Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The weirdest part is how this happens after they're discussing specific transactions. Did they not perform verification before that? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

That’s what I was going to say. You were messaging them via apple business chat which is their secure support line in iMessage. No way for that to be phished or impersonated.

i mean the news lately was the NSO group being able to exfiltrate data from your phone just by sending you an imessage, which pretended to be an animated gif but was actually a specially crafted PDF that exploited old PDF code to generate it's own virtual operating system inside the iphone so it could read, manipulate and transmit your private data.. so i wouldn't say, "no way" but more like, "are you important enough for them to use resources to create something like that?"

but uhh yea i think i'd go with, it's probably legit.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Shroomie posted:

Inquiries affect your FICO for 12 months but they're usually negligible long before then. How much it lowered your average age of accounts could be of some concern, but that's going to depend on the rest of your credit profile.

A 6+ month old card probably isn't going to hurt your mortgage prospects much. Just make sure you've got single digit utilization percentage across the board when you go house shopping.

my usage rate on my most often used card is about 16% according to my previous month's balance divided by the credit limit on the card. I have another card that is basically getting 1% usage. they're both on chase, and i believe chase will let me move my credit limits around and so i'm planning on moving more credit to this more often used card to lower the usage rate. if i do this now to get my usage rate to <10%, would that be sufficient time you think? i'm planning on getting the new 2% card in a couple of days so it'd be at least 5 whole months since my last credit card.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I've always heard usage was averaged out, so it shouldn't matter (I usually carry 15-20% on one card and ~1% on 8 other cards).

Would love to know if I was wrong.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Having a single high utilization card will ding your score regardless if your average is low.

I churn 0% APR promos to keep a balance and pay the minimum until the promo expires and rinse repeat. So I have 1 or 2 cards at 80 - 90% constantly. And this definitely lowers my score.*

*Just to head off the, "then why do it?": Because if you don't use your credit score, why do you even care what it is? I still get accepted for the cards I apply for, so vOv.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Strong Sauce posted:

i mean the news lately was the NSO group being able to exfiltrate data from your phone just by sending you an imessage, which pretended to be an animated gif but was actually a specially crafted PDF that exploited old PDF code to generate it's own virtual operating system inside the iphone so it could read, manipulate and transmit your private data.. so i wouldn't say, "no way" but more like, "are you important enough for them to use resources to create something like that?"

but uhh yea i think i'd go with, it's probably legit.

I have gotten iMessage spam and I legit worry about stuff like this.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

I have gotten iMessage spam and I legit worry about stuff like this.

iMessage spam is different than verified Apple Business Chat messages. https://www.apple.com/ios/business-chat/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s so weird that my CSR fee is charged on Jan 1 but the $300 Travel Credit resets apparently on Dec 11th or so. If I didn’t renew, I assume they would claw that back but why not just make the travel credit use a calendar year?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

smackfu posted:

It’s so weird that my CSR fee is charged on Jan 1 but the $300 Travel Credit resets apparently on Dec 11th or so. If I didn’t renew, I assume they would claw that back but why not just make the travel credit use a calendar year?

This was originally the way it was, but I think people were signing up and using the credit two or three times before cancelling, on one AF.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

smackfu posted:

Product change to something else, then back to the CSR. Or product change some other card to a CSR. It'll become cardmember year instead of 'almost calendar year except it ends with your December statement date' or whatever it was.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah, that makes more sense that I’m on some grandfathered thing that they can’t change because it would either help or hurt existing members.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Hey goons, i am going to make a big 5k purchases soon, is there any good credit card deals out there that i can exploit for this big purchase?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What kind of purchase?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Medullah posted:

What kind of purchase?

Electric motor and transmission.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

wargames posted:

Hey goons, i am going to make a big 5k purchases soon, is there any good credit card deals out there that i can exploit for this big purchase?

Citi Premier has an 80K point sign up bonus.

Amex Gold and Platinum have 75K and 125K respectively if you apply through Resy.

Amex points are geared more towards travelers, whereas you should be able to redeem the Citi points for $800 in cold hard cash.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

wargames posted:

Electric motor and transmission.

You buying an EV piecemeal?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Shroomie posted:

Citi Premier has an 80K point sign up bonus.

Amex Gold and Platinum have 75K and 125K respectively if you apply through Resy.

Amex points are geared more towards travelers, whereas you should be able to redeem the Citi points for $800 in cold hard cash.

Going for citi then, thanks.

Cacafuego posted:

You buying an EV piecemeal?

Replacing a marine diesel in a sailboat, because that is the cheaper option.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

wargames posted:

Going for citi then, thanks.

Replacing a marine diesel in a sailboat, because that is the cheaper option.

Ahh cool, I didn’t know that was an option for boats!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

Ahh cool, I didn’t know that was an option for boats!

for slower boats yep.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone have any opinions on the Peloton app subscription, since apparently there is a $120 credit included with the CSR? The app is $13 a month so not quite free but $36 a year isn’t bad if it’s good. (This is different from the bike subscription, apparently.)

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Are there any particularly good 0% for x months balance transfers going on atm?

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 6, 2022

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Rakeris posted:

Are there any particularly good 0% for x months going on atm?

I usually suggest this card because balance transfers and cash advances are ALWAYS fee-free and there has been a 12mo 0% intro offer ever since I became aware of it and signed up myself.

They sent me a retention offer of 12-mo @ 2.99% fixed a few years in and I took it because that's cheaper than the fee alone from most 0% offers I was looking at and was willing to pay it without needing to open a new card. The 10K minimum limit is also nice.

First Tech is a solid CU, too. Been with them for over 20 years as my primary.

That said, I haven't looked around so others may have better suggestions.

DCU also has a yearly 6-mo 0%/$0 offer that they give out on their card each January, I think it's limited to existing card holders, though, so you might be too late for this cycle.

EDIT: I'm dumb and just realized you're not specifically talking about balance transfers.

Chase has 15-mo. + $200 on Freedom Unlimited/Flex atm.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 6, 2022

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I actually meant balance transfers (edited for clarity), so that helps, thanks!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are you going with beta marine to repower

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Does the Amazon prime visa 2% back from restaurants include Seamless?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Snowy posted:

Does the Amazon prime visa 2% back from restaurants include Seamless?

Depends on how it's coded. Seamless is a promo for Amex Gold so I've never used a Chase card with it, so I don't have any data points for you.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Seamless codes as a restaurant on my Chase Sapphire Reserve.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Citi's Double Cash is changing a bit on March 28 (earning ThankYou points instead of dollars, removing the $25 minimum):

https://online.citi.com/US/JRS/portal/template.do?ID=double-cash

At least you can easily redeem ThankYou points for a penny each these days, or transfer them to potentially get more value than that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

astral posted:

Citi's Double Cash is changing a bit on March 28 (earning ThankYou points instead of dollars, removing the $25 minimum):

At least you can easily redeem ThankYou points for a penny each these days, or transfer them to potentially get more value than that.

Seems like an overall positive change due to removing the minimum, hopefully they don't screw with the cash value of those points down the road.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I use mine for the straight cash value to my statement but if they end up doing something where a point can go further that'd be cool

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

I use mine for the straight cash value to my statement but if they end up doing something where a point can go further that'd be cool
I got a US Bank Altitude Go card in October and went to redeem my rewards for the first time. Most gifts cards were 1 point = 1 cent (the ones are sale were 8-10% off) and same for flights. Merchandise was at least MSRP.

4% cash back on restaurants/bars/delivery it is.

Vox Nihili posted:

Seems like an overall positive change due to removing the minimum, hopefully they don't screw with the cash value of those points down the road.
Weren't Thank You points 1 point = 0.8 cents at some point? Citi would definitely be shooting themselves in the foot considering how aggressively Wells Fargo has been marketing their 2% card.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 21, 2022

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Weren't Thank You points 1 point = 0.8 cents at some point? Citi would definitely be shooting themselves in the foot considering how aggressively Wells Fargo has been marketing their 2% card.

Yeah, I'll dump it the second it's less than an actual 2% cash back card.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Well I’ve come full circle now. I PC’d my Thank You preferred card to the double cash when It came out, and now it’s back to thank you points.

Not sure about this but I mostly use my credit union 2% card these days anyway.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I got a US Bank Altitude Go card in October and went to redeem my rewards for the first time. Most gifts cards were 1 point = 1 cent (the ones are sale were 8-10% off) and same for flights. Merchandise was at least MSRP.

4% cash back on restaurants/bars/delivery it is.

This sounds great, but US Bank has the WORST app, website, and points accrual/redemption tracking features, and it’s not even close.

I have the Cash+ card, and when I first got it, I tried to do the math and make sure I was properly getting my 5% cask back. They calculate it in such a backwards obtuse way - eventually I concluded that I WAS getting the proper cash back, but now I basically just have to trust the system because no way am I digging through their terrible website again.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

astral posted:

the link astral provided went down. did they change their mind?

heres the google cache copy: [url]https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:sbRLOvLqCbQJ:https://online.citi.com/US/JRS/portal/template.do%3FID%3Ddouble-cash+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us[/url]

does anyone know the reasoning for this change? is it to stay competitive or are they taking away something while presenting it as a customer benefit? from what i recall chase has not changed their reward points in a while if they ever have.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Link still works for me. Try a private/incognito window?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

yeah that worked.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

This sounds great, but US Bank has the WORST app, website, and points accrual/redemption tracking features, and it’s not even close.

Quoting for truth. I used one of their cards for a 0% APR offer. Their website is so loving awful that I won't use them for anything again, not even scumming bank account bonuses.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If I've already got the Chase Freedom Unlimited as a daily driver for adding points to a Sapphire Preferred, how much more value would I realistically get from adding a Freedom Flex? I know that would complete the Trifecta and all, but it's also one more card to track (all within the Chase app, thankfully). Does anyone here feel properly rewarded for tying and untying a Flex from quarterly categories, or is it an annoying hurdle? It would at least rake in another $200 signup bonus in exchange for the ding to my credit score...

Looking at past categories, I think internet, phone, groceries, and WalMart could net an okay return at 5% back, but the rest wouldn't affect me. Anyone rocking the Trifecta want to complete my conversion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I have all three (well, the Reserve, but switching to the Preferred soon), and I think the Flex is worth having. I really only use it half the year, for groceries and PayPal, but it's easy to get a lot of value out of both categories. Keep in mind that the Preferred increases your rewards redemption by 25%, so it's effectively 6.25% back. In any case, it's a free card... even if you just get the signup bonus and stick it in a drawer you've already come out ahead.