Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

construction fencing is a permanent feature now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

redbrouw posted:

Yeah I got a feeling like it's the opening to a very depressing millennial mid life crisis cancon comedy set in Winnipeg called Flat Earth.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Karach posted:

we're a simple folk. we just need a place to hold the occasional Magic: The Gathering tournament and get mini-donuts.

That mall was actually torn down... oh hell, probably over a decade ago now. There's a stand-alone Sobeys and a Dollarama/Peavymart combo there now.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Winnipeg is the best city in Canada. If you live in a bigger city lmao, a smaller one my condolences.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I am going to baked expectations to drown my sorrow in cake over all this disparaging about my beautiful, racist city.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
well with half a motto like "unum cum", what's not to like

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Suplex Liberace posted:

Winnipeg is the best city in Canada. If you live in a bigger city lmao, a smaller one my condolences.

do a general strike again

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I am going to baked expectations to drown my sorrow in cake over all this disparaging about my beautiful, racist city.

used to work there.

don't eat there.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Randalor posted:

That mall was actually torn down... oh hell, probably over a decade ago now. There's a stand-alone Sobeys and a Dollarama/Peavymart combo there now.

2014 I think.

It's actually dope having a Peavey Mart on the south end of the city. too bad they have no idea how to keep their shelves stocked.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

There's really nothing new under the sun.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Karach posted:

used to work there.

don't eat there.

what was the issue that prevented any two slices from the same cake being equally sized?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
speaking of western canada depression, i just had to look up a bar in calgary for a client project and wound up on their facebook page, and oh my god it is incredible. beyond them getting roasted on their own page, every picture looks like the worst run down semi-rural southern ontario "night spot". i don't know how to effectively communicate the despair showcased in those photos.

i take it between edmonton and calgary, edmonton is the good one.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

infernal machines posted:

speaking of western canada depression, i just had to look up a bar in calgary for a client project and wound up on their facebook page, and oh my god it is incredible. beyond them getting roasted on their own page, every picture looks like the worst run down semi-rural southern ontario "night spot". i don't know how to effectively communicate the despair showcased in those photos.

i take it between edmonton and calgary, edmonton is the good one.

LOL

Also which bar?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there is no way i can name it because of my association with them

everyone in the pictures looks like the result of a five generations of a very shallow gene pool seeded by western europeans*. it's like the worst parts of ontario, but in what is i assume a major city

*obviously this isn't a personal failing or anything, they can't help it, it's just very noticeable

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol people love to trot out the inbred jokes

make fun of people for being dicks, not for how they look. how much of that is the result of being fuckin poor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

again, the association is with places i've been to in rural ontario where that is literally the case. towns with 100 people and eight last names. it happens, i'm not making fun of them for looking the way they do, i'm expressing surprise that there are large groups of people who look that way in a major urban centre

take this as "these white people all look like they could be family"

i've never been to calgary, maybe that's just how calgary looks.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Jan 21, 2022

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
im from edmonton and i have to break it to you that edmonton is not the good one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh dear.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

on further inspection it appears that every city in this god forsaken country is crap

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

what was the issue that prevented any two slices from the same cake being equally sized?

owner is a truly vile person. she runs through staff faster than our province runs through premiers. since the staff cycles so frequently, nobody bothers training anybody. I suspect that staff also give extra big slices to their friends and favourite customers.

those cakes can also be pretty stale, which is egregious given the price she charges for them.

I did 2 weeks as a line cook. it was a bait and switch - they promised a higher wage after the "trial" period, but didn't actually deliver. no big loss - the kitchen is loving nasty, there are no proper recipes or procedures, and scheduling seemed to be just random nonsense.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Karach posted:

owner is a truly vile person. she runs through staff faster than our province runs through premiers. since the staff cycles so frequently, nobody bothers training anybody. I suspect that staff also give extra big slices to their friends and favourite customers.

those cakes can also be pretty stale, which is egregious given the price she charges for them.

I did 2 weeks as a line cook. it was a bait and switch - they promised a higher wage after the "trial" period, but didn't actually deliver. no big loss - the kitchen is loving nasty, there are no proper recipes or procedures, and scheduling seemed to be just random nonsense.

*Hurls chocolate and orange cake through window in solidarity*

...but I'd really like some orange and chocolate cake.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

*Hurls chocolate and orange cake through window in solidarity*

...but I'd really like some orange and chocolate cake.

I'd like to introduce you to a little place called S².

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
goodies is the superior winnipeg bakery

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Karach posted:

I'd like to introduce you to a little place called S².

Sophon, Soveren and Solas sound like cool dudes.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
one good thing happened in winnipeg this last week: the worst restaurant in the city shut its doors (blondies). everything about that place was nasty.

Karach posted:

fair enough. I do love the lemon almond torte

DariusLikewise posted:

goodies is the superior winnipeg bakery

no way. gunns or bust

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Karach posted:

this is incredibly surprising considering osbourne village only exists for rich white kids to move to and feel like they are in new york and roughing it or whatever

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

jsoh posted:

im from edmonton and i have to break it to you that edmonton is not the good one

This is true, but Calgary isn't the good one either.

Edmonton is very nice in August* though, so I will give it the edge,

*maybe not anymore lol, lmao

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DariusLikewise posted:

this is incredibly surprising considering osbourne village only exists for rich white kids to move to and feel like they are in new york and roughing it or whatever

osborne is a gentrified mess of a neighbourhood now. half the storefronts on the main drag are empty or filled with poo poo because the rents are absurd. they got rid of an awesome vietnamese restaurant (Vi-Ann) so they could build an extra big Shopper's Drug Mart for basically no reason. the zoo/ozzie's is gone and is now a literal hole in the ground. rent also used to be very affordable on river/stradbrook. now it's all bullshit overpriced condos.

wasn't it named like Canada's coolest neighbourhood at one point or something? not no more it ain't.

and for fancy pants, even Segovia is gone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FormaldehydeSon posted:

on further inspection it appears that every city in this god forsaken country is crap

lol beat me to it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Battlegroup in the Baltic went into high readiness today. I think it’s in the news now, but there’s some other stuff going on too.

Just lol if our Deputy PM’s personal mission of collaborator revenge gets dragged into the Ukraine.

e: I just saw we loaned Kiev $120M today. So we can pay for that, just not more CERB. 👍🇺🇦🎖

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
let russia put the Russian empire back togeather who cares why is it our problem

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Rutibex posted:

let russia put the Russian empire back togeather who cares why is it our problem

because you cant lose the ukrainian nazi vote

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Frosted Flake posted:

e: I just saw we loaned Kiev $120M today. So we can pay for that, just not more CERB. 👍🇺🇦🎖

drat straight gimme my $3

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Freeland is going to be our prime minister one day and she needs to be able to count on her core constituency.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

jsoh posted:

because you cant lose the ukrainian nazi vote

Which was created in the first place to kill the left in the prairies at the start of the Cold War

I still can’t believe they have the SS Galician Division monument and want the NCC to build them a monument to Collaborators in Ottawa lol

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Lostconfused posted:

Freeland is going to be our prime minister one day and she needs to be able to count on her core constituency.

Nazis?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i miss reading methanar's opinions on nazis and genocides

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

yes

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU