushes or the trees until i left, and then immediately get right back to it. they subjected me to years of intense psychological warfare where i was fighting an invisible enemy that would attack from every angle, much like the vietcong

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I know a guy who was a bit of a wayward soul, but found jorp inspiring and set about changing his life based on his book and talks.

he killed himself :(

he had bipolar and I wish he would have latched onto something else

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sorry for your friend. I've lost a handful to their mental health issues during the pandemic and every one of them hurts. The lack of funerals to get some closure really doesn't help.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Rutibex posted:

I tried to grow potatoes but they all got dug up by a squirrel :(

Try this one simple trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTvS9lvRxZ8

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Another Bill posted:

Sorry for your friend. I've lost a handful to their mental health issues during the pandemic and every one of them hurts. The lack of funerals to get some closure really doesn't help.

yup

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

squirrels terrorized my garden when i had one. they wouldn't even eat most of the stuff, they'd just do poo poo like gnaw at the base of the stem of various plants until they fell over and just died there. if i tried to do anything to chase them away, they'd just retreat into the bushes or the trees until i left, and then immediately get right back to it. they subjected me to years of intense psychological warfare where i was fighting an invisible enemy that would attack from every angle, much like the vietcong

i hear that if you try growing rat traps all you'll get are dead squirrels

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 13:57 on Oct 29, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Futanari Damacy posted:

Yeah this will be good for everyone. Keep "hope" alive! :jerkbag:

the current situation isn't really good for me. im allowed to fantasize about things getting better. im sorry if the system is working for you but im not required to hope it keeps crushing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

your doomerism about hoping for the collapse of society is stupid and selfish, hth