Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

SEKCobra posted:

Can anyone recommend a good comparison program for text files? I am liking the Notepad++ plugin less and less and really want something simple to compare and edit simple configuration files across revisions.

Personally a fan of UltraCompare. It's not free but is fast even on very large files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why is Word on Windows 10 not letting me type quotation marks normally? It makes me type Shift+" twice, then I get two sets of quotation marks (""). Pressing Shift+" once does nothing. Incredible how they find new ways to break simple features in Office!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Almost sounds like some kind of international mode or international keyboard layout.

e: like this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-press-quotes-and-double-quotes-twice-in/d1b248e7-b870-48bb-b01e-1efa4d6213b7

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks, that was it. I have no idea why that was turned on, this is a day-old installation. I googled everywhere but only got stuff about the smart quotes setting.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thanks, that was it. I have no idea why that was turned on, this is a day-old installation. I googled everywhere but only got stuff about the smart quotes setting.

It's on my default, or rather the hotkey is enabled by default. Are you outside the states? If you select Canada in windows setup it automatically tries to give you two keyboards and you have to click no a few times.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

No, I'm in the US with a US laptop. Oh well.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm not sure where to ask this, but I need something to break me out of playing a game that's sucking up 100% of my attention. I'm running Windows 10 on my desktop at home.

I sometimes sit down to play a game - Civ VI, Skyrim, there are others in the last few months - with the intention of playing for an hour and a half to two hours, but I'll get lost in the game and sit there for five or six hours. This causes problems. I've tried things like setting an alarm on my phone or having a clock in my line of sight but I tend to just silence the alarm and ignore the clock. Yesterday, Civ VI crashed after I'd been playing for about five hours and that jolted me out of it enough for me to walk away from the computer. Something slightly less drastic than a surprise software failure is what I'm looking for.

I think what might help is a program running in Windows that can interrupt a full-screen game with something I need to do that breaks my attention away from the game. I know there are programs that work with a browser to limit time on specific websites, is there something that works in just Windows, or perhaps through Steam? Most of my playing recently has been through Steam but I have other games, too.

If there's another thread somewhere better suited I'm happy to move this question. Thanks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You could set up a "kid" account and set up parental controls to limit the times you play?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I'm not sure where to ask this, but I need something to break me out of playing a game that's sucking up 100% of my attention. I'm running Windows 10 on my desktop at home.

I sometimes sit down to play a game - Civ VI, Skyrim, there are others in the last few months - with the intention of playing for an hour and a half to two hours, but I'll get lost in the game and sit there for five or six hours. This causes problems. I've tried things like setting an alarm on my phone or having a clock in my line of sight but I tend to just silence the alarm and ignore the clock. Yesterday, Civ VI crashed after I'd been playing for about five hours and that jolted me out of it enough for me to walk away from the computer. Something slightly less drastic than a surprise software failure is what I'm looking for.

I think what might help is a program running in Windows that can interrupt a full-screen game with something I need to do that breaks my attention away from the game. I know there are programs that work with a browser to limit time on specific websites, is there something that works in just Windows, or perhaps through Steam? Most of my playing recently has been through Steam but I have other games, too.

If there's another thread somewhere better suited I'm happy to move this question. Thanks.

This is a weird thing to add because it's not really about Windows software, but I'm a behaviorist.

1) you can make it harder to play the game. For example, uninstall it every time you're done. Now to play you have to install it.
2) you can make the game less attractive. Deliberately set your resolution to something completely garbage, put it in black and white, turn the sound off, etc.
3) you can make a rule that you only play the game under uncomfortable circumstances. For example, only when standing, only when kneeling, in the worst chair you own, etc.
4) you can make other things much easier. Whatever you're supposed to do, or want to do, set it up in advance. For example, if you want to exercise instead, get your outfit out, have headphones ready, etc.
5) you can set rules for yourself (though this sounds like it could be ineffective for you). That is, "I can only play games on Sunday." Rules can be surprisingly strong.
6) think about your values. You sound like you're saying that your values (e.g., who you want to be) is different from your actions. You can move towards your values or away from your values. Currently you're moving away from your values. What are the concrete actions and behaviors that move you towards your values?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

nocal posted:

This is a weird thing to add because it's not really about Windows software, but I'm a behaviorist.

1) you can make it harder to play the game. For example, uninstall it every time you're done. Now to play you have to install it.
2) you can make the game less attractive. Deliberately set your resolution to something completely garbage, put it in black and white, turn the sound off, etc.
3) you can make a rule that you only play the game under uncomfortable circumstances. For example, only when standing, only when kneeling, in the worst chair you own, etc.
4) you can make other things much easier. Whatever you're supposed to do, or want to do, set it up in advance. For example, if you want to exercise instead, get your outfit out, have headphones ready, etc.
5) you can set rules for yourself (though this sounds like it could be ineffective for you). That is, "I can only play games on Sunday." Rules can be surprisingly strong.
6) think about your values. You sound like you're saying that your values (e.g., who you want to be) is different from your actions. You can move towards your values or away from your values. Currently you're moving away from your values. What are the concrete actions and behaviors that move you towards your values?

I want to enjoy playing the game because I like playing the game and it brings me joy. I've tried rules, they do work sometimes, but not for this. I want to enjoy playing the game for a couple of hours, then stop playing. I do not want to make starting to play the game, nor those first 120 minutes, difficult or unpleasant. I do not want to set a rigid schedule or blackout periods or anything like that because my life at the moment is... unmoored, to a certain extent. Not going into detail here, but my job changed from full-time to part-time, and which hours and days I work is 100% up to me. I can work from home, I can go into the office, I can sit in my boxer shorts in the backyard and use my flippy-screen work laptop (also Windows 10) in tablet mode (though writing in that mode would be awful). If a pair of hours shows up free and I'm at home, I'd like to be able to spend that time planning my invasion of Russia.

Having the resolution slowly turn to poo poo after two hours would be really interesting and probably quite effective, but I don't have any idea how possible that would be.

Point 6) hits pretty close to the things I'm gonna talk to my therapist about at the end of the month. Having a behaviorist pop in so quickly is great! But I think wandering around my psyche is not what this thread is for.

Medullah posted:

You could set up a "kid" account and set up parental controls to limit the times you play?
I'll play around with parental controls and a kid account this weekend. I'm hoping I'll be able to leave the schedule blank but have a setting like "kid mode drops out after (set time) and user must re-log-in to Windows". Thanks!

\/\/\/ Steam parental controls - yes, I'll look into those, too. Also, LOL at reading The Economist - that's my breakfast time activity and yeah, I tap out after around 45 minutes (unless it's the Christmas special).

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 21, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pretty sure Steam has parental controls for exactly this.

Here's what I've done in periods when I need to unwind a little but have too much on my plate to get absorbed in a game for hours:

-Choose activities that will come to an end after 20 minutes or so. Civ has that 'one more turn thing' which is the exact opposite, but there are lots of games that have natural 15-30 minute loops
-Do something that's only kind of interesting but also boring after a while. Up to you what that is, for me it's reading the Economist and playing Elder Scrolls online. I can't pass more than an hour doing these things.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

You can pay me to be your internet dad. $45 USD/week gets you the following:

• 20 min of direct supervision (via RDP) daily
  • Emails every 2-3 days where I seem like I'm trying but not too hard but I want to connect but I don't really understand what you actually do these days
  • An awkward phone call every 2-3 weeks where I'm obviously trying to build up the nerve to ask you about something but then I don't really get to it and it just peters out
  • 8-22 flipboard forwards to your email inbox daily
  • Asking about something you offhand mentioned you were into 5 years ago as if it's still your current hobby

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ExecuDork posted:

Having the resolution slowly turn to poo poo after two hours would be really interesting and probably quite effective, but I don't have any idea how possible that would be.

A thing I did for a friend having similar problems is a program that semi-disables the mouse at a clock time. To left-click, you have to hold down the middle mouse button for 1.75 seconds. So you can still save & quit your game, even finish moving your units or whatever small activity to reach a stop point if you're dedicated. But it's pretty much the end of gaming time. It'd be easy to make it a gradual process -- first one out of 20 clicks fails, then 1 in 10, then no clicks.

For myself, I found a moderate reminder is usually all I need. So I made a text-to-speech clock that starts telling me what time it is every 1/2 hour starting at like 10. When it gets actually late it also adds sarcastic reminders (inspiration).

Both are made in autohotkey, and I'm happy to share, as script & compiled exe. The mouse thing I can easily provide. The TTS is part of my much bigger general system script so it's not instantly sharable, but I can do it in a few days.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

This sounds like a mix of hyperfocus and time blindness, maybe look into getting tested for ADHD.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

A thing I did for a friend having similar problems is a program that semi-disables the mouse at a clock time. To left-click, you have to hold down the middle mouse button for 1.75 seconds. So you can still save & quit your game, even finish moving your units or whatever small activity to reach a stop point if you're dedicated. But it's pretty much the end of gaming time. It'd be easy to make it a gradual process -- first one out of 20 clicks fails, then 1 in 10, then no clicks.

For myself, I found a moderate reminder is usually all I need. So I made a text-to-speech clock that starts telling me what time it is every 1/2 hour starting at like 10. When it gets actually late it also adds sarcastic reminders (inspiration).

Both are made in autohotkey, and I'm happy to share, as script & compiled exe. The mouse thing I can easily provide. The TTS is part of my much bigger general system script so it's not instantly sharable, but I can do it in a few days.

That sounds great! I'll start with the parental controls stuff but I like your mouse-crippling program. Gives time to finish up whatever micro-task I'm doing at the 2:00:00 instant but it's uncomfortable and tedious enough that I just finish up as soon as I can and close the game. I'm not sure I'd like the gradual process, I have a long history of suspecting my hardware and software is malfunctioning, and forgetting that it's supposed to do that or that the solution is very simple (e.g. change the batteries in the bluetooth mouse). A notice appearing saying "Time's Up!", then the mouse is messed with as you describe, would be fantastic.

I'd love to try it out - would you mind pointing me at the exe file?

TOOT BOOT posted:

This sounds like a mix of hyperfocus and time blindness, maybe look into getting tested for ADHD.
Yeah, I need to talk to my doctor about some related things in a few weeks, I'll float the idea if I remember. I'll read up on hyperfocus and time blindness, I am not familiar with those terms in a precise, clinical definition kind of way.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's also a stereotypical experience of certain types of games, where you're in a constant state of almost seeing the payoff of what you've done previously. As tests go, it seems sensitive but not very specific?

Doesn't mean he shouldn't talk to his doctor about it in this case, but I'm wary of pathologising everyone who has ever lost track of time trying to finish a game of Civ. :)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I cloned a windows drive to another disk. How do I delete the old windows folder, boot up a linux distro with NTFS support from usb stick and delete it? No other way?

I changed a motherboard and CPU and it bricked my local google drive mirror folder. I can't create or delete files. I have full rights but I can't delete the folder. I created a new folder for the mirror and it remirrored the data from cloud.

Now I need to get rid of the bricked folder. Boot up a linux distro with NTFS support and delete the folder?

Isn't there any way to delete folders in Windows without using Linux? Thanks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You fools. What he needs is a partner to bitch him out whenever he does anything he enjoys for more than 20 minutes.

Though, willfully playing a sid meier game may be evidence of deeper issues that should be addressed immediately

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ExecuDork posted:

I'm not sure I'd like the gradual process, I have a long history of suspecting my hardware and software is malfunctioning, and forgetting that it's supposed to do that or that the solution is very simple (e.g. change the batteries in the bluetooth mouse). A notice appearing saying "Time's Up!", then the mouse is messed with as you describe, would be fantastic.

I'd love to try it out - would you mind pointing me at the exe file?

I'll add a notice display and have it for you this evening.

Ihmemies posted:

I cloned a windows drive to another disk. How do I delete the old windows folder, boot up a linux distro with NTFS support from usb stick and delete it? No other way?

By far the easiest way is to just format the partition or wipe the old drive, since you've cloned it across.

Aside from that, you can run these three commends from a admin command prompt (start -> type 'cmd' -> right click "Command Prompt" and use run as administrator):
takeown /F "Z:\Windows" /A /R /D Y
icacls "Z:\Windows" /T /grant administrators:F
rd /s /q "Z:\Windows"

where Z needs to be replaced with the drive letter your old windows install is at. Repeat for the program files directories if needed.

Ihmemies posted:

I changed a motherboard and CPU and it bricked my local google drive mirror folder. I can't create or delete files. I have full rights but I can't delete the folder. I created a new folder for the mirror and it remirrored the data from cloud.

Uh, I don't think the mobo and CPU could have anything to do with that. More likely the google drive software was hosed for some reason and blocking you.

Regardless, you can run those three commands above with "Z:Windows" replaced with the full path of your former google drive folder to delete it now, if you're satisfied that everything got synced in the new folder. Or just run the first two to take ownership and full permissions.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks. I found an explanation from Google that changing hardware can cause issues like that. And today I could remove the old Google drive folder just fine, weird!

I have 800GB of games on the drive. The windows files have been there for a while. Those magical commands worked. Now I have 15GB of more space there, neat.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 21, 2022

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Computer viking posted:

Doesn't mean he shouldn't talk to his doctor about it in this case, but I'm wary of pathologising everyone who has ever lost track of time trying to finish a game of Civ. :)

ExecuDork posted:

I'll float the idea if I remember.

Nah, it's ADHD. Ok technically I'm making a joke but it seems pretty likely. I'm very ADHD myself and that phrase is soooo me.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

How would I go about duplicating my current 250GB windows 10 boot SSD and all the personal data, etc onto it onto a brand new 1TB SSD that i can just swap out?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deviant posted:

How would I go about duplicating my current 250GB windows 10 boot SSD and all the personal data, etc onto it onto a brand new 1TB SSD that i can just swap out?

Macrium Reflect Free

You want to clone the full drive (including recovery & boot partitions), and you can resize the C: to fill the empty space during the process of cloning (see steps 4 & 5 here).

If by chance this is an old install that was originally upgraded from Win7, you may also want to check whether it is MBR or GPT. This would be a convenient time to do that conversion as well if the drive is still MBR.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Update to my addiction-management question.

Steam's family controls only limit what games different family members have access to, not for how long.
Windows 10 comes with lots of family controls that look useful from their descriptions, but I cannot figure out how to set them up. The instructions in Windows for adding a device to a child's account do not correspond with what options I have in Windows Settings. The key step is to go into Settings and get to the My Family list, and choose "Allow" under the options for the child account. No such button exists. I spent the last 20 minutes going around in circles in MS Help.

So, a real Windows question: how do I configure a child's account to limit screen time? Windows 10, desktop, I'm in Australia if that matters.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Steam's family controls only limit what games different family members have access to, not for how long.
Windows 10 comes with lots of family controls that look useful from their descriptions, but I cannot figure out how to set them up. The instructions in Windows for adding a device to a child's account do not correspond with what options I have in Windows Settings. The key step is to go into Settings and get to the My Family list, and choose "Allow" under the options for the child account. No such button exists. I spent the last 20 minutes going around in circles in MS Help.

So, a real Windows question: how do I configure a child's account to limit screen time? Windows 10, desktop, I'm in Australia if that matters.

It you really want to deal with the problem through technology you should probably buy something like Cold Turkey which is intended to block distractions. I don't know whether it has the specific features you're looking for though. I guess you could probably whitelist the exe for the time period where you want to play, and block it at other times.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good replacement for Windows Explorer on Windows 11? I'm currently suffering through the very laggy responsiveness which seems to be specific to Windows 11. Whatever tool I'd use would ideally have my right-click context menu, and especially links to creating OneDrive shareable links, etc.

Basically I want Windows Explorer but not laggy.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good replacement for Windows Explorer on Windows 11? I'm currently suffering through the very laggy responsiveness which seems to be specific to Windows 11. Whatever tool I'd use would ideally have my right-click context menu, and especially links to creating OneDrive shareable links, etc.

Basically I want Windows Explorer but not laggy.

TotalCommander

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ExecuDork posted:

Hey dude my old mouse-blocking thing was not as nice as I remembered, so I took a bit more time to do a better job. Just finished it up now. Here you go: GoonSleep

There's both a compiled exe and the ahk script code. You can replace the included .png image with any other png you'd like as your warning image (any size, doesn't need to be the same resolution).

Possibly useful note: Windows (at least 10 & up) gives some system components privileged input that other programs can't muck with. So this program is safe with stuff like the lock screen, and in any situation where you need to use your computer you can just hit ctrl+alt+del to get the Task Manager. Task Manager is also immune so you can easily use that to kill GoonSleep no matter what.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TOOT BOOT posted:

It you really want to deal with the problem through technology you should probably buy something like Cold Turkey which is intended to block distractions. I don't know whether it has the specific features you're looking for though. I guess you could probably whitelist the exe for the time period where you want to play, and block it at other times.

Distraction avoidance is good, and something I'll also look into, but it's not what I'm looking for right now. I have no problem with starting (THING), I want to be pushed out of (THING) after a couple of hours so I don't do (THING) for 5 hours when I had planned to do it for 2. That's very different from do (THING) for zero hours, or have a miserable experience as soon as I try to start (THING).

GoonSleep seems perfect, I'll try it out this week (I intend to do some THING tomorrow, for a couple of hours).

MikusR posted:

TotalCommander

Fantastic. I like Windows Explorer, most of the time, and this looks like it takes away the bits I don't like and adds some stuff I want, like batch-rename. An answer to a question I didn't know I wanted to ask.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Directory Opus is a very popular Explorer replacement. I've never bothered with that sort of thing myself, although I DID use Opus on the Amiga it was originally written for. I also remember driving to the author's house to by a copy of his GPTerm modem software once, back in the 90s.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Something I find helpful with alarms is to put the alarm device on the other side of the room so you actually have to get up to go turn it off - it’s easy to hit an alarm and go right back to sleep or to what you were doing before the alarm went off; but If you have to get up and walk over to it, that breaks your concentration enough to snap you out of it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

very laggy responsiveness which seems to be specific to Windows 11.

Uh, no. I run 11 on all 3 of my PCs including my old Surface Pro 3 and they all run fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Did you have to do a reg hack the install on the surface? I thought MS wasn't supporting 11 on the older CPUs? From when I last checked, my Surface Pro 5/2017 isn't supported with a i5-7300u (which is crazy).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No I just installed off a flash drive and it worked fine, receiving updates and all. Still have to wonder how real all this "unsupported" talk is.

When doing the same with my Surface Laptop 3, built in input didn't work and I had to use an external mouse/keyboard during the install phase.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

codo27 posted:

No I just installed off a flash drive and it worked fine, receiving updates and all. Still have to wonder how real all this "unsupported" talk is.

I think it's mostly just an rear end-covering for the future.

One, at some point they probably turn on HVCI by default and people with older CPUs have performance loss. So if people complain that the 2023 11 update makes their apps slow, MS can say that their PC isn't supported in the first place.

Second, it's possible that a future security tech will be even more dependent on MBEC features, to the point where it isn't just less performance but doesn't run on unsupported CPUs. And that's the point where you'd get blocked from an update. I don't think that's likely though.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

codo27 posted:

Uh, no. I run 11 on all 3 of my PCs including my old Surface Pro 3 and they all run fine.

I had weird behavior with open/save dialogs. Turned out i had a pinned lan folder (it wasn't a problem on windows 10)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Klyith posted:

One, at some point they probably turn on HVCI by default and people with older CPUs have performance loss. So if people complain that the 2023 11 update makes their apps slow, MS can say that their PC isn't supported in the first place.

Second, it's possible that a future security tech will be even more dependent on MBEC features, to the point where it isn't just less performance but doesn't run on unsupported CPUs. And that's the point where you'd get blocked from an update. I don't think that's likely though.

i'm still wondering what the problem with kaby lake is, since it supports all that stuff

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Surface Studio 2 also has Kaby Lake and is on the Windows 11 supported list.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Klyith posted:

My tiny no name chinese windows tablet/notebook thing has a J4105 celeron is supported.. but an i5-7 gen Surface Po isn't :saddowns:

One of these days I should just manually try the install. I'm not desperate for the upgrade yet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
My computer has caught the blue dot on the update icon. It's threatening to upgrade to Windows 11. Is there a way to disable this until Windows 12 releases?