Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I bought this for like the 4th time, which I think is approaching my all time record for number of separate tunes I've purchased a game for different platforms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Kim told me I did a good job after locating something hidden. This made up for his refusal to wear the leather jacket I procured for him.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*Trapped in the endless cycle of capitalism ishly* I won't be satisfied until I have given studio za/um 1000 dollars. I'm getting there but they need to make available more things to buy

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Caufman posted:

Antagonizing Kim and even pushing him to his breaking point, while it may permenantly disfigure your moral character, also gives him an opportunity to be at his best, or at least at his most pain-tolerant/masochistic.

There are evil ways to break Kim (fascism, racism, the spoilered exchange earlier on that page) and good ways (opening the shipping container)

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

No Mods No Masters posted:

*Trapped in the endless cycle of capitalism ishly* I won't be satisfied until I have given studio za/um 1000 dollars. I'm getting there but they need to make available more things to buy

just buy two jackets and you should be there in no time

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lord knows I've thought about it, but I can't in good conscience go for a second one when so many people don't have a first. As a noble soul, I'm bound to wait for new premium products instead

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

Lord knows I've thought about it, but I can't in good conscience go for a second one when so many people don't have a first. As a noble soul, I'm bound to wait for new premium products instead

You can buy me a jacket.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Nessus posted:

He has never tweeted #Medicare4All, that is for certain.

I'm not sure if I want to think about Twitter in the Disco world or not.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

oscarthewilde posted:

just buy two jackets and you should be there in no time

Perhaps if there were two different jackets to buy...

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Imagine a world where you had to verbally relay your tweet to an elderly woman in a repeater station, and she would read it back to you to confirm that's what you want her to read out to the rest of the world.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Caufman posted:

Imagine a world where you had to verbally relay your tweet to an elderly woman in a repeater station, and she would read it back to you to confirm that's what you want her to read out to the rest of the world.

Y'know that might actually be better to a degree, as having their own bullshit parroted back to them might get a few people to reconsidahahahah. Nope, couldn't finish typing that with a straight face.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I had no idea how big of a lore dump the moralintern sidequest is, and boy did I miss out, it's a doozy!
To contact the peaceful warship that patrols the skies you need a powerful radio broadcasting system, but be careful because they tend to blow up any unidentified people that try to contact it :psyduck:

McCloud fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 21, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

EorayMel posted:

He couldn't handle the truth, bröther.

Ow.

Ow.

Ow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Archonex posted:

So I just had a wild theory that depends on the answer to a question. What's the average level of technology in the setting? Do we get a clear look at that?

I ask since if the Moralintern/their alliance are way ahead then it might mean they've been exploiting CCP's to steal ideas from the future ever since Dolores cocked things up. The bodyguard even exclaims something to this effect as to why he killed her, aside from her supposedly not being human. Of course this partially contradicts the whole apocalyptic countdown stuff as far as I know, but I just was looking at that scene with the mercs again and it's pretty loving wild compared to even what you'd expect the Moralintern to have at that point in the game.

The mercs (Which are noted to be really lovely mercs in a very incompetent company at that.) are packing some weird space age looking armor that is borderline impervious powered armor and their basic rifle is suggested on a glancing hit to basically hit like a 50 cal round at the very least if it had hit dead on. They make it sound like one direct hit from one of those things will straight up instagib part of you. It's way out of line with the rest of the setting and even Moralintern's airship tech they have floating over Revachol.

The reason I ask is if their tech is really that wild then it potentially explains why the Moralintern attempts to vanish you if you report the 2mm hole. It also has some insightful commentary about their ideology as a whole. They might not have even earned what they have in the first place. Everything from Dolores genocidal expansion and the Army of Humanity, the fall of communist Revachol in a war against them, to the current state of affairs could at least partially be the result of a literal theft of ideas and potential from smarter and more capable people executed on a grand scale. Which is actually kind of on point with the themes of the game. They just stole it from a future that probably ain't going to happen now so they could profit off of it through warfare, imperialism, and the impression of their ideology on the world.

Of course that would mean they can't have someone wandering around talking about a hole in reality since the implications behind it are a threat to their power in more than just a generic doomsday threat (that has no real bearing on why the Moralintern would straight up kidnap and unperson you). Hence why the game makes it seem more like Harry just straight up gets abducted and shipped off to a black site or murdered rather than him joining whatever secret taskforce to close the thing before it eats Revachol.

And it's not just a fear of someone else repeating what they did to gain a massive technological and economic edge on everyone else. If people start finding holes in reality outside of the Pale (In Revanchol's case in a church to Dolores Dei, no less. Talk about an international incident and PR snafu waiting to happen.) they're going to start researching it and possibly end up drawing the right conclusions to point fingers at the Moralintern. Kinda like how oil companies worked with many powerful countries to cover up the effects of climate change for decades until some amount of damage was ensured and it was blatantly obvious who was at fault, only with less unpersoning and murder.

The tech level of the setting is a little vague; it's implied that they're roughly in say, the 80s or 90s overall tech and culture wise, but more advanced in some respects and less in others, and with different priorities due to their material circumstances and access to things like the Pale. However, you're bang on that the mercs' armour is way more advanced than the setting probably 'should' have, and it's not something newly supplied to them for the Martinaise job- they've had it long enough to customise it and paint a fuckload of kill tallies (almost exclusively of black people). Which brings up its own horrific implications that the Moralintern has been stealing ideas from the future, creating super-soldier equipment, and using it mostly to slaughter the most impoverished and downtrodden people in the world who want to be exploited less brutally.

Given the likening of Dolores Dei to a player of a 4x kind of game, there's some possible implications that she's using meta-knowledge/cheat codes and the Pale is the punishment for that with some sort of data corruption.

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
I don't think I can resist playing this again. Rarely play games twice but the setting and atmosphere is what I need in the evenings these days.
I spent a while doing side things and explored alot but I avoided alot of the explicitly political stuff and never found my gun so I'm sure there's absolutely loads more..

First run was the sentimental build, thinking of going with the thinker build for this run.

Tbh Im half tempted to play the same character again but just focus on things I didn't do last time.

It's such a bloody good game

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It is interesting that players like Kim because he supports them no matter what hosed up poo poo they pull, while a lot of people also criticize real life police officers for supporting each other no matter what hosed up poo poo they pull.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Some of the dialogue in this game is so good. The technical issues on switch are extremely annoying and are the only thing detracting from the experience but drat is the rest of it good.

Working Class Woman sidequest Got the “good” version of the death report to the working class woman and it was kind of nice to see the PC not loving up but the sorry cop failure version of it was the most embarrassing pathetic thing I can remember and stunning in the opportunity to take somebody else’s spouse dying suddenly and making it all about yourself. Really fascinating.

Just started the church stuff while Kim is getting rid of the body, Tiago the crab man seems like a fun convo. Kind of surprised I didn’t have the opportunity to try and kill myself with the water dish connected to a live wire.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Oh, another fun thing I appreciated. Thought cabinet conversation spoiler. the bit with Half Light when it is trying to give you the Apocalypse Cop thought doesn’t let you take a screenshot of the disturbing conversation you have with it, at least on switch. NO SPOILERS!!!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

It is interesting that players like Kim because he supports them no matter what hosed up poo poo they pull, while a lot of people also criticize real life police officers for supporting each other no matter what hosed up poo poo they pull.

You're not wrong there. It is a good point. But, unlike cops, Kim is a good boy.

Also it seems like the RCM can hypothetically actually do good in the setting, and have a chance to improve lives in the areas they work in. I have a hard time imagining that to be the case with real life police, but maybe that just speaks to my complete and utter distrust and disdain for them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

EorayMel posted:

He couldn't handle the truth, bröther.

the one design decision I disagree with is that this should be a game-over. Letting down Kim that bad should straight-up kill Harry

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Orange Devil posted:

Well you see, it's different when I do it.

That part is probably true, but another part is likely that your actions in this game are generally one of three broad categories: attempting to solve the case, attempting to do something else on the way to solving the case, and harmless meanderings, right? And given the importance of the case Kim is probably cutting you more slack than he might have cut it if you were pursuing pinball smugglers.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Kim doesn't have your back if you shoot a child.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Has Kim not considered that Cunoesse has bad vibes and is generally unpleasant to be around?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

Kim doesn't have your back if you shoot a child.

I mean, you're shooting the child with Kim's gun. That he gave you. So.....

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I mean, you're shooting the child with Kim's gun. That he gave you. So.....

Well yeah. That binoclard obviously couldn’t make the shot

rectal_prolapse
Nov 10, 2018
I'm doing a blind first-run of the final cut and the changes they've made are astounding. Everybody sounds fantastic, the story is dense as hell but packed with incredible detail. Also, I went Hobocop and am trying to start a buddy cop bronance with Kim. It isn't working out. I'm on day two. If anybody wants to watch bumblefuck McSupercop ruin everything, I've been streaming the game in the mornings. I'm mainly concerned about not doing something that will break Kim's will to live. And do karaoke. If anyone wants to tune in and backseat or hang out, I'm doing it on Twitch as idt_io. Seeing the game in it's completed form is bloody amazing.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pattonesque posted:

the one design decision I disagree with is that this should be a game-over. Letting down Kim that bad should straight-up kill Harry

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
ngl it would've been cool if some of the more, uhhh, drastic actions had actually caused Kim to straight-up abandon you (not necessarily forever, but at least for a day or two)

like i get it, Kim's sense of duty would make this course of action really hard for him to commit to, but come on. come the gently caress on Kim, have some self-respect goddammit, you don't have to suffer old drunken fascist fools like that :smith:

e:
i just remembered that this more or less happens after failing That One Check in the church. should happen more often imo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

nurmie posted:

ngl it would've been cool if some of the more, uhhh, drastic actions had actually caused Kim to straight-up abandon you (not necessarily forever, but at least for a day or two)

like i get it, Kim's sense of duty would make this course of action really hard for him to commit to, but come on. come the gently caress on Kim, have some self-respect goddammit, you don't have to suffer old drunken fascist fools like that :smith:

e:
i just remembered that this more or less happens after failing That One Check in the church. should happen more often imo

I disagree. Partly because when the game starts you're already several days behind so it just doesn't leave a lot of space for Kim to do that and still be a professional but also because I think that's part of what makes that moment hit so hard, because it's the one time you can gently caress up so bad that he will. I think it would lose its punch otherwise

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
also it's a video game and part of the fun is exploring hypotheticals and acting outside realistic standards.

if you hurt kim's feelings though, you the player should be loving murdered.

also, those are some really good posts archonex. that poo poo is extremely My Jam.

Killed a Girl in 96 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 22, 2022

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure Kim sticks it out even when you're really obnoxious because at that point he doesn't trust you to your own devices, and while he doesn't want to deal with you, he wants to deal with your dead body even less.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Orange Devil posted:

Kim's absolute loyalty to the RCM is expressed through his absolute loyalty to Harry, who is influenced by whatever the player wants him to do. People like him because he's loyal to the player more than the player-character. It also helps that Kim is a pillar of strength and professionalism, which people generally agree is an admirable trait, and so feel reassured when they have to rely on that pillar.

Also, as I've pointed out before, the RCM aren't really police in the conventional sense. They're a highly disciplined protection racket/street gang living off 'charitable donations' who tricked everyone - Revachol, the Coalition, themselves - into believing they're real police. You and Kim, but Kim especially, are cosplaying detectives, but both of you take the cosplay pretty seriously.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Considering the gameplay involves investigating and solving a murder as well as other adventures on the way, as opposed to driving your automobile around and spinning donuts on your dick, I would say the RCM are 'more police than police' by a commonly understood idea of the purpose of a cop.

Maybe you and Kim do the donuts thing on the balcony some time. I don't know.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That and Kim does not want to deal with Martinaise all by himself. Harry is, at his worst, at least someone they're probably going to shoot first.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

It is very interesting, and I think shows the very powerful psychological temptation of the thin blue line when you're on the other side of it. And while the RCM may have better qualities than non-fictional police departments like potentially being a crypto-communist revolutionary cell in a future uprising, both Kim and Harry engaged in abuses of power prior to the game starting. Off the top of my head, Harry crippled a drunk in the Impossible Case, and Kim engaged in the much-hated practice of civil asset forfeiture.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
I’ve beaten this game twice and had an absolute blast each time but never done any of the ‘spirit quests’. I chicken out before committing to any specific ideology, which I guess is an ideology unto itself.

From skimming thru spoiler text on the past couple pages, am I missing out on major plot points in the game? Sounds like it’s a must-do for my next play through?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

minya posted:

I’ve beaten this game twice and had an absolute blast each time but never done any of the ‘spirit quests’. I chicken out before committing to any specific ideology, which I guess is an ideology unto itself.

From skimming thru spoiler text on the past couple pages, am I missing out on major plot points in the game? Sounds like it’s a must-do for my next play through?

i've never done them but by all accounts they're great, so you're missing out on that - and it's less plot than aspects of the world being revealed?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Caufman posted:

It is very interesting, and I think shows the very powerful psychological temptation of the thin blue line when you're on the other side of it.

Maybe, but I think the stronger incentive is his unerring support for Harry, the biggest fuckup maybe in all of videogames. You walk into the game as such a complete mess that nearly everyone has some story about how much of a loving idiot you are, and if they don't have one now they'll probably have one by the end of the conversation. The game is a cavalcade of failure (just like communism) and the only person who looks out for you is Kim. It is entirely natural to see him as some sort of saint because he is the only person in Revachol who treats you with the pity and respect you don't deserve.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
There’s a lot of good stuff and good posts on the last page or two. Really want to do the moralist quest now.

I’ve always wanted to see someone take offense to the game’s definition of fascist, but I’m not sure I actually did want to see it.. also it’s named ‘white man vs. Disco Elysium’ https://youtu.be/kvH2ZD_aenc

Here’s a short clip, specifically of them getting offended by the game’s definition of fascism, and even say like ‘but how can fascist hate women, if women voted for hitler??’ Amongst other things, like immediately justifying their hatred of immigrants or non-white people. https://youtu.be/B5A71zrfCyE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

yeah don't think i need that in my algorithms