Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So what makes you think those were deaths from H1N1 compared to just normal flu deaths then?

quote:

The high mortality in healthy people, including those in the 20-40 year age group, was a unique feature of this pandemic.

Previous and post flus weren't killing otherwise healthy young people, as a rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
The taste sets them apart

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

heavy liquid posted:

After the interviewer replied “Oh, God. We’re being controlled by everybody,” the singer responded ominously: “Yeah, I know. But not me. If I die, I die, but I’m not going to be controlled.”

I love Meat Loaf, but you can't take him too seriously. I mean he once was getting injections of his own pee.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

I love Meat Loaf, but you can't take him too seriously. I mean he once was getting injections of his own pee.

lol link please

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Gynovore posted:

He sounds like a piece of poo poo chud, actually:

quote:

He donated to the presidential campaigns of Republican candidates Rick Santorum and John McCain, the latter of whom became the party's nominee in the 2008 presidential election.[134]

On October 25, 2012, Meat Loaf endorsed Mitt Romney for president, citing poor relations with Russia as a major reason he had been "arguing for Mitt Romney for a year".[135] He said, "I have never been in any political agenda in my life, but I think that in 2012 this is the most important election in the history of the United States." He then said there are "storm clouds" over the United States and "thunder storms" over Europe: "There are hail storms – and I mean major hail storms! – in the Middle East. There are storms brewing through China, through Asia, through everywhere."[135] The same day, he performed "America the Beautiful" standing next to Romney.[136][137]

In a 2017 interview with Billboard, he said positive things about Donald Trump, Ivanka and Donald Jr. (they had worked together on The Celebrity Apprentice in 2011).[138]

In an interview with the Daily Mail in 2021, he called Greta Thunberg "brainwashed" due to her views on climate change.[139]

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 21, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I love Meat Loaf, but you can't take him too seriously. I mean he once ate his own poo poo because there were no vegetarian options on the menu.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
One less chud is a good thing.

RIP Meatloaf.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Weird. It's almost as if we have no idea what the short and long term consequences of infection with this novel virus are, and letting 'er rip is a short-sighted strategy based on nothing more than hope and exhaustion.

I'm sure the opposite is true though.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I mean, he did die being controlled (by the ventilator)

And by the disease.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Covid regulations coming down in the UK and in Éire so i'm not looking forward to the next few months here in Northern Ireland, things are going to get messier. :ohdear:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

When your behavior has regressed back to that of pouty defiant toddler, you're probably ready to move on to the next life anyway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

Previous and post flus weren't killing otherwise healthy young people, as a rule.

Flu absolutely *does* kill the young and healthy, and like I say it's impossible to look at say a 30-year-old who died in 1921 of flu and say "Ah, another victim of H1N1" with any actual authority.

Certainly by 1921 the demographic spread of flu deaths was pretty much the same as it was pre-pandemic, so it's really impossible to say that the death certificate you've seen is someone who was unfortunate enough to have died as a result of still-circulating H1N1, someone who had an another condition making them much more vulnerable (the 1920s still had endemic TB, typhoid, Scarlet Fever, Yellow Fever, and a dozen other diseases that could weaken you enough that even a mild flu would deliver the coup de grace, as well as widespread malnutrition and poor hygiene even in the developed world), or just a perfectly healthy person whose spin on the wheel came up double zero.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Oracle posted:

Previous flus (and current flus) absolutely kill young healthy people. They just don’t do it at rates high enough for anyone with any power to give a poo poo.

E: Or people in general. Get your seasonal flu shots.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 21, 2022

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

did anyone post this yet

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/20/europe/czech-singer-death-deliberate-covid-infection-intl/index.html

CNN posted:

CNN) A Czech folk singer who was opposed to having a coronavirus vaccine has died after deliberately contracting the virus, according to her son.

Hana Horká, of the folk band Asonance, died Sunday at the age of 57 after intentionally exposing herself to the virus at home while her son and husband were sick, according to CNN affiliate CNN Prima News.

Horká wanted to infect herself so she could be "done with Covid," her son, Jan Rek, told Prima News on Monday.

"My mom wanted to get sick so she gets the Covid pass," Rek said. "She said to me and even publicly she wants to get infected so she is done with Covid."

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

More fun spicy work tales

A patient who tested positive for covid informed us that they didn't believe in all that stuff and were ready to leave. We still had to give them a letter to document that yes, they tested positive and yes, they were told to quarantine. God only knows what dumb rear end in a top hat stuff they plan to do with their weekend.

Incidentally the coworker who was handling that patient (and took the nasal swab samples) was not wearing their face shield and had double surgical masks instead of one of the many KN95s we have been provided. So that's a big fun write-up for them. There is no force on this plane of existence that would allow me to forget my face shield when doing a nasopharyngeal swab on a patient. It makes so many of them sneeze.

A handful of my patients are very hard of hearing. I put on my KN95 and my face shield and crank the air filter to max while I stand right next to them and scream in their one good ear. It mostly works.

Lastly, a separate coworker was one of the 50% in my direct department who caught covid. Apparently they had not been wearing their face shield for patient visits either! And when a provider admonished them for it, they said it was ok because they're vaxxed.

I am so tired of the buffoonery :negative:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

coronatae posted:

And when a provider admonished them for it, they said it was ok because they're vaxxed.

this is the biggest misstep in all of the coronavirus messaging. the vaccine makes you less likely to die. it ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT prevent you from getting it and spreading it. the bare loving minimum the cdc recommended should have been, "if you're vaccinated, you MUST wear a mask at all times and attempt to isolate anyway."

i'd say something sarcastic about i'm sure all these people who had omicron won't have long covid, but you can't even do that anymore because people seriously believe there will be no long term consequences of this. back to work! sacrifice your flesh, your bones, your children, to economy

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Fur20 posted:

this is the biggest misstep in all of the coronavirus messaging. the vaccine makes you less likely to die. it ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT prevent you from getting it and spreading it. the bare loving minimum the cdc recommended should have been, "if you're vaccinated, you MUST wear a mask at all times and attempt to isolate anyway."

i'd say something sarcastic about i'm sure all these people who had omicron won't have long covid, but you can't even do that anymore because people seriously believe there will be no long term consequences of this. back to work! sacrifice your flesh, your bones, your children, to economy

Reminding people the vaccines primary goal is to prevent serious illness and death, not to prevent catching it at all, ain’t much but it’s honest work.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

She found the only way to be done with COVID, I guess…

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Fur20 posted:

I thought there was a recent study that found even with omicron, vaccinated people typically spread less?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Vaccines protect against infection too, it's just obviously not 100%.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

brugroffil posted:

I thought there was a recent study that found even with omicron, vaccinated people typically spread less?

who gives a poo poo? is your spread >0? guess the gently caress what buddy you're a spreader. a virus isn't something you can half measure. it's just a kind of machine. if you want to win, your methods have to be equally as mechanical and methodical.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's not a binary state. Secondary attack rates in households with vaccinated infected people are lower.

I'm not gonna disagree that the vaccines-only, abandon-all-npi's approach wasn't predictably disastrous. But downplaying the actual efficacy of the vaccines against both infection and retransmission isn't necessarily helpful, either.

e: I give a poo poo personally because I live with two small unvaccinated people whom me and my vaccinated wife avoided infecting dispite still needing to perform childcare duties. I'm glad the vaccines likely prevented my wife from spreading the virus to my 2 year old as she put him to bed about 30 minutes ahead of losing her smell and testing positive!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

heavy liquid posted:

So Meat Loaf seems to have died from Covid.
i would do anything for life, but i won't do vax.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

brugroffil posted:

They do, but they still *can* spread, in the same way some (perhaps many) people who aren't vaccinated never spread it to another person, because it's all probabilities, not certainties.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

brugroffil posted:

It's not a binary state. Secondary attack rates in households with vaccinated infected people are lower.

I'm not gonna disagree that the vaccines-only, abandon-all-npi's approach wasn't predictably disastrous. But downplaying the actual efficacy of the vaccines against both infection and retransmission isn't necessarily helpful, either.

in a perfect world, where everyone is logical and nobody is an rear end in a top hat, this perspective works.

but as we've seen throughout this entire ongoing pandemic, you give people an inch and they take a god damned mile. you CAN'T tell a person "it greatly increases your survivability" because they immediately interpret that as "i'm good. we're good. everything is perfect."

think about it as :xcom:, except applied to literally the entire human race because that's the scale at which people are currently affected. when you miss a 95% chance to hit, it gets under your skin because you assume that you'll never touch the 5% margin. when the chance is 80%, or even above 70%, you'll still assume it'll take. our brains tend to filter out even a very well-communicated failure rate, or interpret ourselves as an exceptional case that could never fall into that group because that's how humans ARE.

the virus doesn't think. it just does. it just is, like the math programmed into a video game. and as long as people think they're gonna make that 95% shot, they're going to take all the risks until they get hit, and everyone around them suffers the consequences at all times.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ghostlight posted:

:lol:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Fur20 posted:

this is the biggest misstep in all of the coronavirus messaging. the vaccine makes you less likely to die. it ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT prevent you from getting it and spreading it.
It did extremely well at both before delta.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Scarodactyl posted:

It did extremely well at both before delta.

huh i didn't know that, and it's true!

the vaccine wasn't available to most people here until after delta, let's call it launched :v:, so i've always kind of considered it "a thing that happened after delta." but in reality it was out in like december or january, wasn't it? anyway tldr if you ever wanted to see absolutely everyone do absolutely everything wrong, well, we've arrived

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The Modern Leper posted:

C) I think most people have assumed in good faith that "covering your mouth and nose" is the key factor for an appropriate mask. A good fitting mask has been the message; strong messages around things like testing seals, etc. have been a lot more niche or detailed than what most people are observing. From that perspective, these "face shields" seem like a great (even courteous) choice.

Science shifts--while you can always be ahead of the curve by being the most cautious, it generally isn't a good idea to be too smug about today's science because tomorrow's science will laugh at it.

People using these face shields aren't acting in good faith because they don't cover anything. They're performatively wearing a bad mask to emphasize their chudness.

Waiting on the scientific paper saying dinky plastic fog shields are better than masks. I'm sure it will be here any day now.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sir John Falstaff posted:

He sounds like a piece of poo poo chud, actually:

Dang that sucks. I had heard that he was a cool dude in person.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Verdugo posted:

People using these face shields aren't acting in good faith because they don't cover anything. They're performatively wearing a bad mask to emphasize their chudness.

Waiting on the scientific paper saying dinky plastic fog shields are better than masks. I'm sure it will be here any day now.

Less the "welder mask" shields. We were talking about hard plastic surgical mask style things, which may actually cradle the chin.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Tagra posted:

My friend got an anti-fog spray and she said she only has to reapply it every second day or so. I might have to try one...

I have a muc-off spray designed for skiing/biking goggles and visors and it works pretty good on glasses, maybe 3 or 4 days between application.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cynic posted:

I have a muc-off spray designed for skiing/biking goggles and visors and it works pretty good on glasses, maybe 3 or 4 days between application.

Be aware that some sprays designed for visors/goggles use solvents that may attack some coatings on prescription lenses. Zeiss do an anti-fog spray specifically designed for coated prescription lenses that isn't actually any more expensive than the other stuff - you can get it from most opticians. It lasts for a good few days but like all anti-fog treatments it leaves a slightly tacky residue which attracts dust, pollutants, etc from miles away, and of course cleaning them removes the treatment.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

please lord new thread title

The "its ok I'm vaxxed" coworker got it from some kind of family gathering involving Floridians and then infected our other cowoker because they were both being sloppy about proper mask usage during their one-on-ones. It followed the 2-day onset model quite beautifully

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

coronatae posted:

please lord new thread title

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We're at the "taking out legal injunctions to stop healthcare staff from accepting better offers elsewhere" stage of the pandemic
https://twitter.com/madeline_heim/status/1484313582397390848

quote:

A statement from an Ascension Wisconsin spokesperson said:

"Workforce shortages are one of the many stresses healthcare systems have faced during this pandemic. Many healthcare systems, including Ascension Wisconsin, continue to actively recruit healthcare workers. Contrary to the allegations in the ThedaCare lawsuit, Ascension Wisconsin did not initiate the recruitment of the ThedaCare employees. Rather, the employees applied for open job postings. To the extent such individuals met the job qualifications, Ascension Wisconsin made offers of employment to the individuals who applied as a part of Ascension Wisconsin’s routine process of hiring qualified associates at a fair and just wage. It is Ascension Wisconsin’s understanding that ThedaCare had an opportunity but declined to make competitive counter offers to retain its former employees.

thathonkey posted:

do face shields actually do anything if youre not wearing a good mask underneath (or even if you are)

Here in Australia they updated the rules to say that masks need to be close-fitting and cover the mouth and nose, and face shields by themselves aren't sufficient. Bandanas/gaiters also aren't considered 'close fitting'

Edit: someone posted a study the other day which showed that face shields offer a certain amount of protection if someone sneezes or coughs on you from the front but if someone standing behind you coughs or sneezes then the shield can capture a lot of the droplets and trap them in front of your face, which is pretty obvious when you think about it.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 22, 2022

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I know this is going to sound crazy but isn’t one of the things you are at least theoretically supposed to do in a capitalist society is pay your employees what they are worth?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No, employees are for working only, no pay. It took decidedly uncapitalist movements just to make company towns unfavored and reasonable work hours a thing.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm pretty sure in a capitalist society you're supposed to get as much work out of your employees with getting away with the least amount you can pay them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xenocides posted:

I know this is going to sound crazy but isn’t one of the things you are at least theoretically supposed to do in a capitalist society is pay your employees what they are worth?

It also makes good capitalistic sense to give your workers adequate medical coverage so they're healthy enough to work but uhhhh