Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/1484019637998268416?s=10

Very intelligent people at work here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1484148452963622915?t=Mi3eWrgqWIqey4-yD-7abA&s=19

I'd like to remind everyone that Joe could still positively alter the course of the lives of millions of Americans with the swipe of a pen, but actively chooses not to.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Not nurse related, but there are some lunatics locally who did a bunch of "Release of Information" requests on emails about mask policy in our schools, and they have been posting full contact information of anybody that wrote an email to our school district supporting a mask mandate, including teachers. It's pretty great stuff to have to deal with, we sent some emails concerning our kids anxiety and I'm hoping they don't start blasting those kinds of things out into public.

edit: it's extra cool because they are using FB and they have no tools, or willingness to deal with doxxing.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
In a move that literally no one should be surprised with, the CIA is training "stay behind" cells in Ukraine (something actually useful and worthwhile, a switch for them!).

https://twitter.com/JackMurphyRGR/status/1484232244797616131?t=TuUeU44eoci3jJLYxy7DqA&s=19

This has a lot of precedent. In the Cold War, we had arouns 100-200+ SF Green Beret guys under cover (long hair, civilian jobs, etc) stationed in Berlin trained in explosives, sabotage, covert action, covert communication, and German and Russian language who would wreak havoc on Russian supply lines if poo poo ever went hot.

Some great reading on the unit.
 Special Forces Berlin: Clandestine Cold War Operations of the U.S. Army’s Elite, 1956-90.
https://www.amazon.com/Special-Forc...-special-forces

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Arrath posted:

Given the average budget and schedule overrun on nuclear plant construction... Uh, maybe a decade ago?

Just buy a Virginia class sub and park them everywhere. They are coming off the line under budget and on time.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bored As gently caress posted:

Holy loving poo poo

At what point do you just have to up and bring those people back with you as climate refugees? Without fresh water those people are completely reliant on outside help. At what point do these people realize their home is unfortunately not adequately habitable any longer?

On another note, at what point do we need to start building nuclear power plants to power massive desalinization plants because WE'RE going to run out of fresh water? Why the gently caress isn't anyone important or in power talking about this poo poo? Why the gently caress are we fighting about water in the western states when the federal government can create tens of thousands of jobs making nuke plants and desalination plants and make sure we have enough loving water, the literal lifeblood of humanity without which we're all going to loving die but cool cool cool lets just let corporations keep buying the rights to it we'll just all have to become loving moisture farmers won't we?

look at this guy who thinks Nestle won't make dehumidifier possession a capital offense

It's already illegal to have more than 100 gallons of rainwater storage in Colorado

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1484148452963622915?t=Mi3eWrgqWIqey4-yD-7abA&s=19

I'd like to remind everyone that Joe could still positively alter the course of the lives of millions of Americans with the swipe of a pen, but actively chooses not to.

healthcare please

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

shame on an IGA posted:

look at this guy who thinks Nestle won't make dehumidifier possession a capital offense

It's already illegal to have more than 100 gallons of rainwater storage in Colorado

What the gently caress?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What the gently caress?

You don’t own the water rights!!!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What the gently caress?

Just because it falls on your land, doesn't mean its yours!

Like how property often won't come with the underlying mineral rights in some parts of the country.

Water rights are hosed up, archaic bullshit that need modernizing as badly as other articles of our government.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, our water rights laws are loving weird here.

Iirc the rain barrels were only made legal in the past few years.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Arrath posted:

Just because it falls on your land, doesn't mean its yours!

Like how property often won't come with the underlying mineral rights in some parts of the country.

Water rights are hosed up, archaic bullshit that need modernizing as badly as other articles of our government.

I bet they start changing pretty drastically in the next decade, like right after President Don Jr. shuts the Rio Grande off to Mexico!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The stated intent of that law is to prevent the diversion of water that needs to return to the ground to refill aquifers, rivers, whatever. I'm not entirely convinced homeowners are even remotely a concern when it comes to conservation.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Tiny Timbs posted:

The stated intent of that law is to prevent the diversion of water that needs to return to the ground to refill aquifers, rivers, whatever.

Yeah, and I have no real problem with this. If you have a well or are on a tap, just use that (county dependent).

The rain barrels were made a thing because you technically can't use house supply water for outside purposes (besides lawns in most counties). You need 35+ acres to use a well or city water for 1 acre of irrigation, unless the land parcel is explicitly agricultural with no structures intended for residency, ag related only.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What the gently caress?

Prepare to have your brain melted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prior-appropriation_water_rights

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ooccouchgags/status/1484168454060089344?s=21

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
It makes sense that you don't just own any water that passes through your property. Like if you own some land that has a river running through it, you can't just dam it off and screw everyone downriver. Rainfall refills aqueducts and rivers, just capturing any that falls on your property can have downstream ecological and economic effects.

It's the same deal the other way around, in many places you can't just modify your property in a way that prevents rain absorption. A lot of states have laws that developers or property owners need to abate or pay additional taxes based on how much natural water retention is impacted (like what percentage of the land is made impermeable, etc). Ever see those drainage basins near subdivisions? It's often because there is more rain runoff than there was before development paved over a bunch of land.

A lot of these laws definitely need modernization, but water systems are complex and require regulation that considers upstream and downstream effects.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh no she's done after this. Well maybe not considering reality but god we can all hope. I hope she gets cheated out of her lobbying or consulting gigs too. gently caress her

I hope she does try a presidential run and ends up with Andrew Yang yelling at lampposts.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Remember friends, capitalism cannot fail, it can only be failed. We just have to believe hard enough. Suppress those negative thoughts like "the health care system is near collapse." Just power through it and we will triumph!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

You talking about student debt?

Gotta hand it to everyone that called the worse case scenario with the election of Biden. Guy's agenda has been completely upended by the machinations of two bozos and ay no point did it ever look like any kind of hardball approach was being considered.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 21, 2022

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It makes sense that you don't just own any water that passes through your property. Like if you own some land that has a river running through it, you can't just dam it off and screw everyone downriver. Rainfall refills aqueducts and rivers, just capturing any that falls on your property can have downstream ecological and economic effects.

It's the same deal the other way around, in many places you can't just modify your property in a way that prevents rain absorption. A lot of states have laws that developers or property owners need to abate or pay additional taxes based on how much natural water retention is impacted (like what percentage of the land is made impermeable, etc). Ever see those drainage basins near subdivisions? It's often because there is more rain runoff than there was before development paved over a bunch of land.

A lot of these laws definitely need modernization, but water systems are complex and require regulation that considers upstream and downstream effects.

Once I get a forever home I'm installing my own well, and a 5,000 gallon underground water tank.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Water rights are use it or lose it in CA but you can sell your “surplus”.
Something for nothing. It’s bullshit.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Once I get a forever home I'm installing my own well, and a 5,000 gallon underground water tank.

Going to want to put probably a dozen air stone pumps for that tank, btw. And some circulation pumps.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
Everyone’s favorite representative from North Carolina was caught cleaning a gun during burn pit testimony Task & Purpose Link

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Going to want to put probably a dozen air stone pumps for that tank, btw. And some circulation pumps.

I'm obviously years away from this, but could you explain why?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, our water rights laws are loving weird here.

Iirc the rain barrels were only made legal in the past few years.

Historically, the only people who actually run afowl of those kinds of laws are people who try to make like 100' wide lakes and poo poo. No one gets busted by the state for a barrel.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean I'd be screaming I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA if someone tried to tell me a 20 cube tank was illegal

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I'm obviously years away from this, but could you explain why?

You don't really want water to sit stagnating. If you're going to store large quantities of it, you want some way to keep it moving. Bacteria loves stagnating water.

CainFortea posted:

Historically, the only people who actually run afowl of those kinds of laws are people who try to make like 100' wide lakes and poo poo. No one gets busted by the state for a barrel.

It was obviously enough of an issue for people to write their representatives about it and have the law changed to allow rain barrels. Not saying you're wrong, but a handful of people probably caught tickets over it from overzealous city officials in places like Boulder. No one outside of the front range really seems to give a poo poo anyhow.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 21, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Current Event:

It is Buzz Aldrin's 92nd birthday.

https://youtu.be/cQKVdVqFZv0

bengy81
May 8, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You don't really want water to sit stagnating. If you're going to store large quantities of it, you want some way to keep it moving. Bacteria loves stagnating water.

It was obviously enough of an issue for people to write their representatives about it and have the law changed to allow rain barrels. Not saying you're wrong, but a handful of people probably caught tickets over it from overzealous city officials in places like Boulder. No one outside of the front range really seems to give a poo poo anyhow.

It became a problem in a lot of places around here because of sporadic enforcement of laws, and of course, HOA's. Lots of communities started putting limits on watering and whatnot, and people wanted to supplement the watering with rain barrels.

IIRC, there was a guy that got busted after they were made legal, because he had like a quarter acre lot full of 100 gallon barrels to collect water.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol, clearly that guy made the same mistake weed people often do when moving out here and didn't read the specifics to the law. Just said "oh cool" to the rain barrels part and went hog wild.

Like every idiot that gets busted for having 3 dozen weed plants scattered around their back yard and not a medical card in sight.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'm late to the Washington State party, but for those who live there, is there any place in that state that's relatively normal-priced for living/renting? Our rent in Vegas is $1600+ (E: and vegas prices are among the fastest-rising, cool) and I'd like to move up to the PNW because I am tired of 110F deserts but I'm totally loving inexperienced when it comes to moving that far and know little about the region.

Grip it and rip it posted:

You talking about student debt?

Gotta hand it to everyone that called the worse case scenario with the election of Biden. Guy's agenda has been completely upended by the machinations of two bozos and ay no point did it ever look like any kind of hardball approach was being considered.

Not just student debt, I imagine, but lots of things that he could take action on but just... isn't. I mean, consider that we're only just now distributing COVID tests, a year into his presidency, and even then that's limited.

I am absolutely not handing it to Trump here, but his approach to doing poo poo was to just do it, drat the rules. gently caress up everything and let it burn until someone goes "wait, that's not actually legal to do". Biden's plan is to do basically nothing and the idiot senators have been a useful excuse to do just that.

Everyone saw it coming because it's basically Obama Term 3. Though Obama at least had some charisma.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Zamujasa posted:

I'm late to the Washington State party, but for those who live there, is there any place in that state that's relatively normal-priced for living/renting? Our rent in Vegas is $1600+ (E: and vegas prices are among the fastest-rising, cool) and I'd like to move up to the PNW because I am tired of 110F deserts but I'm totally loving inexperienced when it comes to moving that far and know little about the region.
You could query the Seattle thread, which might be able to give an idea for the metro area, at least. Would help to specify bedrooms/sq ft you're looking for, or other must-haves, to better gauge things.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

In a move that literally no one should be surprised with, the CIA is training "stay behind" cells in Ukraine (something actually useful and worthwhile, a switch for them!).

https://twitter.com/JackMurphyRGR/status/1484232244797616131?t=TuUeU44eoci3jJLYxy7DqA&s=19

This has a lot of precedent. In the Cold War, we had arouns 100-200+ SF Green Beret guys under cover (long hair, civilian jobs, etc) stationed in Berlin trained in explosives, sabotage, covert action, covert communication, and German and Russian language who would wreak havoc on Russian supply lines if poo poo ever went hot.

Some great reading on the unit.
 Special Forces Berlin: Clandestine Cold War Operations of the U.S. Army’s Elite, 1956-90.
https://www.amazon.com/Special-Forc...-special-forces

Seconding that book, it's a great read.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Zamujasa posted:

Not just student debt, I imagine, but lots of things that he could take action on but just... isn't. I mean, consider that we're only just now distributing COVID tests, a year into his presidency, and even then that's limited.

I am absolutely not handing it to Trump here, but his approach to doing poo poo was to just do it, drat the rules. gently caress up everything and let it burn until someone goes "wait, that's not actually legal to do". Biden's plan is to do basically nothing and the idiot senators have been a useful excuse to do just that.

Everyone saw it coming because it's basically Obama Term 3. Though Obama at least had some charisma.

Depends on what kind of place you're looking for. I live in a fairly spacious 2 bedroom apartment in Seattle for $1600 a month. My old 2 bedroom apartment in Tacoma was 1100 a month. I like living in the city because there's tons of stuff to do and I never have to worry about commuting through traffic, I always just take city streets to get places.

Like most places, it's more expensive in the city and gets cheaper the further out you are. Western WA has tons of cool little towns, especially the ones along the Puget Sound.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I live in port orchard across the water from Seattle and I see rooms rent for under $1000 frequently. Apartments are kinda scarce here because the shipyards pay well but certainly less than Seattle.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

In non-horrible news, the James Webb space telescope is now fully deployed and has moved all of its 18 mirror hexagons into position and is cruising into Lagrange point 2 insertion which should happen in about ~3 days from now.

I'm honestly amazed they pulled it off. It felt like there was about a million different things that could go wrong and if anything wasn't 100% perfect it would have resulted in a $10 billion piece of space junk. Looking forward to a whole new level of existential dread when it starts beaming back images.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nuclear Tourist posted:

In non-horrible news, the James Webb space telescope is now fully deployed and has moved all of its 18 mirror hexagons into position and is cruising into Lagrange point 2 insertion which should happen in about ~3 days from now.

I'm honestly amazed they pulled it off. It felt like there was about a million different things that could go wrong and if anything wasn't 100% perfect it would have resulted in a $10 billion piece of space junk. Looking forward to a whole new level of existential dread when it starts beaming back images.

Yeah, I kept waiting to hear that something went *fzzzt* when they tried to turn it on. I suppose something still might go wrong with insertion, but it seems way less likely somehow.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Now for what... 4-6 months of calibrations and testing before going through the list of things they want to image... I wonder what they use for calibration targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
There's a yer mom joke in there somewhere