Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lozareth posted:

A portal at the crypt entrance lets you repair any pickaxe and anything else while also letting you get fully rested, drop off treasure, restock food/potions, etc. Nothing's going to attack it while you're in the crypt. Just toss your iron in a cart when you need to use the portal and later drag it from crypt to crypt.

Yeah this is exactly what I do. Portal on top, cart out front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Hot drat i have 208 hrs in the game since picking it up in early December. I played a lot of Ark (400hrs according to steam) but got really sick of its bullshit. So far Valheim seems to contain its bullshit pretty well.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Mead is still the only poison resist method available to you when you first start the biome. Because as I said later, if you're at a point where you can reliably farm the mats for the root helm, that means you're fairly decked out and poison won't be an immediate death sentence at that point anyway. You need to find and kill at least two abominations, more if you want to upgrade it. Good luck doing that in bronze armor (unless you're with a group I guess).

You can literally kill them nekkid. Just jump on one of the downed perma trees, and they cannot hit you.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

gently caress. i was playing solo yesterday, exploring far away from my main base and died, i got stuck on geometry and swarmed by growths. i spawned back at a nearby hut i'd built just before, but now theres a massive swamp between my naked rear end and my main base on one side, and plains and more swamp between me and my corpse.

i tried to simply rush to my corpse, but die every time. i dont see a lot of options for easily getting my stuff back. the hut i live in now is in a small patch of meadows surrounded by other poo poo, theres a nearby crypt that i could raid for cores to build a portal, but id have to farm all the way to the point where i can kill skeletons on just this tiny patch of habitable meadows. any suggestions?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Those are the situations where I do endorse server hopping if you have a better equipped character somewhere. You can bring them into that world to retrieve the stuff.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Craft spare gear and extra good for such situations.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Break your bed, die again to return to spawn. I died while tied to a mountain bed. That cabin had no frost mead, food or warm clothing. I couldn't run down the mountain fast enough without dropping dead. I had no hammer. I lured a golem and he leveled the place in a few swings.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 20, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Shibawanko posted:

gently caress. i was playing solo yesterday, exploring far away from my main base and died, i got stuck on geometry and swarmed by growths. i spawned back at a nearby hut i'd built just before, but now theres a massive swamp between my naked rear end and my main base on one side, and plains and more swamp between me and my corpse.

i tried to simply rush to my corpse, but die every time. i dont see a lot of options for easily getting my stuff back. the hut i live in now is in a small patch of meadows surrounded by other poo poo, theres a nearby crypt that i could raid for cores to build a portal, but id have to farm all the way to the point where i can kill skeletons on just this tiny patch of habitable meadows. any suggestions?

look up how to enable the console in start up options on steam, do that and then use flying to get it back. There's a certain point in this game where the time investment to get back what you lost eclipses my willingness to do it, especially if your resources end up being so slim you need to mine for bronze when you're heading to the mountains/plains.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Skeletons are actually pretty easy to kill with just a wood sheild and wood club.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Molybdenum posted:

Break your bed, die again to return to spawn.

Don’t break your bed. If you need to return to spawn, type “/resetspawn” in the chat window.

But if all you’re worried about is skeletons you can craft a club pretty easily.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

look up how to enable the console in start up options on steam, do that and then use flying to get it back. There's a certain point in this game where the time investment to get back what you lost eclipses my willingness to do it, especially if your resources end up being so slim you need to mine for bronze when you're heading to the mountains/plains.

i went with this option and got my stuff back, thanks, it hadn't occurred to me that this game might have cheats

i went in in god mode, was chased by a gang of draugr and skeletons, but as soon as i stopped to pick my stuff up the growths joined in and i got pelted in and out of deep water continuously, meanwhile an abomination spawned nearby and joined in on the fun, so i was being hammered by an abomination, three growths and a bunch of undead all at the same time. i would've never made it out of there, even if i'd had my stuff to begin with. the growths' knockback attack really makes it impossible to fight back in a swamp biome since you keep getting unequipped

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yeah Growths are an enemy that you really need to use mobility against. Strafe (more like sprint sideways but whatever) while they lob a round of bombs , only then close in and smack em with something blunt. The one redeeming thing about them is that I think they're hostile to every other mob in the game, so you can kite stuff into them and distract them that way.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
I have discovered that you can just hold E to feed items into smelters and other things. Please tell me this is a recent addition. :psypop:

I've been mashing the button like an idiot.

Digital Flower fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 20, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think mashing the button is still technically faster if it helps?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Digital Flower posted:

I have discovered that you can just hold E to feed items into smelters and other things. Please tell me this is a recent addition. :psypop:

I've been mashing the button like an idiot.

It seems like they sped it up in hearth and home. It worked but was pretty slow in the original release but it's pretty competitive with spamming the button now

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Losing gear and needing to make gear runs when you die is one reason I haven't really skipped armor tiers (besides bronze because troll is so competitive with it). It gives you at least a serviceable backup even if it isn't ideal. I also definitely made a spare wolf cape or three just for the cold.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Shibawanko posted:

If you are really stuck there is a discord for the Body Recovery Service - free of charge (they will refuse tips or any attempt at payment), they will get your body back no matter what. Middle of the ocean, surrounded by fuelings, they even got someone back who on a whim tried to see what would happen if he spawned 5 Yagluth's at the same time.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

PittTheElder posted:

Oh yeah Growths are an enemy that you really need to use mobility against. Strafe (more like sprint sideways but whatever) while they lob a round of bombs , only then close in and smack em with something blunt. The one redeeming thing about them is that I think they're hostile to every other mob in the game, so you can kite stuff into them and distract them that way.

Yeah one trick to use for clearing crowded goblin villages is to shoot one of them with an arrow, then pull all the aggrod goblins to a tar pit. The growths usually destroy them pretty quick, even berserkers. (Although you may lose some items in the tar.)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

You can drain the tar by digging a hole next to it and a trench leading to the pit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’ve tried that and it seemed to take forever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The draining itself? It's real fast if the tar has a lower level area to flow into.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The best weapon against growths? A lox. Preferably multiple loxi.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Any word/hints on when the Mistlands stuff is coming?

I played the hell out of this game at release and basically burned through all the content, looking forward to generating a new world when things finally get fleshed out more.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Shibawanko posted:

i went with this option and got my stuff back, thanks, it hadn't occurred to me that this game might have cheats

i went in in god mode, was chased by a gang of draugr and skeletons, but as soon as i stopped to pick my stuff up the growths joined in and i got pelted in and out of deep water continuously, meanwhile an abomination spawned nearby and joined in on the fun, so i was being hammered by an abomination, three growths and a bunch of undead all at the same time. i would've never made it out of there, even if i'd had my stuff to begin with. the growths' knockback attack really makes it impossible to fight back in a swamp biome since you keep getting unequipped

Glad I could help.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Ghost mode may actually work better than godmode, as nothing will aggro on you and you're free to leisurely grab your things instead of trying while being slapped around by everything.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Any word/hints on when the Mistlands stuff is coming?

I played the hell out of this game at release and basically burned through all the content, looking forward to generating a new world when things finally get fleshed out more.

Not a peep. Not soon.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
:f5: :f5: :f5:

Man, Factorio with its weekly "here's what we're working on" blog posts spoiled the hell out of me.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kibayasu posted:

You used to need the iron pickaxe for the swamps because the mud needed more damage to break.
Not true. I got into the habit of digging iron piles with bone picks way before H&H. The mud piles used to be such that after the first hit that "activates" the pile, one hit would always break off one chunk. The update changed them so that the pick hits multiple chunks at once, which, eventhough the damage gets divided between the chunks, is a net gain in digging speed.

EDIT: Oh oops, this was three days ago and there was another page. My bad.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 21, 2022

Burns
May 10, 2008

Cowards the lot of you. I will accept nothing less than digging out a peninsula to get back to your corpse boat because you strayed too close to swamp biome at night.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I wish this game had was reasons to actually upgrade your structures to log, and then stone. As things stand, you only really do it for cosmetic reasons. Stone isn't needed even for outer walls since you can just dig a moat and enemies don't know how to traverse those.

Also, regarding the trader, I think one thing that'd be good is if he started selling the metals for the biome you just defeated the boss of. That way, you could just go to him if you find yourself short of those metals, rather than having to tediously mine them again. It would also give you a reason to continue looting and carrying gold coins.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

If your playgroup isn't inspired to flex on plebs by mining out an iron beam and stone castle with wall to wall lox carpeting for its own sake then I don't know how to help you

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
joke is on you, i play solo because i have no friends

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
post fort pics here to flex on the plebs

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't think the game should let you play alone, just zero option for solo play.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Khanstant posted:

I don't think the game should let you play alone, just zero option for solo play.

The grey dorfs are my play friends

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Man I'm real glad you aren't in charge of game design then, cause this is an excellent solo game.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

There's a server I'm on where everyone went nuts building and playing when this first came out and now I'm the only one who really logs on anymore occasionally. It's actually pretty awesome because there are abandoned towns/forts/structures scattered about (including an abandoned starter fort for newbies) but they're all essentially ghost towns. It really adds to the ambiance and I never know when I might stumble on another player's town or fort. It makes the world feel more filled out since it's not all RNG but you still get a haunting, empty vibe.

So playing solo on a abandoned server is something I'd recommend if you like to go it alone.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Hakarne posted:

There's a server I'm on where everyone went nuts building and playing when this first came out and now I'm the only one who really logs on anymore occasionally. It's actually pretty awesome because there are abandoned towns/forts/structures scattered about (including an abandoned starter fort for newbies) but they're all essentially ghost towns. It really adds to the ambiance and I never know when I might stumble on another player's town or fort. It makes the world feel more filled out since it's not all RNG but you still get a haunting, empty vibe.

So playing solo on a abandoned server is something I'd recommend if you like to go it alone.

They should create a system where you can upload your world file for other people to play like this.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hakarne posted:

I'm in a similar situation, except I'm by far the most interested in the building side of the game. We ended up building bases in most biomes with a nice safe meadows home base. Its a shame the group's interest tapered off because I got a little carried away with the second big base and it wasn't ready before everyone else stopped playing.

bgreman posted:

They should create a system where you can upload your world file for other people to play like this.

The guy that runs the server for our group saved and transferred me our old world when we started a new H&H world so I could keep all the stuff I built in the old one. The file was several gigs though so that might be prohibitive for general use. That said if someone had a really awesome setup I'd be tempted to download it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

My crazy dream is a way to take a world file and "age" it - weather all the structures and stuff, change up some landmarks - and play as the next generation of vikings. Stumble on your old bases, broken down with holes in the roof and poo poo. Cuz yeah, our server has been going through several cycles of players and it's so drat cool to stumble on someone's little settlement that they've long since abandoned. And such a relief when you need a place to fix your gear and cook some food.