Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
endless eight owns. haruhi ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

so it's Nighthawks from American Dad but eight times spread out over eight weeks basically?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I only know "Endless Eight" as that one time FYAD watched Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights eight times in one night. Or eight nights, I forgot.

what Endless Eight are y'all talking about?

Something not nearly as entertaining.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watched a couple eps of endless 8 and then skipped the rest because I barely have the attention span to watch one episode of anime let alone the same one eight times.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/robinhouston/status/1054637891085918209?s=20

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what's this?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cuphead Anime!

https://youtu.be/24z_poHGR0E

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://mangadex.org/title/162146eb-672a-4a05-b3b2-0c6303f9614e/takopii-no-genzai

Takopii no Genzai, issue 7

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How edgy is this?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

homeless snail posted:

its insanely funny, how mad the best part of haruhi makes people. they dont deserve it

I’ve found people who say the best part of Haruhi was Endless Eight to be curmudgeons whose primary metric for greatness is how much the thing in question pisses others off and not, you know, anything related to actual quality. Especially when Disappearance exists.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I’ve found people who say the best part of Haruhi was Endless Eight to be curmudgeons whose primary metric for greatness is how much the thing in question pisses others off and not, you know, anything related to actual quality. Especially when Disappearance exists.

Endless Eight is very high quality throughout.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

AlternateNu posted:

I don't know if E8 is the *best* part but I don't like it because of the anger, but because it's a bonkers artistic project that will probably never again be repeated.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If you haven't yet, another otaku show from that era that's worth watching is Genshiken (and the subsequent related series, although I know quite a few otaku who erroneously think it's bad for focusing on another side of anime nerdery).

Yuyushiki also has a similar sort of vibe to Lucky Star, so that might also be of interest.
Oh, and basically every single Cute Girls Doing Cute Stuff show is inspired directly by Lucky Star, so if that's your jam there's a whole genre of it (that's not as popular as it once was, but still has a few shows each year spread over the seasons).

Are you living in a world where azumanga daioh didn’t exist?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

I have repeatedly and will again gladly sit down and watch the entire endless eight in a single sitting. it owns. this is NOT a bit, I feel like I need to be explicit about this because people think I'm always doing a bit

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ive also repeatedly stated that shoushitsu is, perhaps the greatest film ever released, animated or otherwise. ill let this remain without the bit disclaimer however

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Colonel posted:

i hold the opinion, that endless eight rules and it's funny people still get mad about it to this day
The only thing that makes me mad with Haruhi is how loving bad all of the post-Disappearance arcs are. Endless Eights is comparatively peanuts.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

homeless snail posted:

I have repeatedly and will again gladly sit down and watch the entire endless eight in a single sitting. it owns. this is NOT a bit, I feel like I need to be explicit about this because people think I'm always doing a bit

sounds like endless bait more like

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

thsi feels like a very spiteful and bad faith way of looking at the world op

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Doing a bit would imply you ever told a joke

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
jesus

Fangz posted:

How edgy is this?
edgy, not really. dark, extremely.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

the correct order is the order they were broadcast in, cheers.

the problem is when the episodes are provided in a non-standard order (which is what i had) and with no clear indication of the episode titles (which is what i had) and the only way to figure out what episode is what is to go in and try to find the title card

turns out i don't care enough about the watch order to do that every time i want to watch an anime episode

marumaru
May 20, 2013

homeless snail posted:

big haruhi spoilers for, the guy thats just now watching haruhi its the eight week block of haruhi where, they get caught in a time loop and you get to watch eight episodes that are, substantially the same material but reanimated each time directed by 8 different directors with their own takes on it

Its Art

i'll say that i enjoyed it immensely for the artistic / absolutely bonkers fact that they actually did it, but by 4/8 my patience was already wearing thin. i have limited time to dedicate to anime activities these days :(

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

its so good im going mental

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
tfw you dont expect the wacky utopian alien mascot to be the protagonist but it learns human suffering and quickly becomes the heaviest char

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's only 3 chapters on mangadex, are there other places with more?

I can only imagine things will truly get real when the camera gets broken

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
not yet its just worth my time to truck thru in jp per week. the group that picked up scans seems good at typesetting and vicious vocabulary. and yeah that's a heavy chapter

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

:(

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

The only thing that makes me mad with Haruhi is how loving bad all of the post-Disappearance arcs are. Endless Eights is comparatively peanuts.

no tehy're not....neat stuff happens...

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I watched a couple eps of endless 8 and then skipped the rest because I barely have the attention span to watch one episode of anime let alone the same one eight times.

theyere not the same. they're fcompletely distinct

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
TBH my favorite character in the series is Kyon's old friend from middle school who has this whole open-minded, philosophical approach to everything.

Edit: She doesn't show up in the anime at all.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
this gentler, completely unrelated oneshot from the same artist is p. nice too

https://mangadex.org/title/4326a16f-9225-466e-92d9-5e1bd266309a/a-story-after-everything-went-well

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

mycophobia posted:

no tehy're not....neat stuff happens...
I would rather watch Endless Eight back to back 10 times in a row than a single season with the Double Mikuru arc.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

That's horrifying.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I would rather watch Endless Eight back to back 10 times in a row than a single season with the Double Mikuru arc.

ok maybe that's not the best arc ever but the stuff after is cool

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Love having another arc that is like three books long and ends with nothing of consequence happening and just reverting back to the status quo because the author had absolutely no idea what to actually do with the story.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
its about the journey, op.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Namtab posted:

Doing a bit would imply you ever told a joke
this!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

mycophobia posted:

its about the journey, op.
I definitely would have been less overall annoyed if they had not made that journey one of a 9 year hiatus and only returning with another whatever short story compilation. At least when Twelve Kingdoms finally came back it was with a 4 book behemoth to close out a longrunning story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

What some would call the Zhuge Liang of posting would never make jokes, only promises