Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No no, she’s the the calibration target for the gravitational probes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gonna assume it’s hit by orbital trash.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Crab Dad posted:

Didn't know they'd launched yer mom

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Yo Crab Dad, just making sure this post didn't pass you by. This thread moves fast sometimes and we can't have the blessed reservist getting hosed over.

Crab Dad posted:

I can’t seem to go to sleep without making my arms fall asleep and having them go numb.

Space Opera posted:

You might want to get evaluated for cubital tunnel syndrome - I was recently diagnosed and that is one of the top symptoms on the checklist.

Edit: meant to write Can't instead of can.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 21, 2022

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Thanks I actually took a screen shot of the post and looked into it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

No more Meat Loaf :(

Unless this is some kind of weird viral marketing for a reissue of Bat Out of Hell

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

SerthVarnee posted:

Yo Crab Dad, just making sure this post didn't pass you by. This thread moves fast sometimes and we can have the blessed reservist getting hosed over.

Posting on forums for 25 years all you old people. Can't wait for the CPAP discussion.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

Speaking of which, where is Elon Musk's stupid orbiting car? Because it crashing into the telescope would be Peak 2020s.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Speaking of which, where is Elon Musk's stupid orbiting car? Because it crashing into the telescope would be Peak 2020s.

It’s in a moderately eccentric heliocentric orbit that crosses the orbits of Earth and Mars.

JWST is hanging out at L2, which is for these purposes pretty close to Earth, and its orbit is synchronous with ours.

Musk’s Roadster will make its next approach to Earth in 2047, which is well outside the lifetime of JWST. Additionally, even this “close” pass will be much further from Earth than JWST is, so there’s no chance of the two colliding at that time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

It’s in a moderately eccentric heliocentric orbit that crosses the orbits of Earth and Mars.

JWST is hanging out at L2, which is for these purposes pretty close to Earth, and its orbit is synchronous with ours.

Musk’s Roadster will make its next approach to Earth in 2047, which is well outside the lifetime of JWST. Additionally, even this “close” pass will be much further from Earth than JWST is, so there’s no chance of the two colliding at that time.

Good to know. Follow-up: how could we push that stupid Roadster into an orbit that crashes it into the Sun?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One of the advantage of the Roadster versus some random asteroid is that we know its physical properties exactly. So we don’t have to fool around with one of those fancy concepts like a gravity tug. We could make rocket that intercepts it, grabs on, and gives it something like fourteen kilometres per second of retrograde Δv.

It would then fall straight into the Sun.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Falling takes to long. Better to spend the money and accelerate it instead

:jeb:

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Zamujasa posted:

I'm late to the Washington State party, but for those who live there, is there any place in that state that's relatively normal-priced for living/renting? Our rent in Vegas is $1600+ (E: and vegas prices are among the fastest-rising, cool) and I'd like to move up to the PNW because I am tired of 110F deserts but I'm totally loving inexperienced when it comes to moving that far and know little about the region.

Check out Longview in the southwest corner and Aberdeen on the west coast. Aberdeen was cheap when I looked last year but it is an economically depressed backwater that doesn’t see the sun very often

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Good to know. Follow-up: how could we push that stupid Roadster into an orbit that crashes it into the Sun?

It takes a fuckload of delta-v to push anything tward the sun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah. It is exceedingly difficult to fire anything into the sun.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
See also: Parker Solar Probe's insane gravity assist scheme

Firing it into Jupiter, on the other hand :science:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
If you wait long enough, the sun comes to you.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No more Meat Loaf :(

Unless this is some kind of weird viral marketing for a reissue of Bat Out of Hell

I guess he really wouldn't do anything for love...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ASAPI posted:

I guess he really wouldn't do anything for love...

Don’t do that.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
When I think about Meatloaf, I think about the movie Black Dog. Meatloaf, Swayze and Randy Travis. It is as bad as it sounds.

Also I think about the second Protomen album, even though he wasn't on it, it was the most Meatloaf album of the '00s.

Thanks for rock opera influence, and bad movies, Meatloaf.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Meatloaf was an rear end in a top hat who made like three good songs and I’m hopeful that he will be best remembered as Bob with Bitchtits.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
He was a chud politically.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

boop the snoot posted:

Meatloaf was an rear end in a top hat who made like three good songs and I’m hopeful that he will be best remembered as Bob with Bitchtits.

poo poo, I forgot he was in Fight Club, because I haven't watched it in probably the better part of a decade. And I'd rather watch Choke again (Sam Rockwell owns).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

boop the snoot posted:

poo poo, that was meatloaf? I had no idea.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Meat Loaf was in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, which my family watched pretty much once a year, and it owned.

The next time I saw Meat Loaf on screen was on the only couple of episodes of The Apprentice I ever watched and I felt bad for him...and humanity.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 21, 2022

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah. It is exceedingly difficult to fire anything into the sun.

Yes, and you all really really owe it to yourselves to watch this video. It’s a tour of the Parker Solar Probe’s rocket with the guy that built it.

The Parker Solar Probe on its rocket was the fastest man made object ever in the history of man made objects. That.. literally brings a tear to my eye.

This is just such an endearing, beautiful, video that’ll tell you just how loving awe inspiring a thing we as humans did with the Parker Solar probe.

https://youtu.be/OdPoVi_h0r0

400,000 miles an hour. .06c.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 21, 2022

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

That Works posted:

poo poo, that was meatloaf? I had no idea.

Yes, Bob with Bitchtits was also in Black Dog and sang about doing anything for love.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Wait. Did you actually see Black Dog?

I just have a hard time believing anyone else saw that blowjob to truck drivers.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My mom was a Swayze (and country music) fan. I watched it with her when I was a kid.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol. Glad to know I'm not the only one here that suffered through it. It was so goddamn bad.

Most of my family having been truckers, I've seen too many bad trucking movies.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol. Glad to know I'm not the only one here that suffered through it. It was so goddamn bad.

Most of my family having been truckers, I've seen too many bad trucking movies.
There's good ones?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

stealie72 posted:

There's good ones?

Not really, no. Smokey and the Bandit is about as good as it gets.

E: maybe Maximum Overdrive. Not really about trucking though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not really, no. Smokey and the Bandit is about as good as it gets.

E: maybe Maximum Overdrive. Not really about trucking though.

What about Convoy? I mean wasn't that directed by Peckinpah.

Maximum Overdrive is proof that cocaine isn't always the pathway to a good directorial debut.

Also best King property will always be The Running Man.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What about that one Paul Walker movie

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Convoy is okay, I have a soft spot for Rubber Duck. It's just hard to watch because of the production values, the script isn't meh. But it's a fun look at 70s trucking.

Trucking just isn't something that movies should be made about. If it's ancillary to the plot, sure, like in Smokey, but there's nothing of real interest to the industry.

I don't know the Paul Walker one off the top of my head.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Also best King property will always be The Running Man.

Running Man was written under the Bachman pseudonym. Besides, Shawshank Redemption is probably the best movie made from his work. It was a short story collection and is about 100 pages long.

I still love Running Man, book and movie, but Shawshank is pretty hands down the best adaptation of his work.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 21, 2022

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Wait. Did you actually see Black Dog?

I just have a hard time believing anyone else saw that blowjob to truck drivers.

I saw it with my dad in the theaters lol

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

lightpole posted:

Posting on forums for 25 years all you old people. Can't wait for the CPAP discussion.

The Panasonic DreamStation was a really nice machine but it turned out that the foam they used for sound dampening was carcinogenic. So they recalled it and now I'm stuck with this pos ResMed AirSense 10 and can't get the humidity, temperature and air pressure dialed in for poo poo. Keeps leaving me with a dry, scabby nose and hurts like poo poo.

Especially since the youngest puppy goes for kisses in the nose region, like razor blades.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Convoy is okay, I have a soft spot for Rubber Duck. It's just hard to watch because of the production values, the script isn't meh. But it's a fun look at 70s trucking.

Trucking just isn't something that movies should be made about. If it's ancillary to the plot, sure, like in Smokey, but there's nothing of real interest to the industry.

Hear me out

Remake the first Fast and Furious movie but from the point of the truckers. And at the end Bin Diesel gets shot in the face.

(Not correcting Bin).

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh, fast and furious. That's less a movie about truckers than it is about showing off Diesel's muscles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Tory Bruno seems like an extremely courteous and pleasant person, so it was especially effective when he called out Jeff Bezos last year.

His company, United Launch Alliance (ULA, the totally-not-a-monopoly formed by combining Boeing and Lockheed) is building a new Vulcan rocket and they decided to use the BE-4 engines being design & manufactured by Jeff Bezos’ space company, Blue Origin (BO, the one with that especially-penis-looking rocket that barely makes it up to space).

So BO is something like a year or more behind on actually making their first flight article, let alone delivering anything to a paying customer. Bezos was was on Twitter bragging about BO’s quarterly numbers or sending a celebrity up for a few moment’s of weightlessness, and Tory just drops in and asks. “Where are my engines, Jeff?”

Which was just beautiful for this completely good-natured guy to publicly call-out Bezos and the PR bullshit and be 100% correct.

I think the resolution was BO said he’d have his engines by the end of 2021, and now in January they are “announcing the final schedule for starting deliveries.”