Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Bubbacub posted:

Ok, thanks all! The Element looks too huge and overpriced for what I'd need (not sure if it would even fit in my garage!) and I don't need a pickup bed. I'll keep an eye out for reasonable deals on Foresters and CRVs, but this is a luxury item that I don't need urgently, so I don't mind waiting for prices to settle out a bit.

Eh? The Element in the post is a bad deal but it is a small car, not huge. Forester is 183" in length, CR-V is 182", Honda Element is/was 170".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ahh, ok. Got fooled by the giant box look.

I haven't followed price trends until now, I didn't know the used market was so inflated right now. :stonk: Might wait until summer.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Element was a neat car when it came out but the last one rolled off the line over a decade ago. Also due to its up right slab sided profile it gets fairly poor fuel economy. The CRV, a substantially larger car with an otherwise similar drivetrain (at the time), is quite a bit more efficient due to aero alone. Newer models are much more efficient.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nah it's all good, it intuitively makes sense that all of the complexity of ICE + high voltage EV bits would be less reliable because it's more systems and more failure modes, but Toyota spent a ton of time effort and money making sure the car is reliable and doing some very clever things from an engineering standpoint.

Are the Lexus CT 200hs just as good? Its a bummer they discontinued them. I think they look good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

deong posted:

Are the Lexus CT 200hs just as good? Its a bummer they discontinued them. I think they look good.

powertrain wise yes

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Is a 2016 Scion iM HB CVT with 65k miles worth it at just under 15k? Two owners and a clean report with regular maintenance, also nothing popping out on VIN checks.

My current car is a money pit and I refuse to burn more on the thing.

Henron fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 20, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what's your current car and how is it being a money pit

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what's your current car and how is it being a money pit

2005 Mazda 6. It's got some serious blowby and absolutely guzzles oil--this along with being neglected at every turn by the previous owner(s) so I've had to put on new front and rear brake calipers in addition to an intake manifold replacement.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I believe my mom drives a 2017 Honda, but since she's been working from home for the past 2 years the car maybe gets 5 miles of use a week. However, the dealership has called her and just told her that it is due for some kind of service at a certain mile mark. Pretty sure they're trying to rip her off because we know that's what dealers do and online I found varying reports of what needs to be done at what mile.

I can't find the owner's manual, but what services need to be done as opposed to what the dealer says at 60 or 70k miles?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
find the owner's manual on Honda's website.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Do you know what model Honda she has?

The only critical engine work that I can think of that really truly does need to be done or Very Bad Things Happen is the timing belt, but the only modernHonda engine(2017 is modern in this context) that uses one is the V-6, found in Odyssey minivans, the Pilot, the Ridgeline and the fanciest Accords.

All other Honda models use timing chains, which generally last the life of the engine.

My recollection offhand is the later Honda V-6 goes 90,000 miles before timing belt changes, so the dealer notice is almost certainly bullshit. I also have a 2017 Honda and am deluged by bullshit dealer offers to service the vehicle.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just covering bases because not everybody knows this - oil still needs to be changed at regular time intervals whether you drive it or not because it breaks down chemically and is affected by things like the weather changing. Other than that, check the manual. Regular service around that interval might be ATF or air filters.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 20, 2022

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

JnnyThndrs posted:

Do you know what model Honda she has?

The only critical engine work that I can think of that really truly does need to be done or Very Bad Things Happen is the timing belt, but the only modernHonda engine(2017 is modern in this context) that uses one is the V-6, found in Odyssey minivans, the Pilot, the Ridgeline and the fanciest Accords.

All other Honda models use timing chains, which generally last the life of the engine.

My recollection offhand is the later Honda V-6 goes 90,000 miles before timing belt changes, so the dealer notice is almost certainly bullshit. I also have a 2017 Honda and am deluged by bullshit dealer offers to service the vehicle.

2017 was 5 years ago.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

2017 was 5 years ago.

Yes but the last time Honda sold any real number of cars with a four cylinder and a timing belt was in the early/mid 2000s. They've been all-in on the timing-chain K, L, and R engines for a long time now.

Read the owner's manual for what Honda specifies for upper bounds on time between services but other than that, just go on the service reminder built into the car itself. Also if the car is only getting driven five miles at a time, seriously consider doing a 30 minute or longer drive on a monthly basis so everything actually gets up to temperature once in a while.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I checked the manual for a '17 Accord for shits and basically just said "Do whatever the car yells at you to do in the gauge cluster" which is what most cars are going to these days. The exceptions are - oil needs to be changed at least every 12 months and replace brake fluid every 3 years, and various exceptions for extreme usage situations (very hot or cold temps, mountain driving, towing, etc.)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes but the last time Honda sold any real number of cars with a four cylinder and a timing belt was in the early/mid 2000s. They've been all-in on the timing-chain K, L, and R engines for a long time now.

Read the owner's manual for what Honda specifies for upper bounds on time between services but other than that, just go on the service reminder built into the car itself. Also if the car is only getting driven five miles at a time, seriously consider doing a 30 minute or longer drive on a monthly basis so everything actually gets up to temperature once in a while.

Oh yeah this. Modern cars are direct injected and if you don't let them get up to temperature bad things happen with oil dilution. Granted, they get up to temperature pretty quickly, but going to church once a week doesn't cut it.

Also, the owner's manual says a 2017 v6 accord has a timing belt.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 20, 2022

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just figured 5 years was the usual time interval for changing timing belts? I googled and I guess it's actually 7 so eh. 5 years is probably for most 4 cylinder engines.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

IOwnCalculus posted:

While the sentiment here is correct, I am skeptical of it not being an overstatement. For example a huge chunk of American car buyers will only take trips five miles at a time for the entire life of a car. 5 miles is not that short and is well within typical commute distance. I don’t think that would risk any damage or water in oil issues, but I don’t know much about cars.

If we’re talking 0.5 miles rather than 5, then yeah I could see the issue.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I'll see if I can find the manual for her car. It makes me wonder about my own, a 99 Honda Accord that is almost at 70,000 miles. I don't really see much online in terms of that age with that mileage. I know Im due for an oil change, but my usual mechanic has gone through some different employees recently and I'm not sure I trust their judgment anymore.

Edit: I suspect if I can find the manuals for both, this will answer the really stupid beginner questions I've got. I don't even know if my car is a sedan or coup.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 20, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

While the sentiment here is correct, I am skeptical of it not being an overstatement. For example a huge chunk of American car buyers will only take trips five miles at a time for the entire life of a car. 5 miles is not that short and is well within typical commute distance. I don’t think that would risk any damage or water in oil issues, but I don’t know much about cars.

Oil dilution is a bigger issue if you let the car idle a lot or frequently take short trips (so multiple times per day with many heating cycles). Cars that sit a lot tend to have issues more on the side of gas going bad, brake lines absorbing water from the air, rubber rotting, etc. I don't think it's true that most people don't drive more than 5 miles ever, though. 5 miles is not very far.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'll see if I can find the manual for her car. It makes me wonder about my own, a 99 Honda Accord that is almost at 70,000 miles. I don't really see much online in terms of that age with that mileage. I know Im due for an oil change, but my usual mechanic has gone through some different employees recently and I'm not sure I trust their judgment anymore.

Edit: I suspect if I can find the manuals for both, this will answer the really stupid beginner questions I've got. I don't even know if my car is a sedan or coup.

https://owners.honda.com/vehicle-information/manuals

As a rule - sedans have 4 doors, coupes have 2 doors.

gently caress you, Mercedes and BMW for trying to change this

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

Also, the owner's manual says a 2017 v6 accord has a timing belt.

Yeah, that's why I said four cylinder with a belt :v: We don't even know which model OP's mom has, let alone which engine. If it has a V6, it has a timing belt, if it has a four cylinder it doesn't and the only major scheduled maintenance it will ever need is a valve adjustment at 100k miles.

Inner Light posted:

Like KillHour said, direct injected cars (and I think Honda's whole fleet was DI by 2017) have fuel dilution issues with short trips. Honda in particular had some teething issues with their calibration on this where some owners were getting so much fuel in the oil it was getting above the full line on the dipstick.

Five miles is better than 0.5 miles, but depending on how that drive actually goes (is it stop and go for 20 minutes? or is it smooth flowing and done in five?) the coolant may be up to temp but the engine oil probably isn't. The transmission fluid almost certainly isn't anywhere near fully warm.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To be clear - if you're doing a lot of short trips and that is causing fuel to get mixed into your oil, doing a few longer trips isn't going to fix that. You need to change your oil more often. The reason to do a few longer trips is to prevent your gas from going bad and make sure your rubber stuff doesn't rot out. Also because getting out of your 5 mile radius occasionally is fun and good for your mental health.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That all makes sense then! I get worried because I live in a big city and most things I need to go to around me are within a couple miles, or even under a mile. I'll be an idiot and drive there sometimes (it's 12F outside right now give me a break :-/). Owning a car at all is just splurging, there's no real need.

I do my best to at least make sure the temp idiot gauge moves up towards the half mark.

Wish there was a way for me to empirically see how bad oil dilution is getting in my car, but I don't think that can be done outside of a shop? It doesn't look like a milkshake under the cap, I know that much.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 20, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

That all makes sense then! I get worried because I live in a big city and most things I need to go to around me are within a couple miles, or even under a mile. I'll be an idiot and drive there sometimes (it's 12F outside right now give me a break :-/). Owning a car at all is just splurging, there's no real need.

I do my best to at least make sure the temp idiot gauge moves up towards the half mark.

Ironically, letting it warm up in your driveway is actually worse for it so consider not doing that although I do it anyways because having a warm butt is more important to me than the person who gets my car when the lease is up. Sorry future owner - you knew what you were getting into buying a used M car.

Inner Light posted:

Wish there was a way for me to empirically see how bad oil dilution is getting in my car, but I don't think that can be done outside of a shop? It doesn't look like a milkshake under the cap, I know that much.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

A bunch of companies do this and it's not expensive. You can ask your shop to take the sample the next time they do an oil change.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 20, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat phone double posting.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Oil dilution is a bigger issue if you let the car idle a lot or frequently take short trips (so multiple times per day with many heating cycles). Cars that sit a lot tend to have issues more on the side of gas going bad, brake lines absorbing water from the air, rubber rotting, etc. I don't think it's true that most people don't drive more than 5 miles ever, though. 5 miles is not very far.

Can you define idle a lot? Like 5 mins once a day, 30 minutes every other hour?

Also mom's car is Nissan cvr

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Mom's car a Nissan cvr if that helps.

So it's not a Honda then? I assume you mean a CVT as in the transmission type? Do you have a picture of the car? There should be an owners manual in the glove box as well.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Can you define idle a lot? Like 5 mins once a day, 30 minutes every other hour?

Also mom's car is Nissan cvr

Like a cop letting their car idle for an hour while they're in a Dunkin Donuts because they don't pay the gas.

Edit: Oh wait do you mean a Honda CR-V?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 20, 2022

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
How long is a bit of string?

If you have trouble telling one thing from another, but want specific answers to you vague questions, it's best not to guess the details. Open the driver side door, and take a picture of the VIN number plate, it'll have all the info we need. There should also be owner's manual in the glove compartment. And it should never ever leave the car.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

How long is a bit of string?

If you have trouble telling one thing from another, but want specific answers to you vague questions, it's best not to guess the details. Open the driver side door, and take a picture of the VIN number plate, it'll have all the info we need. There should also be owner's manual in the glove compartment. And it should never ever leave the car.

I'm sorry for the confusion in this, I at least got her to hold off making any appointments at the dealership until I can get home today. They've already ripped her off several times in regards to this car, I'm trying to limit the damage.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Last tractor derail:

It came today, and it is beautiful :swoon:

Just need my ROPS lights to show up. And to move all the stuff that just got dumped in random spots in the barn by the movers a month ago so that I have a better spot to put it. Maybe I'll use the bucket for that...

Edit: I'm hilariously terrible with this thing, either accomplish next to nothing or I shear off the top half inch of my gravel :haw:

It'll be fun to learn how to use this thing

ssb fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 20, 2022

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

KillHour posted:

I checked the manual for a '17 Accord for shits and basically just said "Do whatever the car yells at you to do in the gauge cluster" which is what most cars are going to these days. The exceptions are - oil needs to be changed at least every 12 months and replace brake fluid every 3 years, and various exceptions for extreme usage situations (very hot or cold temps, mountain driving, towing, etc.)

Our 2020 Toyota pops up an obnoxious oil change reminder on the gauge cluster every 5000 miles, despite the manual stating to do it every 10000 miles. I usually split the difference and change it around 7500, because 10000 feels like a lot (even if it's a reliable engine with plenty of anecdotes online of it doing fine at 10000).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Most cars with a digital console (so anything made in last 10 years) let you set next maintenance or periodic maintenance values. On the older side this is semi esoteric fiddling on your instrument cluster, in newer cars it's in the infotainment panel. If you let other people change your oil they will make it a point to go in and set these to dinosaur 90s values like 3500 or 5000 miles so you come in more often and you can usually go back in and set it to 7500-10000 like it's meant to be for modern synth and semi synth cars.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Really though just check what the recommended mileage/time interval is for your specific vehicle and do that. At least if you're in the warranty period. It would stink to have some warranty claim hassle because you went to 10000 miles when your service manual says 6000 miles because the internet said it wasn't necessary.

What's actually probably OK vs what you should be doing do not always align. Go nuts if you're out of warranty and/or aren't worried about it, especially if you do your own maintenance, but if you're asking questions about this stuff, you should probably just stick with what the owner's manual says until you know exactly why you don't need to.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Really though just check what the recommended mileage/time interval is for your specific vehicle and do that. At least if you're in the warranty period. It would stink to have some warranty claim hassle because you went to 10000 miles when your service manual says 6000 miles because the internet said it wasn't necessary.

What's actually probably OK vs what you should be doing do not always align. Go nuts if you're out of warranty and/or aren't worried about it, especially if you do your own maintenance, but if you're asking questions about this stuff, you should probably just stick with what the owner's manual says until you know exactly why you don't need to.

Unfortunately, on modern Hondas, the owner's manual literally just says "do whatever the car says" and doesn't give intervals for anything. Even the service interval web page doesn't list set intervals.

https://owners.honda.com/servicemaintenance/minder/?year=2017&model=CR-V

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis...ferer=ownerlink

Modern cars don't just use miles driven. They have an internal counter that gets decremented based on input from lots of sensors. When I drive my Focus normally, it will go an entire year before asking for an oil change. But if I take it to the track for 2 weekends, it pops up asking me to do it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 20, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Honda might be a specific case, IIRC my 12 Civic has a mileage interval set in the console by the mechanics, but those pop up like service reminder. Upcoming service and service now is pulling from I have to guess turbidity and viscosity meters and they have never asked me to change oil at a stupid time, either too long or too short.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
My car has an oil life meter that supposedly will tell me when to change the oil but I've never seen it actually trigger no matter what I do? Probably just superior Chrysler engineering, but I change the oil at least once a year just to be safe. I don't know if the oil change people are resetting it every time but if not, it probably should say something after 5+ years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

My car has an oil life meter that supposedly will tell me when to change the oil but I've never seen it actually trigger no matter what I do? Probably just superior Chrysler engineering, but I change the oil at least once a year just to be safe. I don't know if the oil change people are resetting it every time but if not, it probably should say something after 5+ years.

That's easy - it calculated the oil consumption is high enough that you'll replace your oil completely within the recommended interval anyways.

I'm sure they're just resetting it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

zedprime posted:

Honda might be a specific case, IIRC my 12 Civic has a mileage interval set in the console by the mechanics, but those pop up like service reminder. Upcoming service and service now is pulling from I have to guess turbidity and viscosity meters and they have never asked me to change oil at a stupid time, either too long or too short.

Oil life monitors don't actually monitor the quality of the oil directly, they infer it based on your driving habits. The computer monitors things like miles driven on a given warmup cycle, engine load, throttle position, and temperatures. Since the manufacturer should have a very good idea of what your specific engine will do to its oil in those conditions, they can extrapolate how much of the oil's life you've consumed.

These things are surprisingly accurate, especially since their only goal is to keep the engine supplied with appropriate oil, without wasting oil by changing it more often than required. I ran a couple of Blackstone tests on my '13 CR-V and in both cases the estimated remaining life in the oil that the lab came up with was very close to the percentage the computer had calculated. With almost exclusively highway driving I was doing changes on that car about every 9000 miles. One of my brothers had an '06 Civic during a time when his commute was extremely short and it was actually recommending 3000 mile intervals for him.

Honda's maintenance minder in particular will actually track almost every regular service the car needs, not just engine oil - it has similar monitors for transmission fluid life, and a timer for a coolant flush / valve adjustment at 100k.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

shortspecialbus posted:

Last tractor derail:

It came today, and it is beautiful :swoon:

Just need my ROPS lights to show up. And to move all the stuff that just got dumped in random spots in the barn by the movers a month ago so that I have a better spot to put it. Maybe I'll use the bucket for that...

Very nice. Get some forks, I found that we use that for moving poo poo around much more than the bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Having reviewed a few dozen pages back itt and feeling a little embarrassed asking for a reliable car recommendation when the answer was always going to be just get a Prius.

Have been looking at the various Prius options and they seem to amount to:
-L Eco, LE, LXE models
-AWD e vs no AWD e option
-Prius Prime vs standard

It seems that the LE model is the basic no nonsense option? The model comparison table and the three options looked virtually identical beyond some very superficial stuff, really struggling to understand the cost differences.

The AWD e option seems to have marginal utility in certain winter driving conditions. My plan for winter driving is:
-don't do it, avoid it whenever possible
-have snow tires
Given that, is the AWD e worthwhile? It seems like additional complexity to the mechanical design and an extra point of failure. Don't mind having some extra help if caught in bad winter weather, but not if it decreases the overall reliability of the vehicle.

The Prime is basically just a larger battery size? I'm guessing it's not the model used by the NYC taxi fleet, which is what I'm looking for.