Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
LOL quote's not edit.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

Her resume clearly stands for itself, it doesn't matter which centrists likes her, she's bad.

She can be a dirty moderate, but that article is still trash. ”Trump nominee”. Lmao.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Trump literally did nominate her. You haven't been reading the Media Analysis thread, clearly.

And she's much worse than moderate, or he wouldn't have.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I'm looking for more Dems to donate money to. Here's what I've got so far via ActBlue. It ain't much but every bit helps.

Run For Something, supporting local downballot candidates for things like city councils and judges, especially where there are no Dems running at all.

John Fetterman for PA, because he's awesome and Dr. Oz is the loving worst.

WisDems, because Ron Johnson is disgustingly evil and rescinded his promise not to run again cause his palms aren't greasy enough apparently.

Who are you guys donating to?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Scam Likely posted:

I'm looking for more Dems to donate money to. Here's what I've got so far via ActBlue. It ain't much but every bit helps.

Run For Something, supporting local downballot candidates for things like city councils and judges, especially where there are no Dems running at all.

WisDems, because Ron Johnson is disgustingly evil and rescinded his promise not to run again cause his palms aren't greasy enough apparently.

Username post combo.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Scam Likely posted:

Homeless shelters and food banks

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Help your food banks everyone

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Scam Likely posted:

Find yourself a litmus issue and donate based on that. It keeps your moral compass clear while still allowing you to file into spam every single fundraising email you get. Speaking as a stone hearted ML? Focus on local. Any efforts you make state level are probably doomed and federal level definitely doomed so try to maximize returns. I'm personally donating to personal friends and the goon fund in this historically strong economy. If the Dems want money from me they're free to figure out a way so that making it so this isn't necessary.

Vahakyla posted:

She can be a dirty moderate, but that article is still trash. ”Trump nominee”. Lmao.

I can't say I'm a Reardon expert, was she or was she not nominated by Trump for a position?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

Did she help Gibson Dunn target Donziger? If so, that should be 100% disqualifying for anyone to the left of Stephen Miller.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

This presents an obvious and awful narrative that should be familiar with folks who remember Carter->Reagan

I hate this, I also hate that a decent % of these people probably have social media posts where they bragged about being a spec ops level bad rear end after watching a zombie or postapocalyptic thing
or some other prepper poo poo, but the moment they get the tiniest bit of a real diaster they jump to the some of the dumbest poo poo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

PhazonLink posted:

I hate this, I also hate that a decent % of these people probably have social media posts where they bragged about being a spec ops level bad rear end after watching a zombie or postapocalyptic thing
or some other prepper poo poo, but the moment they get the tiniest bit of a real diaster they jump to the some of the dumbest poo poo.

The transition from the chaos at the end of the Carter administration to "Morning in America" was what caused a ton of Reagan's popularity.

But, with the rise of partisanship in the last 40 years, I don't think anyone could win 49 states again.

And, to be fair, if you are a voter who is basing your votes explicitly on changes in your material needs, which is something people usually complain that voters ignore in favor of culture issues or partisanship, then it made perfect sense to vote against Carter and then reward Reagan with an historic landslide re-election when the economy exploded and the oil crisis, inflation, wage stagnation, and unemployment all disappeared.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Vahakyla posted:

She is a Gillibrand supporter, donated money to Chris Christies run, but mostly to democrats. She was proposed by Gillibrand during Trump era. She wasn’t a Trump pick.

That article is trash.

"well technically she was a trump pick but a democrat was ok with her. i give this claim 5 pinocchios"

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Velocity Raptor posted:

I'm not a doctor (not even close) but the way she acts has to indicate some kind of sociopathy, right? She seems totally indifferent to everything but herself, and seemly is only there to obstruct.

Sinema is fascinating because there's no proven explanation (yet) for how baffling her trajectory has been so we are free to speculate and assign whatever boring or improbable theory we prefer and no one is necessarily wrong.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

No diagnosis is needed. Sinema probably figures her bullshit has gotten her this far, so why not keep at it. Manchin is the same way only his political success to date seems far less unlikely on paper.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Sinema is living proof that the Democratic Party is not really a political party anymore. a political party can punish its members for not following the party line, and the democrats have carefully removed all their tools to do that over the course of the last thirty years in the name of attracting more big finance money. for all their faults, the Republican Party has ways to discipline its members who don't play ball; piss off Mitch McConnell and your district isn't getting any more DoT funding any time soon, and there's going to be an NRA spokesperson or a Fox talking head proclaiming you a RINO if you decide to keep it up.

but the democrats?

their tools for discipline consist of Nancy Pelosi saying 'c'moooooon' at you until you start crying on the house floor, and Joe Biden calling you up to say 'ah, c'mon, jack, what are the odds that if you give up all your leverage for me I'm just gonna piss it away for nothing.'

in a functioning political party there would be a carrot or stick that could be deployed to get her to play ball, but in the name of sensible pragmatism the party got rid of all of those back in the 90s.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Sinema is living proof that the Democratic Party is not really a political party anymore. a political party can punish its members for not following the party line, and the democrats have carefully removed all their tools to do that over the course of the last thirty years in the name of attracting more big finance money. for all their faults, the Republican Party has ways to discipline its members who don't play ball; piss off Mitch McConnell and your district isn't getting any more DoT funding any time soon, and there's going to be an NRA spokesperson or a Fox talking head proclaiming you a RINO if you decide to keep it up.

but the democrats?

their tools for discipline consist of Nancy Pelosi saying 'c'moooooon' at you until you start crying on the house floor, and Joe Biden calling you up to say 'ah, c'mon, jack, what are the odds that if you give up all your leverage for me I'm just gonna piss it away for nothing.'

in a functioning political party there would be a carrot or stick that could be deployed to get her to play ball, but in the name of sensible pragmatism the party got rid of all of those back in the 90s.

She's not motivated by the needs of her constituents. She doesn't care about good governance so what could they use against her?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Normy posted:

She's not motivated by the needs of her constituents. She doesn't care about good governance so what could they use against her?

The idiot optimist in me wants to believe that there has to be something and that the people who actually interact with her and work in the halls of power have some sort of insight that we'll never have as to what screw they could turn, but, yeah, I got no idea. And honestly, all indications and actions leading up to now would show that even if they did know, they're not going to do anything with that information.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

the_steve posted:

The idiot optimist in me wants to believe that there has to be something and that the people who actually interact with her and work in the halls of power have some sort of insight that we'll never have as to what screw they could turn, but, yeah, I got no idea. And honestly, all indications and actions leading up to now would show that even if they did know, they're not going to do anything with that information.

She wants to be president and thinks the best way to get there is that Maverick it up and to get moderate support.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
In the Current Events thread, we aren't taking about the revelation of the Giuliani/GOP paper trail to coordinate with the Trump Campaign and GOP officials to submit forged election files just before 1/6?
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/20/politics/trump-campaign-officials-rudy-giuliani-fake-electors/index.html

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

karthun posted:

She wants to be president and thinks the best way to get there is that Maverick it up and to get moderate support.

She's governing with the same mindset of those 'independents' a couple pages back.

The thing is about modern 'swing voters' is that they're primarily people who are so stupid and/or disengaged that it's almost impossible to actually convince them of anything, let alone glean any useful information from them, because their thought processes are so shallow and arbitrary it's impossible to tell what decision they're actually going to make in any given moment, and half the time it'll be believing the last thing they were told.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

VorpalBunny posted:

In the Current Events thread, we aren't taking about the revelation of the Giuliani/GOP paper trail to coordinate with the Trump Campaign and GOP officials to submit forged election files just before 1/6?
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/20/politics/trump-campaign-officials-rudy-giuliani-fake-electors/index.html

Doesn't make Dems look bad so hard to get attention here

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

VorpalBunny posted:

But I thought 1-6 was just a funny day of no consequence and that anyone claiming it was a legitimate coup attempt was just being delusional :allears:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
There’s a separate 1-6 thread, where that very topic is being discussed: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989706&pagenumber=21#lastpost

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VorpalBunny posted:

I’ve been watching Rachel Maddow cover this story on and off for the last week and a half and she’s been like “Okay, this stuff is clearly co-ordinated and coming from a single source. Just who’s behind it all?”

And it turns out the answer is literally just “It was Rudy.” Holy poo poo lol

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

HonorableTB posted:

one sentence horror story: it's voting day on 2024,

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
https://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/health/2022/01/20/thedacare-ascension-go-court-over-stroke-trauma-employee-hires/6595232001/

quote:

APPLETON - ThedaCare officials are asking Outagamie County judge Mark McGinnis to pause the recruitment of seven of their employees to Ascension Northeast Wisconsin, arguing the move will endanger patients in the region who need treatment for strokes and traumatic injuries.

While barely news, a hospital is trying to get an injunction to stop their employees from leaving their job, to take a higher paying job elsewhere. Because in a free market, the state needs to keep your competition from bidding up prices of business expenses.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is about modern 'swing voters' is that they're primarily people who are so stupid and/or disengaged that it's almost impossible to actually convince them of anything, let alone glean any useful information from them, because their thought processes are so shallow and arbitrary it's impossible to tell what decision they're actually going to make in any given moment, and half the time it'll be believing the last thing they were told.

This. People (especially in the media) think that swing voters/independents are some mythical moderate bloc wishing both parties would sit down and hold hands. Most are actually single-issue loons that are just mad the duopoly doesn't priotitize their political fetish. You'll find some smart people there who are burned out by the lack of good faith in government, yes, but for every one of those there are three dead-eyed dopes loudly wondering we didn't already nuke the whales or invade Mars or whatever.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Arizona Democratic Party announced they will have a meeting this Saturday to vote on whether to unendorse and stop financially supporting Krystin Sinema.

Sinema got less than 1% of her funding in her last election from the Arizona State Party and less than 2% from the DSCC or national party, so that wouldn't be a massive financial burden on her, but the state party unendorsing her and giving the official backing to a primary challenger might.

quote:

PHOENIX – ADP Chair Raquel Terán released the following statement in response to last night’s voting rights disappointment:

“Late last night, Senator Mark Kelly courageously voted to defend the voting rights of millions of Arizonans. In the face of unprecedented attacks against our right to vote in this state, he fulfilled his promise to Arizonans — not a singular political party — and chose to protect our safe, popular, and longstanding vote-by-mail system.

“Unfortunately, the US Senate failed to protect our democracy that is under attack by Republicans across the country.

“This should not be a partisan issue — the duty to protect our most fundamental right to vote is one that we all share. Despite last night’s outcome, our fight to protect the rights of Arizonans by passing the Freedom to Vote Act and the John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act continues. We were counting on Senator Sinema to fight for Arizona, find a path forward, and protect our democracy, but on this issue she has fallen short. Right now, Arizona is ground-zero for the modern-day fight for voting rights, and we don’t have any time to waste.

“The ADP Executive Board will meet Saturday morning to address previously passed resolutions concerning Senator Sinema.”

https://azdem.org/adp-on-voting-rights-legislation/

Ruben Gallego announced that he has been approached by several sitting Senators to primary Sinema.

quote:

Arizona Democrat says some senators urging him to challenge Sinema with party at a 'breaking point'

(CNN)Rep. Ruben Gallego says his phone has been ringing a lot recently -- with many Democrats making a pitch to him: Run against Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema in 2024.

Among those making the case, he claimed, are Sinema's own Senate Democratic colleagues.

quote:

And he said that in the last several days the courtship has only intensified.

"To be honest, I have gotten a lot of encouragement from elected officials, from senators, from unions, from your traditional Democratic groups, big donors," said Gallego, a seven-year House veteran. "Everything you can imagine under the sun."

quote:

It's rare for senators to back primary foes against someone from their own party, but there has been escalating tension over the role that Sinema and West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin have played in holding the line against the wishes of their progressive colleagues.

The most recent episode came on Wednesday night, when the two centrist Democrats voted with all Republicans to maintain the Senate's 60-vote threshold to overcome a filibuster on legislation, effectively torpedoing their party's ambitious plans to rewrite the nation's election and voting laws. Both senators backed the election legislation but said the filibuster must be maintained to prevent future Senate majorities from working their will over the minority party.

Sinema and Manchin also drew the left's ire by drawing a line against the $3.5 trillion price tag for President Joe Biden's Build Back Better plan, effectively slicing that proposal in half. And while it was Manchin who ultimately slammed the brakes on Biden's bill, Sinema forced the party to rewrite its proposal to increase tax rates on wealthy individuals and corporations, angering liberals by her stance.

Hours before Biden came to Capitol Hill for a final pitch to Senate Democrats on his voting bill last week, Sinema went to the floor to reiterate her long-standing opposition to gutting the 60-vote threshold to allow just 51 votes to advance legislation.

"And while I continue to support these bills, I will not support separate actions that worsen the underlying disease of division infecting our country," she said at the time.

In an interview Thursday, Gallego said the last few weeks have amounted to a "tipping point situation" among many in his party since there's been "a whole lot of frustration over a lot of things that have occurred in the past with Sen. Sinema, and this has kind of been the breaking point."

Gallego also said some things that sound like the script of someone who is running a primary campaign would say:

quote:

Sinema, who won her first term in 2018, could be vulnerable in a primary, said Gallego, who will make a decision on whether to challenge her next year.

"I think she's vulnerable because nobody in the state has seen hide nor hair of her for the last three years," he said.

And then the potential challenger unloaded.

"She hasn't had one town hall; everything she does is scripted," he said. "She says she refuses to negotiate in public, but we want to know who is she negotiating for? Is it for Arizonans? Or is it for the pharmaceutical companies or whatever other interests that she is more likely to have meetings with than it is with the actual constituents?"

Sinema's office shrugged off Gallego's comments but provided CNN a list of her meetings with constituents in recent weeks. Her office disputed the idea that she hasn't been visible in Arizona, noting she's had tele-town halls given that in-person town halls are rare during the coronavirus pandemic.

"Sen. Sinema and our team have recently held numerous virtual and in-person meetings with Arizona civil rights leaders, Arizona student groups, Arizona tribal leaders, Arizona military leaders, progressive leaders, Arizona local elected leaders and more," her office said.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 21, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

What Democrats could really use right now is more false consciousness about voters who aren't as educated, as knowledgeable & as finely tuned into politics & current events as they themselves.

I'm sure it'd be a winning strategy now, as it was in 2016.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

Can we just drop the pretense of Democrats actually having a governing majority that "they" are failing to take advantage of? Sinema and Manchin are just openly working with Republicans to sink Biden's presidency; they're barely even trying to hide it.

No.

Manchin and Sinema are Democrats. Don't like it? They can be kicked out of the party at any time.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

No.

Manchin and Sinema are Democrats. Don't like it? They can be kicked out of the party at any time.

Yeah, I'm sympathetic to the idea that it's unfair to blame Democrats who are in direct opposition to Manchin and Sinema but they're Democrats and if the party can't control it's members what is the point of a political party? You can't argue vote blue no matter who during elections on the basis that any Democrat is good because they're a member of the good party but then when individual members don't follow the party it's treated as if they're totally helpless to stop them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

House Democrats are putting together a new version of BBB to meet Manchin's demands.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1484522439396802567

- It's basically the exact things Manchin outlined earlier, which was:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Manchin also says that the new blueprint has to ditch paid leave, childcare subsidies, an unconditional child tax credit, and the ~$7,000 per year Pell grant program that replaced the original tuition free community college program.

He wants the universal pre-K, home health care program, remaining climate stuff, $0 premium and deductible Obamacare plans with expanded income ranges, Rx price reforms, Insulin caps, and tax changes to stay in.

He also doesn't like that the expanded Medicaid provision rewards states that didn't expand by paying 100% of costs, but West Virginia has to pay 10% because they adopted it early and wants that changed or for the expansion to be dropped entirely.

Except that House Democrats want to keep childcare subsidies and the child tax credit unconditional.

- It is still going to cost roughly $1.75 trillion, but they will be ditching most of the several dozen medium and small programs and a few of the large ones to use that money to extend the length of the remaining larger programs.

- Hearing aid coverage for Medicare and expanded Medicaid for states that didn't expand under Obamacare are likely gone.

- All the housing provisions are up in the air.

- Manchin also wants more tax increases/revenue so the bill reduces the deficit overall and for it to "do something about inflation"

- Manchin has no position on SALT, but 3 House Dems have said they are "No SALT, No Deal." But, they are also open to adding income caps to SALT in exchange for uncapping the maximum SALT deduction.

- All the climate/transportation stuff is in, but the extra $4,500 bonus consumer rebate for buying an electric car from a unionized manufacturer might be gone or altered. The base $8,000 rebate is unchanged.

Even though Manchin already had the two biggest climate provisions altered, it is still more evidence that we are in the weirdest timeline when the climate change stuff has survived with almost no changes by Manchin, but the child tax credit is likely gutted or gone because of Manchin.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 21, 2022

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

VitalSigns posted:

No.

When you say "kicked out of the party", what do you mean by that?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Vahakyla posted:

She is a Gillibrand supporter, donated money to Chris Christies run, but mostly to democrats. She was proposed by Gillibrand during Trump era. She wasn’t a Trump pick.

That article is trash.

So does the fact that she helped put Steven Donzinger in jail mean nothing to you?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Epicurius posted:

When you say "kicked out of the party", what do you mean by that?

Denied the benefits of being in the party, most notably being on congressional committees

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nucleic Acids posted:

So does the fact that she helped put Steven Donzinger in jail mean nothing to you?

That twitter summary seems to be very misleading. She wasn't involved in arguing that case. She just worked at the same law firm that Chevron hired.

https://www.law360.com/firms/gibson-dunn/attorneys/jennifer-h-rearden?&page=2&per_page=3

The lawyers from her firm that argued that case were:

- Randy Mastro
- Scott Edelman
- Andrea Neuman

https://static01.nyt.com/packages/pdf/arts/revised050chevron.pdf

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 21, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I don't want to defend this Rearden woman too much, but did Rearden actually work on the case? I know she was a Gibson Dunn litigation group partner, but that's an enormous firm.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

VitalSigns posted:

Denied the benefits of being in the party, most notably being on congressional committees

Oh, ok, so not actually kick them out of the party, just take away their rights in the caucus. They could do that. I don't think it would actually do much, but you're right.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Intercept is mentioned as the source about Rearden in the story linked from the tweet, and this piece from several months ago is the only Intercept story that mentions Rearden. It doesn't directly link Rearden to Donziger or Chevron.

Far more damning is the fact that Trump nominated her before Biden did, as well as her role in some of the other cases in which she was active. And that's leaving aside the moral issue of purchasing judicial nominations with senatorial campaign donations, which we probably shouldn't leave aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

The Intercept is mentioned as the source about Rearden in the story linked from the tweet, and this piece from several months ago is the only Intercept story that mentions Rearden. It doesn't directly link Rearden to Donziger or Chevron.

Far more damning is the fact that Trump nominated her before Biden did, as well as her role in some of the other cases in which she was active. And that's leaving aside the moral issue of purchasing judicial nominations with senatorial campaign donations, which we probably shouldn't leave aside.

She was nominated by Trump as part of a bipartisan deal to confirm Republican and Democratic Judges. Her nomination was blocked by McConnell and they never voted on her.

quote:

On February 12, 2020, President Donald Trump announced his intent to nominate Rearden to serve as a United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. She had been strongly recommended by U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand and was nominated as part of a bipartisan package of judicial nominees.

I don't know anything about her really, but the Twitter headline seems to be very misleading (and actually plays down a real issue by calling her a "Republican donor" because she gave $2k to Chris Christie 10 years ago, when she raised over $30k for Gillibrand and was recommended by Gillibrand through the Blue Slip system).