Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Please add to OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Right, but outside of first time playing with no guidance or reading the tips in the rulebook, that shouldn’t happen. I’d argue the same could be said of any number of euro games where there are obvious good and bad first turns. This only became a talking point with Splotter because their games are very sink or swim in a way MWEs are not. You can take terrible first turns in Agricola, Concordia, T&E, etc, that could also cost you the game. You can bid all your meeples of a color on a spring tile in Keyflower turn 1. It’s not a smart move, but you can do it.

I was responding to your assertion that it wasn't their ethos to have game-determining decisions on turn one, which was followed by your quoting their statement that explicitly contradicts your assertion. I'm not passing judgment on their ethos, and believe Splotter makes great games. Their games are not very forgiving, and part of what makes them good, but that's definitely intentional.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

Please add to OP

I was legitimately considering adding specific mention of The Good Doctor K to the OP. But now I must reveal my deep dark secret goony shame: I've honestly only played a few of this games: High Society (love it), Lost Cities (only online, love it) Through the Desert, Colossal Arena, and Age of War (only once each, pre-pandemic, liked TtD, the others were medium). I am moderately familiar with a few others like Modern Art, Yellow & Yangtze and Circus Flohcati through general osmosis. With Tigris & Euphrates in alpha on BGA, I was thinking of trying it, but it truly never sounded like it was my speed and I think my game group would bounce off it.

Also, if I mention him then I probably should mention a few others and the OP would be as long as the list of games Reiner Knizia designed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

homullus posted:

I was responding to your assertion that it wasn't their ethos to have game-determining decisions on turn one, which was followed by your quoting their statement that explicitly contradicts your assertion. I'm not passing judgment on their ethos, and believe Splotter makes great games. Their games are not very forgiving, and part of what makes them good, but that's definitely intentional.

Change “determining” to “influencing” and you’re correct. I don’t think “the first turn matters” is the same as “the first turn is *all* that matters” as some of this talk implies. “Game determining” is loaded language that is absolutely not accurate to the statement or the games. Yes, there are important decisions on turn one, but they do not supersede the rest of the game and make it all just a long resolution of those initial choices. You can lose the game by making a bad error at any point in the game, but that is harder to do in round one than any other time in the game barring a new player just trying things at random.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 20, 2022

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I still need to really play my copy of Radlands. The production value doesn’t disappoint though. They use the same PVC cards as Too Many Bones.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Radlands is very high in my To Play pile, but every time I have a game day it's for 4+ players :negative:

Got shipping notification for Great Western Trail 2nd Edition, which has finally hit Australia. Must have been stuck on the Ever Given, as I ordered it nearly 6 months ago.
Glad it has a single player module cause :laffo:

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Just picked up and punched my copy of GWT this arvo, also in Australia. Can't wait to get it to the table but I'll be lucky to get more than a 2p game in at the moment so I'm low-key jealous of you complaining you regularly get 4.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm just glad I'm getting to play it on bga in alpha. It's a really good implementation, with proper undo, and feels like the right kind of game to play async (other player turns are impactful but you can gauge how they affect you pretty easily, your turns are chunky, doesn't take a millennia if people are pushing trains deliveries).

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Hopefully that's good news for copies getting to Canada, I ordered mine in the middle of November and it's been sitting in pre-ordered status ever since.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Is Hyperborea out of print? Talk a bit ago has me interested but there only seems to be a single copy on Amazon and Miniature Market doesn't even have a page for it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Right, but outside of first time playing with no guidance or reading the tips in the rulebook, that shouldn’t happen. I’d argue the same could be said of any number of euro games where there are obvious good and bad first turns. This only became a talking point with Splotter because their games are very sink or swim in a way MWEs are not. You can take terrible first turns in Agricola, Concordia, T&E, etc, that could also cost you the game. You can bid all your meeples of a color on a spring tile in Keyflower turn 1. It’s not a smart move, but you can do it.

I think I would argue the big difference there is that doing that in Keyflower, if you know the rules, is obviously a bad thing to do. In FCM it's not immediately obvious just from know the rules that what you did was terminal for your game.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

SettingSun posted:

Is Hyperborea out of print? Talk a bit ago has me interested but there only seems to be a single copy on Amazon and Miniature Market doesn't even have a page for it.

I remember Hyperborea being on clearance for a while, so there’s a good chance they’ve finally moved all their stock. Thats just supposition on my part, but it looks like there’s plenty of like new copies still on the geek for like $20-$30 each.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Infinitum posted:

Radlands is very high in my To Play pile, but every time I have a game day it's for 4+ players :negative:

When this happens to me and I have an incompatible game I want to play, I just suggest playing two games with a split group to start the night. Usually people are cool with it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Jedit and other fans of Feast for Odin: are you guys privy to the rumours floating around that the Dane's expansion is going to be a stand-alone? The designer posted a vaguely confusing thing the other day and I'm trying to understand if it's a language barrier or not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FulsomFrank posted:

Jedit and other fans of Feast for Odin: are you guys privy to the rumours floating around that the Dane's expansion is going to be a stand-alone? The designer posted a vaguely confusing thing the other day and I'm trying to understand if it's a language barrier or not.

I haven't read that yet. Got a link?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Radlands is a gorgeous, shallow pool. A lot depends on who draws the cards they need from the shared deck.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Everything I've seen from the designer has been that Danes will be standalone with new home boards, action boards, occupation cards, etc.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

the holy poopacy posted:

Everything I've seen from the designer has been that Danes will be standalone with new home boards, action boards, occupation cards, etc.
As someone who recently went all in on AFfO... poo poo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My understanding previously was that Danes was going to be a module type expansion (ie you would have to remove all Norwegians content)

You'd end up with AFfO+Norwegians and AFfO+Danes as 2 seperate ways to play

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Just picked up and punched my copy of GWT this arvo, also in Australia. Can't wait to get it to the table but I'll be lucky to get more than a 2p game in at the moment so I'm low-key jealous of you complaining you regularly get 4.

The flipside to this is that it becomes a pain in the arse juggling a large player group and balancing who to invite for the day.

Hilariously I've planned 4 seperate Twilight Imperium days with a full 6 players, only for covid to force cancellations on every single one.

When my copy of Western Empires arrives I'll probably cause Australia to explode if I get a 9 player game organised :v:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
This is a week or so old but I assume nothing has changed radically since then:

Gernot Köpke posted:

Standalone means standalone. What else should it be. Nothing more needed to play Danes than Danes. Its construction with ~200 new cards and 13 new Kaupang set and 19 Kaupang buildings and so on is optimated for Danes. The hugh impact of new things will last for long time having new experiences.

However, the modular idea is, that you can also use components of all other stuff. You can for example add any island from basic/Norwegian and mini-expansions or use harvest mini-expansion. The work for making Danes is still in working process. So I can not answer all questions about what will happen exactly. The question of making extra tiles for harvest isn't already asked for example to Frank (but in the pipeline). For the 8 round game it would be helpful to make two more harvest tiles: No harvest and hemp harvest (just an 1x5 orange tile). Frank might decide, that having stuff partly is a bad thing. Than it would be the question to print also all old harvest tiles again too or nothing (hugh stuff anyway). With less priority this is the same with 2 more ressource marker (1 axe +get 1 surrounding stripe ressource (backside)// take an occupation +get a d7-hunting joker=> pay 3 stuff instead of throwing a dice). But this can also be part of a later big box instead for example too. You can generally use the renewed homeboard also Norwegian or basic game as well as the special surroundinds stripes for first (+prelast?) + last round or the turn order shed or the extra meeple of different colour or the 5 player copy board or the renewed standard buildings or hunting joker or...

In Danes you can also use standard islands or artisan sheds (they are than doubled so also back and frontside are useable at the same time) or the hunting joker or ...
About the occupations many things still need to get decided, but generally Danes occus have some renewed old occus but 200 new is far enough. Crossovers are here difficult but not impossible. Again a recommendations list might be a solution, even if I am not sure this will be needed before having played Danes a hundred times or so. Its a hugh universe of cards for itself at all and all is optimized and mainly tested inside Danes. And mixing might have to much confusion for many players. Some cards are banned naturally, because of their lost function (4v actions for example doesn't exist anymore, but one might argue to still leave it, because adding a meeple to a 3v actions is possible for playing a card). Franks idea for a solution looks like adding about 20 cards from basic to Danes again for less chaos and same card quality/backside colour of no nuances, that will happen on reprintings (new printing firm for cards).

And last but not least there will be many options for houserules. I see for example a possibility, that it will work too, if you use the new ships/ship transport system of tiles for the islands in basic/Norwegian too: Whalingboat/Skúta for 1V- islands (2/5 spaces of orange tiles placing on island by leaving ship there till end (vp of ship will count). Knarr/Nef (6/9 spaces) for 2v-islands and longship (4 spaces) for 3v-islands. But I didn't test it. Also one or another starting card [~30 new) or standard occupation (~60 new) might fit well to basic/Norwegian too. But this is also yet untested and the backside difference/new card versus used card optic can't get solved. So it looks more like leaving this a houserule-decission or maybe making a list of at my point of view riskless/low-risk recommandations or so.

However, things are here in a flow and I can't say here more helpful before things are discussed/decided. All is more or less modular made and we speak at least just about details that might be interesting only for deep fans of the game, not the masses. So the question is how much should all get irritated by to much infos in rules for those deeper fans. As you might know, I will do my very best here and fight for any extra external :)

I have seen similar stuff from Gernot along these lines elsewhere, too.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Danes is firmly in "I'll believe it when I see it" territory.

I swear I read that a prototype was ready for Gencon 2019/2020, and art was being produced.

gently caress knows at this point.

Luckily AFfO+Norwegians is so good it doesn't really matter if there's a delay

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

Danes is firmly in "I'll believe it when I see it" territory.

I swear I read that a prototype was ready for Gencon 2019/2020, and art was being produced.

gently caress knows at this point.

Luckily AFfO+Norwegians is so good it doesn't really matter if there's a delay

That's where I've been at since it was announced. Should have everything and the legendary box by ohhh... about 2030 or so.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I've been fielding trade requests for my NIS AFFO since rumors of a complete edition started, but I only local trade/sell stuff that doesn't fit in a flat rate box

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Fate Accomplice posted:

I've been fielding trade requests for my NIS AFFO since rumors of a complete edition started, but I only local trade/sell stuff that doesn't fit in a flat rate box

You gotta go with my friend's plan, play a game at a game night then when people show interest in buying it, pull out the NIS copy from the cupboard like a street dealer in a trenchcoat.

I bought several games because of this method.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Back Alley Borks posted:

You gotta go with my friend's plan, play a game at a game night then when people show interest in buying it, pull out the NIS copy from the cupboard like a street dealer in a trenchcoat.

I bought several games because of this method.

I would happily repurpose the trench coat in my closet for shady board games dealing but I'm also too covid-wary to play games indoors with >2 other people these days.

I've bought non-KS board games exactly once in the last ~18 months, to fill out my marvel champions collection after buying someone else's collection. Other than that all my games have come/gone through the BGG monthly math trade or donations to the local library.

now that KS "season" has come back I find myself hesitant to back more stuff, taking a hard look at "am I going to realistically be able to play this in the 1-2 years after it delivers?"

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Fate Accomplice posted:

If you’re in the US be sure to use PirateShip to get the cheapest shipping rates as well.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

After wrangling with myself/eyes bigger than stomach/FOMO/analysis paralysis, I finally settled on Spirit Island as the next game to get for the Flag household. (Yes, we're behind the times; the next-place competitor was Castles of Burgundy.)

I tried a solo two-spirit game to learn it before it hit the table with my wife.

It's been a while since I've been so thoroughly impressed. I can't wait to play it again. I'm tempted to blow off plans I have either tomorrow or Sunday to play it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The game itself is fun, but I’m an incredibly big fan of the theming behind it. The spirits really capture that animism-style eldritch god vibe. Lovecraft but without the racism.

As for AFfO, I’ve got the base set—the expansion(s?) are pretty much impossible to get. FCM was easier to get than The Norwegians.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I received a foam core insert for Christmas and want to check what glue I use to hold it together? Does regular craft glue work?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Maigius posted:

I received a foam core insert for Christmas and want to check what glue I use to hold it together? Does regular craft glue work?

Express wood glue is what Folded Space recommend.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Opinion on Final Girl ?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I have not played it, but after seeing the Watch It Played I was pretty hyped and was considering it as my first solo game purchase, even as a non-slasher fan. But the publisher Van Ryder Games is doing NFT bullshit so they are off my purchasing list.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
So it looks like the Spirit Island promo bundle may be coming sooner rather than later. https://www.miniaturemarket.com/gtgsisl-ftfl.html

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mechanically it's very RNG-heavy, but the strategy is built around mitigating RNG. My first game I got crushed by the worst setup possible - it was impossible to win even from before turn 1. My second game I got a lucky combination of layout, starting event and items and I romped to an easy win. I would say that most of the time it will fall between those two extremes, making it tough and unforgiving but still a challenge rather than a ballache. The Feature Films have a lot of imagination in how they use the mechanics and being able to mix and match killers and locations makes for a lot of variety, and production values are high.

I'm very much on the fence as to whether to back S2, though, for the reasons Magnetic North states. The NFTs don't actually concern me too much as VRG at least give them value beyond "ownership" of a JPG, treating them more like ridiculously overcomplicated raffle tickets with owner-only giveaways. However, the reason they started doing them is because AJ Porfirio is a crypto bro on the Ethereum train. There are only two kinds of people in crypto: the scammers and the bagmen. If he's a scammer I don't want him to have my money; if he's a bagman, I can't trust him with my money. So far it seems that the ETH trading is kept separate from the company funds, but we all know how that goes - "I'm just borrowing it, I'll put back twice as much".

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

KongGeorgeVII posted:

So it looks like the Spirit Island promo bundle may be coming sooner rather than later. https://www.miniaturemarket.com/gtgsisl-ftfl.html

Darn. Wish I was aware of this before I ordered the original promo spirits a few months ago. What else does it come with? Some more fear cards, a scenario or two, and even more aspects for the original spirits? Are the two newer spirits compatible with the base game or so they rely on new tokens/events that sort of thing?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

They're technically compatible, but I wouldn't play Finder/Downpour without JE. They both use Isolation and Finder in particular wants the new generic powers JE provides.

You get everything you mentioned + a new adversary, Scotland.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Did a first round of Return to Dark Tower. Kind of a mix between a much lighter Mage Knight and Pandemic.

The giant mechanical tower makes for a pretty striking look, but it doesn't really do much in terms of game mechanics. The app is fine, and thankfully feels like it's mostly "automating board game stuff" rather than "hiding core mechanics under opaque nonsense".

I think between trying different heroes/treasures/companions, and going against different monsters/adversaries we (me and the kids) will get reasonable value out of it - but I don't know that it's a great fit for the thread's normal preferences. And I imagine it'll be expensive to grab.

Still, it's pretty light rules wise, looks really cool, and has some "fun stuff to try" - so if you don't mind spending a couple hours on a light game it's worth trying if you get a chance.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I still laugh that the new $250 tower does less than the 80s game’s Tower and they moved a lot of that to the app. It’s like every bad trait of modern KS board gaming in one.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is the game playable without the tower?

IE in the case that the tower breaks, or in a few years time when the app is no longer supported/developed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Eraflure posted:

They're technically compatible, but I wouldn't play Finder/Downpour without JE. They both use Isolation and Finder in particular wants the new generic powers JE provides.

You get everything you mentioned + a new adversary, Scotland.

Honestly I think they both work fine without Jagged Earth. Yes, Finder works well with isolate cards, but ultimately he's a powerful spirit that works well with base game cards. Finder just wants cards that move invaders, and Downpour wants strong low cost cards he can repeat (preferably with water). Both can be found in abundance in the base game power decks.