Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Should I say it? You know what? I'm going to say it...

Some of those are probably doubles.

Maybe a few but I have been pretty good about purging any doubles lately. I never had that many though. Why do you assume I have shelves full of doubles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

Maybe a few but I have been pretty good about purging any doubles lately. I never had that many though. Why do you assume I have shelves full of doubles?

I'm getting the impression it's a courting ritual. You respond by framing some albums you like and hanging them on the wall. That's when the magic happens.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 19, 2022

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

CPL593H posted:

Should I say it? You know what? I'm going to say it...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

sporklift posted:

What did you get?

Sanyo TP80-SA

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

sporklift posted:

I didn't say they were shelves full of doubles. Just that some of those are probably doubles.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I didn't say they were shelves full of doubles. Just that some of those are probably doubles.

Off the top of my head my doubles are:

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys
Diver Down - Van Halen
Tonight's the Night - Neil Young
Hallowed Ground - Violent Femmes
and some Dylan records that are in my "To Trade In" crate in the basement that I replaced with the mono box

Out of 2000+ that's not a very significant amount :shrug:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I have one single double, of Billy Ocean's "Suddenly". I bought it on accident; they have two different covers!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I'll buy an extra copy of Neil Young's Tonight's The Night anytime I see an affordable one for sale. Great to give away to friends who don't have it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

if I got doubles they probably arent the same pressing or if they're the same pressing I havent gotten around to A/B'ing them to keep the best one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think I have 4 copies of Christopher cross. I could only find one recently and it made me happy but I know the others are lurking

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Doubles are nice to have because every so often, someone I know will get into record collecting and I can give them all away.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Here’s my new record player. It matches the McIntosh pretty well.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

BigFactory posted:

It's a beauty!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Gawd, I love gospel, y'all. :allears:

https://dedicatedmenofzionnc.bandcamp.com/album/cant-turn-me-around

Yay, D-vine/Bible and Tire Recording Co. :dance:

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Read After Burning posted:

Gawd, I love gospel, y'all. :allears:

https://dedicatedmenofzionnc.bandcamp.com/album/cant-turn-me-around

Yay, D-vine/Bible and Tire Recording Co. :dance:

I loooove the d-vine spiritual stuff, I have most of the 45s. If you like gospel check out some of my mixes.

https://www.mixcloud.com/scottjab/

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://blog.discogs.com/en/how-to-clean-and-care-for-your-turntable-stylus/

quote:

When was the last time you cleaned the needle on your record player? If your answer is, “Hahahahahahah .. wut,” you’re not alone!
I’ve been collecting vinyl since college, which is closer to 15 years than I’d like to admit, and I don’t think I’ve more than once or twice even thought about properly cleaning my stylus, let alone giving it a try.

That’s, uh, not great, though. It turns out that stylus care is one of the easiest and most important steps to a healthy record relationship. Now that you’ve been alerted to the danger living right under your nose, take two deep breaths and follow this simple guide toward a brighter vinyl future.

What is a turntable stylus?
Did you know your record player doesn’t run on magic? That little tonearm on your turntable is some kind of mechanical wonder. The whole system contains magnets, coils, a cantilever, and a cartridge, wherein lives this tiny, diamond-tipped stylus (AKA needle) that runs across the face of your vinyl record, reading the vibrations and turning them into electrical signals. While there have been leaps and bounds of technological advancement between your Technics and the humble phonograph, it’s the same process by which phonographs worked way back in 1877. Wild.

What happens if I don’t clean it?
Your stylus is on the front line of your record-listening experience. If things break down here, it will affect every element of the process from there on out. It’s the most delicate part of your record player, and unfortunately, it’s the one taking a face-dive into the dirty trenches of your record: the grooves. As the records play, the stylus catches all that dust and dirt settled on your LP.

Are your re-, are your re-, are your re-, are your records skipping? Could be a dirty needle! Does it sound like a dusty vinyl mess? Maybe it is! A quick, 20-second clean of that stylus could turn your muckiest, scratchiest sounding LP into a golden chorus. (But hey, if the vinyl is actually scratched, that’s another story).

Even more importantly, a dust-laden, dirty needle dragging across your record could lead to further degradation of the vinyl itself. No one wants to ignorantly damage their precious, carefully-curated collection – not after I spent all that time searching for the original pressing of Lou Reed!

Which is as far as i could stand this poo poo

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

That amp is beautiful, I'm jealous

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Join me next time for 100,000 words on why it's so important to plug your turntable in

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Discogs might have an even more worthless front page than this site does.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

dorium posted:

have they fixed the thing where "trending releases" was getting filled with weird nazi poo poo? one of the reasons i just go direct to my dashboard.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

beeker posted:

have they fixed the thing where "trending releases" was getting filled with weird nazi poo poo? one of the reasons i just go direct to my dashboard.

Aren’t the trending releases based on stuff you look at and what’s in your collection?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Read After Burning posted:

That "mental orgasm" feeling of coming across the original song that's sampled in something you frequently listen to? Amazing. Unmatched. Just a full-body wave of "Ahhhh!" and then relief.

Aside from being a fantastic album in general, my mind was blown when I was listening to Ella in Berlin and realized that a sample from that version of How High the Moon was used in a Shpongle track.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

dorium posted:

Discogs has a front page?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

dorium posted:

Lately it's been "if you like X artist try these albums" type stuff for me as I sail on by to go login. They seem to be reaching the bottom of the barrel for article ideas.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

BigFactory posted:

Aren’t the trending releases based on stuff you look at and what’s in your collection?

ah, i'm misremembering. it was only happening when logged-out: https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/862345?page=1. someone was editing all the covers on weekends when staff weren't looking or something. kinda crazy they would run their front page off of an algorithm with zero approval process...

beeker fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 20, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Oh hey, that long sustained scream you heard just now was me.

https://pitchfork.com/news/taylor-swift-named-record-store-day-2022-ambassador/

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Y’all stay grumpy for no reason.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I don't care that much. RSD is a pile of poo poo anyway. I do think it's kind of a hilarious choice though given that her recent album which sold a lot of copies on vinyl was met with widespread complaints by people who can't push a button.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Only trust your fists to not touch the playing surface

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Do record store day ambassadors really do anything though? The only reason I knew Triumph was one a couple years ago was because I was looking into the box set they put out for it. It's a promo opportunity and no more.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

Do record store day ambassadors really do anything though? The only reason I knew Triumph was one a couple years ago was because I was looking into the box set they put out for it. It's a promo opportunity and no more.

I read this as Triumph the Insult Comic Dog at first and I can't think of a better permanent RSD ambassador.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CaptainBeefart posted:

I read this as Triumph the Insult Comic Dog at first and I can't think of a better permanent RSD ambassador.

Hella :same: I was like "I hope Jack McBrayer was involved!"

CPL593H posted:

I'm honestly surprised it's not Adele, with how well her album sold.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I dunno. She seems as good a person for it as anyone? At least it's not some boomer musician waxing on about fidelity and warmth.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Turbinosamente posted:

They get internet nerds panties in a wad, at least

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
At least it's not Fred Armisen as it has been before

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Hot Diggity! posted:

At least it's not Fred Armisen as it has been before

The last line of article lists the recent US specific people and I fully admit I rolled my eyes at this.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

she's also repressing some album too for RSD so yea??! i dunno man, burnt out on RSD. if it werent for the fresh stock of New Old stuff then it would be a waste of the day and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

RSD gave us a 7” of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zGk0k34tGs

So who can say if it’s bad.