Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I think it got deleted because the office appeared to have tagged a parody account by mistake. It was a statement from the NATO spokesperson saying that "NATO will not agree to have first- and second-class members. A threat to one member is a threat to all and we will not restrict our capacity to operate within our own territory in defense of a member."

e: yeah, here it is again: https://twitter.com/NATOpress/status/1484637279926820866

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oh, I see. As for the statement, it’s about as expected I guess.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

QuoProQuid posted:

the article states it is not about finland not approving but germany having a policy against sending weapons to "tense regions."

Yes, but even if German government gave their permission, Estonia would still need Finland's permission too. And Finnish left-centre government is not that likely to bend this rule.

Now if someone like Saudi Arabia asked, well that's different. They have money.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

I mean cinci is right, this is fundamentally a choice about quality of debate. D&D can either be a place where every thread is mired in debunking low-effort disinformation hopefully for the benefit of lurkers, or it can be a place to discuss and learn about what is actually going on. But it can't be both. Oh and everyone hates doing the former. Nobody has been happy with the last few pages apart the very gleeful troll.

E: ^^ basically it's a 'final offer, no chance of misinterpretation in the room'

All you're doing here is creating a situation where any poster that falls foul of the majority is declared 'low effort' and removed. You suggested no definition of what is low-effort and i'm not sure how you would unless you are suggesting going back to the bad old days where people broke apart posts by sentence and everyone had to post referrals like a wiki article.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

All you're doing here is creating a situation where any poster that falls foul of the majority is declared 'low effort' and removed. You suggested no definition of what is low-effort and i'm not sure how you would unless you are suggesting going back to the bad old days where people broke apart posts by sentence and everyone had to post referrals like a wiki article.

As opposed to the bad current days where we spend 4 pages getting trolled until it turns out that the poster in question is using Russian government funded neo-nazi propaganda as their source.

Posters should (this is still in the rules) be actually bringing something interesting to the table.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

meanwhile ...

https://twitter.com/stefsiohan/status/1484653452118663169

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Nenonen posted:

Yes, but even if German government gave their permission, Estonia would still need Finland's permission too. And Finnish left-centre government is not that likely to bend this rule.

Now if someone like Saudi Arabia asked, well that's different. They have money.

Finnish position is that during wartime they buy weapons and supplies from another countries. Though it seems they're not really willing to reciprocate.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

El Perkele posted:

Finnish position is that during wartime they buy weapons and supplies from another countries. Though it seems they're not really willing to reciprocate.

The 44th Rifle Division was formed in Ukraine and was destroyed on Raate Road in January 1940. NEVER FORGET

fnox
May 19, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

Oh come on it's not that hard. If someone comes in, with some incendiary comment on the level of "the opposing side is committing genocide, I support the real heroes", in some absurd attempt to turn the debate into a flag waving contest, then refuses to argue anything and just insists that everyone play "who's the nazi" until they come to the realization that the only winning move is to quit, then I'm gonna say that's low effort. That feels like a miserable time for anybody involved, brought forward by someone too radicalized to argue with.

If anything we're lucky he managed to drop the ball on page 4.

Anyway, I'm not very optimistic about a Biden/Putin meeting. I'd be a decent boost to Biden's failing presidency if he does manage to appease Putin. Seems more like Russia's mind is set, and they're stalling for time, considering the options in the negotiating table. Russia's probably right in thinking that they can start a landgrab so long as they stop before NATO proper gets involved.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
There's nothing the US can realistically offer that'd get Putin to back down; this is just theatrics in the vain hope of delaying conflict by avoiding giving Russia something they can shape into a casus belli.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
The best scenario is Russian troops on Ukrainian border going “gently caress this” and going to Moscow to change governments. Critical mass indeed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

iv46vi posted:

The best scenario is Russian troops on Ukrainian border going “gently caress this” and going to Moscow to change governments. Critical mass indeed.

This is less likely than Christina Aguilera stopping the war by walking onto the highway between Ukrainian and Russian tank columns to sing All Star by Smash Mouth.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Conspiratiorist posted:

There's nothing the US can realistically offer that'd get Putin to back down; this is just theatrics in the vain hope of delaying conflict by avoiding giving Russia something they can shape into a casus belli.

The US can offer an alternative where NATO troops flood into the Baltics and around Kaliningrad, and also open NATO membership up globally. It would be further destabilizing for sure, but if the US wanted to play there's lots that could be done to outshine any potential gains in Ukraine.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The US can't do that, in fact.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Conspiratiorist posted:

Since the US makes up like half of NATO and the Baltics have continually asked for more NATO troops the US could very easily flood them unilaterally with troops.

Global NATO may be more of a stretch but I have a hard time believing that Australia and New Zealand would be rejected NATO membership if they're willing to toss troops into Poland.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Who knows where those avatars with the various paintings of actors dressed up as 19th-century generals comes from? The News Hour expert on Russian troop movements near Ukraine has the one of Patrick Stewart framed on the wall next to him.

Michael Kofman of the Center for Naval Analyses. He was saying that units are being transferred from further parts of Russia into Belarus and that an invasion is likely just weeks away.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also Sweden and Finland may as well be in NATO because I have a hard time believing Russia could invade them without any EU NATO members triggering Article 5 from collateral damage.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The US can offer an alternative where NATO troops flood into the Baltics and around Kaliningrad, and also open NATO membership up globally. It would be further destabilizing for sure, but if the US wanted to play there's lots that could be done to outshine any potential gains in Ukraine.

How about increase Russian sanctions until Russia joins NATO?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Since the US makes up like half of NATO and the Baltics have continually asked for more NATO troops the US could very easily flood them unilaterally with troops.

That's going to happen anyway.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Conspiratiorist posted:

Conspiratiorist posted:

That's going to happen anyway.

Wow what great and consistent points you're making.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Reinforcement of the Baltics is a given regardless of what happens from here on. The US spearheading this is a possibility but administrations are always schizophrenic about NATO commitments - the US would rather just sell/lease equipment.

On the other hand, expanding NATO membership globally is absolutely not the US's call to make.

And overall, the threat of NATO drawing a harder line and expanding membership is empty because what Russia wants is an ironclad guarantee that Ukraine will never join NATO, since Ukraine joining NATO is worse as far as their encirclement concerns go than either of your proposals, and kicking the can down the road is unacceptable as well.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

entry to NATO requires unanimous approval from all NATO member-states. even if the Alliance wanted to throw its requirements to the wind and even if the US wanted to throw open the doors to, idk, japan, countries like France and Germany would not allow them to join

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Fritz the Horse posted:

As I understand the new-ish guidelines in D&D, lollontee is allowed to advance any argument they want. Instead of simply posting this link: https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2014/07/06/donbass-russians-subject-unparalleled-ethnic-cleansing/

I would ask lollontee to explain, in their own words, what exactly their understanding of the roots of the conflict are and why that source is a good reference on the subject.

Everyone else please take a short break and allow lollontee to make thir argument.

edit: they can make any argument they want, as long as they can support it

hey genius that was for the us politics threads?? uk and canada and other regional threads are being allowed to self police, why tf is this one not?

just make one of the good regulars an IK instead of trying to make this thread do the full uspol bullshit of 'every single post must be treated as equally good faith no matter how transparently idiotic and offensive it is'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Herstory Begins Now posted:

hey genius that was for the us politics threads?? uk and canada and other regional threads are being allowed to self police, why tf is this one not?

just make one of the good regulars an IK instead of trying to make this thread do the full uspol bullshit of 'every single post must be treated as equally good faith no matter how transparently idiotic and offensive it is'

No, its in general especially when, say, someone drops in to make egregious claims about, say, ethnic cleansing and then can't back up their claims without posting a conspiracy theory propped up by a Russian anti-Semitic think tank and then claim that they posted it as a joke.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Global NATO may be more of a stretch but I have a hard time believing that Australia and New Zealand would be rejected NATO membership if they're willing to toss troops into Poland.

the issue with NATO gureenteeing every country on earth is are French and Germans ready to die for east Timor? Stepanakert? If the answer is no, then that enterprise is doomed.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
The events today reminded me of an idea I had, so I'd like to propose that to the thread now. EE posters have previously complained to me that international posters without as much knowledge of the region sometimes come into the thread and start discussions that are not very interesting to those who live there.

So, what I was thinking of doing, is splitting it into two threads. One thread that's specifically for Eastern Europeans, is about issues that have less international significance or would only likely be familiar to those from the region, and is self-policed like the CanPol thread as more of a hangout, possibly with its own ik chosen by regulars. The other thread would be Eastern European History and News, which would be intended more for an international audience; actual Eastern Europeans would be encouraged to post here as well to give their own expert perspective, but they would no longer be obligated to read a bunch of posts by Americans if they didn't want to.

Thoughts?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Koos Group posted:

The events today reminded me of an idea I had, so I'd like to propose that to the thread now. EE posters have previously complained to me that international posters without as much knowledge of the region sometimes come into the thread and start discussions that are not very interesting to those who live there.

So, what I was thinking of doing, is splitting it into two threads. One thread that's specifically for Eastern Europeans, is about issues that have less international significance or would only likely be familiar to those from the region, and is self-policed like the CanPol thread as more of a hangout, possibly with its own ik chosen by regulars. The other thread would be Eastern European History and News, which would be intended more for an international audience; actual Eastern Europeans would be encouraged to post here as well to give their own expert perspective, but they would no longer be obligated to read a bunch of posts by Americans if they didn't want to.

Thoughts?

As a long time mostly lurker, this is a terrible idea because then we will just have two threads where one is useless noise and the other is real information but where non Eastern Europeans don't have a right to speak. What's the point of that? What kind of debate and discussion is that? Jesus christ people aren't asking for much, literally just keep out the genocide deniers.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Koos Group posted:

Thoughts?

I think what the EE people don't like is international posters coming in talking about their countries like expendable chess pieces for the advancement of their FP fantasy football teams.
Super especially the ones that rules lawyer the things where they get killed.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Quote is not edit.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Koos Group posted:

Thoughts?

I don't think we should assume someone from, say, Poland is an "expert" on all news related to "Eastern Europe," which really tends to mean the former Soviet Union and Balkans. How about a new thread specifically for "Cold War 2"/Russia-NATO tensions? and we just keep this as an EE/fmr USSR thread?

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 22, 2022

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

I don't think we should assume someone from, say, Poland is an "expert" on all news related to "Eastern Europe," which really tends to mean the former Soviet Union and Balkans. How about a new thread specifically for "Cold War 2"/Russia-NATO tensions? and we just keep this as an EE/fmr USSR thread?

I do encourage threads for specific current events, so I would be all for a Donbas War one. But the issue has come up in the EE thread before this was in the news, and wouldn't be solved by just that, I don't think.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Grape posted:

I think what the EE people don't like is international posters coming in talking about their countries like expendable chess pieces for the advancement of their FP fantasy football teams.

Upon reflection I think this is why I received such hostility to what I posted today, and I understand why. I appreciate this thread precisely because of the number of EE posters in it and would greatly prefer it not be split up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Can’t say I’m a fan, personally. This thread does seldom function as a casual hangout, and at the same time the absolute majority of regular contributors are locals - in splinter thread scenario, I can’t see how one of them doesn’t become a ghost town. CanadaChat or whatever works because this forum has enough Anglo-Saxons to populate country or even area-specific threads, whereas I’m not going to bother posting at people from 17 countries that it was windy on Sunday in Riga. Besides, the problem itself isn’t really permanent - threadshitting only happens when Ukraine is in the news basically, which has *really* happened four times in 8 years, and by 1-2 people at the time.

No one of local gives a gently caress that opinion is written by an American or a professional basket weaver or something. Bad faith posting or genocide cheerleading sucks no matter from whom, and there’s no law of nature that prevents Anglos from constructively contributing to conversations. “Ameriposting” complaints are all about American exceptionalists talking about America in the wrong thread.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 22, 2022

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Koos Group posted:

Thoughts?

General chat thread could be in GBS. If a discussion isn't very "interesting" a mod can just shut it down like normal.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Grape posted:

I'm not an EE poster but if I was I think this would sum up my feelings.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Koos Group posted:

Thoughts?

With all due respect, this would be a bad approach. What people have a problem with is not Americans (and others) contributing to the thread. The issue is low-information, drive-by posters who barge into the thread with a sneering disdain for the people who actually live through the region because ""america bad, russia good."

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

In practice it really does feel like a lot of you are just asking for people who disagree with you not to be allowed to post itt.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sinteres posted:

In practice it really does feel like a lot of you are just asking for people who disagree with you not to be allowed to post itt.

I think QPQ answers this:

QuoProQuid posted:

With all due respect, this would be a bad approach. What people have a problem with is not Americans (and others) contributing to the thread. The issue is low-information, drive-by posters who barge into the thread with a sneering disdain for the people who actually live through the region because ""america bad, russia good."

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I think QPQ answers this:

Maybe I'm being uncharitable, but I feel like that's more words to basically say the same thing, in that people who disagree will be called low information posters or Russia shills who don't belong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Koos Group posted:

Thoughts?

Let clancychat and Olivier salad coexist you coward.