Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MegaZeroX posted:

Ideally Konami would just have multiple popular formats. GOAT, Edison, HAT, TOSS, and modern maybe. Of course OCG vs TCG throws a wrench in the historical formats, but one can at least get a simulacrum of it. But given Konami, who knows.

Not familiar with those other formats but yeah hopefully they'll support other formats cause if it's only Modern I imagine this game will not have a long life as the current meta for the game is incredibly unfriendly for new players(not to mention not very fun to either play with or against*)

*or watch for that matter, imagine how awful it would be if any of the animes followed the real card game meta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

drrockso20 posted:

Not familiar with those other formats but yeah hopefully they'll support other formats cause if it's only Modern I imagine this game will not have a long life as the current meta for the game is incredibly unfriendly for new players(not to mention not very fun to either play with or against*)

*or watch for that matter, imagine how awful it would be if any of the animes followed the real card game meta

Arc-V and VRAINS managed to have actual meta decks in them, although they were not necessarily the deck of the protagonist.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

so here's the Secret Packs I can currently access;

The First Heroes
Transfigured Heroes
Pearlescent Cyber Dragons
Gargantuan Gears
World Cloaked In Magical Power
Futuristic Creatures
Shark's Pride
Supernatural Elements
Justice from Light
Fires of This World and The Next
Secret Fighters
Life Force Control System
Star-Studded Futures

which one(s) are both A) reasonably viable in the current meta, and B) as brainless as possible to play?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely ancient gears for brainless.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah I ended up doing several ten pulls of both that one and the other pack that included Ancient Gears and got the beginnings of a deck going*, definitely needs more work(cause while I am reasonably familiar with how Ancient Gears work as a deck, it's been a couple years since I last built a deck for them) but had a good time just now trouncing some guy using a "Rokket" deck(not familiar with that archetype but I can already tell it's one of those ones that is really obnoxious to play against) thanks to getting just the right set of cards need to get out an Ultimate Ancient Gear Golem

*really obnoxious that Gear Town of all cards is an Ultra Rare in this game, meant I actually had to go and craft one after not getting one even though I had pulled a lot of the Ancient Gears pack

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
This game is going to be weird for me. Keeping up with the meta is cool, but this XYZ Geargia loaner deck is super fun to play.

I might boot up Link Evolution and copy some of these lists over :)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Their gameplan is to end on Herald of Ultimateness and as many fodder for its effect as possible.
Herald of ultimateness is a ritual monster that lets you pitch a fairy from the hand for an omni-negate or a summon negate. This is not once per turn and can keep going as long as you have fairies in the hand, Drytron do this by abusing Cyber Angel Benten to search many fairy cards. plus, HoU is a level 12 ritual which would be impractical in its own deck but since drytron skip levels and ritual summon based on ATK/DEF it can get cheated out.

Its also a tedious combo deck that will take loving ages to end its turns, nevermind in master duel where the UI and animations are slow.

Oh, but i love combo decks...well i like Storm in mtg, i dont think yugioh has quite as fun combos tbh bc it always seems to end with "and then i played X" where x is just the best creature at the time

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I found out Emergency Teleport is at two and now i dont know how to make a super quants deck bc i never played with that card. I know its really good in the deck, free blue ranger is so powerful, i just aint really sure what to do with the freed up normal summon haha. I hope the danger! Engine is still playable i dont want to learn any new cards

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Tried this game last night on PC. I don’t really care about the 3D stuff and 5gb just takes awhile to download.

It’s definitely hard to read cards without a large montior, but having a mouse to click the card for enlarged version helps.

I went for the link deck so I can learn about it, and it’s also a cyberse deck that can do basic buff and clean up. It become mindless when the AI decided to attack my 100/100 monster that free summon a lv 8 beatstick… twice.

Was lucky to catch a Link deck duel on live spectacle, so I can see how that link monster hits 5k atk after 3-ish round.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Major important tip, like "should be in the OP" major:

Crafting an SR or UR is 100% guaranteed to give you access to that archetype's secret pack (if it has one, check the "How to obtain" option). You don't need to wait for a random pull.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 21, 2022

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
That’s great! I was disappointed that I can’t rebuild some of my old favorite like Counter Fairy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nyaa posted:

That’s great! I was disappointed that I can’t rebuild some of my old favorite like Counter Fairy.
Counter Fairy's in particular is probably one I'll be pulling from more, just because the entire Solemn brigade is in there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think I got eyes bigger than my stomach, because at this point I've got frameworks of three separate decks (Vampire Shiranui, Kozmo, and my IRL Shaddoll deck), and nowhere near enough resources to build any of them. It turns out a lot of staple cards are SR and UR in this game, which makes building even conventionally cheap decks hard.

From what I can tell Shiranuis are solo story-locked, so I can at least shoot for them as a goal. And... if I read the rewards right, there's a Monarch deck that probably doesn't suck as an early reward.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I think I got eyes bigger than my stomach, because at this point I've got frameworks of three separate decks (Vampire Shiranui, Kozmo, and my IRL Shaddoll deck), and nowhere near enough resources to build any of them. It turns out a lot of staple cards are SR and UR in this game, which makes building even conventionally cheap decks hard.

From what I can tell Shiranuis are solo story-locked, so I can at least shoot for them as a goal. And... if I read the rewards right, there's a Monarch deck that probably doesn't suck as an early reward.
I dont like the monarch deck, its a very old style one, with things that return to hand when tributed or arent destroyed in battle. Incredibly slow. None of the little helpers are in it so you have to rely on card advance and double summon if you want to summon two things in a turn

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

mandatory lesbian posted:

I dont like the monarch deck, its a very old style one, with things that return to hand when tributed or arent destroyed in battle. Incredibly slow. None of the little helpers are in it so you have to rely on card advance and double summon if you want to summon two things in a turn

That's unfortunately a running theme with the solo mode decks. They're either antiquated or built around an idea that does not work in the first place. While they can be a good starting point for some of the themes (Monarchs and Gem-Knights especially), you should absolutely not rely on them in ranked.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

There's some kind of auto-surrender if you don't move your cursor for 30 seconds which is dumb as hell if you need to step away for even that long.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm building Megaliths and Code Talkers, and both of those decks are inexplicably missing a key card, so I'm having to think about what I want the decks to look like.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Finished my HERO deck :toot: This took 42 bucks but I definitely could've gotten it for free if I didn't, uh, craft 3 Nibirus for reasons. Still way cheaper than paper regardless.

Well, another Dark Law and 2 more Droplets and/or Ash is probably "optimal" but for now this is already more than playable and I'm happy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

Finished my HERO deck :toot:

My first complete deck, finished it for free. (I've also got enough card to play pure Shaddolls and mostly-pure Invoked, but that hardly counts.) Probably gonna drop the Dogmatika engine once I craft 3 Effect Veilers and 2 more Ash. After that, I'm thinking... maybe dinos? They've got all their good stuff.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

I've gotten pretty close to building the deck I wanna play (Earth Machines). Unfortunately, a combination of relatively poor luck and shooting for an Invoked package early have bitten me in the rear end and I'm missing SIX URs. Might have to bite the bullet and start losing in ranked just to scrape together enough gems.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RBX posted:

I like War Rock and Zoodiac because their arts looks cool but I see they're kinda trash.

I pulled some good Drytron and UA cards but idk where I want to go with the rest of my pulls.

Zoodiac were a major meta threat at one point and currently Tribrigade Zoodiac are still pretty strong. Not the best Tribrigade build but still solid as a rock.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I’m a total newbie at this but a streamer I watch started up Master Duel the other night and this combo-heavy play style I’m seeing has convinced me to give it a shot.

Her coach (a YGO focused streamer) did also recommend that an archetype called Salamangreat is a good choice for a totally new player because of… something about hand traps? The learning games they were having were Sky Striker (coach) vs Cyber Dragon (learner, who has plenty of experience in other CCGs but nothing recent in this).

Anything else I might want to know?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Think I got baited into trying to complete Drytron and ended up getting nowhere fast with the free gems.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

AweStriker posted:

I’m a total newbie at this but a streamer I watch started up Master Duel the other night and this combo-heavy play style I’m seeing has convinced me to give it a shot.

Her coach (a YGO focused streamer) did also recommend that an archetype called Salamangreat is a good choice for a totally new player because of… something about hand traps? The learning games they were having were Sky Striker (coach) vs Cyber Dragon (learner, who has plenty of experience in other CCGs but nothing recent in this).

Anything else I might want to know?

- Do some research into potentially viable decks that you might wanna play (what they're made of, how they work, etc)

- Be aware that not all available cards are in this game yet. The...4? most recent TCG sets are not included so that very much influences deck building

- The banlist is an unique banlist combining parts of the current OCG list and the list from about 4 months ago

- If you do start playing, prioritize crafting generic staples. You only need to build three of each card and then can reuse them in any decks you make

- Take it slow, improve as you go, and have fun

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So what's the biggest gulf in quality people have seen so far between archetypes in a single secret pack? I think for me right now, the cake is being taken by Kozmo sharing one with Gradius.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

So what's the biggest gulf in quality people have seen so far between archetypes in a single secret pack? I think for me right now, the cake is being taken by Kozmo sharing one with Gradius.

Venom and Reptilianne.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I have no delusions whether it's good or meta or whatever but I made a functional dragonmaid deck and I'm beating people down with my pretty ladies and I'm happy. :yayclod:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

So with my knowledge basically just coming from watching Yugituber duels and playing as a kid, I just got everything and tried out Skystriker and found out I'm really bad at it as I lost to everyone not playing Blue Eyes or one of the starter decks. I almost even lost a Blue Eyes duel as I kept misunderstanding how my cards worked and repeatedly banished and destroyed my own stuff on accident. Not really having any usable extra deck stuff outside of Skystrikers probably doesn't help.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Floodgates Eldlich is a blight

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MegaZeroX posted:

So with my knowledge basically just coming from watching Yugituber duels and playing as a kid, I just got everything and tried out Skystriker and found out I'm really bad at it as I lost to everyone not playing Blue Eyes or one of the starter decks. I almost even lost a Blue Eyes duel as I kept misunderstanding how my cards worked and repeatedly banished and destroyed my own stuff on accident. Not really having any usable extra deck stuff outside of Skystrikers probably doesn't help.

That's a pretty normal Skystrikers experience. The amount of times I went "Haha, yes, I will steal your Blue Eyes for myself with Widow Anch- wait why can I only target my own monster oh right gently caress its effect monsters only." when I was learning the deck was embarassing. That and forgetting their destruction spell can't target face downs. Not that face downs are exactly common in modern Yu-Gi-Oh but it does come up every now and then. Plus sometimes I hit a graveyard with Shark Cannon and it doesn't let me summon the monster for no reason I can understand.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Oof, you're right. It's weird how tangibly better the loaner deck with the Squires and the Mega Monarchs is than the starter deck. That said, at least the starter deck is visibly fixable; you can very easily I.D. the dud cards.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think I’m going to just make another account while the starting gems are still generous. I invested in a mishmash of stuff and my most successful deck is a modified pendulum magicians I found on YouTube

I saw a cool looking invoker shaddoll deck I’m going to shoot for since it includes a lot of universal ultra rares

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DrManiac posted:

I saw a cool looking invoker shaddoll deck I’m going to shoot for since it includes a lot of universal ultra rares
Can confirm that Invoked Shaddolls is a great deck. Shaddolls' boss monsters are very straightforward and completely hose certain decks that don't have outs, and the Invocation engine is simple, robust, and fits in enough decks that "Invoked" is basically an adjective in deckbuilding. ("I'm building Eldlich." "Neat, what kind?" "Invoked.")

The only thing I'd watch out for is to make sure to note the "only one effect, and only once per turn" rider that the main deck Shaddolls have. You don't get a double dip on the effect from dunking two of the same monster into your GY, or from dunking one and flipping one (even if they're the same card).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Vandar: 828-397-071

Follow me and I'll follow back!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just had the stupidest fever dream deck idea.

Danger! Dogman! has the Monarch statline.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Just had the deck builder crash twice in a row on me, lol

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm sure it'll stop working at some point but every time I establish a board state like this, I grin like a loving idiot.

Let's go, ladies. :kimchi:

E: oh so that's what drytron is, I wanna go back to gold now :smith:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 23, 2022

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Vandar posted:

Vandar: 828-397-071

Follow me and I'll follow back!

Done! Hope we can duel someday when I'm finished building.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Who says HEROes aren't good :toot:

I did get a pretty lucky winstreak to the top but considering I had to go second over 10 times in a row the other day I'd say it balances out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Heroes have dark phoenix enforcer and dark law . dont think anyone says theyre bad, just not tier one