Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh, nuts.

Ok follow up, how do I convert all my Lego trains to O-27

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

xzzy posted:

That assembly would be impossible, those 1x1's with the light attachment bit can't be stacked. The instructions seem to have dealt with that by just mushing them together anyways and allowing a gap, but it would never hold very well.

If you could get that assembly to work, it would be extremely weak.
It's not impossible. Those pieces cannot be stacked without leaving a 1/2 plate / 4 LDU gap, sure, but the upper one isn't being used for that purpose. The curved slope bit is decorative, and it should be able to hit that slight ~4 degree angle by the grace of horizontal tolerances. The important part is the studs on either side of the ring holding the front and back of the engine together, which should work - but yes, it'll be weak.

If your parts lack clutch and you can''t get it to work, you can just core the assembly with a 3L or 4L bar piece, since every part on that engine has a cross axle hole through the middle and it'll pass between the ring plates and 1 x 1 studs.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Apologies for lovely lighting: reviving some old space sets and thrilled to have things as complete as they are:

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 21, 2022

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
The LEGO Sonic The Hedgehog set came with a couple of Technic pin connectors at the end, which was basically begging for some kind of expansion. I decided to try to capture Chemical Plant Zone in approximately the same style. I chose this level because it's usually level 2 in the games it appears in, and because it's nearly as iconic as Green Hill.

I had a fun time pinning down as many of Chamical Plant's iconic features and enemies as I could in this relatively short space. It has some simple playable features as well. The Grabber slides back and forth, as does the yellow platform up top, and the blue goo can travel in an arc. It's a pretty stable build as well. I was worried about the weight of the elevated section, so the support lattices that hold it are reinforced top and bottom with Technic.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

That looks really good!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Prophet of Nixon posted:

That looks really good!
Thank you!

One more pic, my badniks with the official two LEGO ones

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Carbohydrates posted:

The LEGO Sonic The Hedgehog set came with a couple of Technic pin connectors at the end, which was basically begging for some kind of expansion. I decided to try to create an expansion that is not only better than the original set, it makes the original set better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That was lego's strategy all along. Make a set so hideous that everyone hates it, but it triggers their creativity anyways and gets them to make a properly designed set.

Keep people from being lord business without them ever noticing!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Awesome, as always.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Carbohydrates posted:

The LEGO Sonic The Hedgehog set came with a couple of Technic pin connectors at the end, which was basically begging for some kind of expansion. I decided to try to capture Chemical Plant Zone in approximately the same style. I chose this level because it's usually level 2 in the games it appears in, and because it's nearly as iconic as Green Hill.

This rocks.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I finished my first big set of the year, the Ninja Ultra Combo Mech. It's a pretty cool build and it looks very nice on display, but it has that same problem a lot of the Ninjago vehicles have where you can't put the figures inside in any logical way with the weapons they come with. Last year's Ultra Sonic Raider solved that problem with a few hidden holder pieces that the weapons could be clipped into but apparently that's not the standard now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Carbohydrates posted:

Thank you!

One more pic, my badniks with the official two LEGO ones

I like your level more, tbh.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Carbohydrates posted:

I had a fun time pinning down as many of Chamical Plant's iconic features and enemies as I could in this relatively short space. It has some simple playable features as well. The Grabber slides back and forth, as does the yellow platform up top, and the blue goo can travel in an arc. It's a pretty stable build as well. I was worried about the weight of the elevated section, so the support lattices that hold it are reinforced top and bottom with Technic.

That is amazing and so much more visually interesting than Green Hill

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Once again angry at how unfathomably good Carbs is at this poo poo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Carbohydrates posted:

That’s incredible, I’d buy that in a heartbeat. Post that to Lego Ideas or whatever and make it happen.

Also I love the Green Hill set (although building out individual pixels sucked).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Carbohydrates posted:

This is amazing. The one thing I'd change is the rings, the original set already does the 3 horizontal, 3 vertical ring set-up so for me it's too similar, maybe one of those large ring clusters that are floating around about the spring pads?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

wow this owns

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

before trying yet another Lego electronics mashup, maybe Lego should consider bringing back Hidden Side

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Mods, please probate Carbohydrates for 30 days so they can't keep posting amazing sets. I keep throwing cash at my screen and it's damaging the screen!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Releasing the beat boxes and bandmates well before the sets was a great way to highlight how bad the app was.

But I don't think it was ever going to be successful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You know, before I started reading this thread I would've mocked and dismissed the entire concept of being good at Lego. I now know better.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Not sure what took me so drat long, but I started messing around with Studio about a week ago after finding a bunch of old space sets that I had bought pieced out back in 2008. I got inspired to re-imagine the classic Blacktron 2 Allied Avenger in a bigger, grander, and more modern sense. I'll post some pics up once I figure out how I want to finish this odd stud width bubble cockpit.

AllisonByProxy posted:

Polished them up and made another new one.

Mini-Mario 64 MOCs

These are so good!! I had just started to design my own versions of Big Boo's Haunt and Whomp's Fortress last night. I was going in pretty different directions already, but dang is it rad to see someone else come up with the same ideas for the set. I'll post some pics up when closer to completion... which could be a while.

Carbohydrates posted:

HOT drat this is seriously insane, A+. Start the countdown until Lego makes their own inferior version!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

No really I want to see that set in real life so please submit it to Lego Ideas or let me do it I don't care either way I will make it my life's goal to see that set realized and sold on Lego's website.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Futanari Damacy posted:

Not sure how one would go about putting a roadway in front of a modular without it being at the same grade. I guess you'd have to add a brick layer on the modular itself to have the curb elevated, else you're stuck scrounging for the discontinued pre-printed road baseplates, and even that's only a tile's width higher. The new roads they're including in the City theme just exacerbate the problem.

I mean, you could probably elevate the modular with something non-Lego (to me personally that would be haram, but it's probably the cheapest solution) however the baseplates of the road and building will not be lined up. Certainly a paradox- the best option would seem to have a roadless inner city that's only for walking, or narrow same-grade streets like some medieval town without gutters.

I'm surprised Lego doesn't do this, but you can buy third party baseplates that are a whole plate thick and are studded to build underneath:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01521RJZA/

Once I get a space other than shelves to build out modulars, my plan is to use these to swap and replace all the baseplates and do some sort of metro system with open brackets running underneath the table

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Carbohydrates posted:

When I glanced at these without reading the message I seriously thought this was some official add on they were releasing, holy hell it’s really good.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Carbohydrates posted:

I decided to try to capture Chemical Plant Zone in approximately the same style. I chose this level because it's usually level 2 in the games it appears in, and because it's nearly as iconic as Green Hill.
I cannot overstate how good this is

you should put it on reddit or somesuch so it can get a billion votes and be friends with this chill fish

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 22, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm surprised Lego doesn't do this, but you can buy third party baseplates that are a whole plate thick and are studded to build underneath:

Lego used to do this, sort of. You could get "plates" that were 1 brick high in a 16x16 size. There were no antistuds though, it was completely hollow underneath.

More modern, the 16x16 technic plates that get used in the mosaic sets have some potential if one wants a purist approach. I assume they're gonna be expensive for a long time. And I think the only color they come in is black.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sivart13 posted:

I cannot overstate how good this is

you should put it on reddit or somesuch so it can get a billion votes and be friends with this chill fish

I did the needful and posted it to Reddit, with full credit to Carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Xenomrph posted:

I did the needful and posted it to Reddit, with full credit to Carbohydrates.
Oh, neat. You won't get much traction posting on a Friday night, though. Reddit success is extremely dependant on the day and time of posting.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I am a Reddit novice, when should I have posted it?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

OSU_Matthew posted:

Once I get a space other than shelves to build out modulars, my plan is to use these to swap and replace all the baseplates and do some sort of metro system with open brackets running underneath the table

I think these have come up in the thread below, and we came to the conclusion that these end up having too much flex for Lego’s liking, especially for the amount of crap you can put on top of them.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Xenomrph posted:

I am a Reddit novice, when should I have posted it?
Weekday mornings typically work best. I was gonna toss it up Monday morning probably.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Carbohydrates posted:

Weekday mornings typically work best. I was gonna toss it up Monday morning probably.

Do it! Your set is amazing and needs to be made into a real set.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So I know it's sacrilege, but: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YRTLC49/

I can't help but be all :swoon: about that even if the nose and cockpit area are "cheats."

I do take issue with them calling it an F-14A but having a D-model's imaging suite.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Carbohydrates posted:

It's not impossible. Those pieces cannot be stacked without leaving a 1/2 plate / 4 LDU gap, sure, but the upper one isn't being used for that purpose. The curved slope bit is decorative, and it should be able to hit that slight ~4 degree angle by the grace of horizontal tolerances. The important part is the studs on either side of the ring holding the front and back of the engine together, which should work - but yes, it'll be weak.

If your parts lack clutch and you can''t get it to work, you can just core the assembly with a 3L or 4L bar piece, since every part on that engine has a cross axle hole through the middle and it'll pass between the ring plates and 1 x 1 studs.

This is brilliant. I will see if I have some extras sitting around and those with a bit of tac perhaps.

Thanks!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

sigher posted:

This is amazing. The one thing I'd change is the rings, the original set already does the 3 horizontal, 3 vertical ring set-up so for me it's too similar, maybe one of those large ring clusters that are floating around about the spring pads?
I wanted to thank you for posting this criticism, because I thought about it a lot. I consulted both of the Sonic 2 stage maps to check ring arrangements, and I played with some ideas, but I'm gonna leave it alone. Most of the ring arrangements in Chemical Plant are single or vertical columns. The ring clusters, when they do appear, are 7+ rings which would take up a lot of space and be too heavy. The only other ring shape that appears in Chemical Plant is a cross, and the transparent supports coming out horizontal to make that shape are unstable and distracting. Ultimately, I think sticking with what I have is the way to go, and the fact that it mirrors the ring arrangement in the official set means the visual weight of the yellow rings is mirrored on both halves, which I'm happy with in a compositional sense. My build is already more dense and complex, so it doesn't need to further overwhelm Green Hill, I think.

Anyway! Guys, thanks so much for the kind words. There's no way this will be on Ideas because it's an IP that LEGO now already owns, so it's not eligible, and I would feel quite bad calling this an original idea when the subject matter and design style were both lifted from a set that came before. I'll make instructions, though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Serious question that maybe is dumb or naive, but have you considered working for Lego? How have other moc creators who have made the jump made it? Does Lego reach out to folks, or do people just apply? Do you feel like you're objectively good enough that it would be a reasonable hope? (This thread is literally my only exposure to Lego, so I'm not sure what the 'competition' looks like).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Carbohydrates posted:

I wanted to thank you for posting this criticism, because I thought about it a lot. I consulted both of the Sonic 2 stage maps to check ring arrangements, and I played with some ideas, but I'm gonna leave it alone. Most of the ring arrangements in Chemical Plant are single or vertical columns. The ring clusters, when they do appear, are 7+ rings which would take up a lot of space and be too heavy. The only other ring shape that appears in Chemical Plant is a cross, and the transparent supports coming out horizontal to make that shape are unstable and distracting. Ultimately, I think sticking with what I have is the way to go, and the fact that it mirrors the ring arrangement in the official set means the visual weight of the yellow rings is mirrored on both halves, which I'm happy with in a compositional sense. My build is already more dense and complex, so it doesn't need to further overwhelm Green Hill, I think.

Anyway! Guys, thanks so much for the kind words. There's no way this will be on Ideas because it's an IP that LEGO now already owns, so it's not eligible, and I would feel quite bad calling this an original idea when the subject matter and design style were both lifted from a set that came before. I'll make instructions, though.

How much do you think it would cost to buy the pieces individually and make the set ourselves?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Slugworth posted:

Serious question that maybe is dumb or naive, but have you considered working for Lego? How have other moc creators who have made the jump made it? Does Lego reach out to folks, or do people just apply? Do you feel like you're objectively good enough that it would be a reasonable hope? (This thread is literally my only exposure to Lego, so I'm not sure what the 'competition' looks like).

owing to the inherent evil of corporations, the guy who ripped off his mustang would probably end up as his boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Slugworth posted:

Fun questions!

1) Yeah, I have considered working for LEGO. The big obstacle is that my partner doesn't want to move to Denmark, and all LEGO designers work from Billund. Also, I don't have any relevant educational background (engineering, toy design, etc) so the experience/education side of my resume would purely be my own MOC work. This is not an impossible path, but it is a more difficult one.

2) How have other creators made it? The same way anyone else does. One of the more recent designers to get hired by LEGO, Chris McVeigh, was a well known community figure and popular creator before he was hired. He described the process as the same as applying for any other job. He saw the opening, applied, interviewed, and was hired. LEGO does not, as far as I know, reach out to folks like this to try to hire them.

3) Do I feel like I'm objectively good enough? I think so. It's not just about being "good" though, because there are an infinite number of creators than me that are far better by anything resembling an objective metric. I think what helps me is my style. I tend to build pretty clean and I lean toward caricature over absolute perfect detail, which makes my stuff feel more approachably "LEGO" I guess. I also work well with others and I feel like I take criticism well and so on, and teamwork skills like that are far more important than just building things well.

If this thread is your only exposure to LEGO, you're missing out on an absolute world of amazing talent. SA (and Reddit) are like bubbles where you only get glimpses of the greater LEGO community if you don't venture outside of them. I feel like I'm a pretty good builder, but I'm absolutely not one of the legendary greats that we have kicking around. I'll make a post soon spotlighting some amazing people on flickr.