Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Just finished Lucky Star. Whoever it was that described the show as "anime Seinfeld" was spot-on. I think I got like 10% of the references, but it was a real chill vibe and I enjoyed it.

I see that Funimation has the OVA, but it seems like it's only in Japanese; is that right? Or did they release an English dub, too?

Also, I'm thinking about watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya since that's so heavily referenced by this show, and I remember it being a big sensation at the time. Was it actually good, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

surf rock posted:

Also, I'm thinking about watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya since that's so heavily referenced by this show, and I remember it being a big sensation at the time. Was it actually good, though?

In my opinion? Yes, absolutely

In other news, the Shenmue anime announced a while back will be out on February 5th:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2022/01/19/shenmue-the-animation-to-premiere-on-february-5

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

surf rock posted:

it's incredible. important: make sure you watch in broadcast order

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

haruhi is still pretty good as long as you watch it in the original broadcast order to maintain the mystery, but it's probably the most 'you had to be there' anime of all time

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

surf rock posted:

Just finished Lucky Star. Whoever it was that described the show as "anime Seinfeld" was spot-on. I think I got like 10% of the references, but it was a real chill vibe and I enjoyed it.

I see that Funimation has the OVA, but it seems like it's only in Japanese; is that right? Or did they release an English dub, too?

If you haven't yet, another otaku show from that era that's worth watching is Genshiken (and the subsequent related series, although I know quite a few otaku who erroneously think it's bad for focusing on another side of anime nerdery).

Yuyushiki also has a similar sort of vibe to Lucky Star, so that might also be of interest.
Oh, and basically every single Cute Girls Doing Cute Stuff show is inspired directly by Lucky Star, so if that's your jam there's a whole genre of it (that's not as popular as it once was, but still has a few shows each year spread over the seasons).

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Well, poo poo, I'm gathering based on all of the warnings that the order that Funimation is showing the episodes is not the original broadcast order? Is there a list somewhere of the episode order to watch it in, then?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

surf rock posted:

Well, poo poo, I'm gathering based on all of the warnings that the order that Funimation is showing the episodes is not the original broadcast order? Is there a list somewhere of the episode order to watch it in, then?
If you're using anidb, the air-date is shown if you scroll down to the episodes list for the show.
If you're not using anidb :shrug:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 21, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

surf rock posted:

in the episode previews the two main characters argue about what number each episode is, kyon orders it one way and haruhi orders it the other. s1 was broadcast in kyon order, then when s2 came out they reran the entire series in haruhi order and slotted the new episodes into the appropriate places.

funi and all the disc releases since then also use haruhi order but you should absolutely 100% watch it in kyon order. wikipedias episode list numbers them both ways or idk just google it

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

OK, so piecing that together, it looks like I'll be doing:

- Season 2, episode 25
- Season 1, episode 1
- Season 1, episode 2
- Season 1, episode 7
- Season 1, episode 3
- Season 1, episode 10
- Season 1, episode 9
- Season 1, episode 11
- Season 2, episode 28
- Season 1, episode 4
- Season 2, episode 27
- Season 2, episode 26
- Season 1, episode 5
- Season 1, episode 6

And then there are additional episodes, which Wikipedia is indicating were broadcast in this order:

- Season 1, episode 8
- Season 1, episode 12
- Season 1, episode 13
- Season 1, episode 14
- Season 2, episode 15
- Season 2, episode 16
- Season 2, episode 17
- Season 2, episode 18
- Season 2, episode 19
- Season 2, episode 20
- Season 2, episode 21
- Season 2, episode 22
- Season 2, episode 23
- Season 2, episode 24

Goddamn that's so hosed

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

season 2? idk what order that is but if you aren't starting with adventures of asahina mikuru you hosed up

tbh I'd just watch all the s2 episodes in one chunk after you finish s1

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm never going to watch haruhi

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it's exceptionally not important with season 2 considering, well.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Put another way, I'm going with the "A" order listed here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_episodes) since it lists all of the episodes I'm seeing and they're saying that's the broadcast/Kyon order. I just matched up those titles with how Funimation had them listed.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

apparently funi renamed some season 1 episodes to 'season 2' if they're in the back half chronologically which just makes things more confusing. i'd just go by episode titles to be sure you're doing it right, and not trust the episode numbers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah that's fine then

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

surf rock posted:

- Season 2, episode 25
- Season 1, episode 1
- Season 1, episode 2
- Season 1, episode 7
- Season 1, episode 3
- Season 1, episode 10
- Season 1, episode 9
- Season 1, episode 11
- Season 2, episode 28
- Season 1, episode 4
- Season 2, episode 27
- Season 2, episode 26
- Season 1, episode 5
- Season 1, episode 6

And then there are additional episodes, which Wikipedia is indicating were broadcast in this order:

- Season 1, episode 8
- Season 1, episode 12
- Season 1, episode 13
- Season 1, episode 14
- Season 2, episode 15
- Season 2, episode 16
- Season 2, episode 17
- Season 2, episode 18
- Season 2, episode 19
- Season 2, episode 20
- Season 2, episode 21
- Season 2, episode 22
- Season 2, episode 23
- Season 2, episode 24

Goddamn that's so hosed

Also be sure to watch the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie after you finish the series as well

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tales of Woe posted:

apparently funi renamed some season 1 episodes to 'season 2' if they're in the back half chronologically which just makes things more confusing. i'd just go by episode titles to be sure you're doing it right, and not trust the episode numbers.

lmao

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it honestly doesn't matter, the whole point is its so episodic that you can gently caress around and do whatever and still have a good time. which is what makes the kyon vs haruhi argument so funny because it also anticipates, people getting incredibly mad about episode orders. with the exception is that there's an couple arcs that don't really work if you break them up. sad irony that, the one arc that they move to the beginning of s2 is, the exact opposite and watching it in a block fucks it up because haruhi VI is written with th assumption that it's the finale and that you've seen the 13 episodes before it

in conclusion there should just be a shuffle button and everyone gets their own bespoke episode order, on the blockchain

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

in conclusion there should just be a shuffle button and everyone gets their own bespoke episode order, on the blockchain

this is also the correct way to watch star trek

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
if you end up liking haruhi a lot, i think it's interesting to rewatch the episodes that happen chronologically after episode 24 (by your numbering) before you watch the movie. live alive really highlights haruhi's growth as a person (and it's refreshing to see haruhi at her best after you see haruhi at her worst in s2), someday in the rain is a really nice tonal and thematic companion piece to the movie, and it should be pretty obvious why you might want to revisit adventures of mikuru asahina. also all of those episodes are amazing anyways.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

anyway watch k-on

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
creating a highly experimental sawako order for k-on that places the episode where she reunites with the death devils last.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

surf rock posted:

- Season 2, episode 25
- Season 1, episode 1
- Season 1, episode 2
- Season 1, episode 7
- Season 1, episode 3
- Season 1, episode 10
- Season 1, episode 9
- Season 1, episode 11
- Season 2, episode 28
- Season 1, episode 4
- Season 2, episode 27
- Season 2, episode 26
- Season 1, episode 5
- Season 1, episode 6

- Season 1, episode 8
- Season 1, episode 12
- Season 1, episode 13
- Season 1, episode 14
- Season 2, episode 15
- Season 2, episode 16
- Season 2, episode 17
- Season 2, episode 18
- Season 2, episode 19
- Season 2, episode 20
- Season 2, episode 21
- Season 2, episode 22
- Season 2, episode 23
- Season 2, episode 24

Goddamn that's so hosed

Just watch season 1 first (in broadcast order)

You'll want to make sure you really like the series before you tackle season 2, because it's a real test

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
deciding on a watch order for monogatari by shuffling a deck of cards

marumaru
May 20, 2013

after spending almost half an hour researching The Actual Correct Watch Order For Haruhi Suzumiya (For The Episodes I Had) I decided to just watch the episodes as they were whatever order they were in (it didn't say and it was confusing and I was getting annoyed) and I enjoyed it

Except for those episodes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

the correct order is the order they were broadcast in, cheers.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hold the opinion, that endless eight rules and it's funny people still get mad about it to this day

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I never ended up watching season two cause I was moving away from the genre at that point in my life, but hearing about Endless Eight from the outside was indeed very funny

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Vizuyos posted:

Just watch season 1 first (in broadcast order)

You'll want to make sure you really like the series before you tackle season 2, because it's a real test

Oh god I'm so confused

When you say "season 1" are you saying:

A.) Whatever Funimation is calling season 1
B.) The first set of episodes in my post you quoted (season 2/episode 25 through season 1/episode 6)
C.) Something else?

If it's B, then yes, my plan is to watch that first set in the listed order, and then presumably stop at that point if I'm not loving the series since it sounds like the second set of episodes (season 1/episode 8 through season 2/episode 24) aren't as well-liked overall.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

surf rock posted:

Oh god I'm so confused

When you say "season 1" are you saying:

A.) Whatever Funimation is calling season 1
B.) The first set of episodes in my post you quoted (season 2/episode 25 through season 1/episode 6)
C.) Something else?

If it's B, then yes, my plan is to watch that first set in the listed order, and then presumably stop at that point if I'm not loving the series since it sounds like the second set of episodes (season 1/episode 8 through season 2/episode 24) aren't as well-liked overall.

the episode order you posted earlier was the good one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

surf rock posted:

season 2 is fine people just hold continuous ire that they did something funny and weird with endless eight that no other show will ever do and if you think the gimmick is boring you can just skip six eps of it and all you'll lose out on is seeing them do something really weird with covering the same scenes six more times with different directors

otherwise what it adapts is solid and the ways it adapts it are solid so if you end up liking s1 at all it's all worth watching, esp for the movie

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i hold the opinion, that endless eight rules and it's funny people still get mad about it to this day
its insanely funny, how mad the best part of haruhi makes people. they dont deserve it

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i watched all 8 one evening while drinking beers and cried from the catharsis at the end. it's so good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its the best way to watch it. except extremely sober. straight edge for life

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

this just proves my point

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

homeless snail posted:

extremely sober. straight edge for life

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Endless Eight does such a tremendous job of forcing you to empathize with the suffering and dread of the characters. The dread the viewers felt each week as each episode ended was incredible.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
i no longer have strong feelings about endless eight

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I only know "Endless Eight" as that one time FYAD watched Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights eight times in one night. Or eight nights, I forgot.

what Endless Eight are y'all talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I only know "Endless Eight" as that one time FYAD watched Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights eight times in one night. Or eight nights, I forgot.

what Endless Eight are y'all talking about?
big haruhi spoilers for, the guy thats just now watching haruhi its the eight week block of haruhi where, they get caught in a time loop and you get to watch eight episodes that are, substantially the same material but reanimated each time directed by 8 different directors with their own takes on it

Its Art