Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

BoldFace posted:

Remember that one time not so long ago when Russia shot down a commercial passenger jet full of people flying over Ukraine?

I believe you mean a fake flight with crisis actors and CIA plants, just like when the CIA exploded ammo depot over here and then framed some random Russia tourists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

Terminal autist posted:

Seems like if both sides of a conflict have actual Nazis fighting a war maybe we shouldn't take a side and let them sort it out, reminds me a bit of Syria huh

Every side in every conflict s going to have some, since every country is full of fuckheads, however Luhansk and Donetsk and other Russia supported groups are the only ones that consist almost exclusively of Nazis, though. Also lollontee is full of poo poo.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Still a better post than the last one on previous page.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

According to FT, Russia is open to further diplomacy on the topic of Ukraine, as a consequence to today’s meeting between Blinken and Lavrov. At the same time, Russia has clarified that it demand NATO troops entirely gone from east of Germany, it seems, since the FT article is saying the demand is for “NATO to remove all its forces from Bulgaria, Romania, and other ex-communist states”.

Yeah, which again, would mean basically kicking Poland and multiple other Eastern European countries out of Nato.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

No I want you to, within the frame of the CURRENT Insurgency and Russian intervention, show me where this ethnic cleansing is? If your argument rests on Donbass needing Russian support to stop a genocide, then show me where that is and when was it occurring from 2014 till now?

Where was the imminent threat? When did it start?

https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2014/07/06/donbass-russians-subject-unparalleled-ethnic-cleansing/

heres a good one going through the roots of the conflict

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

Every side in every conflict s going to have some, Luhansk and Donetsk and other Russia supported groups are the only ones that consist almost exclusively of Nazis, though. Also lollontee is full of poo poo.

Internecine sectarian conflicts are really loving bad I dont know what the correct thing to do is but finding the biggest psycho in the region and giving them crates full of guns and unmarked bills has a observable horrible track record.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

This guy is in here quoting basically Stormfront 2.0, are we seriously going to pretend this is "discussion" and tolerable?

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 21, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

You realize that's a Russian funded think tank, right and is largely viewed as an arm of the russian government?

quote:

The Strategic Culture Foundation is a Russian think tank that primarily publishes an online current affairs magazine of the same name. It is regarded as an arm of Russian state interests by the United States government.[1]

Bonus points for funding a conspiracy theorist who does Holocaust Denials

quote:

One of the leading columnists is the American conservative journalist and former CIA officer Philip Giraldi, a conspiracy theorist who has contributed pieces on numerous political issues, flirting with Holocaust denial, and outspoken in his criticism of Zionism.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

Terminal autist posted:

Internecine sectarian conflicts are really loving bad I dont know what the correct thing to do is but finding the biggest psycho in the region and giving them crates full of guns and unmarked bills has a observable horrible track record.

Ukraine isn't the biggest psycho by a long shot.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nice article by a 5G death rays truther, lmao.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

You realize that's a Russian funded think tank, right and is largely viewed as an arm of the russian government?

It's a "journal" that unironically posts about the dangers of judeobolshevism. You are selling it short.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

what a normal organization.

quote:

The Strategic Culture Foundation is a Russian think tank that primarily publishes an online current affairs magazine of the same name. It is regarded as an arm of Russian state interests by the United States government.[1]

According to a 2020 United States Department of State report, the Strategic Culture Foundation is directed by Russia's Foreign Intelligence Service, and is closely affiliated with Russia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.[1]

It has been characterized as a conservative, pro-Russian propaganda website by U.S. media, but the publishers of the site are unlikely to endorse any of the specific political positions espoused in the publication.[2][3]

One of the leading columnists is the American conservative journalist and former CIA officer Philip Giraldi, a conspiracy theorist who has contributed pieces on numerous political issues, flirting with Holocaust denial, and outspoken in his criticism of Zionism.

The Washington Post reported in September 2020 that Facebook had banned a Russian disinformation network operated by the Strategic Culture Foundation -- a network that “helped spread conspiracy theories aimed at English-speaking audiences, including by fueling false rumors that the coronavirus was produced as a bioweapon and that a potential vaccine would include tracking technology.”

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

According to FT, Russia is open to further diplomacy on the topic of Ukraine, as a consequence to today’s meeting between Blinken and Lavrov. At the same time, Russia has clarified that it demand NATO troops entirely gone from east of Germany, it seems, since the FT article is saying the demand is for “NATO to remove all its forces from Bulgaria, Romania, and other ex-communist states”.

Yeah I was waiting for that one.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

I'm sorry your best buddy Nazis got hurt

Okay, lollontee is extremely dumb, but let's also not brand all civilians who died during the conflict as nazis.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

Ukraine isn't the biggest psycho by a long shot.

Talking about the individual actors and I'm sure the DoD and CIA already have a list of sadistic sickos

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Xarn posted:

I agree, CommieGIR should moderate the thread.

I also agree, I thought wishing death on people you disagree with wouldn't be permissible. If I'm mistaken, though, I'd appreciate some enlightenment.

fnox
May 19, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

This guy is in here quoting basic Stormfront 2.0, are we seriously going to pretend this is "discussion" and tolerable?

lol I knew it was going to be bad, I didn’t expect it to be that bad.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

TipTow posted:

I also agree, I thought wishing death on people you disagree with wouldn't be permissible. If I'm mistaken, though, I'd appreciate some enlightenment.

I am willing to eat the probe if this thread gets rid of idiots like you and tee.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
As I understand the new-ish guidelines in D&D, lollontee is allowed to advance any argument they want. Instead of simply posting this link: https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2014/07/06/donbass-russians-subject-unparalleled-ethnic-cleansing/

I would ask lollontee to explain, in their own words, what exactly their understanding of the roots of the conflict are and why that source is a good reference on the subject.

Everyone else please take a short break and allow lollontee to make thir argument.

edit: they can make any argument they want, as long as they can support it

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

lollontee posted:

heres a good one going through the roots of the conflict

лмао

also yeah, i'd rather the thread doesn't fall into the other extreme and call everyone on the DNR/LNR side a nazi. i think we can all agree that it's a tad more complicated than that

(oh yeah, just found out that apparently my favourite monarchist and FSB guy Igor Girkin/Strelkov was directly involved with the Prizrak battalion. which is, lmao)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Soiled Meat

Fritz the Horse posted:

As I understand the new-ish guidelines in D&D, lollontee is allowed to advance any argument they want.

Is this a bad joke?

Are we back to mods rewarding posters for making a "supported" list of arguments on why islamophobia s justified? I thought that approach to moderation was roundly and rightly mocked.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/22/russian-convoy-crosses-border-ukraine-without-permission
if you recall these aid convoys, they were in response to a blockade instituted on the luhansk and donetsk territories. people were being starved

CommieGIR posted:

Bonus points for funding a conspiracy theorist who does Holocaust Denials

i was actually writing a joke post with that on another tab, posted by mistake. anyway, you do want us go through the early luhansk and donetsk events? what do you remember of it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

As I understand the new-ish guidelines in D&D, lollontee is allowed to advance any argument they want.

Maybe I’m the slow one here, please clarify for me - do the new rules explicitly allow to promote anything, including internationally recognised crimes like ethnic cleansing, so long as the person endorsing them has an internally consistent perception of the act?

What’s the contingency plan for when reddit refugees come to D&D to argue about age of consent?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Olga Chetverikova, leader of the Immune Response movement against vaccination?

really seems more like a crank parroting the talking points of her favorite political party

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

lollontee posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/22/russian-convoy-crosses-border-ukraine-without-permission
if you recall these aid convoys, they were in response to a blockade instituted on the luhansk and donetsk territories. people were being starved

i was actually writing a joke post with that on another tab, posted by mistake. anyway, you do want us go through the early luhansk and donetsk events? what do you remember of it?

Where were you going to post that as a joke?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

steinrokkan posted:

Is this a bad joke?

nope

Koos Group posted:

If someone posted a two hour video about holocaust denial I would probably remove it and force them to summarize it themselves instead, since relying on something like that to make all of your points is as you imply an onerous burden to put on your opponents, as well as not your original thoughts. If they were posting essays someone else wrote as their own they would also be punished for both spamming and acting in bad faith.

But those cases aside, D&D is meant to be educational and I do believe debunking that stuff, particularly arguments that a real neo-nazi is actually trying to use, serves the purpose of educating readers and making them better at arguing. This may be a bit idealistic, but at its very best D&D is meant to give you some boon to use in the real world, and in the real world you might encounter people of any political persuasion.

An added bonus is that it would allow people of different political factions in D&D to be reminded that their differences are small and enjoy going after a common foe.

I'm not saying what lollontee posted is the same as holocaust denial, but I would like them to summarize their argument and defend their use of the source, then we'll go from there.

I skimmed the last few pages of the thread, they will be acted on. Most of the mods are in the middle of their work day or asleep right now.

edit:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Maybe I’m the slow one here, please clarify for me - do the new rules explicitly allow to promote anything, including internationally recognised crimes like ethnic cleansing, so long as the person endorsing them has an internally consistent perception of the act?

What’s the contingency plan for when reddit refugees come to D&D to argue about age of consent?

see above quote from Koos Group. This is a bit of a test case.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

lollontee posted:

i was actually writing a joke post with that on another tab, posted by mistake

Okay.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fritz the Horse posted:

I skimmed the last few pages of the thread, they will be acted on. Most of the mods are in the middle of their work day or asleep right now.

sorry about making it so hot by my mere presence i guess!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Fritz the Horse posted:

Everyone else please take a short break and allow lollontee to make thir argument.

Any conclusion follows from a false premise.

At some point you have to look at the sort of "support" he's trying to use. It's pretty brutal.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

lollontee posted:

no no your presence is absolutely fine, really

please, tell us more about internationalist ml brigades engaged in revolutionary struggle against Evil ukronazis - fighting side by side with FSB monarchists and russian nazis (the Good kind)

don't forget to link an article from a site that seems to publish every single right-wing crank in russian infosphere (as a joke, of course)

nurmie fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 21, 2022

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fritz the Horse posted:

As I understand the new-ish guidelines in D&D, lollontee is allowed to advance any argument they want. Instead of simply posting this link: https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2014/07/06/donbass-russians-subject-unparalleled-ethnic-cleansing/

I would ask lollontee to explain, in their own words, what exactly their understanding of the roots of the conflict are and why that source is a good reference on the subject.

lollontee posted:

We're waiting.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

lollontee posted:

So you were going to post a link to an antisemitic (and a whole lot else) conspiracy theory organization as a joke, correct?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fritz the Horse posted:

So you were going to post a link to an antisemitic (and a whole lot else) conspiracy theory organization as a joke, correct?

as a satiristic response to what is being demanded of me, which is a short history on the origins of luhansk-donetsk crisis, yes. i trust that i can have like a day or two to write that? i got other poo poo to do tonight, but ill get to it tomorrow

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lollontee posted:

And this is prove of ethnic cleansing how? Again: the main theme of your argument is that there is ethnic cleansing going on. This link doesn't prove that either. What proof do you have that the blockage of an openly ongoing insurgency is "ethnic cleansing"?

And worth noting: Russia has been moving insurgents inside Red Cross marked convoys and has been caught doing so:
https://www.euractiv.com/section/europe-s-east/news/showdown-looms-as-red-cross-shuns-russian-aid-convoy/

There wasn't even any Red Cross members in the convoy. Huh.

quote:

According to Isyuk, the ICRC yesterday requested information about the types of assistance being delivered from the Russian authorities, such as the volume of items, transportation arrangements, and storage details.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fritz the Horse posted:

see above quote from Koos Group. This is a bit of a test case.

Does Koos Group realise that debunking stuff 1) requires 10 times the effort that’s needed to come up with nonsense and 2) doesn’t really work if the other side isn’t interested to change their mind? Will SA fact checkers also get paid like the real world journalists do, or is this meant to be simply a punishment for being knowledgeable about a subject, to have to seriously and kindly treat every single post when they have their own conversations interests to pursue? Don’t even get me started on actual people itt who intentionally post state propaganda and gather a few dozen replies before going “xD lmao my gbs thread told me ure having a meltdown so i decided to check. you guys are really online with your sick owns lolee”, or simply misinformed posters/useful idiots that need to receive a high school history course from someone to reach the ground floor of the conversation.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

So the massing of Russian troops on the border with Ukraine, and the deployment of 6 landing ships from the Black Sea fleet is for...?

A publicity stunt to prove that NATO cant corner Russia.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Does Koos Group realise that debunking stuff 1) requires 10 times the effort that’s needed to come up with nonsense and 2) doesn’t really work if the other side isn’t interested to change their mind? Will SA fact checkers also get paid like the real world journalists do, or is this meant to be simply a punishment for being knowledgeable about a subject, to have to seriously and kindly treat every single post when they have their own conversations interests to pursue? Don’t even get me started on actual people itt who intentionally post state propaganda and gather a few dozen replies before going “xD lmao my gbs thread told me ure having a meltdown so i decided to check. you guys are really online with your sick owns lolee”, or simply misinformed posters/useful idiots that need to receive a high school history course from someone to reach the ground floor of the conversation.

I've asked Koos and another mod or two to review the whole last several pages. There's something like 220 posts since I checked the thread last night.

Like I said, this is a bit of a test case and I'd rather Koos Group take the reins on how to proceed. Koos is certainly open to feedback and tweaking things, so I'd communicate with them.

I'm not just passing the buck here I'll continue to be involved and keep an eye on this thread but I'm new to modding and not entirely sure what Koos' plan for stuff like this is.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fair enough, let's hope it works out.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So like what’s the significance of giving a written response to Putin by Biden? Wouldn’t anything short of what Russia wants mean that it’s just writing a letter saying ‘ try invading Ukraine bozo we’ll sanction you’?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean cinci is right, this is fundamentally a choice about quality of debate. D&D can either be a place where every thread is mired in debunking low-effort disinformation hopefully for the benefit of lurkers, or it can be a place to discuss and learn about what is actually going on. But it can't be both. Oh and everyone hates doing the former. Nobody has been happy with the last few pages apart the very gleeful troll.

E: ^^ basically it's a 'final offer, no chance of misinterpretation in the room'

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 21, 2022