Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

oh right i forgot about the generic zone loot lockout.. can still xp in peace at least, might be good for people who have good aoe routes, they can just do a pull, zone out to med up, make a new one when full mana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Indecisive posted:

oh right i forgot about the generic zone loot lockout.. can still xp in peace at least, might be good for people who have good aoe routes, they can just do a pull, zone out to med up, make a new one when full mana

Last I checked they nerfed XP in instance zones. You could full clear say Sol B, and if your on server in a race for first 50s / 60s this would be a way to get mobs if the picks are all camped. But I am not sure how great this would be.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

As far as I know that nerf was never implemented, or it was rolled back very shortly afterward. At least the xp in Sebilis, Velks and Griegs instances has felt on par with open world as of a year ago. I have spent a lot of time just two boxing a full DZ like a bootleg WoW instance for xp and loot.

Spamming DZs to do AE pulls is a really funny idea. I bet there will be bugs to dodge loot lockouts to make it really effective and then probably get xp gain in instances properly nerfed.

Anyway feels like new TLP announcement time soon. Pretty interested to see what they try and pitch to get people excited after giving away so much with Mischief. Expecting a straight Mishief clone or a pair of Phinny clone free trade servers for boxing and truebox. I need a multi year break from this game to forget how dull early era EQ is to me, so whatever it is I'll probably pass

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i'm hoping for the non-cowards version of mischief where every mob can drop any item and rares/bosses drop like 10

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

They can just add poo poo like mana stones, or impossible to get GM event items, as global ultra rare drops and people would lose their loving minds massacring every last monster.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
As a lazy, mostly anti-social casual, I'd love to see a progression server with sleeper/combine xp rates. I've tried out a few of the later progression servers, but needing to group up from the early levels is a pain in the rear end and the glacial pace of solo xp killed my will to play beyond the newbie yard.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Solarin posted:

As far as I know that nerf was never implemented, or it was rolled back very shortly afterward. At least the xp in Sebilis, Velks and Griegs instances has felt on par with open world as of a year ago. I have spent a lot of time just two boxing a full DZ like a bootleg WoW instance for xp and loot.

Spamming DZs to do AE pulls is a really funny idea. I bet there will be bugs to dodge loot lockouts to make it really effective and then probably get xp gain in instances properly nerfed.

Anyway feels like new TLP announcement time soon. Pretty interested to see what they try and pitch to get people excited after giving away so much with Mischief. Expecting a straight Mishief clone or a pair of Phinny clone free trade servers for boxing and truebox. I need a multi year break from this game to forget how dull early era EQ is to me, so whatever it is I'll probably pass

I could easily see rotating the person who opened the DZ to someone new to the team so he gets all the drops and keep swapping person 6 out for the loot cool down. This would work well with zones like sol b as you get full royals, bugs, and others if your group can handle it.

The one not locked may have to be the looter but that's not hard.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Aradune had a lot of dz, instance instability issues at the end of vrlious and in Luclin. I could see the norm of lots of dzs, particularly with some groups, producing lots of server-wide issues.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've started playing again on an older TLP - not enountered a single toxic player in 2 weeks. I get the impression the trash all went to Mischief - along with some normal people.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I haven’t played since luclin mangler but I’m feeling the itch. No replay timers is very cool to me. If they announced new servers id probably end up rolling a monk shaman bard team again.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Baconroll posted:

I've started playing again on an older TLP - not enountered a single toxic player in 2 weeks. I get the impression the trash all went to Mischief - along with some normal people.
Everyone on mischief has been really great to me, just hit 65 on my 2nd character. Not sure if it's just guild drama you may have heard about or what

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

I haven’t played since luclin mangler but I’m feeling the itch. No replay timers is very cool to me. If they announced new servers id probably end up rolling a monk shaman bard team again.

I thought monk was kind of overhyped until I boxed one with my shaman from LDoN to Omens. They get a stupid amount of power and utility in that time. Speed focus/destructive force together is absurdly strong, the 2.0 ratio is nuts, imitate death is great and the stun/snare kick AAs are super useful for a small group.

Just a matter of time before I add a bard box because they are just way too strong.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
i did a monk/bard box on aradune through PoP and it's overpowered as poo poo, bards have insane synergy with monk as a 2 box.

shaggy--
Nov 9, 2000
Hillary Clinton loves a winner!
I started playing again on Luclin. I'm in some Goon guiled named "Guild For Gild Port Guild" and the MOTD says to look for Fearboner. Is anyone that still posts here the owner of this guild? I'd be interested in taking it over to maintain it for myself.

Also, I've learned about a LOT of new features on Live since the last time I played on phinigel. Things returning players should be aware of if you haven't played on a Live server in a while:

The /barter command. It's like a reverse bazar; someone may be interested in buying items that you were just gonna toss while dungeon crawling. it takes the item out of your inventory and gives you the plat they're offering. Don't have to leave your grind to do this.

The /bazar command can be used from anywhere. They'll parcel the items to you for a 10% surcharge.

If you have an old account check your "Special" AA tab for all kinds of fun features like daily summons for a vendor and some other fun stuff. You may also have free mounts in the /claim box.

Between https://everquest.allakhazam.com/ and https://eq.magelo.com/ you should be able to figure out the location of any mob or the details of any quest that's not new. Not a lot of new info here; but the stuff that is still there is still pretty accurate.

Use a tank merc until 70; there isn't any reason not to.

Defiant gear is great; don't worry about filling up a full set each time you can use a new tier of it. At low levels your merc is gonna zoom you through the levels anyways. For non-visible or jewelry slots there are some item vendors right by the Crescent Reach stone in PoK that will sell you great gear for your level range.

You can summon your body for free in the guild lobby, and if you have a cleric merc that's high enough they'll 96% res you.

Talk with random people in /general about where you used to play, and what experiences you've had. Overall the commnity on Luclin is pretty friendly. On my first two days I was randomly given about 120k plat, a dozen level 80 items from HoT (the guys bank was full) and other miscelaneous stuff.

The playerbase of EQ seems much older than other games; people are much more chill.

Check out the Auto-Grant AA option in the AA window. I'm level 82 now and have 3852 AA; all free.

Ask questions in /general - again people are very open to answering questions and even hleping out.

You can get so much inventory space now it's hard to find stuff. /finditem will let you search your inventory and bank for a specific item.

On the map there's a Zone Guide button. It'll give you level ranges of any zone in the game, as well as connected zones-even those that use portals or translocators instead of zone lines. You can also choose a start and end zone and tell it to path the 'best' way there - results may vary but it's generally pretty good.

Don't forget the gnome in the guild hall that will teleport you to different places; some very convenient (like Plane of Hate.) Buy the right stone and hand it back in to him.

All stuff I wish I'd known when I restarted.

I also found this cool youtube chanel from one of the way back EQ devs where he does long format interviews with other prior developers, writers, programmers, etc related to the original EQ. It's really, really cool hearing some of these places developed. Most of end game Kunark was an adaptation of the guys D&D campaign. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFl_3ktLNPYUeicLmhSvB1Q

EQ rules!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, the zone guide is great! Except when it's not. But generally it's pretty great. Every now and again it gets screwy and you'll want to get yourself part of the way until it stops being stupid. TBH it surprises me that an ancient game like EQ has that feature, and no other MMO does (that I know of).

aLovingRobot's interviews are often awesome too. It's fun to hear some of the behind the scenes stuff.

Also some sad, personal stuff. In the one with Jeff Butler, they talked a bit about Brad. It made it sound like he may have committed suicide (or had attempted to, and it ultimately is why he died). His wife apparently died a month later. Vu Nguyen (zone designer) mentioned that he was in the hospital hooked up to a bunch of machines the week before he died.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Looks like they nerfed loot on some of the easier POP mobs on mischief. We were getting hella stuff just from named giants in PoStorms but now all they seem to only drop in-zone level 55 loot and at much lower quantities. We were getting 3-4 pieces of loot off them. Ornate stuff..etc.

Maybe its for the best but our guild just started doing this and it was a nice way to gear up the lower members

also Krono prices are over 400k right now. inflation is real

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Setset posted:

Looks like they nerfed loot on some of the easier POP mobs on mischief. We were getting hella stuff just from named giants in PoStorms but now all they seem to only drop in-zone level 55 loot and at much lower quantities. We were getting 3-4 pieces of loot off them. Ornate stuff..etc.

Maybe its for the best but our guild just started doing this and it was a nice way to gear up the lower members

also Krono prices are over 400k right now. inflation is real

They specifically took Storm Giants off the random table and made them only random their own loot.

All other easy targets such as Grummus, 7th Hammer, PoN, Torment, etc all seem to drop like they used to.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I imagine you’re starting to see some of the krono starting to leave mischief, people are cashing out and getting ready for the next TLP. Maybe even migrating to other servers, at least on aradune krono price dropped a bit we’re below 100k again.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yiggy posted:

I imagine you’re starting to see some of the krono starting to leave mischief, people are cashing out and getting ready for the next TLP. Maybe even migrating to other servers, at least on aradune krono price dropped a bit we’re below 100k again.

Why would people leave for the next tlp? Don't they all start in the base game?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I’m sure most of the player base starts fresh on every wave of TLP’s. That’s where most of the fun of EQ lies. Recreating that nostalgic trip through the first few expansions. It’s also where most of the money is to be made in krono farming.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Yeah, this stuff is cyclical now that they do a new TLP every year.

For whatever reason the excitement lasts until PoP because that's when the nostalgia wears off for most people. Classic is extremely easy krono too.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Can think of a few different types of players who will be eager to try the next tlp:
*Serial grinders and speed runners.
*Heavily vested players who will likely still play mischief to some extent but want to liquidate and be ready to play the new server while there is a lot of krono churn.
*players who started tlping/returned to eq w/mischief but don’t like the rule set and don’t want to join an older server.
*players who get burnt out on the late pop => Ldon => gates of discord slog. Looks like OOW launches on mischief right when the new tlp is slated to launch so that’ll be a decisive moment for some players I’d expect. I know GoD turned off some of our raiders and they jumped ship to mischief to retread luclin > pop, this pattern plays itself out a lot I suspect.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I couldn't face classic to luclin again. PoP is alright - just need to be cut down to 3 months.

I really like GoD and Omens onwards - lots of fun there and the smaller raids really make it more personal for my play style.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I've never really given post-POP a chance myself, we'll see how long I stay on this time but on mangler I quit soon into next exp. Just no nostalgia there kinda makes it feel empty. And I like replaying the old content from scratch as a new class, since I don't box and just play the 1 toon at a time, and that experience is best on a fresh tlp

shaggy--
Nov 9, 2000
Hillary Clinton loves a winner!

Solarin posted:

You're right on time regarding that TLP announcement. Per https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/everquest-roadmap-2022.280447/ there's a new one coming in may, ruleset yet to be announced. Look like the cycle continues.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I very much expected a March release, May feels pretty late.

Hopefully they announce the rules way in advance so they have time to fix them after the community melts down about how lovely and boring they are. That used to be the annual tradition under the old leadership.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Solarin posted:

I very much expected a March release, May feels pretty late.

Hopefully they announce the rules way in advance so they have time to fix them after the community melts down about how lovely and boring they are. That used to be the annual tradition under the old leadership.

Are there any more tlp servers that just run vanilla? I've always wanted to try the game in its natural habitat.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Are there any more tlp servers that just run vanilla? I've always wanted to try the game in its natural habitat.

The closest is Agnarr which I believe is locked in POP era, the rest may start at original launch state, but will move to Kunark in 2-3 months.

Seriously though, those first few months are amazing for nostalgia when a TLP launches.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I never played it myself but I think P99 is the closest vanilla experience you can get. TLPs are pretty different with the much faster xp, power creep and heaps of convenience features.

If you just mean a classic start TLP server without any insane gimmicks then there's a pretty good chance that's what they will deliver in May. They will have to do some creative poo poo to one up the ultimate loot pinata of Mischief so I doubt they'll even try and will just do a typical true box TLP.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
It looks like EQ2 is getting a level scaled server this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if EQ gets something similar either in this round of TLPs or the next.

Basically you begin at max level with gear and get scaled to be level appropriate in whichever zone you’re in, sort of how Guild Wars or Elder Scrolls would handle it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vanilla is well and good but god it would be so terribly boring if it never progressed past that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I had a great time Classic through Velious and would absolutely do that stretch again someday. Probably not this year though. I’m happily working through the new FFXIV expansion and enjoying an EQ break.

I really should have quit Mischief the day Luclin launched. Next time I’ll just liquidate everything I can in the Bazaar and call it a finished TLP.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

If the server ruleset is wacky I'll have an easier time staying on Aradune. Even without the surge of population I've had plenty to do.

There is a nice cycle to the expansions where my play group will have plenty to tackle and work on during launch and as the expansion ages we small group old content for alts and boxes. We mix things up by level locking different groups of alts at lower levels for grouping older zones or places that were off meta. That way when we have an itch to play different content we have some motivation for picking targets and something to do with the loot, because raiding just to rot loot is no fun.

For one round of alts we took about a month to gear up level 1 characters with no lvl req raid loot. Mostly from luclin, but some NToV. It was a blast to have a sort of alternate late-night raid schedule of small grouping old raid targets and speed gearing a twink group. Since it was old content we were usually able to hit a mix of OW targets and the DZs. My finished lvl 1 ranger was decked out with two halls of testing quest pieces, a handful of ssra pieces, some khati sha items and a sack full of various bows.

Now that we finished phase 1 gearing, phase 2 is touring old zones that we didn't experience much just because of how the herd moves on TLPs. Was fun revisiting blackburrow, having the gnoll run off, agroing and bringing back the whole burrow and then slowly vanquishing the gnoll army.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 24, 2022

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
And the itch is hitting me again.

Any goonish guilds on Mischief that can use a fresh Monk/Druid combo?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Faceless is always recruiting, but you're going to have to be 65 obviously to raid, and there's minimal low level action.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

MF_James posted:

The Faceless is always recruiting, but you're going to have to be 65 obviously to raid, and there's minimal low level action.

Gotcha. I shoulda started on Mischief instead of Thornblade.

I do have the pleasure though of leveling a monk/druid combo starting with a woven grass bracer. Talk about fricking broken.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Can't you char transfer from thornblade? Obviously costs money tho, not sure if it's worth it.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
60 SK and 54 BST on Thornblade, not really worth. I dipped out for a few months anyways, else it wouldn't be 'got the itch again' and instead a 'greener pastures' situation.

Was playing a lot of Wrath of the Righteous and didn't want to split my attention.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

DoN completed on Aradune. Not amazing raids that's for sure, like a LDoN lite. I can tell the focus on tasks/progression is how the game is going to be structured from here on. The classes I'm playing are really fun so I don't really mind the different style.

Though I think Spirit of Panther may in fact be as terrible to use as I thought. Only uhh 6 months until the group version. :ohno:

Lastly, who in gods name decided these rep tokens should be lore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Solarin posted:

Lastly, who in gods name decided these rep tokens should be lore?

Once you have rep for t5, you shove one in a bank slot for a few months until you’ll never see that content again and anytime you run one you won’t get the token popping up.