Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

stab posted:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/canad...source=facebook

Welp, Davies has a heart issue after Covid

bUt iT's JuSt ThE fLu

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

That sucks, I hope he recovers fine.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

confirmed he's missing the whole window, and you know what? i didn't want to go to qatar anyways

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Welp see you guys in 2026 i guess

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1482066144764833798?t=8TbVqZaSQ88ebxceXiBBEw&s=19

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I mean, we could still beat El Salvador and Honduras? In Central America with the pissbags flying?

Yeah that seems unlikely.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Albino Squirrel posted:

I mean, we could still beat El Salvador and Honduras? In Central America with the pissbags flying?

Yeah that seems unlikely.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.1133876

Never forget

:thunkgun:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

welp

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

How could we ever forget that

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I know I'd sure 8-1 of those results against us.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The saga of Mexico and The Chant continues with FMF planning to ban fans for 5 years for doing it.

quote:

The new measures will be tested in Mexico's next two World Cup qualifiers at home against Costa Rica on Jan. 30 and Panama on Feb. 2.

Initially set to be played behind closed doors due to previous instances of the anti-gay chant, de Luisa announced on Monday that the Court of Arbitration for Sport would allow FMF to re-open the Estadio Azteca.

Capacity will be limited to 2000 for the coming matches in order to test the new measures.

If I were a betting man, I'd take the over on number of times we hear the chant, even with just 2000 fans, and the under on how many bans actually get handed out, even if the under was set at 0.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Hey, remember how VAR wasn't going to be used in WCQ because not all hosts' stadiums had the infrastructure for it? lol, j/k

https://twitter.com/Concacaf/status/1483903345337278469

quote:

For 2022, Concacaf can now confirm it has a large enough pool of VAR qualified referees, and VAR certified venues, which provide the Confederation with the resources to further implement the technology in men’s and women's tournaments taking place during the year. The full list of competitions which will include VAR are:

Men’s Competitions
  • Concacaf’s Qualifiers for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 (January and March 2022 FIFA Windows)
  • 2022 Concacaf Men’s U-20 Championship
  • 2022 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League

Women’s Competitions
  • 2022 Concacaf Women’s U-20 Championship
  • 2022 Concacaf W Championship

Changing the rules mid-competition? That's So CONCACAF

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is that all matches?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

we now have 50% capacity for the canada - usa game and they cancelled all the ticket sales, the game being held about 12 hours before restrictions are lifted.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Man think of all the flights and hotels going to a game you dont have a ticket for anymore

Yeesh so glad I got shut out rn

stab fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 21, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Qatar is a bullshit World Cup anyways. Not a soccer nation, stadiums built by slaves.... the whole.thing is illegitimate.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Another Bill posted:

Qatar is a bullshit World Cup anyways. Not a soccer nation, stadiums built by slaves.... the whole.thing is illegitimate.

You're so brave

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I guess it's just the senior competitions that are going to have VAR, no Nations League / Concacaf League yet.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/USMNT/status/1484632008915664897/photo/1

Weah makes it, Reyna not fit. A bit deeper I assume in case of covid issues.

Notable missing are Busio (?), Brooks(Wilderness), Scally. Id much rather see Busio than Llleget but other than that, seems good to me.

edit: apparently Busio has covid, per Berhalter

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Venezia are like 1 player away from not being able to field a team so I’m not surprised Busio isn’t on the list.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/Canucks_Abroad/status/1485259945536798722?t=LqOkigXOk9MoLqvSAOZOag&s=19

It. Just. Keeps. Getting. Better.

So now also lost our main ball distributor.

Canada may get zero points in this window :(

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Honduras and el salvador away are always messy

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

stab posted:

Canada may get zero points in this window :(

Even with 0 points in this window, Canada is in fantastic shape. With 0 points Canada would be no worse than 5th, but more likely 4th. The last window would be against the current 4th, 5th, and 6th place teams, so even sitting in 5th place it would be possible to leapfrog the others and jump back into the top 3 with a good final window.

More realistically, Canada will take 3-6 points and clinch no worse than 4th this window.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The world cup dream will end for Costa Rica this window, probably on the first game. It's for the best.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Team CanadaNo Alphonso Davies

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1485706668671442944?t=cV59WXO5Yqg1nzm4Fxf1kQ&s=19

Eustaquio makes the lineup even with Covid. Hoilett back in.

This is the team that will make or break the miracle run.

stab fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 24, 2022

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Canada is pretty clearly the best team in Concacaf right now and I doubt one iffy window is going to blow your chances at the world cup.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

Canada is pretty clearly the best team in Concacaf right now and I doubt one iffy window is going to blow your chances at the world cup.

Hi have you seen Canada's soccer history. There is no confidence.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

would have been nice to cap mitrovic or jebbison

alas

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

"Canada doesn't win in Central American or the Caribbean" is wired into my brain from past experiences

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

Fingers crossed!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1485806482054602753?t=RIsCTsJJaIa6KuQirKivlQ&s=19

Big snazzy announcement on the roster showing brief highlights

And yes, the highlight for Doneil Henry is a foul killing Chucky Lozano thanks for asking

stab
Feb 12, 2003

ilmucche posted:

"Canada doesn't win in Central American or the Caribbean" is wired into my brain from past experiences

https://twitter.com/TSNSoccer/status/1485750790681673730?t=HmSdMfZ5i381RRWEdZpfgQ&s=19

Pro click for non-Canadians to understand our collective trauma

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Atiba Hutchinson is still active? Wow I remember him playing for Copenhagen back during their golden years and being cool & good.

Most players his age would've stopped turning out for their national side ages ago (and also probably moved to some weird chinese club to be paid silly money, but w/e)

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

got tickets to canada - usa (again), jesus christ it's a shitshow

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Azerban posted:

got tickets to canada - usa (again), jesus christ it's a shitshow

Imagine being a Voyageur and seeing 2000 people in the queue ahead of you for a 2000 ticket allotment. (Turns out both Voyageur and regular sale were in the same queue)

Funny how a 100% capacity venue sold out in 10 minutes and a 50% capacity venue limited to those people took an hour to sell out

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

stab posted:

Imagine being a Voyageur and seeing 2000 people in the queue ahead of you for a 2000 ticket allotment. (Turns out both Voyageur and regular sale were in the same queue)

Funny how a 100% capacity venue sold out in 10 minutes and a 50% capacity venue limited to those people took an hour to sell out

i can imagine it real well! after being stuck at 2000+ for almost half an hour, queue went from moving slightly to 0 in less than a minute

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Azerban posted:

i can imagine it real well! after being stuck at 2000+ for almost half an hour, queue went from moving slightly to 0 in less than a minute

Yeah if i were to guess that's when the regular tickets sold out and locked out those without the voyageur presale code.

Poor Jamie, dude must be losing his mind

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...field-advantage

These US home qualifiers are poised to be shitshows:

quote:

The encounter with Honduras is forecast to have temperatures go down to nine degrees, have wind gusts up to 17 miles per hour with a 94 percent chance of snow, though obviously much can change between now and then

One potential wrinkle is that several inches of snow is expected to fall in the Columbus area through Monday evening. Jackson anticipates that while much of the snow will melt off, some kind of removal -- be it mechanical or manual -- will be required.

Snow on game day -- which is what is forecast for the Honduras game -- would be a different story. While the heating system would help, it wouldn't necessarily be enough to prevent snow from collecting on the playing surface

I understand the travel thing, and yes ok sure the US team is probably more accustomed and able to prepare for cold than El Salvador and Honduras. And blahblah heated fields. And all the US soccer media stuff is hyping the cold weather.

But with such a talent edge this just seems like US Soccer going full galaxy brain. An ugly match does not benefit this US team, at all. If the U.S. drops points in either of these and conditions are a factor (or if someone gets hurt), this is going to look incredibly loving dumb.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

G-Hawk posted:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...field-advantage

These US home qualifiers are poised to be shitshows:

I understand the travel thing, and yes ok sure the US team is probably more accustomed and able to prepare for cold than El Salvador and Honduras. And blahblah heated fields. And all the US soccer media stuff is hyping the cold weather.

But with such a talent edge this just seems like US Soccer going full galaxy brain. An ugly match does not benefit this US team, at all. If the U.S. drops points in either of these and conditions are a factor (or if someone gets hurt), this is going to look incredibly loving dumb.

Man, that actually looks quite a bit worse than the game in Hamilton against Canada - it's supposed to be high of -7, low of -15 (celsius, get out of here with your crazy Danzig-based temperatures), but more importantly it's not supposed to snow.

(If you're wondering, the weather on Thursday in San Pedro Sula is 29 degrees celsius with a chance of a shower.)

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

At the moment it's forecasted to be about 30 degrees Fahrenheit at kickoff in St Paul next week. Much better than the -9 F it would be if they were playing here tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The words "Honduras away" make me very uncomfortable