Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Gonkish posted:

Don't even get me started on GPUs right now. Been looking since 2020. Still on a 1080. Praying it doesn't die on me. :smith:

Meanwhile, the animators have done such a loving great job with so much of this poo poo. Greasus' death animation is hilarious, Skarbrand just runs up and punts dudes, the nurglings are loving gross AND adorable, all the Slaanesh units are creepy weirdos, the Cathayan dragons look incredible in motion, etc. There's so much goodness here, holy gently caress.

Same. Looking at dropping around 2K on a new PC since fuuuck bitcoiners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Sega 32X posted:

Dragonlance has all sorts of rights issues these days, IIRC.

If we are going with old groggy poo poo, if it wasn't for the whole "basically all weird, slightly racist white people interpretations of Asian things", Legend of the Five Rings would be a great Total War. The Clans in that all had very distinct identities in that 90s "personality types/jobs in a group" and each had a ton of main characters that would lend themselves to the TW:WH format. There were lots of unique units from the tabletop game and card game that could be easily adapted, magic, a recognizable Chaos-like threat for the campaign, and cool monsters that could be incorporated into every army, and even armies down the line of mostly monsters and a lesser sister setting for expansion. The issue is L5R is that even with the various reboots, the setting still has a some problematic issues, and the fanbase was never that big. But with the huge amount of RPG stuff and the fiction focus of that game, there's an almost comparable amount of ~LORE~ to draw upon as Warhammer has, despite being around for 10-20 fewer years.

Or they could just do, like, a high fantasy Shogun 3, which would be rad.

Most of the D&D settings don't really have the zazz needed and I doubt GW would be happy with the total war guys going with their major competition in the tabletop space. If GW still have some of the LotR rights and could give CA/Sega an in, I would bet that is the most likely property for the next high fantasy Total War, especially if the Amazon series gets any cultural foothold.

Might be cool to do an India mythology Total War. They haven't really done a lot of stuff in India and it would have some fun stuff like elephants. If they were doing the battles in the Mahabharata you could have all sorts of wild heroes and monsters and such wrecking poo poo.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Sega 32X posted:

Most of the D&D settings don't really have the zazz needed and I doubt GW would be happy with the total war guys going with their major competition in the tabletop space. If GW still have some of the LotR rights and could give CA/Sega an in, I would bet that is the most likely property for the next high fantasy Total War, especially if the Amazon series gets any cultural foothold.

D&D isn't in competition with GW in the tabletop space.

LoTR already has enough "cultural foothold" without the Amazon series, but aside from that WB has the current rights for video games in the IP, GW only had narrow rights to make tabletop wargaming stuff. Other companies have separate deals for card and roleplaying games.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

An Eberron game has the necessary Total War aspect if they wanted to adapt a D&D setting, but most of the setting’s development has been done in the 20’s style pulp period after the cataclysmic magical WW1 pastiche.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TWW2 had like five years of DLCs. TWW3 might have even more of it, specially if they're adding mini-campaigns to the menu. I will have spent more on this trilogy than on my house by the time it is done with content.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Might be cool to do an India mythology Total War. They haven't really done a lot of stuff in India and it would have some fun stuff like elephants. If they were doing the battles in the Mahabharata you could have all sorts of wild heroes and monsters and such wrecking poo poo.

CA nerf Karnagrog! OP duelist single handedly destroying my Pandava stacks, such bullshit.

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_(weapon) give me a game with weaponry that can wipe entire armies on the low end and destroy the universe on the high end.

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 21, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mr. Grapes! posted:

God knows the last thing CA needs is for culture warriors screaming and making GBS threads themselves at perceived hinduphobia because they have the brains of chimps.

Crackpot theory would be Total War Warcraft or TES by the time the development wraps up on Total warhams 3.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tankbuster posted:

God knows the last thing CA needs is for culture warriors screaming and making GBS threads themselves at perceived hinduphobia because they have the brains of chimps.

Crackpot theory would be Total War Warcraft or TES by the time the development wraps up on Total warhams 3.

If Microsoft buys SEGA I'll believe it, but Japan apparently has laws against foreign ownership of domestic companies.

Total War: Endless Legends would be my wild take since SEGA owns both CA and Amplitude and Legends has a lot of cool factions that could be adapted to an assymetrical Total War.

Total War: Dominions is like the one IP that could really surpass Total Hammer in "mash different periods/myths/themes in big fite" and it is a shame it won't ever happen.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Total War: Kingdom Hearts, lets get bonkers in here

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

I've managed to get my relations with the dwarfs really high, without actually ending the war between us

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

ZearothK posted:

If Microsoft buys SEGA I'll believe it, but Japan apparently has laws against foreign ownership of domestic companies.

Total War: Endless Legends would be my wild take since SEGA owns both CA and Amplitude and Legends has a lot of cool factions that could be adapted to an assymetrical Total War.

Total War: Dominions is like the one IP that could really surpass Total Hammer in "mash different periods/myths/themes in big fite" and it is a shame it won't ever happen.

SEGA companies like CA and relic have already made videogames for Microsoft. Granted not with their primary teams but that door has already been nudged open.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Boris is probably part of the intro mini campaign, or maybe one of the multiplayer campaigns

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
there's already precedent for them being multiplayer only

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gamerofthegame posted:

there's already precedent for them being multiplayer only
Right but people have also been complaining that guys like Toddy and the Red Duke are in the game with unique portraits but arent playable. We've gotten *tons* of FLC over the past few years (where sometimes the FLC like Repanse has been better than the actual DLC content) so I agree there is precedent but I have a feeling that they have so many LLs that they can produce that they may toss a few unlockables in there to spice up the base game.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Total War has to do 40K at some point. Even if it takes some iterating over a couple of installments, I can't see how CA and GW wouldn't at least want to try and make a go of it.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Tirranek posted:

Total War has to do 40K at some point. Even if it takes some iterating over a couple of installments, I can't see how CA and GW wouldn't at least want to try and make a go of it.

For me personally it would probably smother any last temptation to buy a little actual plastic man ever again

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

As I suck off truckers down by the highway to afford the graphics card required for it

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, don't go fooling yourself, there's going to be a 40k Total War at this point. There's also no reason why it wouldn't be possible to make one.

A couple of months back I think it was Dan Abnett (who's a GW employed author most associated with 40k as I understand it, he's the Eisenhorn guy and such), while working on that Darktide game, said he was also working on another in-development game project that he couldn't speak about, only that it was much bigger (than Darktide) and the biggest one GW has been working on yet (or something along that line). It's very probably 40k Total War.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Twigand Berries posted:

For me personally it would probably smother any last temptation to buy a little actual plastic man ever again

I always thought GW was dumb for considering video games to be competition for models so that view confuses me. Building and painting mans is fun, looking at them set up on a cool model battlefield is fun, it isn't scratching the same itch as a video game at all.

Can't afford GW and their games suck poo poo though, so historicals it is. You can have two full WW2 platoons for the cost of like, a squad of space marines. With a huge swathe of better rulesets to choose from.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I always thought GW was dumb for considering video games to be competition for models so that view confuses me. Building and painting mans is fun, looking at them set up on a cool model battlefield is fun, it isn't scratching the same itch as a video game at all.

Can't afford GW and their games suck poo poo though, so historicals it is. You can have two full WW2 platoons for the cost of like, a squad of space marines. With a huge swathe of better rulesets to choose from.

How many skulls on those platoons?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gonkish posted:

Don't even get me started on GPUs right now. Been looking since 2020. Still on a 1080. Praying it doesn't die on me. :smith:.

Mr Big shot with his 1080 over here

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tirranek posted:

Oh good this conversation again.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah my computer is so outdated even for WH2,still amazed my 960 can run it as well as it does. Guess It's time to tap into the gold mine in my basement to scratch together the ludicrous amount needed for a modern mid-range graphics card

Twigand Berries posted:

How many skulls on those platoons?

I mean if they're Nazis probably a lot but then you also have to deal with being the guy who willingly buys Nazi toys

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

We could always open up the Age of Sigmar book instead

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh man, you wouldn't believe how SICK and TWISTED the old lore about the Beastmen is, I can barely bear to think about it, like for example

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To change things up a bit I am going to gush more about Skarbrand. I am glad they captured the experience of using him on the battlefield. As in he is just a moving ball of death that ravages realms with his armies as it were just doing their best to keep up and not end up also being butchered by their master.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine post-release will be every year releasing Dogs of War mercs and Not-Indians and Not-Japanese and Not-Arabs and Not-Mongols with legendary lords and missing units for old factions sprinkled between each of those releases and some old mythology with the license numbers filed off for a Monkey King DLC.

Also Nagast and his undead apocalypse.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I am seriously considering nine campaigns at ten turn increments. I laughed at the hard drive requirements. Like I’ll need any other games for awhile. Seriously, remind me to eat I get high and forget

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DaysBefore posted:

We could always open up the Age of Sigmar book instead
:aaaaa: lmao

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DaysBefore posted:

I mean if they're Nazis probably a lot but then you also have to deal with being the guy who willingly buys Nazi toys

Realtalk I got more nazis trying to recruit me as a teenager into Warhammer than in historicals. That prolly doesn't come as a shock, GW didn't feel compelled to push back for no reason.

Heard an unironic "the skaven represent jews" which is one of the most brokebrained "this literally only makes sense if you own an SS uniform" takes in all of warhammer lore chat.

Prolly helps that in historicals everyone usually has both sides. If somebody rolled up with nothing but 3000 points of SS that'd be sketch af, but it's normal in warhammer.

I'm burnt, from moving around a lot as a kid/teen and trying to get pickup games of warhammer in strange cities, it was always a dice roll whether a given store was "pride flags everywhere" kind or "nazi comic book guys, women feel uncomfortable walking in" kind.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It would probably do GW some good to work with CA to come up with some humans living in other parts of the warhammer world that aren't just savage monsters as placeholders.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

30 years ago your greatest threat in a game store was how long ago the people in there had bathed :(

Edit: Actually Games Workshop had an anti fascist response in like 2003. I was a red shirt at the “Chicago” (suburbs) Battle Bunker and some teenagers came in and were standing around one of our demo tables. I was wise to this poo poo at this point because I used to be a suburban teenager and they are all evil fucks. Anyway; these kids hurriedly left the store and when I looked at the table they had arranged the trees into a swastika. I ran outside and proceeded to start an expletive ridden tirade against them and I was a mid 20s tattooed former bike messenger so I guess I intimidated and they sheepishly apologized and scurried off.

Also on our opening night some random teenage girl walked in, was handed a raffle ticket, and five minutes later they held the raffle and she won a forge world resin Eldar bomber that retailed for like $400 and some dude handed her $200 cash for it because she had zero idea what was even happening or why it smelled like BO so strongly

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 21, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It would probably do GW some good to work with CA to come up with some humans living in other parts of the warhammer world that aren't just savage monsters as placeholders.

Counterargument: more savage monsters, humans are boring.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mordja posted:

Counterargument: more savage monsters, humans are boring.

No. It would be good to have more human historical/mythological pastiche nations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, don't go fooling yourself, there's going to be a 40k Total War at this point. There's also no reason why it wouldn't be possible to make one.

A couple of months back I think it was Dan Abnett (who's a GW employed author most associated with 40k as I understand it, he's the Eisenhorn guy and such), while working on that Darktide game, said he was also working on another in-development game project that he couldn't speak about, only that it was much bigger (than Darktide) and the biggest one GW has been working on yet (or something along that line). It's very probably 40k Total War.

I assumed Abnett would be the writer for the recently announced sequel to the W40k Space marine game, but I don't see his name attached to it, so I guess i'm wrong.

Googling 'W40k space marine 2 writer' gets some amazing results btw. The head writer is a transgender woman who often tweets her support for BLM etc, so the average W40k fan is ANGRY.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

I assumed Abnett would be the writer for the recently announced sequel to the W40k Space marine game, but I don't see his name attached to it, so I guess i'm wrong.

Here's the thing though, do you reckon å sequel to Space Marine, a very narrow and focused 3rd person action game, merits being named a much bigger project than Darktide (I'd say they are pretty similar), much less possibly the biggest video game project GW has worked on?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Total War 40k is going to be sick.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Randarkman posted:

No. It would be good to have more human historical/mythological pastiche nations.

Just a solid attempt at some southlands humans, I’m begging you

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

https://youtu.be/nL1WPDx0NAA

Most Importantly the meme potential still seems there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Why would you think that GW would waste one of their best writers on something as narratively thin as an RTS campaign? Far FAR more likely is that Abnett is writing for a huge narrative RPG in the style of The Witcher or old fashioned Bioware RPGs.