Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

The £40 android knock offs are pretty drat good these days.

e: lovely snipe, but dubious copyright infringement is onbrand for bitcoin I guess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1484456594775678976

orange sky
May 7, 2007

the sharpest broken clock

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/wwwdotyoutube/status/1484456646281773060

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

:yum:

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Apple Watch is for people who still fantasise about being Dick Tracey.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Does anyone have a link or know how to get started mining bitcoin? Is it feasible to do it with just a regular computer with a good graphics card running all day? You can PM me if you don't want to endure the absolute dogpiling I'm about to receive.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Robobot posted:

Does anyone have a link or know how to get started mining bitcoin? Is it feasible to do it with just a regular computer with a good graphics card running all day? You can PM me if you don't want to endure the absolute dogpiling I'm about to receive.

Single GPU mining is never going to be feasible or worthwhile.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Just bang your head against a wall it'll be more useful for humanity in the long run

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Robobot posted:

The first step is removing anti-mining software from your system. Look for the folder called SYSTEM32, and delete it. After that you can simply install any bitcoiner miner and mine away.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Robobot posted:

It's not even remotely feasible. Bitcoin mining operations are hundreds of computers with good graphics cards running all day. Your chances of "earning" even a single bitcoin are only slightly better than winning millions of dollars in the lottery, plus you'll use a lot of electricity doing it and destroy your graphics card.

That said, you're clearly a moron, so you should do it. Be sure to come back and tell us how it went so we can enjoy your suffering.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 21, 2022

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

nnnotime posted:

BTC just fell thru $40K. But this is good for bitcoin, as

I'm guessing that the current collapse is due to some people finding out how much tax they owe on their crypto.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Robobot posted:

You're going to need a time machine.

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007

Robobot posted:

Bitcoin no, eth yes. Nicehash is probably the easiest way to jump in, and I think they payout in BTC? But your actually mining ETH or some other shitcoin.

Buy yeah as others have said, it's not worth your time or energy (haha). I did this for about 4 months this year and it's really dumb.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure we're literally a decade past casual bitcoin mining being a way to make free* money* off your gaming rig being even remotely viable. The only reason that hackers even bother installing bitcoin miners on your phone and Internet of poo poo devices is because they're not paying for the electricity or replacements.

There's entire literal server farms set up in countries with cheap power that make up the vast majority of the mining pool.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Electricity is included in my HOA fees and we have nuclear. The power side of things isn't going to cost me any more than what I pay every month anyways. Its actually the reason I decided to check into it. Well, that and no one wants to buy my old gaming rig.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Robobot posted:

Need to mine an alt coin as part of a pool. Probably not worth it given mid-late 2017 it was already not worth it with a single GPU. Check a mining profitability calculator for an optimistic estimate.

It will take years to pay off the cost of hardware if done 24/7. Can't do a lot of stuff on your computer while doing it so turning the program on/off becomes annoying. Causes the room the computer is in to have to deal with more heat than usual which is a hidden cost. In cold areas it will make the room significantly warmer than the rest of the house unless you have zone based heating.

Probably better to use your spare computing resources for a project like one of these.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 21, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if nobody's willing to give you cash upfront for your gaming PC right now, when new graphics cards can't be had at all in lots of places and may not be available for the forseeable future, you don't have a "good" graphics card you've got something generally known to the public to give the user nut cancer

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Last time single computer rigs were profitable was back in 2014 when Butterfly Labs were scamming the poo poo of out people, by selling rigs and before they sent them out they used them to mine butts themselves for months.
So when the customer got the rig to mine, they were mostly already over the curve so useless.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Robobot posted:

Electricity is included in my HOA fees
Oh so you’re an rear end in a top hat.

quote:

and we have nuclear.
Using renewable energy for mining is still bad because that energy could have been used to replace fossil fuel usage for something useful.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Jose Valasquez posted:

Oh so you’re an rear end in a top hat.

being dumb and an rear end in a top hat is a requirement for being a crypto mark

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Robobot posted:

At this point in time, electricity costs are immense but if they're covered by HOA, then it's still a feasible investment. I actually made a few guides on this matter for the local crypto group I'm in. Most are in English but let me know if you have any questions since English isn't my native speaking language.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
this is the thread to mock cryptofolk. if you want to smear that poo poo on you we may have other threads

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's more ethical, cooler, and more profitable to steal other things from an HOA, for example lawn equipment.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Last time single computer rigs were profitable was back in 2014 when Butterfly Labs were scamming the poo poo of out people, by selling rigs and before they sent them out they used them to mine butts themselves for months.
So when the customer got the rig to mine, they were mostly already over the curve so useless.

bfl sold asic miners

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Robobot posted:

Electricity is included in my HOA fees and we have nuclear. The power side of things isn't going to cost me any more than what I pay every month anyways. Its actually the reason I decided to check into it. Well, that and no one wants to buy my old gaming rig.

"electricity is included in my HOA fees" is not the same as "I don't have to pay for electricity"

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
any fresh animal avatar rug pulls happen this week for me to laugh at?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Vashro posted:

Just the twitter nonsense.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/russian-cbank-proposes-banning-cryptocurrencies-crypto-mining-2022-01-20/

This could be part of the reason for the fall.

Also noting that bitcoin price seems to follow market trends and the whole stock market has been going down lately could be it too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well, time to print up another billion ethereum

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

latinotwink1997 posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/russian-cbank-proposes-banning-cryptocurrencies-crypto-mining-2022-01-20/

Also noting that bitcoin price seems to follow market trends and the whole stock market has been going down lately could be it too.

actually it's because i went ahead and bought a gpu, so of course prices are due tumble right afterwards.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

latinotwink1997 posted:

if this is a result of people overreacting to thinking that Russian-sheltered cryptoextortion isn't going to be able to prop up the price of Bitcoin anymore, I guess that just goes to show that people really don't understand how this criminal enterprise launders and spends its money

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 21, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Crime on a Dime posted:

bfl sold asic miners

poo poo I forgot those existed

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
there is no other game in town for btc

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its upppppp!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Vashro posted:

I think big daddy ape just rug pulled, lol

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Came here to post this. Hell yeah.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
https://twitter.com/serenawilliams/status/1484159217791647751?t=w9Jsd0ZlJ18TK0LNdTZhxw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lol.
https://twitter.com/serenawilliams/status/1484186070455500805