Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Aftermarket Stereo Battery Drain Question!

Hey folks - 2008 Honda Civic LX

Upgraded the dash with a Scosche Double Din dash and put in an ATOTO F7 EX (the EX has wireless carplay and android auto) stereo.

I also have an ATOTO 720p reverse cam that I'm going to install so I went ahead and ran the wires to the unit since I had everything out.

The connectors the cam connects to the stereo are:
RC In (yellow video)
Red ACC power wire to ACC wire on back of unit (that is also connected to ACC wire on stereo adapter - so this one has 3 wires into one screw nut)
And then a pink trigger wire to the head unit (goes from reverse light power wire to ATOTO unit - just to say "hey we're in reverse! show the cam!")

I haven't installed the cam yet (weather) but will soon. SO these cables are just hanging out.

The rest of the install went fine.

Powered up and got everything going and yay great.

Except two things:
Back Right speaker doesn't work (I've checked the connection - the right wires are connected but maybe they contact sucks?)
Battery drained over night.

Quick searches is a pretty obvious problem - parasitic battery draw.

I have a multimeter - but have never used it. Is there a quick way to see which wire is pulling the power on my head unit?

I've watched a lot of "find the battery drain" videos but they're always starting from "have no idea what it is?" and then go into stuff I might not need.

I'm like 99.9% sure it's the radio of course, so I didn't know if there's a way for me to identify specifically which part of the radio is doing it with the multimeter.

Thanks!

EDIT: One addendum. Here's the car behavior. Lights work fine and even after a few days I can power it on and listen to the radio. But it won't crank until I jump it off with my wife's car.

Seems like if the battery was draining hard enough to not crank overnight, after a few more days there'd be *no* battery power. But obviously I can be wrong about that given my novice experience.

How old is the battery? You could be chasing your tail when its just a coincidence and the battery is spanked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Could be. It's prob a few years old.

Small update. The back right speaker is prob just busted. Still doesn't work.

I did crimp hookups for everything and t spliced that camera acc hookup into it. Gonna see if I can go ahead and run the camera wires and at least hook it up to see if it works

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BonoMan posted:

t spliced

Noooooooo

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
I got an Android auto head unit with a backup camera and I would like to install it in my 2003 Tacoma but I am wondering if there is a better way to tap into the harness besides the vampire taps that crutch field supplied. Are they terrible?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kick-Puncher posted:

I got an Android auto head unit with a backup camera and I would like to install it in my 2003 Tacoma but I am wondering if there is a better way to tap into the harness besides the vampire taps that crutch field supplied. Are they terrible?

The posi tap?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ok so what are my options here? Besides soldering?

Edit: the camera works fine with the T Tap so I'm gonna leave it

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 21, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You can get three wires into a butt crimp easily. Worst case if they're on the large side already is you jump up to the next size crimp.

Vampire / T-taps can work but if you ever have a problem with power there, that's the first thing I'd check.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Gotcha. I only had some 18 gauge crimps and they wouldn't fit but I did have some t taps that came with some other kit so that's why I used those.

Luckily though it's the most accessible part so I can easily replace if it gets flaky.

I'm guessing Crutchfield has some stock in Posi Taps/Posi Locks because they pimp them hard in every video.

But they are way too expensive. Like $10 for a 5 pack

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So battery dead again this morning. No surprise I guess.

So far I have tested the alternator and it's fine. Charging battery now. Will test parasitic draw and battery health next. Then fuses. Then just pushing my car off a quarry cliff.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

your car's existing wiring is almost 100% crimped, only sinners solder

Factory wires are crimped because crimping is easy for machines and idiots unskilled persons, and adequate for the purpose.

BonoMan posted:

Small update. The back right speaker is prob just busted. Still doesn't work.

Swap the speakers to check.

BonoMan posted:

So battery dead again this morning. No surprise I guess.

So far I have tested the alternator and it's fine. Charging battery now. Will test parasitic draw and battery health next. Then fuses. Then just pushing my car off a quarry cliff.

Unplug the harness from the radio and see if the issue goes away. Just live without a radio a few days, like your primitive ancestors.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Darchangel posted:

Unplug the harness from the radio and see if the issue goes away. Just live without a radio a few days, like your primitive ancestors.

Yeah this is my next step.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

NASA says to crimp!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

NASA says to crimp!

You trust a governmental agency to do things right?
I kid. Crimping is fine if done properly. I find soldering to be neater and take less space.

Edit: FWIW, I use soldering for splices. End terminals I usually use crimps.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ok unplugged and recharging it again.

I left it charging for about 2 hours. Read 14.5 while running (thanks alternator) and then 12.6 when I turned it off.

I checked for a parasitic draw and was getting a reading of 300-800 milliamps that would bounce all around that range.

Within minutes of checking draw, reconnecting and restarting... couldn't crank. *Minutes*

Read the battery - it was reading about 12.4 steady.

I've unplugged the radio and am recharging (via running the car).

I mean even if there *is* a parasitic draw, surely it wouldn't draw that fast right? Especially when it wasn't even getting over an amp?

I saw one weird issue with body ground being bad and engine couldn't crank.

But if I do jump the car off, run it for a while, shut it down and immediately restart... it cranks.

Just not for if I leave it longer than 5-10 minutes.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I trust NASA engineers to research and document stuff like this :-) https://nepp.nasa.gov/files/27631/NSTD87394A.pdf

My trust in the rest of the apparatus that ensures it gets done is ever so slightly lower.

Actually… were you the one that initially linked this / as similar paper? I remember I learned about it from someone here.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Ok unplugged and recharging it again.

I left it charging for about 2 hours. Read 14.5 while running (thanks alternator) and then 12.6 when I turned it off.

I checked for a parasitic draw and was getting a reading of 300-800 milliamps that would bounce all around that range.

Within minutes of checking draw, reconnecting and restarting... couldn't crank. *Minutes*

Read the battery - it was reading about 12.4 steady.

I've unplugged the radio and am recharging (via running the car).

I mean even if there *is* a parasitic draw, surely it wouldn't draw that fast right? Especially when it wasn't even getting over an amp?

I saw one weird issue with body ground being bad and engine couldn't crank.

But if I do jump the car off, run it for a while, shut it down and immediately restart... it cranks.

Just not for if I leave it longer than 5-10 minutes.

Your battery is toast it sounds like. Tho two hours of charging isn’t much, leave it overnight. Or take it to autozone for their free fast charging / battery testing service.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah my vote is still bad battery.

Also you can't check parasitic draw immediately, you need to give the modules some time to go to sleep. (don't open any doors or touch the ignition etc) Can take 5-15 minutes or more depending on the car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I trust NASA engineers to research and document stuff like this :-) https://nepp.nasa.gov/files/27631/NSTD87394A.pdf

My trust in the rest of the apparatus that ensures it gets done is ever so slightly lower.

Actually… were you the one that initially linked this / as similar paper? I remember I learned about it from someone here.

I didn’t, but pretty sure someone here did last time we fought about it.

Edit: while you’re following NASA guidelines for your mission critical spaceship of an automobile, you should also remember to do all your wiring with Teflon jacketed white wire, with circuit number markers, rather than that inferior multicolor stuff, and have all your parts serialized with appropriate paperwork. I’m being facetious

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 21, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thirding bad battery. While I agree that it wasn't a complete parasitic draw test, if the peak load was 800mA and it only took a matter of minutes to go from "can crank" to "can't crank", that battery is hosed and I'm amazed it can crank in the first place.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Are you using an in-line ammeter between the positive post and the cable? You cannot crank during this as it will probably nuke your fuse

800mA is a lot of draw with the key off. Start pulling fuses one by one until you notice which circuit has the largest draw. Figure out what is on that circuit by unplugging things one at a time.

Older cars see about 50mA with key off, and last I checked (2000s) over 250mA is too much for a battery to last. Your battery may not be ideal, but it's unlikely that it is causing this problem, as it started after you hosed with the wiring.

Edit: and make sure you turn off the interior lights first. Might need to hold the door switch closed, or ground it if it's easy enough to pull out.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 21, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Thirding bad battery. While I agree that it wasn't a complete parasitic draw test, if the peak load was 800mA and it only took a matter of minutes to go from "can crank" to "can't crank", that battery is hosed and I'm amazed it can crank in the first place.

Thanks for all the responses (just not quoting them all).

So I'm pretty sure it's the battery too.

I'm also trying to do this all out in the freezing cold (it's about to snow) and I'm probably hurrying too fast.

So if the battery is reading 12.4 at rest but won't crank... are we still sure it's the battery? Shouldn't 12.4 be enough to crank? I'm tired so I'm probably not thinking straight.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nocheez posted:

Are you using an in-line ammeter between the positive post and the cable? You cannot crank during this as it will probably nuke your fuse

800mA is a lot of draw with the key off. Start pulling fuses one by one until you notice which circuit has the largest draw. Figure out what is on that circuit by unplugging things one at a time.

Older cars see about 50mA with key off, and last I checked (2000s) over 250mA is too much for a battery to last. Your battery may not be ideal, but it's unlikely that it is causing this problem, as it started after you hosed with the wiring.

I have to redo my parasitic draw test because

a.) I didn't wait enough for it to rest like a previous poster said and

b.) I noticed a door was cracked so... gently caress me. (refer back to me being "tired and cold and trying to do this out in the freezing cold before the snow comes").

I'm taking a breather right now to reset my brain. Lol. It shouldn't be this hard! We also have three insane screaming kids in our house (two are mine and one is the neighbor's).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BonoMan posted:

So if the battery is reading 12.4 at rest but won't crank... are we still sure it's the battery? Shouldn't 12.4 be enough to crank? I'm tired so I'm probably not thinking straight.

Not necessarily. Ideally you'd see what voltage it stays at while cranking (or attempting to crank). I'd bet it's dipping deep into single digits under load.

Cranking is a huge load on a battery, it's very common for batteries to fail in such a way where they can still deliver ~12V with light loads but fall on their face when trying to feed a starter motor.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
This was my job like 20 years ago, so I'm a bit rusty but you're on the right track. Take a breather and tackle it with a fresh head. Bring a toy and "rubber ducky" the problem. Explaining it out loud can help you think through the problem rationally.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not necessarily. Ideally you'd see what voltage it stays at while cranking (or attempting to crank). I'd bet it's dipping deep into single digits under load.

Cranking is a huge load on a battery, it's very common for batteries to fail in such a way where they can still deliver ~12V with light loads but fall on their face when trying to feed a starter motor.

Oh yeah I remember seeing this on a YT video and forgot to test it. I'll do it just to see what it says

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ok yeah with no stereo attached it reads 12.8....

Then I attempted to crank it and it dips to 5 lol.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That battery is ready for the ocean. The stereo install issues may or may not have anything to do with it, but you can't conclusively test anything else out with a bad battery.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
New battery who dis?

Of course my battery was 10 days out or warranty. Of course. Still got $90 off a new one. Car cranks fine.

The snow has started so I'll plug the stereo and cam back up later.

Now I drink.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Alright finalized the backup cam install, got everything hooked back up to the new battery... Now we wait.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So, if you guys had to choose one of the dozens of so of android units on amazon that freeze and reboot and can only update firmware if you upload it to the inside of an uncracked egg that sell between $50-$200, which would you go with? I got a big ol honkin car now and want something with a rear view cam, but I am also a big honkin cheapo.

Heres a filtered amazon list.

This ones pretty cool. Has a jet on it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Double din or single? The hikitty or some poo poo is apparently the players of $100 double din car play android poo poo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

everdave posted:

Double din or single? The hikitty or some poo poo is apparently the players of $100 double din car play android poo poo.
I can do double, I just liked the single din lil jet. :3

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Cage posted:

I can do double, I just liked the single din lil jet. :3

The ATOTO F7 EX I got is pretty awesome once I got all my battery issues sorted out. Think I got it for $230?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cage posted:

So, if you guys had to choose one of the dozens of so of android units on amazon that freeze and reboot and can only update firmware if you upload it to the inside of an uncracked egg that sell between $50-$200, which would you go with? I got a big ol honkin car now and want something with a rear view cam, but I am also a big honkin cheapo.

Heres a filtered amazon list.

This ones pretty cool. Has a jet on it.

I have the Atoto 10 inch. It's awesome; all the Atoto units have Carplay and Android Auto, and a backup cam input.

Atoto also is one of those companies who will try to bribe you for a better review so if you find that objectionable or exploitable, know that. They reached out to say they would exchange the 10" unit for the 7" I bought when I moaned in the review that I regretted my choice but couldn't exchange due to the sale being gone on both... Provided I changed my review to 5 stars.

I'm easily bought.

ATOTO F7 Double Din Car Stereo Android Auto & CarPlay 10.1 Inch Touchscreen in-Dash Navigation with Bluetooth, Mirror Link, HD Rearview Input, Quick Charge, USB/SD(Up to 2TB) F7G211SE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T8Z2MVP/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_G7JEFY1X7KRW8NKXMK0M

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 28, 2022

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've been shopping for one, in a perfect world I want a single DIN full face touchscreen with a volume knob (basically just what you posted) but they're all sub-$100 and that scares me. I'll pay more for reliability and there are a few brands that have at least some youtubers claiming they're decent. Joying and Atoto are two of those brands.

I'm probably about to pull the trigger on this Joying 8.8" widescreen even though it has several negative reviews and is a lot more expensive than what you're talking about. I like it because it allows me to mount the face off center, and is narrow enough top to bottom that it shouldn't interfere with my vents or my sunglasses pocket. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K36DPLH/?coliid=I3FOE4TPB8AC9N&colid=FLM6O78WZFQ5&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Incidentally I just built out the output side of the stereo in my daily driver wagon, I bought an Alpine 5 channel amp that's rated at 40w for each of the 4 door speakers and 300w at 2 ohm for the subwoofer, and it is unbelievably loud and clean. I paired it with Polk 6.5" components and Sundown Audio's cheapest 12" subwoofer and it is just ridiculous. Like yeah it's not popping my door frames or windshield loose but if I run it at full volume I will go deaf, and it has zero distortion until well beyond comfort. So for actual listening to music it's fantastic. I just hope my tint is dark enough to keep it from getting stolen. I did put the sub in with a plug on the wires so I can yank it out in a hurry if I know I'm going to be parking somewhere sketchy.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 28, 2022

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
drat. DSP poo poo is so accessible and good now it's actually pretty insane. I bought a "restocked" (aka still sealed and brand new??) Dayton UMM-6 measurement mic for $45 and did some measurement in my car. I took those and plopped them into Room EQ Wizard to generate response and phase data to target, exported that into RePhase to generate linear phase filters, and then threw the resulting impulse response into Viper4Android's convolver.

I spent some time listening to music while switching it off and on and I'm very impressed. It just sounds like music now instead of speakers crammed in the worst possible positions "trying" to play music. With some of those huge resonance peaks squished it's so much clearer and easier to pick out every instrument.

I did the same with my PC, throwing the filters into Equalizer APO so they would apply to all sources, and laughed when it made my old Sony bookshelf speakers sound just like my car, in a good and very literal way. Then I used REW again to do impedance measurements on an old sub to model a proper enclosure for it for my PC, and boom, awesome.

I guess I may be kind of late on the train here. I actually had a Pioneer Premier 920R car deck, and a Denon something home receiver that had time alignment and auto-eq poo poo built in. I spent so much time trying to get them to do what I wanted, but it always ended up sounding kind of poo poo, and you couldn't actually adjust the EQ yourself afterwards.

The stuff you can do now is a whole different level, and it's basically free (besides the mic) with some caveats. You do lose a little overall output since you're going to be killing peaks and not boosting dips. Some of the software involved is kinda poo poo and not the most friendly your first time. Using this type of filtering does have a latency penalty, but depending on your goals it can be very low. I kept the taps low on my PC's filters and only gain like 7ms, so I can just apply it to everything, but if you want to do more complicated filters accurately, especially at lower frequencies, this could get much much longer. Lastly, you need something that can do it. Computers are fine, android works but it's jank as poo poo and might require being rooted, apple stuff is prob fine but I don't have any so idk.

Sorry, this is much longer than I intended. If you haven't hosed with modern DSP/measurement stuff you really should. It's great.

E: You CAN do offline convolving and apply it to all your music before hand if you don't have any other option, but that kind of sucks.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 30, 2022

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

For wiring in a Bluetooth adapter into a head unit, typically where should power be spliced? The switched 12V ignition power to the back of the head unit? The cigarette lighter power assuming it's switched 12V?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd go with whichever is more convenient to get at for where the adapter is being placed / how it's being connected to the head unit.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Lowclock posted:

drat. DSP poo poo is so accessible and good now it's actually pretty insane. I bought a "restocked" (aka still sealed and brand new??) Dayton UMM-6 measurement mic for $45 and did some measurement in my car. I took those and plopped them into Room EQ Wizard to generate response and phase data to target, exported that into RePhase to generate linear phase filters, and then threw the resulting impulse response into Viper4Android's convolver.

I spent some time listening to music while switching it off and on and I'm very impressed. It just sounds like music now instead of speakers crammed in the worst possible positions "trying" to play music. With some of those huge resonance peaks squished it's so much clearer and easier to pick out every instrument.

I did the same with my PC, throwing the filters into Equalizer APO so they would apply to all sources, and laughed when it made my old Sony bookshelf speakers sound just like my car, in a good and very literal way. Then I used REW again to do impedance measurements on an old sub to model a proper enclosure for it for my PC, and boom, awesome.

I guess I may be kind of late on the train here. I actually had a Pioneer Premier 920R car deck, and a Denon something home receiver that had time alignment and auto-eq poo poo built in. I spent so much time trying to get them to do what I wanted, but it always ended up sounding kind of poo poo, and you couldn't actually adjust the EQ yourself afterwards.

The stuff you can do now is a whole different level, and it's basically free (besides the mic) with some caveats. You do lose a little overall output since you're going to be killing peaks and not boosting dips. Some of the software involved is kinda poo poo and not the most friendly your first time. Using this type of filtering does have a latency penalty, but depending on your goals it can be very low. I kept the taps low on my PC's filters and only gain like 7ms, so I can just apply it to everything, but if you want to do more complicated filters accurately, especially at lower frequencies, this could get much much longer. Lastly, you need something that can do it. Computers are fine, android works but it's jank as poo poo and might require being rooted, apple stuff is prob fine but I don't have any so idk.

Sorry, this is much longer than I intended. If you haven't hosed with modern DSP/measurement stuff you really should. It's great.

E: You CAN do offline convolving and apply it to all your music before hand if you don't have any other option, but that kind of sucks.

Almost empty-quoting this, because its so amazing.

I have a MiniDSP with Dirac Live in my living room and what it does is nothing short of amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

McTinkerson posted:

For wiring in a Bluetooth adapter into a head unit, typically where should power be spliced? The switched 12V ignition power to the back of the head unit? The cigarette lighter power assuming it's switched 12V?
Those are probably the same thing. It doesn't really matter anyways. Ideally it should share the ground with your head unit. Some cars have different switched 12v sources that do or don't turn off while cranking the starter, but these things boot and connect super fast now, and I love how cheerfully that Asian lady says Co~NEC~ted!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Almost empty-quoting this, because its so amazing.

I have a MiniDSP with Dirac Live in my living room and what it does is nothing short of amazing.
Nice. I almost bought one of their mics but they wanted $27 for shipping to the US.

If someone asked me what kind of gear to get for their car I'd probably say a microphone. "Audiophiles" in shambles.