Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The event sucks, and should have been cancelled instead of just delayed.
https://twitter.com/freyfreyXIV/status/1484117881315020809?s=20

Being serious, though, I really like the little duty they have you do. :allears: I know why they can't do something like it for every event every year, but I'm happy to see it every time they put one in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wait the nose doesn't even work? I expected the hat but the nose too??

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Right?!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Oxyclean posted:

90 exdr question: Is Stigma Dreamscape just playing eScape? For some reason I had thought it was a different mix.

It's a recording of the song played by the band live. Rather than the mix from O11.

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

The version of the song played in that dungeon can be found on the Journeys arrange album from a couple years ago.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I just turned 88 with Reaper (well I'm 89 now but I've been doing roulettes). How does Plentiful Harvest work? I don't understand what decides if I can use the ability or not.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

So I just turned 88 with Reaper (well I'm 89 now but I've been doing roulettes). How does Plentiful Harvest work? I don't understand what decides if I can use the ability or not.

You need at least one stack of Immortal Sacrifice, which you have a chance to get whenever you or a party member land a GCD attack while Arcane Circle is active. It can stack up to 8 and Plentiful Harvest does more damage when you have more stacks, but you can also use it with just one stack if you just want the 50 shroud gauge ASAP.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Harrow posted:

You need at least one stack of Immortal Sacrifice, which you have a chance to get whenever you or a party member land a GCD attack while Arcane Circle is active. It can stack up to 8 and Plentiful Harvest does more damage when you have more stacks, but you can also use it with just one stack if you just want the 50 shroud gauge ASAP.

I see. I was not understanding that it required Arcane Circle

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You also cannot use it for at least 6 seconds once you've hit Arcane Circle.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
It would be nice if they could work on making seasonal event hats wearable for Viera and Hrothgar.

The latter would look great in a little top hat.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah once Plentiful Harvest is pressable, you already have as many stacks as you're going to get. There's no point in waiting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HackensackBackpack posted:

The third segment makes me uncomfortable.

I can never tell which way the butterflies are pointed, so I have to just follow someone else and hope.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Subjunctive posted:

I can never tell which way the butterflies are pointed, so I have to just follow someone else and hope.

There are little arrows on the ground underneath them! I felt like an idiot once I noticed that :v:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

They have the facing arrow under them like any other enemy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Begemot posted:

There are little arrows on the ground underneath them! I felt like an idiot once I noticed that :v:

Saint Freak posted:

what the actual hell

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
notably if you do the entire BSF storyline you can see the line aoe with facing mechanics well before the 90 msq dungeon!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Saint Freak posted:

gently caress you

I'm sure you're right but I need to be mad at someone other than myself for not noticing this for all this time so gently caress you for being right :argh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Following up on that display of mastery, I’m interested in trying the ex trials and even a peek at maybe savage raid, but I’m terribly intimidated and not what I really consider to be a very good player (I routinely go half a dungeon before remembering to draw a card on AST, for example). Is there some path to practice that would improve confidence and skill, or should I just satisfy myself aiming for mechanic-perfect runs of p1-4n?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Subjunctive posted:

what the actual hell

sexpig by night posted:

gently caress you

I'm sure you're right but I need to be mad at someone other than myself for not noticing this for all this time so gently caress you for being right :argh:

There's a gold ring around the butterflies while the ground is yellow, so it's not surprising if you missed it.

Onean fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 20, 2022

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Following up on that display of mastery, I’m interested in trying the ex trials and even a peek at maybe savage raid, but I’m terribly intimidated and not what I really consider to be a very good player (I routinely go half a dungeon before remembering to draw a card on AST, for example). Is there some path to practice that would improve confidence and skill, or should I just satisfy myself aiming for mechanic-perfect runs of p1-4n?

Pretty much just look up a guide for the job you're gonna play and then practice getting your opener and general rotation on a dummy until you feel like you can do it without looking at your hotbars. Then look up a video guide for the fight you wanna try your hand at. EX fights are harder than Normal raids but they don't demand perfection and you can absolutely clear even if everyone sucks and has bad-mediocre gear.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

pandaemonium normals are a good starting point i think. they've got enough going on to keep you on your toes and at the same time practice your class. after that i'd say try to find a practice group for the extremes. they're not nearly as tough as savage, and are pretty fun to practice. watch videos if you want before to have an idea what to do. just go for it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

sexpig by night posted:

gently caress you

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
...or it's not gold! I'm 0 for 2 in talking about mechanics in the past few minutes, being wrong on both accounts. Maybe I should actually just need to go to bed instead of staying up...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Subjunctive posted:

If you're going in as dps, you can try out the Stone, Sky, Sea target dummies for the current content. If you can clear, or get close, your base job mechanics are fine. If you're far from the mark, and you meet the ilvl requirements, your rotation or something mechanical needs work. DPS output is less important for tanks or healers, but you can use the normal raids as a step stool for tanking or healing, as well as doing dps under boss mechanics.

The Extremes are still a big step up from normal trials and raids, so the legit best method of learning is either join or create a learning group. Bring some friends so you know you'll have a chill group. Most groups at this point will also expect you know the basics through a video or text guide, so that doesn't hurt.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Despite doing every extreme in the game that I can think of, I still get nervous and put off joining new content for way too long. So I know your hesitancy, friend.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The current Ex trials have relatively lenient dps checks, so if you're dipping your toe in for the first time focus on learning the mechanics and the timing of when things happen. You'll want to make sure your output is good too, but having a flawless opener doesn't mean much if you splat to the first thing more complicated than a telegraphed AoE circle.

Video guides help, but actually running the trials is important to figure out the timing of when things happen and how fast. It's kind of a process of learning a dance, sometimes with a decision to move left or move right depending on what the boss is doing. Once you get used to an ex fight or savage raid, your approach to beating it will actually be very similar every time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

God, I really regret trying to get omnicrafting up. Despite Ishgard being relatively quick, it's super boring, and I'm running out of gil for mats.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

God, I really regret trying to get omnicrafting up. Despite Ishgard being relatively quick, it's super boring, and I'm running out of gil for mats.

There's no real rush with new master recipes being a fair ways out, so I'd honestly recommend doing it via Beast Tribes instead. I got all my crafters to 70 doing that, and probably would've taken them to 80 if Dwarves dropped sooner. I had a little routine where I'd log on in the morning and do my dailies with a cup of coffee, and it was a pretty relaxing experience. It'll take a couple of months, but it's a much saner way of getting them to 90 if you find the process of crafting while listening to a podcast interminably dull.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

if you gather the mats yourself you don't have to spend any gil leveling. in fact you can earn gil leveling by selling kupo voucher rewards, and dyes and mounts purchased with skybuilders scrip.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Vermain posted:

There's no real rush with new master recipes being a fair ways out, so I'd honestly recommend doing it via Beast Tribes instead. I got all my crafters to 70 doing that, and probably would've taken them to 80 if Dwarves dropped sooner. I had a little routine where I'd log on in the morning and do my dailies with a cup of coffee, and it was a pretty relaxing experience. It'll take a couple of months, but it's a much saner way of getting them to 90 if you find the process of crafting while listening to a podcast interminably dull.

dwarf beast tribe xp stops entirely at 80, so you'd have to do one of leves/GC turn-ins/studiums/collectables/weekly deliveries in order to level them 80-90, currently.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Frida Call Me posted:

dwarf beast tribe xp stops entirely at 80, so you'd have to do one of leves/GC turn-ins/studiums/collectables/weekly deliveries in order to level them 80-90, currently.

80-90 is an absolute breeze with a mix of leve rewards and collectables. I hammered all of my crafters to max in the span of, like, 2-3 days, and that was with me being leve starved and having to resort to largely doing collectables.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Does GC turn in exp slow down at some point? I’m still mid 50s and it seems like a HQ gets you more than a level

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Erg posted:

Does GC turn in exp slow down at some point? I’m still mid 50s and it seems like a HQ gets you more than a level

Nope! I got my crafter classes from 80 to 90 pretty much entirely through them. Amazing XP.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Erg posted:

It seems to slow down a bit late, but even in the mid-80s it still gives a massive chunk of exp if you turn in a HQ item. Especially if that entry is starred for the day.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Macaluso posted:

The only downside to that dungeon is that if you go back in explorer mode everything in the third section is already dead.

Praise be to Ra-La. :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vermain posted:

I have them all at 61+ now so I think I'll take a break from this point. I already do GC turnins but I'm impatient so :byodood:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Frida Call Me posted:

if you gather the mats yourself you don't have to spend any gil leveling.

even worse

quote:

in fact you can earn gil leveling by selling kupo voucher rewards, and dyes and mounts purchased with skybuilders scrip.

I tried that and no one has bought my Casual Attire coffer yet :negative:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Subjunctive posted:

Doing well in the normal raid fights is a good start. When I started doing Savage as a DPS job in June 2020 I hadn't touched any of the Extreme fights but I was parsing in the 80-90 range in the normal and alliance raid fights so I knew I had a pretty good grasp on my job and was able to do that damage without dying to mechanics. Damage parsing as a healer is weird because it also depends on how much damage the rest of your party is taking but as long as you have the mindset of "If I'm not healing or putting up mitigation, I should be trying to do damage" then you're going to be okay.

The other part of getting into hard fights is preparing yourself mentally. Don't be afraid to fail as part of the learning process, and don't be too stubborn if others are offering advice. Ask questions if you need some help with understanding something.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

even worse

I tried that and no one has bought my Casual Attire coffer yet :negative:

I found the fastest way to sell those was to just open them and sell off the individual parts people want. Sometimes people just want hoodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TGLT posted:

I found the fastest way to sell those was to just open them and sell off the individual parts people want. Sometimes people just want hoodies.

yea hats and hoodies sell faster than boxes in my DC at least, people want specific things for their casual glam that are hard to substitute more than they want the full set