Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah, no one would ever invade through there BECAUSE of the bunkers.

Has anyone been interested in invading Albania post-1945? I thought they were famous for being like, the only country in Europe that no one cared even the slightest drat about about during the Cold War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I thought the bunkers were mostly about making people think that there could be a bunker full of people willing to kill them wherever they were so they didn't try to overthrow Hoxha, rather than any actual concern about being invaded.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
no i'm pretty sure Albania was concretely concerned about getting invaded by Yugoslavia after the latter became antagonistic to the USSR and the former stayed in its sphere.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tweezer Reprise posted:

no i'm pretty sure Albania was concretely concerned about getting invaded by Yugoslavia after the latter became antagonistic to the USSR and the former stayed in its sphere.

there's also the whole yugoslavia having albania majority areas that sympathized more with albania than yugoslavia.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

there's also the whole yugoslavia having albania majority areas that sympathized more with albania than yugoslavia.

I'm sure all that's sorted by now

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My post was a joke, but Albania has also hated and feared Greece for quite a while.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Albania sided with the Chinese in the Sino-Soviet split following Stalin’s death but I guess Greece or Yugoslavia or Benin could have invaded anyway.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What a time to check out this thread again.

CIA and MI6 combined efforts to launch several attempts to overthrow the communist government of Albania during the 1947-1952 period, mostly using armed expats. Basically, Bay of Pigs 0.5, except continuing for half a decade and somehow even more of a failure. After it became obvious what was going on, Albania started using the same trick the Soviets used on Nazis, capturing a few agents and then sending out an "we're all fine, everything is fine, we could use more manpower, send more agents!" message and waiting for the next round, to make it easier to round them up. There was fear that NATO would eventually just go "gently caress it" and outright invade, especially once Albania's relations with the Warsaw Pact started cooling.

While the bunker policy was... misguided at best, Albania had a lot of reasons to be paranoid.

OK, time to check out again, I guess.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Dad and some buddies were on a road trip through Yugoslavia back in August 1968. They tried to get into Albania as well but were almost gunned down at the border crossing. Instead they had dinner at some tavern in the no mans land inbetween - got food poisoning at least. No bunker stories.

Anyway guess the albanians might have been justifiably extra paranoid considering Prague got invaded the day after. Dad claims they dodged Titos tank columns on the way back to the italy ferry, right before he closed their borders too.

The entire vacation sounded incredbly ill adviced in retrospect. Otoh 19 year old swedish bro idiots lol.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 18, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Dad and some buddies were on a road trip through Yugoslavia back in August 1968. They tried to get into Albania as well but were almost gunned down at the border crossing. Instead they had dinner at some tavern in the no mans land inbetween - got food poisoning at least. No bunker stories.

Anyway guess the albanians might have been justifiably extra paranoid considering Prague got invaded the day after. Dad claims they dodged Titos tank columns on the way back to the italy ferry, right before he closed their borders too.

The entire vacation sounded incredbly ill adviced in retrospect. Otoh 19 year old swedish bro idiots lol.

And that dad was Henning Wehnsson.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Weeell its a Dad Story but hes loving terrible at embellishing, usually does the opposite so it checks out i think.

Personally i found his description of miles of "lawless" but inhabited borderland between the border stations the most interesting part.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Weeell its a Dad Story but hes loving terrible at embellishing, usually does the opposite so it checks out i think.

Personally i found his description of miles of "lawless" but inhabited borderland between the border stations the most interesting part.

Not lawless, the law of Lek

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

US-Canada border?

Honestly look how much work this must take? Borders are so loving dumb.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Take the crews that deforest that border and have them clean up the power lines in California.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

US-Canada border?

It is, and not as much work as you'd think. The International Boundary Commission has been doing it for more than a century, current budget is a rather modest $1.5 million/year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

It is, and not as much work as you'd think. The International Boundary Commission has been doing it for more than a century, current budget is a rather modest $1.5 million/year.

Wow, that's incredibly low... actually that seems too low. That only funds what, like 5-10 people plus some basic equipment? But they'll need helicopters and such to access it in any reasonable pace, and almost certainly more than one team.

It's also kind of weird they even bother. Like is anyone doing smuggling between the US and Canada post-prohibition? It was stressful as poo poo to see borders up again in Europe back in 2020, glad that stuff is all gone and over with, even for places like Switzerland that still nominally have borders.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Platystemon posted:

Take the crews that deforest that border and have them clean up the power lines in California.

But that would reduce shareholder value.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Saladman posted:

Wow, that's incredibly low... actually that seems too low. That only funds what, like 5-10 people plus some basic equipment? But they'll need helicopters and such to access it in any reasonable pace, and almost certainly more than one team.

It's also kind of weird they even bother. Like is anyone doing smuggling between the US and Canada post-prohibition? It was stressful as poo poo to see borders up again in Europe back in 2020, glad that stuff is all gone and over with, even for places like Switzerland that still nominally have borders.

Switzerland is part of Schengen, so same border stuff as France etc.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mano posted:

Switzerland is part of Schengen, so same border stuff as France etc.

Borders aren't only for affecting movement of people. The Schengen agreement only affects the transit of people, not of goods, and Switzerland isn't part of the EEA. The main Swiss borders on the highways are always staffed and checked during the day, and sometimes even the minor borders are staffed and cars checked. If you're in a private car you'll be waved through nearly all of the time, unlike EU borders where even the major ones on highways never (or almost never) have anyone out checking traffic.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 21, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kenning posted:

But that would reduce shareholder value.

How so?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It would cut from quarterly profits

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Saladman posted:

they load up a dude on a big lawn mower on the shores of the lake of the woods, duct tape a compass on the wheel, and tell him to keep it straight till he hits point roberts

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

US-Canada border?

Not really, all you gotta do is log it once and then it's just giving border patrol some clippers to prune back saplings.

Saladman posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/4-found-dead-canadian-border-possible-human-smuggling-operation-rcna13014
https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2021/10/marijuana-seizures-at-the-michigan-canada-border-are-booming-heres-why.html
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-court-sentences-11-men-for-plotting-to-smuggle-guns-into-canada-1.5661026
https://www.wionews.com/world/indian-origin-man-arrested-in-canada-for-smuggling-112-kg-cocaine-397167
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2021/03/03/submarine-drug-smuggling-scuba-steve-detroit-river-canada/6906120002/
https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...in-import-trial
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/oxycontin-smuggling-from-canada-rises-sharply/article547508/
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-19751695
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/man-fined-30000-for-smuggling-almost-4000-kg-of-cheese-into-canada
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/truckers-charged-in-record-336m-us-canada-tobacco-smuggling-case
https://animalogic.ca/blog/the-booming-black-market-animal-trade-in-canada
https://fee.org/articles/syrup-smugglers-take-on-the-maple-mafia/

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Found in the wild

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I can confirm Denmark, Germany and IIRC Poland as completely correct.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Saladman posted:

There are areas where the border runs through built up areas (including single properties that actually lay astride the border out east I think), they mark all those out as well. Other than that I don't really know why they bother, other than it's kind of neat? Prevents somebody accidentally blundering across the border I guess, though I'm not sure how often it comes up and probably wouldn't be a big deal anyway.

e: Oh yeah the rando press release I was drawing my numbers from are way low, maybe that was for maintaining the actual commission staff. Last published report on the commission website shows about $45M USD expended for 2017-2018. Also includes the very useful note that we do it because we have a treaty from 1925 that says we will do it, probably cheaper to do it than argue about not doing it :v:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 21, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KozmoNaut posted:

Denmark has alternatives though, replacing the cardboard duck with other poo poo like a flower or feather. I'd assume the same is true in other countries too, that some of the nouns chosen vary between dialects/ages.

Count Roland posted:

Found in the wild

The politically loaded part is having Hebrew as a European language, right?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

So is Dutch, kind of, but I would translate it as "it can rust onto my rear end". Odd how the map thinks oxidation is food-related.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I can confirm that Swedes give way too many fucks

all "fan helvete" & "vad håller ni på med" & "försvinn, jävla idiot" all the time, its super aggravating

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

What is this one?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lord Hydronium posted:

What is this one?

Something along the lines of "top result on Google Image Search for the country's name," I assume? Although the Sri Lanka money and mangoes thing doesn't pop up until a few results down for me.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Quorum posted:

Something along the lines of "top result on Google Image Search for the country's name," I assume? Although the Sri Lanka money and mangoes thing doesn't pop up until a few results down for me.
Oh, :lol:. Thanks!

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Carthag Tuek posted:

I can confirm that Swedes give way too many fucks

Det skiter de väl i.

For the record, Swedes poo poo in it, when no fucks are given.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Intresseklubben antecknar vilt

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Norwegians also poo poo in it. Or else give the devil.

Giving the cat IS a valid expression but very much on the PG end of the spectrum.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Pope Hilarius II posted:

So is Dutch, kind of, but I would translate it as "it can rust onto my rear end". Odd how the map thinks oxidation is food-related.

Eat more rear end

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Det skiter de väl i.

For the record, Swedes poo poo in it, when no fucks are given.

Similarly in Denmark, we sometimes poo poo on it or poo poo a hole in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Does this imply you think the sausage one is inherently anus related?