Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Collecting evidence in a zip file to determine which adtrw posters are doing a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I don't even really know. Probably something to do with some weird sad invasive thought thing that wormed its way into my head a few days ago and hasn't left yet, but it's bumming me out hard. Whatever it is it's not something I need to be inflicting on this thread or talking about here, so nevermind.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I don't even really know. Probably something to do with some weird sad invasive thought thing that wormed its way into my head a few days ago and hasn't left yet, but it's bumming me out hard. Whatever it is it's not something I need to be inflicting on this thread or talking about here, so nevermind.

Hey, best of luck

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

as a fellow victim of the "is this guy doing a bit" bit, you have my sympathy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
sad media with cathartic, hopeful endings owns, imo, though I am okay with it not owning for everyone

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

sad media [...] owns, imo, though I am okay with it not owning for everyone

:yeah:

https://i.imgur.com/i0rwEDg.mp4

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

have you tried watching k-on op

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I. M. Gei posted:

I do have clinical depression and anxiety though so

Same

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm. Erm, a normal person.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
get out normie

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Namtab posted:

Are you living in a world where azumanga daioh didn’t exist?
No, just the one where I forgot about it. orz

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Is this one of those thing where if we all have depression, none of us do?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Is this one of those thing where if we all have depression, none of us do?

someone should make a Civilization and Its Discontents anime

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im happy

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I for one like series where people punch the other people and cry because they must do so

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

I for one like series where people punch the other people and cry because they must do so

I like mob psycho too OP.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's pretty good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

God.

Did the Pokemon movies ever manage to get sadder than that one?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

sad media with cathartic, hopeful endings owns, imo, though I am okay with it not owning for everyone
sad media with sad endings can also be good, imo.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
why does this thread just keep attracting the most infantile takes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

i think both aikatsu stars and monster are good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like shows that are good and I'm neutral to shows that are bad

If a show is mediocre though, goodness gracious...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

my favorite precure is cure milky because shes funny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what are the anime opinions of the baby that voiced the baby in hugtto precure

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

homeless snail posted:

my favorite precure is cure milky because shes funny

this but Blossom and Marine

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

how dare you say my love for beastars is infantile

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite precure is twinkle because the punchline of her intro ep is hilarious

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

sad media with sad endings can also be good, imo.

you're not wrong

I'm actually a little mad the first season of YuYuYu had a happy ending, because the theming and thesis of the show is so bittersweet that pulling a happy ending out at the last second just cheapened it and made it feel like the writers didn't understand their own show

The second season fixed it all and then some though, so it's hard to be too upset

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
my taste has grown super basic and I can't watch or read really heavy, emotionally tragic stuff anymore, I just end up dreading the next chapter or episode until I finally drop it because it stresses me out. it's like, I really appreciate what this is doing but I'm gonna leave it for the people who can enjoy that kind of thing and go enjoy something chill and happy instead.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

That wasn’t a baby:

https://myanimelist.net/people/18451/Konomi_Tada

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

you're not wrong

I'm actually a little mad the first season of YuYuYu had a happy ending, because the theming and thesis of the show is so bittersweet that pulling a happy ending out at the last second just cheapened it and made it feel like the writers didn't understand their own show

The second season fixed it all and then some though, so it's hard to be too upset
the ending of yuuki yuuna was so bad i didnt watch any of the later seasons

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

the ending of yuuki yuuna was so bad i didnt watch any of the later seasons

season two is incredible and more than makes up for it

season three is trash and you were right to skip it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

she thinks that the last two episodes of evangelion and end of evangelion represent two separate and incompatible narratives, rather than the same series of events from opposite perspectives

what a child.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

cheetah7071 posted:

you're not wrong

It's pretty bad, yeah. Beyond diminishing the impact of every sacrifice up to that point--especially Karin's, otherwise the most affecting moment in the show--it trades the established adapting-to-disability theme for... well, nothing. Like you said, it's like they didn't understand their own show.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you don't mind a spoiler on season two:

The first half is a prequel showing Tougou's stuff from the first time she was a hero. It has more or less the same thesis as the first season--"sometimes, sacrifice is worth it to protect people"--and just nails it much better and much harder, and doesn't hit the reset button at the end, because, of course, the ending has to be that Tougou is amnesiac and wheelchair-bound, and Sonoko is bedridden with a dozen failed body parts.

The second half of the season is a sequel, and is a repudiation of that thesis, turning it on its head. Everybody but Yuuna resists the sacrifices demanded of them, kicking and screaming, and in the end, the exact same exchange between Yuuna and Tougou from season one happens again, but reverse who is right--this time, the show's themes are that, no, there are things you can ask someone to do which are absolutely beyond the pale, even if they're for the greater good. And then Yuuna punches god.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if tougou is still not in a wheelchair at the end of the second half i dont think this would solve my core issue

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
that's fair, and the way it was handled does suck. I think season two did about as well as it could without just retconning the season one ending, but that means they didn't retcon it

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 22, 2022

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Baal posted:

how dare you say my love for beastars is infantile

bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!