Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is Frenchie in the Moon Knight show?

he just died, so not for long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

he just died, so not for long

Gaspard Ulliel played Midnight Man, not Frenchie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaspard was French.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Zzulu posted:

I liked everything in the moon knight trailer up to the part where the goofy costume showed up. I think I might just be tired of spuper heroes

I appreciate that its an attempt not to be the usual marvel shiny bullshit costumes, but I wish they had drawn from a different era of moon knight costume.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Moon Knight's costume is maybe the most extreme version of how colouring and shading in comics can produce a radically different costume visually compared to what it's "supposed" to look like. He'll be wearing a costume that is clearly all white but then you'll see something in dialogue or the narration about how his costume has lots of black. And then there designs that actually are definitely black. Or parts that should be white, like his mask, but are so often in shadow they are effectively black.

So really you can do all kinds of variations of white and black (and can't forget silver) for a live action costume and they could arguably be equally comic-accurate, even from the same era and artist.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Lobok posted:

Moon Knight's costume is maybe the most extreme version of how colouring and shading in comics can produce a radically different costume visually compared to what it's "supposed" to look like. He'll be wearing a costume that is clearly all white but then you'll see something in dialogue or the narration about how his costume has lots of black. And then there designs that actually are definitely black. Or parts that should be white, like his mask, but are so often in shadow they are effectively black.

So really you can do all kinds of variations of white and black (and can't forget silver) for a live action costume and they could arguably be equally comic-accurate, even from the same era and artist.

It's pretty on the nose for someone named after the moon.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAuhT5241h8

on one hand it's a movie making GBS threads on a terrible startup. on the other hand jared leto doing a loving weird accent.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

jared leto doing a loving weird accent.

Bit of a redundant statement, no?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Is that even what the real WeWork dude sounds like or is he just doing a weird accent because he can?

At least he's not in a ridiculous costume for this one. Not that it makes it any better really, but it could be even more annoying.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ehh, I already watched the WeWork documentary on Hulu a while back. Don't really see the point in watching a dramatization about it, especially one starring Jared Leto :barf:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Having watched the Morbius trailer about ten times at the theater I wish I could will Jared Leto away. How the heck is he so prolific these couple of years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i tink itsone of those disconnectswhere jared leo is actually super popular asa creepy dude and those of us who hate him are in the tiny minority

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

a bunch of women who were teenagers 80 years ago still have a crush on him

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im gonna go with CIA asset

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lobok posted:

Yeah it's a costume that can look loving awesome in the comic book medium but is very hard to make work in live action. Another reason comics are a superior medium.

Still, this is the rare contemporary Marvel Studios project that actually interests me, I love the character, I love Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke, and I love Benson & Moorhead who are directing a couple episodes (I know directors on Marvel projects rarely get to do anything interesting but who knows). I have no idea who told Oscar to do the goofy British accent though. I hope it was his own idea.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I saw a TikTok the other day that I'll paraphrase as "Marvel fans can't wait to cosplay by cutting two eyeholes out of a pointy white hood oh nooooooo"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Carthag Tuek posted:

"look, i had to gently caress those groupies or my cover would be blown!" :shrug:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

pissinthewind posted:

a bunch of women who were teenagers 80 years ago still have a crush on him

Yeah the power of Jordan Catalano is unreasonably strong.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I only ever liked Leto in Panic Room. The character was an amusing twat that thankfully doesn't stick around long enough to be too annoying.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah it's a costume that can look loving awesome in the comic book medium but is very hard to make work in live action. Another reason comics are a superior medium.

Still, this is the rare contemporary Marvel Studios project that actually interests me, I love the character, I love Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke, and I love Benson & Moorhead who are directing a couple episodes (I know directors on Marvel projects rarely get to do anything interesting but who knows). I have no idea who told Oscar to do the goofy British accent though. I hope it was his own idea.

One of my favorite editors is working on it, Joan Sobel. She cut Nocturnal Animals and A Single Man, which are two great films with super well crafted emotional threads. She also used to be Sally Menke's first assistant before she passed away. Real departure in terms of type of project for her, but I think it bodes well for the character development and pacing that she's involved.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

precision posted:

"look, i had to gently caress those groupies or my cover would be blown!" :shrug:

its not unheard of

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/jan/20/undercover-police-children-activists

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Disposable Scud posted:

I only ever liked Leto in Panic Room.

late 90s to early 00s jared leto is pretty decent, i dont have many complaints. after that, well

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lmao jesus christ

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Did I miss all the discussion around this? Probably. I don't care though, I will watch Michelle Yeoh in anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxN1T1uxQ2g

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
It was posted a while back. Everyone seemed positive about it. Didn't do much for me, but I'll probably watch it anyway.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Did I miss all the discussion around this? Probably. I don't care though, I will watch Michelle Yeoh in anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxN1T1uxQ2g

You did, and yeah same

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it looks like it will be an absolutely stupid amount of fun

edit: and probably a better matrix 4 than matrix 4

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

precision posted:

lmao jesus christ

There is a reason ACAB came from the UK.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Samovar posted:

There is a reason ACAB came from the UK.

I was quite surprised when I saw ACAB in Germany in the middle of local Antifa graffiti. With traditional German efficiency, in their vernacular "schwein" can mean both "cop" and "bastard".

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Netflix released a teaser for the Pinocchio stop motion project directed by del Toro and Gustafson. It looks pretty rad.

https://youtu.be/Yo02mwsWbAI

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was already sick of Hollywood announcing like three different loving Pinocchio movies at the same time that I wasn’t interested by default even though it’s Del Toro, but hey it being stop motion is a nice surprise

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hakkesshu posted:

I was already sick of Hollywood announcing like three different loving Pinocchio movies at the same time that I wasn’t interested by default even though it’s Del Toro, but hey it being stop motion is a nice surprise

I guess, but that trailer is a whole lot of nothing for me. I know, I know, it’s a teaser. But my interest level remains at about zero.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

So when do they release an actual trailer for this

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of the Lord

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

clown shoes posted:

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of the Lord

If we see balrogs leading massive armies of orcs in R-rated battles then I’m down

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MLSM posted:

If we see balrogs leading massive armies of orcs in R-rated battles then I’m down

Watch Bezos make the orcs evil because they unionize.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
im tired of all these hobbit wars

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

Watch Bezos make the orcs evil because they unionize.

"Let's hurry, Teledildor!"
"Wait, Zinfandel! I must take a moment to pee!"
"On company time? Here, use this bottle, it was forged by the elves!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wheel of Time had about zero cultural impact despite all the money Amazon burned on it, and I fully expect the new LOTR series to be exactly the same. Though I do miss GoT being this massive cultural phenomenon — when was the last time the world collectively paid attention to a TV series like that? Squid Games, maybe?