Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's the only game that replicates the sheer glee of tabletop roleplaying when somebody fails a dice roll. Messing up is fun.

I missed a couple 'quests' in my first playthrough and tried figuring out a min-max way of doing everything. It sucked and then I realized it would be so much more fun to try a playthrough where I completely refuse to acknowledge the possibility that I might be a cop.

Part of the genius of DE was creating a protagonist that was such a fuckup that any further gently caress ups the player makes seem entirely appropriate and to be taken in-stride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

It's the only game that replicates the sheer glee of tabletop roleplaying when somebody fails a dice roll. Messing up is fun.

Slip away unnoticed from Garte is a great example of this.

Minor spoilers for a scene near the beginning of the game.
https://youtu.be/JxWIjlGKwZA

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I missed a couple 'quests' in my first playthrough and tried figuring out a min-max way of doing everything. It sucked and then I realized it would be so much more fun to try a playthrough where I completely refuse to acknowledge the possibility that I might be a cop.

The game definitely does a great job of this on the whole, but there are moments where failing a check simply means that you don't get to do anything and you have to come back and roll again later after getting a skill point or however that mechanic works. Those mostly aren't too bad (and the things that you're likely to repeatedly fail are things you usually have no business trying to do in the first place), but I'll admit I ended up savescumming some of the "fail on a 70% chance" rolls toward the end. Which afaik you can do for any roll, but you definitely shouldn't, for the most part

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Slip away unnoticed from Garte is a great example of this.

Minor spoilers for a scene near the beginning of the game.
https://youtu.be/JxWIjlGKwZA

I died shortly after failing this one and I spent 30 minutes reloading a save to fail this one again. It is such a perfect encapsulation of the entire game.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

The game definitely does a great job of this on the whole, but there are moments where failing a check simply means that you don't get to do anything and you have to come back and roll again later after getting a skill point or however that mechanic works. Those mostly aren't too bad (and the things that you're likely to repeatedly fail are things you usually have no business trying to do in the first place), but I'll admit I ended up savescumming some of the "fail on a 70% chance" rolls toward the end. Which afaik you can do for any roll, but you definitely shouldn't, for the most part

i did because one run i think cos i bought a weird die i had the xcom luck lol 96% chance is almost certain to fail

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There's actually a late-game series of rolls in a flashback the protag has, and because it's a situation that was doomed from the start, passing the (incredibly difficult) checks can actually be more painful than just failing like he remembers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The game, conversely, doesn't really know what to do if you actually just, like, beeline solving the case and doesn't do any narrative editing to accommodate it so a lot of things pertaining to the ending are near nonsequitors if you don't indulge.

The game will let you wander but the main narrative progresses and eventually it gets more and more forceful about re-railing you if you aren't doing it. This may sound burdensome, but it means your daliances and whatever you get up to don't interfere with your story progress.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I can't imagine a first-time player actually successfully beelining the entire plot without getting sidetracked by some kind of tangent or red herring along the way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

girl dick energy posted:

I can't imagine a first-time player actually successfully beelining the entire plot without getting sidetracked by some kind of tangent or red herring along the way.

I got 0 achievements on my first playthrough, and other friends of mine who played had similar experiences.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Barudak posted:

I got 0 achievements on my first playthrough, and other friends of mine who played had similar experiences.

The achievement with the highest percentage on Steam is Goodest Of The Good Cops - Really get Kim to trust you. People who don't have that achievement:
- Haven't gotten around to playing the game yet.
- Stopped playing in the first couple of hours.
or
- :siren: JERK ALERT :siren: Why did you do your boy Kim dirty like that?

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

DE was a government op to gain sympathy for a cop. Didn't work on me though, gently caress that guy. POTENTIAL LATE-GAME STORY BRANCH SPOILER: junior detective Cuno 4 lyfe

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

The achievement with the highest percentage on Steam is Goodest Of The Good Cops - Really get Kim to trust you. People who don't have that achievement:
- Haven't gotten around to playing the game yet.
- Stopped playing in the first couple of hours.
or
- :siren: JERK ALERT :siren: Why did you do your boy Kim dirty like that?

Just looked up a guide to see how I did it and it seems like its not that hard if you aren't wasting crime solving time trying to learn his backstory.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I want to get all the trophies but I don't know if I can do my best man Kim dirty to get the trophy where he hates you

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Lol that was the only trophy I got on my first playthrough and it happened by like day 2. Poor dude could not stand to be partnered up with me.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Anything for Settlement Survival?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've started Forza Horizon 5 and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the different types of progression available. There's car mastery, accolades, achievement type things, car ownership rewards, money, the regional festival missions, Forzathon shop points, and probably more I forget. I'd like to understand what all these systems are, how they relate, and which ones I should/can focus on.

That said, I played a lot of Forza Horizon 4 and don't remember being overwhelmed by that. So there's a chance I'll just get used to all of this as I play, and if that's the case let me know.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
A few more for Deadly Premonition https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Deadly_Premonition (they are in the linked guide, but might be worth adding them to the wiki)

-You get fast travel by finishing two side missions for George. The second can be easy to miss and requires visiting his house at evening.
-Time passes by sleeping and smoking
-You get a really nice gun by collecting all 7 bones before doing their side mission (which activates in chapter 8)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ahobday posted:

I've started Forza Horizon 5 and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the different types of progression available. There's car mastery, accolades, achievement type things, car ownership rewards, money, the regional festival missions, Forzathon shop points, and probably more I forget. I'd like to understand what all these systems are, how they relate, and which ones I should/can focus on.

That said, I played a lot of Forza Horizon 4 and don't remember being overwhelmed by that. So there's a chance I'll just get used to all of this as I play, and if that's the case let me know.

most of them are just 'you get stuff by playing the game' and letting you play the game the way you want. the "main storyline" of the game involves progressing through all the festival missions until the final capstone event, and unlocking all the festival parts is as close to 'required progression' as you can get, as some things only appear in the game until after you've done that to unlock them (like a ramp over the airplane right next to where you start the game)

the endgame loop is doing the weekly seasonal stuff to get the two cars through accumulated points, and repeating that when it resets every thursday. it's heavy on the FOMO, and if you're not a car head enough that you really care about not having this one car out of the six hundred in the game it's healthier to just do the stuff you want when you want to do it

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Shin Megami Tensei V?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Shin Megami Tensei V?

* The most important part of the battle system is managing elemental affinities and getting more press turns, pay attention to enemy weaknesses.
* At the beginning of the game recruiting demons is your main source of new demons, but as you go you want to focus more on demon fusion than recruiting. It's normal to keep replacing demons all throughout the game as they stop learning new skills on levelup, don't feel attached to any one of them.
* There is an alignment route lock, but it's very late in the game, impossible to miss, and you don't miss out on any story differences if you answer "incorrectly" earlier in the game, so just go with your gut on choices unless you really care about some mediocre bonus upgrades at the very end of the game.
* Items are very useful, especially Dampeners, don't hoard them.
* Don't hoard Essences either - with the exception of the Proto-fiend ones, you can fairly easily get more if you need to (and you can still get new Proto-fiend Essences, they're just rare).
* Your main character can be built kind of however you like, but there are some incredibly powerful Strength-based abilities available to him later in the game so if you want to maximize damage that's probably the stat to spend on.
* You can always go back to earlier parts of the game (with one small exception), so don't worry about missing things.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

* The most important part of the battle system is managing elemental affinities and getting more press turns, pay attention to enemy weaknesses.
* At the beginning of the game recruiting demons is your main source of new demons, but as you go you want to focus more on demon fusion than recruiting. It's normal to keep replacing demons all throughout the game as they stop learning new skills on levelup, don't feel attached to any one of them.
* There is an alignment route lock, but it's very late in the game, impossible to miss, and you don't miss out on any story differences if you answer "incorrectly" earlier in the game, so just go with your gut on choices unless you really care about some mediocre bonus upgrades at the very end of the game.
* Items are very useful, especially Dampeners, don't hoard them.
* Don't hoard Essences either - with the exception of the Proto-fiend ones, you can fairly easily get more if you need to (and you can still get new Proto-fiend Essences, they're just rare).
* Your main character can be built kind of however you like, but there are some incredibly powerful Strength-based abilities available to him later in the game so if you want to maximize damage that's probably the stat to spend on.
* You can always go back to earlier parts of the game (with one small exception), so don't worry about missing things.

thanks!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Also worth noting: you can change difficulty to/from Normal and Easy during the game, but if you want to play on Hard, you have to start on Hard and if you ever switch to a lower difficulty you can't go back. Hard is a challenge but is probably at its most difficult for the first couple of bosses, so it might be tempting to switch to Normal for a fight or so.

I think the game might warn you about this but not sure, so it's worth bearing in mind going in!! And it's really stupid, yes.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

It does warn you about that when you start a new game, yes. Fire Emblem 3H does the same thing. I could see the reasoning if there are unlocks for completing the game on hard, but if not then who cares.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just started Mad Max last night.

Can I assume I can ignore Judgement and that I'll naturally gain Legend levels at a quick enough pace to get unlocks?

Any skills that I should focus on first? For the first 3 upgrades I got from Mr.Creepy, whatever his name is, I did the "More Ammo", "More Water," and "More Scrap" because even though I play games with limited resources, I usually don't like mechanics like that so I try to mitigate them best I can.

But if you come in here and tell me the "More Scrap" only gives me like 5% more at max level or something, I'll gladly load an earlier save and get something else.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just started Mad Max last night.

Can I assume I can ignore Judgement and that I'll naturally gain Legend levels at a quick enough pace to get unlocks?

Any skills that I should focus on first? For the first 3 upgrades I got from Mr.Creepy, whatever his name is, I did the "More Ammo", "More Water," and "More Scrap" because even though I play games with limited resources, I usually don't like mechanics like that so I try to mitigate them best I can.

But if you come in here and tell me the "More Scrap" only gives me like 5% more at max level or something, I'll gladly load an earlier save and get something else.

You end up getting more scrap than you can use late game, but you honestly have more than enough of every resource late game. As long as you're not doing soley the main story missions and do some side stuff, you'll easily get enough points across the game to pretty much max out everything, there's no need to reload. You'll get legend pretty fast if you're doing the occasional side missions like races and optional stuff like the specific legend missions from wastelanders.

More water and ammo are useful esp on some of the longer enemy locations later on or when you go to new areas. Personally I found the one that makes you use less fuel pretty handy earlier on, and definitely the one that makes Fury mode last longer. (edit: later on you'll want the one that makes melee weapons last longer but that's not really useful til the midgame when you start fighting more of the Top Dog type bosses)

Judgement is really only something to sink points into if you have spare stuff you really don't want to spend on anything else.

Also if it helps in respect of resources (avoid this spoiler for gameplay mechanics if you want) they're not really that limited once you get going. In each area of the map you can eventually upgrade a stronghold enough so that you auto refill your weapons/fuel/water/health each time you go to there. So it's only really limited until you start getting some upgrades in the strongholds or in a new area. It's a fun mechanic, it makes the areas feel safer and easier the more you progress in them because once you upgrade a stronghold enough that area feels less of a struggle for resources (although resources are actually pretty easy to find anyway once you know where to look or unlock them.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 25, 2022

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

For Streets of Rage 4:
If you have the Mr. X Nightmare DLC, you can unlock alternate moves for your characters by playing them in survival mode. Main characters get a full 5 alternate moves (blitz, defensive special, offensive special, air special, super move), but the SOR1/2/3 characters still get some unlocks too.
If you're going for the "5 million lifetime points" achievement, know that Survival mode does NOT count towards lifetime score. Those points only count for move unlocks.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I bought Cyberpunk 2077 in a recent sale and I'm looking for the next big meaty game to start playing on PC (Epic games store if it makes any difference). I know it released as a buggy mess, but I haven't been keeping up with the news on it's current state. Is it currently "good enough" to have a good experience, or should I hold off a while longer? I have plenty of other stuff in my backlog to play instead if it's still pretty rough.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Vidaeus posted:

I bought Cyberpunk 2077 in a recent sale and I'm looking for the next big meaty game to start playing on PC (Epic games store if it makes any difference). I know it released as a buggy mess, but I haven't been keeping up with the news on it's current state. Is it currently "good enough" to have a good experience, or should I hold off a while longer? I have plenty of other stuff in my backlog to play instead if it's still pretty rough.

Yeah its fine now, and pretty good if you take it at face value

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have any tips for R6: Extraction, particularly in the early going how to suck less and lose operators less frequently?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Good to know, thanks!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

While I've already started it, any tips for Miitopia would be good. Ideally the Switch version.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any tips for R6: Extraction, particularly in the early going how to suck less and lose operators less frequently?

- The goal in most situations is not to trigger alerts. An alerted enemy will start to gather up energy Goku-style and then release it to trigger an alarm. Killing them before that happens stops the alarm.

- Using silenced weapons in almost always the right choice.

- Smoke grenades and later flash grenades make for easy melee takedown.

- Don't be afraid to extract if things are going to hell.

- Playing solo is viable, the enemy count scales well with the number of players.

- The usefulness of the starting drone is marginal but the auto-scan drone you get later is excellent.

- Don't take ops that aren't at full health.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 27, 2022

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I played it at launch even and honestly had a lot of fun with it, bugs and all, I imagine it can only be better now

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I played it at launch even and honestly had a lot of fun with it, bugs and all, I imagine it can only be better now

The optimization is way better now too. The game is perfectly fine, but suffered badly due to the hype. It couldn't possibly be the game everyone wanted it to be, and the devcrushed it to try and fulfill an impossible "promise".

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

- The goal in most situations is not to trigger alerts. An alerted enemy will start to gather up energy Goku-style and then release it to trigger an alarm. Killing them before that happens stops the alarm.

- Using silenced weapons in almost always the right choice.

- Smoke grenades and later flash grenades make for easy melee takedown.

- Don't be afraid to extract if things are going to hell.

- Playing solo is viable, the enemy count scales well with the number of players.

- The usefulness of the starting drone is marginal but the auto-scan drone you get later is excellent.

- Don't take ops that aren't at full health.

Thanks for this. Played some more last night after my post and started to see the wisdom of silenced weapons. Probably should not have been playing operators with shotguns to start. Wasn't aware of that Goku-energy thing -- although I guess I'd seen it happen -- wasn't sure what it was. That's good to keep an eye on. Had no idea smoke grenades helped with melee kills -- need to try running with those.

Is it possible to clear out a level so that enemies will no longer spawn? Like if you destroy all the nests and roaming enemies, is the level empty and then you can turn to something like rescuing an MIA operator? I couldn't tell last night if we were actually getting rid of every enemy in a level, or if some enemies were respawning in rooms we'd already been through.

Rescuing MIA operators from that drat tree generally seems really hard, particularly once I figured out that the drat flowers would respawn after you shoot them the first time. Is there any trick to it, or do you just need to do a good job shooting flowers and the traveling cells before they reach the tree?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks for this. Played some more last night after my post and started to see the wisdom of silenced weapons. Probably should not have been playing operators with shotguns to start. Wasn't aware of that Goku-energy thing -- although I guess I'd seen it happen -- wasn't sure what it was. That's good to keep an eye on. Had no idea smoke grenades helped with melee kills -- need to try running with those.

Is it possible to clear out a level so that enemies will no longer spawn? Like if you destroy all the nests and roaming enemies, is the level empty and then you can turn to something like rescuing an MIA operator? I couldn't tell last night if we were actually getting rid of every enemy in a level, or if some enemies were respawning in rooms we'd already been through.

Rescuing MIA operators from that drat tree generally seems really hard, particularly once I figured out that the drat flowers would respawn after you shoot them the first time. Is there any trick to it, or do you just need to do a good job shooting flowers and the traveling cells before they reach the tree?

Its worth doing the VR tutorials and crossing out all the special objectives, it teaches you stuff about smoke grenade kills and things like that. Basically if you can stun or disorient an enemy then you can get a free takedown, even if they are alerted.

I'm not sure about clearing a map out entirely, I believe that enemies spawn in for things like the scanning missions but I've definitely played some solo missions where nothing spawns in for rescue missions. I've never wiped a map clear because it's generally not necessary and very time consuming.

For the rescue missions yeah its mostly a matter of popping the flowers as they come up. Most teams will have one guy on the hostage and two popping flowers, but if they aren't competent at it then it becomes an issue. For solo just give them one tug and then start shooting flowers. On the rescue UI there's a red circle on the left that will drain over time as long as it isn't being fed by flowers, when it's depleted you're able to pull the rescue out very quickly. It will show you on the pulling UI if the flowers start to send charges down the line.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 27, 2022

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

For the rescue missions yeah its mostly a matter of popping the flowers as they come up. Most teams will have one guy on the hostage and two popping flowers, but if they aren't competent at it then it becomes an issue. For solo just give them one tug and then start shooting flowers. On the rescue UI there's a red circle on the left that will drain over time as long as it isn't being fed by flowers, when it's depleted you're able to pull the rescue out very quickly. It will show you on the pulling UI if the flowers start to send charges down the line.

Thanks-- that clarifies some stuff about rescuing that hadn't been entirely clear to me.

Time to go back and wrap up all the special objectives in VR training.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pokemon Legends: Arceus
- You'll get opportunities to catch the other two starters in the wild later.
- The default headkerchief is part of your hair style. To change your hat, you'll first need to get a haircut and remove it.
- Take advantage of the online features when you can. If you're connected to the internet, you'll find bags scattered around the wilds that other people dropped when they were KOed. Recovering them gets you points you can save up to buy rare evolution items, and if you're connected when you get KOed, someone might grab and return yours for you, too.
- Take a 'catch and release' philosophy with most Pokemon you find. Use markings and/or the last box for the ones you care about, and regularly go through the pastures and release the rest. (Don't worry, you get rewards for it.)
- That said, don't release any species you don't think you can immediately go out and catch again, someone might want to see one for a side quest.
- Keep up with the side quests, some of them have useful rewards (especially the ones given by shopkeeps), and one early one gives a guaranteed shiny Pokemon.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Anything for Phoenix Point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

- Take a 'catch and release' philosophy with most Pokemon you find. Use markings and/or the last box for the ones you care about, and regularly go through the pastures and release the rest. (Don't worry, you get rewards for it.)

What form do these rewards take? I released several pokemon under this advice from elsewhere but didn't see any rewards manifest