Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Ruggan posted:

please bike and recycle, you make a difference

why not, let's just speed this whole thing up and get the apocalypse over with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
If the collapse comes bikes will be back in a big way

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Yeah, good for him. Money can be tempting but it’s nice to see someone do the right thing. It probably helps that he had an emotional attachment to the natural state of it - what with bringing his family camping there (which sounds awesome).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

May you live in interesting times

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Enfys posted:

We could be doing interesting things that come back to haunt us like this, but instead we just shred our brain cells with microplastics and throw millions of tires into the ocean to form garbage reefs
i am really distressed by how boring our downfall is. i was expecting a weird and exciting demise of the human psyche, not for us all to go out in an addled haze of superhero movies and funko pops

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

an egg posted:

what if we engineered a carnivorous hamster that hunts in packs

an egg posted:

i am really distressed by how boring our downfall is. i was expecting a weird and exciting demise of the human psyche, not for us all to go out in an addled haze of superhero movies and funko pops
there's still time
https://i.imgur.com/EOQn2Hl.mp4

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

this headline and the article are both kind of a mischaracterization of the situation: it's not that the CCS process itself is emitting more than it's capturing (guarantee you it's not), it's that its only capturing 48% of the emissions it's supposed to be capturing (those generated by the hydrogen plant), and 39% of the overall process emissions (including emissions it's not designed to capture, including those associated with generating electricity to power the CCS process)

it's a bit of a distinction without a difference but i want the thread to be able to lol at it with more sophistication than vice can bring to the table

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

mediaphage posted:

wild how my views on this have changed over time lol. i don't think id want to live on a farm planet without books or whatever, but.

Yeah when I first watched it I found it so disturbing but now....ehhhh probably for the best really

I was recently thinking about another episode where they were arguing that humanity deserves to be spared because while people can be terrible they can also be good. At the time I didn't find the pro-humanity argument very persuasive but you know, survival is important and sure there's plenty of hope for the future.

Now I'm just sad thinking how much more destruction and death we've caused since that episode aired.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/PlanktonPundit/status/1482080161151475713

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

this headline and the article are both kind of a mischaracterization of the situation: it's not that the CCS process itself is emitting more than it's capturing (guarantee you it's not), it's that its only capturing 48% of the emissions it's supposed to be capturing (those generated by the hydrogen plant), and 39% of the overall process emissions (including emissions it's not designed to capture, including those associated with generating electricity to power the CCS process)

it's a bit of a distinction without a difference but i want the thread to be able to lol at it with more sophistication than vice can bring to the table

its kinda meaningless to slice out the CCS process without accounting for the system effects.

like take enhanced oil recovery, sure the part of the process that is "CCS" is totally carbon negative, but that's ignoring the fact that the other side of the oil field is pumping out more oil because that co2 was injected. its making things worse, but if we only look at the co2 injection, sure it looks great.

or on power plants, one of the biggest impacts of a CCS system is the parasitic load, that is you have to burn 2-3x as much coal or gas just to power the CCS process and still output the same amount of electricity. so again, a CCS system that captures 50% might seem like an improvement, but not if it triples the amount of fossil fuels burned.

and with "blue hydrogen" in particular, the premise is exactly that these CCS facilities make it ok to consume fossil fuels in the form of hydrogen. the fact these facilities fail to do so is important and pointing out that the CCS system isn't where the emissions is coming from is missing the point that this CCS system exists only to further the consumption of fossil fuels.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
genuinely can't remember if someone recommended it in here or if I came across it independently but I've been reading Spillover by David Quammen about zoonosis (diseases that leap from animals to humans)

he acknowledges that global warming will speed up disease which i knew but uh, lmao

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Something that has come up a lot recently in thread is a bit of "ZOMG How can I Prepare for Disaster XYZ?!?.

I came across this Crisis Risk Assessment exercise on one of my Deep Adaptation groups, which I think will help fellow goons better figure out how to align themselves with resilience against poo poo like the PNW Heat Dome or the Texas Ice Storm last year.

It's a good exercise, I encourage anxious goons to go through it.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Spime Wrangler posted:

what? it sounds like you’re saying that if you only consider emissions generated physically within the reformer, they’re capturing 48%, in which case they are literally emitting more than they capture by 4% of their process throughput.

Whether the whole process is dumb or not doesn’t hinge on that fact though

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
two skeletons capture carbon in a bar

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

pygmy tyrant posted:

what? it sounds like you’re saying that if you only consider emissions generated physically within the reformer, they’re capturing 48%, in which case they are literally emitting more than they capture by 4% of their process throughput.

Whether the whole process is dumb or not doesn’t hinge on that fact though

i'm splitting hairs by taking issue with vice calling it a "ccs plant" when it's a hydrogen plant with a ccs system.

the article wasn't clear on which parts of the process were emitting what, and without a careful reading made it sound like the ccs process itself was emitting more than it captured. which would be funny, but wrong, and wouldn't give folks in this thread as strong an argument against CCS as the truth: that it's narrowly effective but broadly counterproductive technology used as greenwashing to support continued fossil fuel use.

the net sequestration, all-in, appears to be 39% for the hydrodgen-ccs combined process (cradle-to-gate). which should mean that the hydrogen they produce has a 39% lower CO2-derived GWP per btu than it would have without ccs.

I wanted to corroborate that estimate so here's a recent study showing just how bad it really is. the CO2 reduction numbers hold up but holy gently caress the overall GWP is not looking good.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ese3.956

hydrogen is loving garbage

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

i'm splitting hairs by taking issue with vice calling it a "ccs plant" when it's a hydrogen plant with a ccs system.

the article wasn't clear on which parts of the process were emitting what, and without a careful reading made it sound like the ccs process itself was emitting more than it captured. which would be funny, but wrong, and wouldn't give folks in this thread as strong an argument against CCS as the truth: that it's narrowly effective but broadly counterproductive technology used as greenwashing to support continued fossil fuel use.

the net sequestration, all-in, appears to be 39% for the hydrodgen-ccs combined process (cradle-to-gate). which should mean that the hydrogen they produce has a 39% lower CO2-derived GWP per btu than it would have without ccs.

I wanted to corroborate that estimate so here's a recent study showing just how bad it really is. the CO2 reduction numbers hold up but holy gently caress the overall GWP is not looking good.

You’re assuming 0 energy costs for operating the CCS system. This is exactly what I’m talking about. You can’t assume 39% capture means 39% fewer emissions because of system impacts like the energy costs of the CCS system itself.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

That 39% value comes from page 5 of "Hydrogen's Hidden Emissions," the report referenced in the article, and explicitly includes "Carbon emissions from the energy used to power the CCS system."

I did make a mistake though because it also includes methane emissions. So the HHE report actually reflects better on the technology than the Howarth and Jacobsen article I linked, which shows only a 9% overall reduction in emissions per unit hydrogen produced.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

TIL there's an island called South Georgia in between South America and Anarctica

https://weather.com/news/climate/video/famous-iceberg-drops-152-billion-tons-of-freshwater-as-it-melts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Spime Wrangler posted:

yeah there was another study a while back showing what this graph does, which was that it's worse than just straight burning the loving ch4 lol. or was that this study and it's just coming back around again?

munce
Oct 23, 2010

SG1 directors commentary rules and you should watch/listen to it if you haven't already.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

munce posted:

SG1 directors commentary rules and you should watch/listen to it if you haven't already.

unrelated but the most underrated commentary tracks by far are the simpsons. especially the early years, they have matt groening in there, too. extremely easy to just rewatch the first 5 years or whatever and just listen to them talk. tons of inside baseball but lots of good stories too

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

and diesel was right there the whole time

you FOOLS you UTTER FOOLS

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Spime Wrangler posted:

how dare you bring lifecycle assessment analysis into this thread!!!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hubbert posted:

hey man i love your telescope

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

maybe if we give them a couple of billion years they'll become sentient

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mistermojo posted:

They'll have all the time in the world.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Hubbert posted:

its like accounting but the rules are made up and the results don't matter!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mediaphage posted:

hey man i love your telescope

thanks everyone always wants to take a peak

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

this hosed rear end crazy world, drat

never felt better about neglecting my 401k

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Egg Moron posted:

this hosed rear end crazy world, drat

never felt better about neglecting my 401k

Put in the max that your company will match and cash it out when you need something, like a bed or new used car because your 02 focus with 244k miles is no longer functional

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

ah but co2 is good for plants :viggo:

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

mistermojo posted:

Would be nice if they figured out a way to sustainably power their plastic society with the remains of dead humans.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

dunno about "sustainable" but uh despite the way The Matrix went "and a form of fusion" or whatever it's absolutely possible to a couple of different steps from the Fight Club approach to make fuel from people

"biofuel"

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

:unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVYkyJmbxw0

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Marathon is the gold standard for FPSs

Yeah, totally, the bad Doom clone for people that didn't own a real computer is the FPS benchmark.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

uguu posted:

Would be nice if they figured out a way to sustainably power their plastic society with the remains of dead humans.

You can in fact directly convert bodies into oil via thermal depolymerization. TDP can convert organic material to diesel grade fuel oil by subjecting the material to intense heat and pressure. It requires a good amount of energy, but ends up being a net positive, even if the process was fueling itself. Less usable energy than just incinerating the biomass, but you get oil!

There's one TDP plant running in the US, it converts waste from the Butterball Turkey plant into a few hundred barrels of oil per a day.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Hubbert posted:

thanks everyone always wants to take a peak

*runs into thread breathlessly*

Deep oil field!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jetz0r posted:

You can in fact directly convert bodies into oil via thermal depolymerization. TDP can convert organic material to diesel grade fuel oil by subjecting the material to intense heat and pressure. It requires a good amount of energy, but ends up being a net positive, even if the process was fueling itself. Less usable energy than just incinerating the biomass, but you get oil!

There's one TDP plant running in the US, it converts waste from the Butterball Turkey plant into a few hundred barrels of oil per a day.

amazing and disgusting

FFT posted:

dunno about "sustainable" but uh despite the way The Matrix went "and a form of fusion" or whatever it's absolutely possible to a couple of different steps from the Fight Club approach to make fuel from people

"biofuel"

isn't it a thing when people burn that the body fat will act as a fuel source, and the clothing the wick?

fake edit: ah it has a name! the wick effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wick_effect

wiki posted:

The wick effect is the partial or total destruction of a human body by fire, when the clothing of the victim soaks up melted human fat and acts like the wick of a candle. The wick effect is a phenomenon that is found to occur under certain conditions, and has been thoroughly observed. It is one commonly offered explanation for the alleged phenomenon of spontaneous human combustion.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
in the 5g v. aviation industry wars, it is deffo best for the climate for the cell phones to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

mediaphage posted:

amazing and disgusting

isn't it a thing when people burn that the body fat will act as a fuel source, and the clothing the wick?

fake edit: ah it has a name! the wick effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wick_effect

"has been thoroughly observed" :ohdear: