Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

r u ready to WALK posted:

how do we know they haven't been secretly lacing the drinking water with that drug for the last 10 years
only 10 years?

ever hear of fluoridation??? my fluids!

seriously though yeah its plastics

it's a shame that a word that meant "can be easily changed" came to be used for materials that are going to continue to easily change things for the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

are you me

RC Cola posted:

Hello I just watched sg1 for the first time and am on season 4 of Atlantis. Maybe the feds are trying to catch us collectively watching

Atlantis is fantastic but once you notice that the writers liked to extremely overused the pregnant pause to cause tension it gets kind of annoying on re-watch.

"Sheppards jumper just disappeared from our scopes!!"
*reaction shots*
"Sheppard this is Elizabeth, Are you there?"
*static and reaction shots*
"Anything on the sensors?"
"No Ma'am"
"Sheppard this is Atlantis Control, .....John...........Do you read?!"
*reaction shots of worried people*
*a few more seconds*
*........*
"This is Sheppard :smug:"
*control room bursts into cheers*

It's like Sheppard was a dickhead that got off on waiting 2 minutes to respond to radio calls. Happens a billion times.

The reason i can comfortably talk about stargate in this climate catastrophe is that I heard about Shell's carbon capture plant being fully operational.

Now to check the rest of the thread for any related news while drinking an endangered morning coffee......

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
sg1 year 1-5 was good. everything else is extremely variable.

i think atlantis really wasted a lot of interesting opportunity and universe completely hosed it up. it could’ve been so cool to travel the universe lost and alone but no, they get to psychically travel to earth every episode

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

i've gotten to sg-1 s10 again and way too many episodes start with the mid-conflict up front, then after the intro credits it starts with whatever happened before without so much as a cursory "24 Hours Earlier" title card

also kinda hosed up that throughout all of the series SGC+ insists that these other cultures need to disclose fully with their populations what's actually going on while maintaining as much secrecy as possible on Earth

word is if the new series actually happens it'll be post-disclosure for Earth which may make for some good flashbacks

Free Jaffa: "We'd like to show the Tau'ri our appreciation for their efforts in freeing us."

USAF: "Thanks, we've got it from here."

stringless has issued a correction as of 13:07 on Jan 21, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Alobar posted:

this is kinda all you really need to know about biden

omg

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

logical endpoint of the War On Drugs is War On Dopamine

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

TACD posted:

logical endpoint of the War On Drugs is War On Dopamine

well yeah sugar is a controlled substance in Judge Dredd which is exactly where american society is headed

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
they are called stargates but as far as I can tell the gates don't actually go to any stars, just the planets nearby. And thank god for that

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
No big deal, just the President of the United States literally wanting to create the Pax from Firefly to pacify minorities

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FFT posted:

i've gotten to sg-1 s10 again and way too many episodes start with the mid-conflict up front, then after the intro credits it starts with whatever happened before without so much as a cursory "24 Hours Earlier" title card

also kinda hosed up that throughout all of the series SGC+ insists that these other cultures need to disclose fully with their populations what's actually going on while maintaining as much secrecy as possible on Earth

word is if the new series actually happens it'll be post-disclosure for Earth which may make for some good flashbacks

Free Jaffa: "We'd like to show the Tau'ri our appreciation for their efforts in freeing us."

USAF: "Thanks, we've got it from here."

it would be nice. tv writing and especially cinematography has markedly improved in recent years in part from i think all the competition (actually maybe the peak writing has stayed the same but because there's so much to watch i can just be a lot choosier about it).

i think they could pretty easily do two full series if they wanted to off of this if they wanted. one that does more space stuff. one that deals solely with the repercussions of this influx of alien technology on the planet and what happens to societies on earth as these programs are revealed. imo it would be too much to easily do in a single show without haphazardly jumping all over the place (not all but a lot of the earth episodes of sg1 were pretty weak).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

they are called stargates but as far as I can tell the gates don't actually go to any stars, just the planets nearby. And thank god for that

depends on the episode, really

but more to the point the entire addressing system is based on stellar notation

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Sg1 also had some of the best gag episodes.

wormhole xtreme episode

The groundhogs day episode with Tealc getting hit by the door every time it reset

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

there was that one time they dumped a stargate into a star and then dialed it to a gate stuck in a black hole

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

blatman posted:

there was that one time they dumped a stargate into a star and then dialed it to a gate stuck in a black hole

hell yeah that sounds :krad:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Sg1 also has those amazing callback episodes

All the poo poo with the Aschen is some of the best sci fi tv

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Egg Moron posted:

hard agree, those were great episodes. i mostly didn’t like when it got too campy. the groundhog day ep is great example of straddling the line (“…in the middle of my backswing?!?!”)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Egg Moron posted:

The Aschen stuff is still a pretty compelling storyline.

They gave us world peace, cured all disease, doubled our lifespans, geo-engineered the planet and in return they just wanted to sterilize most of humanity to keep us from loving up the planet.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 14:51 on Jan 21, 2022

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Im the weirdo who liked the first 2/3rds of Universe. Not better than SG:1, but I don’t think it deserves the hate.

Doctor Beckett had the best character arc in Atlantis, and they even only killed him the one time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The Aschen stuff is still a pretty compelling storyline.

They gave us world peace, cured all disease, doubled our lifespans, geo-engineered the planet and in return they just wanted to sterilize most of humanity to keep us from loving up the planet.

wild how my views on this have changed over time lol. i don't think id want to live on a farm planet without books or whatever, but.

nomad2020 posted:

Im the weirdo who liked the first 2/3rds of Universe. Not better than SG:1, but I don’t think it deserves the hate.

Doctor Beckett had the best character arc in Atlantis, and they even only killed him the one time.

i liked a lot of universe, i'm just mad they squandered. the communication stones were awful and ruined the show, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Can they not use drones for that

It can be done from orbit.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

mediaphage posted:

it would be nice. tv writing and especially cinematography has markedly improved in recent years in part from i think all the competition (actually maybe the peak writing has stayed the same but because there's so much to watch i can just be a lot choosier about it).

i think they could pretty easily do two full series if they wanted to off of this if they wanted. one that does more space stuff. one that deals solely with the repercussions of this influx of alien technology on the planet and what happens to societies on earth as these programs are revealed. imo it would be too much to easily do in a single show without haphazardly jumping all over the place (not all but a lot of the earth episodes of sg1 were pretty weak).

Specifically thinking of the good episode of te'lec on earth cleaning up a poor neighborhood with his superpowers

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Specifically thinking of the good episode of te'lec on earth cleaning up a poor neighborhood with his superpowers

lol he bummed a cig off my friend once. i remember an interview with that actor where he's like thank god they let him grow his hair out, that sucked shaving my head daily

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lmfao

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Shima Honnou posted:

its okay because did you know the worlds largest carbon capture plant opened in iceland

and that icelandic saviour is winning!!!!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Egg Moron posted:

Sg1 also had some of the best gag episodes.

wormhole xtreme episode

The groundhogs day episode with Tealc getting hit by the door every time it reset

The groundhogs day episode was the best. Wormhole xtreme was a close second

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i actually mostly don’t like the wormhole shows. just too on the nose.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Is beckett coming back from the dead? He died heroically but no one stays dead in stargate except the other doctor who died in sg1 lol

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Homeless Friend posted:

Carbon Capture & Release

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Homeless Friend posted:

Methane Capture & Release

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

no more carbon capture

we need carbon guantanamo

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/01/20/canada-island-nature-conservancy-vikstrom/

quote:

Developers pleaded to buy his island for years. He said no, and in a final rebuff, he gave it to a conservancy.

The pristine island is nestled between two of Quebec’s major cities, Montreal and Laval.

---

Thor Vikström has gotten countless calls from developers wanting to buy his seven-acre island that he can see from his Quebec home. He has owned the island since the 1960s, and fiercely protects it as a natural habitat.

Developers pleaded with him to sell so they could build roads, high-rises and bridges on it, he said.

“You think you’re going to destroy my island with that stupidity?” he recalled responding to the developers, who opened their bids decades ago at $500,000.

He purchased the island, called Îl Ronde, in the late 1960s for $5,000, with one goal in mind: to protect and preserve it. He recently donated it for the very same reason to the Nature Conservancy of Canada.

It’s now valued at $125,000, he said, but he believes it is worth much more than that.

“I don’t want money. I want the island to be an island, and I want the life that comes and goes here to have a home,” Vikström said. “No amount of money can ever buy it.”

“My life is not forever,” said Vikström, 93, who still works at a family-run hydraulics company he started in 1980. “The island has to be protected.”

The island, surrounded by the Prairies River, is considered a rare jewel of biodiversity, particularly because it is situated between two of Quebec’s major cities — Montreal is to the south, and Laval is to the north.

There are countless species that thrive there, including shagbark hickory — a type of tree that is considered threatened in the province — plus map turtles, which are also designated by the Canadian government as a “special concern.”

From his vantage point, he often sees water birds, map turtles and unique tree species, flourishing in their natural habitat. It’s the same view he’s had for the past five decades, and yet, it still fills him with wonder.

“We have to be careful, and we have to make sure that some part of it stays protected,” said Vikström, who moved from Sweden to Canada with his late wife and firstborn son in 1962 and subsequently founded Scanada, his hydraulics company.

Not long after arriving in Quebec, Vikström built his dream riverside home. What appealed most about the property, he said, is that it overlooked an island, brimming with birds, turtles and trees. For him, being constantly surrounded by wildlife was a perfect way to live.

“I have loved nature from the day I was born,” Vikström said. Owning an untouched island “was my dream.”

Although it took several years to persuade the previous owner of Îl Ronde to sell it to him, once the island was in his possession, “you can’t imagine how happy I was,” Vikström said. “I don’t know how to express it.”

In Vikström’s case, “it was never a question of buying it, it was a question of protecting it,” he said.

Indeed, his primary motive to buy the island was to safeguard it. In his effort to protect it, though, he also had the opportunity to bask in its splendor each day.

His family regularly visited the natural oasis and invited friends to spend time there, too. In the summer months, it was an ideal camping spot, and in the winter, snow-coated branches made for a picturesque view.

“It was actually the best thing in the world to grow up there,” said Vikström’s eldest son, Hans Vikström.

He recalls waking up early in the morning to see the sun rise on the island, hot chocolate in hand, sitting next to his father, who sipped his coffee as he admired the animals.

“We’d just watch the ducks,” said Hans Vikström, 63. “It’s a natural aquarium.”

While the Vikström family enjoyed the island as a backyard haven, there were strict rules in place — such as no fires or littering — to ensure that the natural habitat was never disrupted.

Several species of waterfowl, including Canada goose, wood duck, gadwall and American wigeon, flock to the island, and various fish populations, such as burbot, northern pike and largemouth bass, frequent its waters. The conservation of the island’s shorelines, and the maintenance of the water quality, is key to the animals’ survival.

Although Vikström’s three children, as well as his six grandchildren, all vowed to continue caring for the island and its inhabitants, the family agreed that in order to protect the natural habitat indefinitely, they needed to donate it.

The Nature Conservancy of Canada, a private nonprofit conservation organization, is elated by Vikström’s donation, which was finalized last month. Although the island is no longer in the family’s possession, “we are free to enjoy the island for as long as we live,” Hans Vikström said.

“Every time someone makes a gift, it’s for everyone,” said Joël Bonin, the associate vice president of development and communications for the organization’s Quebec chapter.

“Individual actions sum into a large and very impactful objective,” he continued, adding that the donation will contribute to Canada’s goal of protecting 30 percent of land and water by 2030.

What a badass.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

:unsmith:

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
It is extremely hard to be an investor and a doomer. https://reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/s963ic/it_is_extremely_hard_to_be_an_investor_and_a/

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lmao at all the cope in the comments

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Complications posted:

Imagine being told to read and analyze CSPAM in detail for eight hours a day.

This is the real cause behind Havana syndrome

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

RC Cola posted:

Is beckett coming back from the dead? He died heroically but no one stays dead in stargate except the other doctor who died in sg1 lol
a parallel version of Janet came back in s9e13 lol
one of Martouf, the Tok'ra that Carter was into, as well.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

:reddit: posted:

I agree with you that climate change is going to devastate our planet and that it's very depressing and bleak for most of the planet. But

:reddit: posted:

In a lot of ways covid has also been a catalyst for positive change as well. For many industries and individuals the new work from home norm has improved both work/life balance and productivity. It also has helped push people into retirement who are typically high wage earners but not necessarily high productivity individuals. This improves the job market for younger, potentially more productive individuals.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

It is more than a bit ironic that the anti-nuclear environmentalists of the 70s and 80s probably did more harm to the environment than almost anyone.

That "almost" is doing a lot of work there.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

please bike and recycle, you make a difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Homeless Friend posted:

Carbon Capture & Release

lmao