Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not letting my girlfriend use my charger?

Read this like you're the Suicidal Tendencies guy doing Institutionalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MarcusSA posted:

Because it doesn’t automatically go to the spouse unless there isn’t a will.
No I get that I mean... maybe it's a cultural thing but I wouldn't expect to see a red cent of inheritance until my surviving parent died unless they'd divorced or something.
E:
Ah.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 22, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

dervinosdoom posted:

I have a black cat,

She's a good catte

:powercatte:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mr. Lobe posted:

You need to feed your cat less

Working on it!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

wheatpuppy posted:

Right, so a 10- acre parcel would be even smaller.

Maybe the dad's lot is 1/4 an acre wide and 40 acres long and he's going to fire down the length :colbert:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
AITA for telling my brother and father that this is exactly what he signed up for when he is struggling with a year old baby girl after her mom and grandparents passed away?

quote:

My brother 20M got a girl pregnant and my father (mom died long back), her parents convinced the girl to keep the baby as they are heavily religious.

I (25F) thought it was an extremely bad idea and told the same to my brother. I am not in contact with my father due to religious differences. The girl wanted to go to college and did not want to have a kid. However, my father convinced her parents to take care of the baby while she/my brother goes off to college and they can help out in weekends and holidays. They would have to take care of the baby completely once they have graduated. My brother cut contact with me because he felt that i was trying to ruin his future family.

Well, the girl and her parents passed away when the baby was 6 months old and my father was struggling to take care of a baby while my brother was at college. He told my brother that he has to take the baby while my brother was attending university full time. My brother refused but my father just drove to his college and handed him the baby and drove off.

Now, my brother and I live in the same city and he is asking me to take care of the baby until he graduated. He told me that he would come to my place the second his college is over for the day. He wants me to watch the baby Mon-Fri 6 am - 6 pm. I told him that was not going to happen. He begged me and my father. When he kept bothering me with this, I told him that this is not what I signed up for and he told me that this wasn’t what he signed up for either.

I told him that this was exactly what he signed up for from the second that they decided to keep the baby. He did not think of the worst case scenario and was not prepared. He is devastated over her death and from what I know, he loves his child and spends every moment away from college with her (weekends, holidays, winter/summer breaks). He was extremely close with his gf and her parents. He is coping with their death too.

I travel a lot and I would have to ask for a demotion to be able to stay at home. I think this is too much to ask of me. Especially considering that they haven’t spoken to me in years. I sent post and messages congratulating when she born but no one replied to me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Weed page give me the weed posts

E:
GF (27/F) is upset I (30/M) stopped smoking weed

quote:

My gf (27/F) and I (30/M) have been together for a bit over 1.5 years. Roughly two months ago, I decided I wanted to start searching for another job, and decided to take a break from weed to avoid any issues. I am still applying at various places, but found that I am enjoying taking a break from it. I have no issues with her smoking or weed in general, but just feel that right now it is not the best thing for me.

I met my gf at a concert and the first thing we did together was smoke, so I understand it was central in the relationship, although we have many other common interests as well. Earlier in the year, we had various arguments about how I was “not smoking enough.” She would question why I wanted “so little,” or become angry while we smoked together if I was to say I had enough.

When I decided to take a break, she was initially supportive and said she was excited what new employment opportunities I might find. A few days later, she began crying saying she wanted to smoke with me, and became angry when I refused. She told me that I should find a job that doesn’t drug test, questioned how I was able to stop so easily, kept asking when I would smoke with her again.

Sadly, this has continued since, and at least once per week, my gf will start questioning me on my weed break. I’ve explained everything to her multiple times, reiterated that I do not mind if she smokes, but asked her to respect my choices as I respect hers. I’ve listened to her go on about how “it isn’t a drug,” “she feels like I am a different person,” “you have so much energy now, must be your break.”

Yesterday after it happened again, I told my gf that I felt very pressured and stressed. I asked her if she could accept I am doing this for my own reasons, and to respect my choices. My GF said that my choice was hurting her and that she needed to be able to talk about what was on her mind. I told her that she already knew the answers to all the questions she was asking, as we have had this conversation many times prior. My gf responded that she was angry I was dismissing her concerns and that “she needed to be able to tell me what was on her mind.”

I’ve considered that my gf really wants to stop, and that somehow my abstinence is highlighting her inability to do so. She insists this is not the case, and that she just wants to enjoy weed with me.

I don’t understand what is happening here. I would never pressure another person to do a substance. Why is she so insistent that I should smoke? I feel extremely wary that making this personal choice for myself has resulted in this reaction from her.

I truly do not understand how my break is not acceptable, yet her pressuring me and having long conversations about it all the time is. I feel anxious anytime the topic of weed arises in our conversations.

How can I respond when she says my abstinence from weed is hurting her? Is there anything more to say than I already have? Why is this such an issue in the first place?

TL;DR – GF of 1.5 years is very upset that I am taking a break from weed, says I am hurting her and pressures me to smoke. She will get upset about this roughly once per week, and I do not understand why I have to keep defending this in a repeat conversation. How can I communicate this is harmful to our relationship? What is going on here?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 22, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mx. posted:

AITA for not helping out the lady who hit my car?

i mean, :guillotine: etc. but lady you could have gotten in a lot more poo poo than this, be glad you didn't kill anyone with your stupidity

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

Weed page give me the weed posts

E:
GF (27/F) is upset I (30/M) stopped smoking weed

Your addicted friends won’t help you with your addictions, whether it’s weed, tobacco, WoW or anything.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Hughlander posted:

AITA for not saying sorry to a friend?

:wtc:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA, for not letting my sister catch my baby during freebirth?

quote:

i, f22 am a mom of two baby boys, one is 2 years and the other is 3 weeks. i strongly believe in freebirth. i’m what you could call a “crunchy” mom. my first son was born in my home bathtub, no doctor present. only sister and husband in the room. i caught my own baby, and everything went very smoothly. but my last pregnancy, and birth, was very rough. only because of my family though. for context, my sister is infertile. it would be almost impossible for her to get pregnant. and she doesn’t like the idea of a surrogate. i told my sister i was pregnant during the second trimester, in front of my entire family, she begged me to not only watch, but catch my baby. i immediately shut her down. but my parents are enraged. understandably, because birth is something she will never experience. but it would be very traumatizing for me to have another person pull my baby out and hold him first. when i went into labor, i only told my husband. he watched, and the birth went smoothly. but when my family found out i actually didn’t let sister catch the baby, they went crazy. calling me a selfish brat, a every other offensive name under the sun. AITA?

To each their own, but if you have a rough pregnancy and birth, shouldn't you, you know, do the next one in a hospital or at least with a midwife?

Amazingly enough that is also what Reddit is saying.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013
"My brother refused but my father just drove to his college and handed him the baby and drove off"

Mighty Christian of him

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Chloe Jessica posted:

im of two minds because yeah the kids are old enough to reheat breakfast but at the same time there's no real reason they should have to

if you're not prepared to adjust your schedule for your kids, don't loving have kids

what kind of take is this? the “kids” are 14 and 16, not toddlers. they are old enough to get pregnant and do calculus, they can make their own pancakes. problem solved.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cowslips Warren posted:

To each their own, but if you have a rough pregnancy and birth, shouldn't you, you know, do the next one in a hospital or at least with a midwife?

OP said first birth was fine, and this one was rough only cuz her family was giving her poo poo.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

hallo spacedog posted:

Honestly it doesn't sound like they are those kind of friends! I have many friends that I would talk to about fun stuff and love life or relationship stuff but not personal difficult stuff. I feel like lady 1 kinda misjudged the relationship.

Yes, but "How does that affect me" is not NOT an rear end in a top hat's response to hearing a friend has cancer.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I think that it's a running thing among sex workers that when they meet new people they tell the new people that they work in accounting. The reason being that no one will disbelieve them or ask any follow up questions

It's because of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNLNHzjeSd8

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Guys stop fighting you're ruining national granola bar day. Is nothing sacred?

National granola bar day is a scam. I celebrate national squirrel appreciation day.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for stranding my girlfriend in another country?

quote:

Last April I was approved to move to Japan to teach ESL as an ALT and I moved here in August. I'm in Wakkanai, one of the more remote areas of Japan where I've only met two other Japanese people who spoke English and zero other foreigners since then. The program allowed my spouse to join me, and my girlfriend of four years was ecstatic to come along.

She wants to go home but I can't. She can leave whenever she likes but with shared finances, it's not an expense I want to approve. Nor can I. A ticket to the airport and then a ticket back home to Canada is about $2,400. The only way it would be possible is if I ditched my job and went home, too, because that blow to our finances means I'm out of a place to live. It's too much: she has to truck it out until we penny pinch enough or my contract ends.

Why does she want to go home? She's overweight which is stigmatized heavily here. She has stopped going outside because the comments she gets from my colleagues and even strangers has made her very self-conscious. I'm currently trying to find a gym that will accept foreigners for her to attend and she called it insulting. I can't change the culture here. She was a private music teacher (violin and piano) but stopped it when students would push her belly like the Pillsbury Dough Boy and make comments.

I'm between a rock and a hard place. If she continued her work, she could save up, but she is mortified. She wants me to front the bill when it would jeopordize my living if she left me here. AITA?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Hughlander posted:

sorry sweetcheeks, you made your bed, now lie in it. not your boyfriend's fault this wasn't the magical experience you were expecting

Boyfriend (23M) went to the beach with my (22F) sister (20F) in the middle of the night.

quote:

My parents live near the beach and we were spending a few days there this last weekend. I woke up in the middle of the night and he wasn’t here, I couldn’t sleep so I went looking for him and couldn’t find him anywhere, until I saw them from the window coming back from the beach laughing. I went back to bed before they arrived. They were quiet in the house, he came back to bed and the next morning it was like nothing happened.

I’m a lot confused as to what this could mean, why they did this, why keep it a secret but I haven’t confronted them yet so they don’t know that I know.

How do I go about figuring out what really happened? Is confrontation a good idea? Who first? Sister or boyfriend? What do I say?

Edit: talked to both of them. They’re weed buddies! They sent me pictures too, they did this last time as well. Parents can’t know my sister likes weed so that’s the reason for secrecy and sneaking out. I wasn’t involved because I don’t like to smoke weed.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Hughlander posted:

students would push her belly like the Pillsbury Dough Boy and make comments.

God drat that's rough.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

In what way?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

limp_cheese posted:

God drat that's rough.

Japan loving sucks if you're more than like a kilo or two over what's supposed to be ideal.

Or older than like 35.

Or Korean.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hughlander posted:

quote:

students would push her belly like the Pillsbury Dough Boy

New thread title?

But also lol that someone would go to visit a foreign country without the means to leave, then get so personally offended by their culture that they want to go home. People in some places are going to do things tourists find inappropriate, but that's part of traveling. Take it in stride, it's not your place as a tourist to call it out - move on and and don't come back if it's really a problem. But for gently caress's sake don't intentionally strand yourself in a country without knowing what you're getting into.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The number of obese people in Japan is increasing, so she could also just wait it out over 20 years if she wanted.

The best is at the health exam if your overweight the nurses will literally grab your fat, point at, and say lose this.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i would've thought girlfriend's visa would only have been approved if she proved she had the money to leave

i feel like there's something missing from the story

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Cowslips Warren posted:

Amazingly enough that is also what Reddit is saying.

Aff, or a cloning facility to ensure a capable MechWarrior is produced. The sister should have issued a batchall if she wanted to participate, quiaff?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for leaving a bad review on a diner and ruining the waitress' life just because she was "complementing" my husband's eyes?

quote:

My f33 husband's m30 birthday was several days ago, we decided to go celebrate at a new diner and invited my inlaws to join us.

Throughtout the entire celebration, this 20ish waitress who served our table kept acting strange, she didn't take her eyes off my husband and threw some inappropriate comments at him and infront of us as she came and went.

I was feeling uncomfortable, but decided to not make a scene hoping she'd stop but when she brought the drinks, She puts them on the table, leans close enough towards my husband thinking no one would hear but we heard what she said and it was "the sparkle of those eyes is igniting me!" (PS my husband has electric-blue eyes). I was flabergasted, truly! I couldn't believe she just said that!

I told her "you know what? You're being inappropriate right now, and you need to stop". She then smug smiled then turned around and walked away. I got weird looks from my inlaws and it was AWEFUL.

I got home and left a very bad review on the diner, the next day I'm contacted by the manager asking me to specify the bad experience I had at their diner and I tell him. He then calls back and tells me their business is new and this kind of reviews might harm their reputation, then asks what it'd take for me to take it down. I tell him some consequences to the waitress. He calls back to tell me he just fired her but before I take down the review, I'm contacted by the waitress on my SM telling me that she didn't mean to cause disturbance and was just "complimenting" my husband's eyes, but I ruined her career and caused her to potentially lose her apartment and become homeless after getting fired from the diner and being unable to pay rent. I don't respond but my inlaws point out that I overreacted and this stuff happen too often at diners and I just caused irreparable damage to this young lady's life over "nothing". Also MIL said that I must've done this because I felt jealous of the waitress.

AITA?

ETA: My review was left on the business' facebook page. I was contacted by the manager via my phone number that was available on my profile. But the waitress reached out via message.

ETA2: So I'm seeing a variety of opinions here of what I should have done/or how I should have handled this. I agree that I might have let things get out of hand but I had no plans to get her fired, didn't even want to get the manager involved. Just leave a review and that's it.

Also to all those asking "insecure/jealous much?" I'll give you the same answer I gave my MIL, I might have been BUT I just don't think that this was an appropriate way to act at work. That is all!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My wife and I were both fat when we went to Japan and while I am sure there were comments behind our backs and I did get a few to my face from people I knew, it really isn’t that bad. We lived rural as gently caress where people aren’t used to differences or foreigners, so housewives would watch us out their windows if we went for a walk.

If OP’s girlfriend is having that much trouble she must be really big, like north of 300 and not very tall, or else she has a repellent personality that makes people want to ridicule her, which I definitely saw happen to one person who was from Texas and wouldn’t shut up about it and also wouldn’t eat Japanese food.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

therobit posted:

If OP’s girlfriend is having that much trouble...

Wow, "it must have been her fault somehow" is a heck of a bad take.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mx. posted:

AITA for leaving a bad review on a diner and ruining the waitress' life just because she was "complementing" my husband's eyes?

Lmao don't hit on a man in front of his wife at your workplace

edit or ever really, but especially not there

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yes please tell me how foreigners who hate it in Japan have a point and it really isn’t their fault when they fail to fit into one of the most polite societies in the G20 and it is never their own behavior that is the issue.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Motronic posted:

National granola bar day is a scam. I celebrate national squirrel appreciation day.

That's every day OP

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Fat people also exist in Japan, she ain't special and they have seen fat people before. I know y'all might think it's a skinny jpop model land, but it's not. Loudest wheel, etc.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

value-brand cereal posted:

Fat people also exist in Japan, she ain't special and they have seen fat people before. I know y'all might think it's a skinny jpop model land, but it's not. Loudest wheel, etc.

Take a google maps spin on where that town is.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Regardless of if she’s in the sticks or in a city, it’s still awful to go through. Hot take, but I don’t think anyone regardless of size wants to be gawked at?

I get it occasionally and it stinks on ice. Like let a witch live.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Grape posted:

Take a google maps spin on where that town is.

In Japan. Are you asking me to google canada? That's not a town. You know what's a town ? Bee Cave. Have a google, it's a neat place. Buzz buzz am I right?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

value-brand cereal posted:

In Japan. Are you asking me to google canada? That's not a town. You know what's a town ? Bee Cave. Have a google, it's a neat place. Buzz buzz am I right?

are you ok

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Fat chick is clearly a failure for not yet having undergone cellular mitosis and using her prodigious mass to produce two regular sized gals.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I mean, my money is on her making it sound like it is way worse and way more often than it is because in my experience Japan isn’t the anti-fat country that she’s making it out to be.

But enough of that detail, the post wasn’t that interesting.

AITA for spraying my fiancé’s ex with a hose?

quote:

My fiancé has two teenage children with his ex. His ex can be extremely inappropriate towards him but he claims that’s just her personality. For some context she works in the entertainment industry and I guess is kind of sexy/flirty with everyone but it is very upsetting when i feel like I live in her shadow.

His mom adores her. His kids obviously want their mom but I totally respect that she is the kids mom and will always be in the picture.

The other day they went to one of their daughters games and out to eat and he dropped her at our house to get her car. I asked him why her shirt was wet and he said he rolled the car window down so she’d get hit with a sprinkler. He’s a big prankster and has done similar to me but I just seemed inappropriate with her.

She rolled her eyes and told me to calm down it was just a joke and that I need to grow up and I’m prudish and dumb. They chatted for a few minutes and I took our hose and sprayed her because like she said it’s just water.

She got really mad and said some nasty things. He kind of laughed but also said I shouldn’t have done it and now I’m concerned because his daughters aren’t speaking to me and the older one cussed me out before she left for school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

therobit posted:

I mean, my money is on her making it sound like it is way worse and way more often than it is because in my experience Japan isn’t the anti-fat country that she’s making it out to be.

But enough of that detail, the post wasn’t that interesting.

lol at this fine example of lastwordism