Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

People are currently speculating that there's three hidden, unlockable LLs: Bel'akor, Boris, and the lost dragon that gets mentioned in the opening cutscene for Cathay. (Please do note that I said SPECULATING, none of this is loving confirmed at all, so take it with gigantic heaps of salt.)

Basically, people are trying to figure out why that Boris leak exists at all. Bel'akor was discussed in terms of "his unlockable nature" in the interview that GBG had with the devs, so it seems possible that he unlocks a la Dong Zhuo. So the logic is that, since Cathay's cutscene very specifically mentions their LLs searching for their lost sister, there may be an unlockable lord for them as well.

Personally, I think it's out there, but Boris showing up, randomly and without explanation, might actually mean these people aren't totally nuts. I suspect the 50 turn limitation for this embargo is to prevent people running into the next cutscenes during their streams, and thereby spoiling poo poo, if this ends up being true.

Again, this is 1000000% speculative and we won't know poo poo about gently caress until someone plays it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
If that’s true no wonder CA needed to delay the game. So much stuff, so excited. Same holds even if it isn’t true. :D

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Can confirm that you unlock an ogre sized Dong Zhuo on turn 51

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I’ve also seen it pointed out that the 3 player Kislev co op campaign sorta requires a 3rd Legendary Lord.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mordja posted:

A Warhammer 1: Two would have to be on a vastly more advanced engine to justify it tbh.

Once they get the immortal empires thing in, it might be nice to see some smaller theater maps in greater detail.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OwlFancier posted:

Once they get the immortal empires thing in, it might be nice to see some smaller theater maps in greater detail.

Now we're full circle.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Can confirm that you unlock an ogre sized Dong Zhuo on turn 51

He gives Cathay's trade caravans the dong as revenge for the betrayal of Lu Bu.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I’ve also seen it pointed out that the 3 player Kislev co op campaign sorta requires a 3rd Legendary Lord.

the third lord is just three skaven in a great coat wearing an ushanka

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I know it's completely dependent on GW actually making the factions, but I'm not gonna lie, this article taps into the neglected corner of my nerd brain that holds out for that slimmest of hopes, Nippon and Ind.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Twigand Berries posted:

2030: The Fascist Update.

the new LL is some random nazi in Spain

hopefully we get southern factions before that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

V for Vegas posted:

Now we're full circle.

I do quite like the vortex map, I just don't like the campaign, so i could certainly go for say, a map with the empire, brettonia, down to the southern realms, cutting east across the badlands, and having the world's edge mountains in the middle and including some of the new terrain in the east. You could also do something like the vortex, or possibly just fantasy americas + the donut,

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I could see immortal empires having co-op style objectives of raze / occupy n settlements. where smaller maps are focused on putting two major areas against each other with more specific goals

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

I know it's completely dependent on GW actually making the factions, but I'm not gonna lie, this article taps into the neglected corner of my nerd brain that holds out for that slimmest of hopes, Nippon and Ind.

I really want them to do Khuresh. Nagas sound so cool.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So for Warhams 3, are they going to do the thing where the previous game and its DLC (if you have it) will be available in the newest game? What about if you have 1 and 2 on Steam and you want to get the Game Pass version?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

So for Warhams 3, are they going to do the thing where the previous game and its DLC (if you have it) will be available in the newest game? What about if you have 1 and 2 on Steam and you want to get the Game Pass version?
I have to imagine they will, yeah, given how clear they have been that Immortal Empires will be a thing and how many WH1/WH2 LLs are on the base WH3 map. I also don't know if it will work cross platform but I assume it won't.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Warhammer 4 must be in pre-production surely. This cash cow has a lot left to give.

I'm like 95% convinced that CA is working on making a 40k Total War game.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

Yes, all three will (eventually) work together as one giant game in WH3, in a separate campaign (like Mortal Empires in WH2). That campaign won't be available at release. We don't know when, exactly, it will.

In order for that to work, you need to own all three games on the same storefront. Owning the first two on Steam and playing the third on Game Pass won't work. You'd have to buy the third game on Steam.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Unlucky7 posted:

There will be a big combined campaign called Immortal Empires that will presumably work identically to Mortal Empires.

I would wager there's a roughly 99.9% chance that you'll need to own all three games on the same storefront and that cross-storefront recognition won't be a thing, but I could be surprised. The Steam version will probably be the correct choice in any case because of Steam Workshop access.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gonkish posted:

Yes, all three will (eventually) work together as one giant game in WH3, in a separate campaign (like Mortal Empires in WH2). That campaign won't be available at release. We don't know when, exactly, it will.

In order for that to work, you need to own all three games on the same storefront. Owning the first two on Steam and playing the third on Game Pass won't work. You'd have to buy third game on Steam.

Disappointing but not unexpected. Thanks!

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm loving the new exp changes so much, LoTW won a heroic victory with a level 1 lord by the skin of his teeth and jumped straight to level 4 :wow:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It's probably been noted already, but there are minor Chaos Warrior factions around with settlements. I think they're mostly named after Kurgan tribes in the lore.

fake edit: Still holding out hope for a Kurgan DLC down the line. And the fact that they are Chaos Warriors and not Norscans is actually kind of a good sign there.

real edit: Though I'd actually be very happy for Chaos Warrior factions just being the Kurgans if they got some actual steppe nomad flavor to them to make them (especially the marauder units, Chaos Armor units are their own thing IMO) look and play more distinct from the Norscans.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 21, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chaleski posted:

I'm loving the new exp changes so much, LoTW won a heroic victory with a level 1 lord by the skin of his teeth and jumped straight to level 4 :wow:

It really, really sucked how exp was doled out based on the game's arbitrary decision of whether the victory was close or heroic or whatever instead of tabulating what you actually fought and beat.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

RVT posted:

I'd be all about a Dragonlance total war. I devoured those books back in the day.

Problem is, with how over the top Warhammer is, any other fantasy property is going to feel like a watered down version of the same thing. Plus, Warhammer is as close to a turn key adaptation as possible. It's got absolutely tons of lore, plus already existing units with stats and abilities. For Dragonlance, or most other fantasy IPs, CA is going to have to do a lot of heavy lifting coming up with a bunch of units, relative stats, abilities, etc. They could do it, but it would probably come out closer to medieval total war, but with wizards and dragons, than Warhammer total war.

The only place I can really see total war going is 40k. I think they could make it work too. I think something like Elder Scrolls: Dragonlance would be my ideal fit for that franchise. Make a Solamnic Knight, work your way up from crown to sword to rose, become the high justice, badass.

Why not make a 4th Warhammer game?

They have Nippon (with both human and tengu) waiting in the wings. The Snakemen of Kuresh. The Kingdoms of Ind (human, tigerman and monkeyman) factions. That's more than enough material for a 4th game.

Then do an Araby DLC.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 21, 2022

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I couldn't find any official confirmation but I'm assuming you don't get the early adopter ogre dlc if you play it in the first week on gamepass?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
mad speculation about three extra hidden 'unlockable' lords in a game series where nothing has ever been unlockable is very weird but who am I to judge

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Impermanent posted:

mad speculation about three extra hidden 'unlockable' lords in a game series where nothing has ever been unlockable is very weird but who am I to judge
Technically you unlock Sarthorael in WH1. Yes, you unlock them for multiplayer battles only, but you do!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Also red armor dude, and todbringer

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

my uncle who works at CA says you can unlock space marines

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Testing the waters for the pygmies...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Also technically a lot of factions in RTW1 were unlockable for new playthroughs, done by you murdering them. The concept is pretty old for Total War. IIRC in MTW1 you unlocked some factions by winning campaigns.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Why make factions unlockable when you can sell them as DLC?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Impermanent posted:

Yeah it's highly speculatory, but also not unprecedented. Dong Zhuo was unlockable in 3K, Toddy and Sarthorael were unlockable in WH1 (for MP only, but still), etc.

I think people are speculating in an attempt to figure out Bel'akor's status, and why Boris is in that leak. Unlockable LLs seems like a reasonable guess, but it's just a guess.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
If you win a Legendary campaign as each of the four Chaos dudes, you unlock the REAL season 4 of sherlock

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The animation where Skarbrand runs up and just fuckin' hoofs someone in the head is amazing

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019

Alctel posted:

The animation where Skarbrand runs up and just fuckin' hoofs someone in the head is amazing

I'm imagining a developer working for hours on the animation whilst giggling to themselves.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Recommended spec is a gtx 1650

I have a 1060

I hate that my chances of buying a decent graphics card between now and then without abasing myself to Slaanesh are between 0 and none

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

There are, your lord gets a negative trait... that gives a whole +1 Slaanesh corruption to the province they're in. That's it. Oh, and said trait is removable too by sitting in a town with the right building.

As for comparisons between Slaanesh's Blade and the Chainsword, I think it's fair to point out that the Chainsword DOES give +10 Khornate corruption when wielded, so there actually is some negative consequence to using it. Both are OP, but the Blade not even giving corruption and coming along with 75,000gp is what kind of takes it (and the other Slaaneshi gifts) into the realm of just silly.

I think the trait is permanent and can get stronger the more you use it, there is also a temporary bigger debuff applied that has a 50% chance of being removed if you stop in a capital.

Kanos posted:

There will be a big combined campaign called Immortal Empires that will presumably work identically to Mortal Empires.

I would wager there's a roughly 99.9% chance that you'll need to own all three games on the same storefront and that cross-storefront recognition won't be a thing, but I could be surprised. The Steam version will probably be the correct choice in any case because of Steam Workshop access.

They explicitly say you need to own all 3 games on the same store in the FAQ - https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-iii-faq/

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 21, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Don't even get me started on GPUs right now. Been looking since 2020. Still on a 1080. Praying it doesn't die on me. :smith:

Meanwhile, the animators have done such a loving great job with so much of this poo poo. Greasus' death animation is hilarious, Skarbrand just runs up and punts dudes, the nurglings are loving gross AND adorable, all the Slaanesh units are creepy weirdos, the Cathayan dragons look incredible in motion, etc. There's so much goodness here, holy gently caress.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Unlucky7 posted:

quote:

CAN I PURCHASE DLC FOR TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER GAMES I OWN ON ONE STORE ON ANOTHER (AND VICE VERSA)?
Currently it’s not possible to track the different Total War: WARHAMMER content you own across different storefronts. So, for example, if you buy Total War: WARHAMMER on the Epic Games Store, you will also need to buy the DLC on the Epic Games Store in order to use it.

The same applies for claiming the free combined map DLC – you would need to own both Total War: WARHAMMER and Total War: WARHAMMER II on the same store in order to claim it.

WILL THERE BE A COMBINED MAP FOR OWNERS OF ALL THREE GAMES?
Yes, though currently our focus is on Total War: WARHAMMER III.

We will release a massive combined map that will be a huge free DLC for owners of all three games, and we’ll have more detail later.

Note that you will need to own all three parts of the trilogy through a single store front in order to claim this free DLC. Please see above for details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
re: the rumors about unlocks, that Boris and Be'lakor are in-game is pretty uncontroversial given the models and the the loading screen tip, so they're either going to be unlockable or FLC. I very much doubt they'll pull a WH1-era fuckup considering how long people have been asking for a playable Boris and Red Duke. The third dragon though? Who knows. It's unlikely but this game has already blown way past pretty much every expectation.