Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Maybe I'm being uncharitable, but I feel like that's more words to basically say the same thing, in that people who disagree will be called low information posters or Russia shills who don't belong.

You can disagree, but you better be able to back it up without quoting bullshit.

also, maybe EE posters don't appreciate people outside the region saying they should be under another country's "sphere of influence". Maybe it's entirely reasonable to tell anyone suggesting as such to gently caress off.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
This does not seem like encouraging news,

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1484714137015959558

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Guys don't worry. As long as there aren't Russian paratroopers in Kiev this minor border incursion won't be too bad.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

QuoProQuid posted:

With all due respect, this would be a bad approach. What people have a problem with is not Americans (and others) contributing to the thread. The issue is low-information, drive-by posters who barge into the thread with a sneering disdain for the people who actually live through the region because ""america bad, russia good."

This downplays the equally sinister Clancychat people who treat this real region of the real world like the new episode spoilers section of Dragonball.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Guys don't worry. As long as there aren't Russian paratroopers in Kiev this minor border incursion won't be too bad.

Oh hey there coincidentally.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Koos Group posted:

The events today reminded me of an idea I had, so I'd like to propose that to the thread now. EE posters have previously complained to me that international posters without as much knowledge of the region sometimes come into the thread and start discussions that are not very interesting to those who live there.

So, what I was thinking of doing, is splitting it into two threads. One thread that's specifically for Eastern Europeans, is about issues that have less international significance or would only likely be familiar to those from the region, and is self-policed like the CanPol thread as more of a hangout, possibly with its own ik chosen by regulars. The other thread would be Eastern European History and News, which would be intended more for an international audience; actual Eastern Europeans would be encouraged to post here as well to give their own expert perspective, but they would no longer be obligated to read a bunch of posts by Americans if they didn't want to.

Thoughts?

On a purely selfish not, I appreciate this thread because it's a bunch of Eastern European posters talking amongst themselves in English instead of Czech, Polish, Ukrainian, or whatever the non-English lingua franca for these sorts of discussions normally is. As a dumb monolingual American, I appreciate this.

The problems with this thread are generally the result of a few problem posters who spray conspiracy nonsense in a way that's just coherent enough to pass muster under the "you have to be interesting and post evidence of your position" rules, which in general I think are very good.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Grape posted:

This downplays the equally sinister Clancychat people who treat this real region of the real world like the new episode spoilers section of Dragonball.

Oh hey there coincidentally.

You’re right. I also hate the Clancy chat and fantasizing about poo poo like dirty bombs. Thanks for the addition.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Part of the problem is that for many regulars the first thought after seeing 40 unread posts right now will be “are my friends dying”. Then the page loads and you’re looking at someone sourcing their quotes from Stormfront, or finishing 17th of their 32 post tome on the objective reasons why the poster’s home deserves to be invaded and occupied. Or it’s the 7th time that the thread is arguing about didactics of comparing Putin to Hitler.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 22, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Koos Group posted:

The events today reminded me of an idea I had, so I'd like to propose that to the thread now. EE posters have previously complained to me that international posters without as much knowledge of the region sometimes come into the thread and start discussions that are not very interesting to those who live there.

So, what I was thinking of doing, is splitting it into two threads. One thread that's specifically for Eastern Europeans, is about issues that have less international significance or would only likely be familiar to those from the region, and is self-policed like the CanPol thread as more of a hangout, possibly with its own ik chosen by regulars. The other thread would be Eastern European History and News, which would be intended more for an international audience; actual Eastern Europeans would be encouraged to post here as well to give their own expert perspective, but they would no longer be obligated to read a bunch of posts by Americans if they didn't want to.

Thoughts?

No. Rearranging the threads is not a substitute for moderation.

A) You will not be able to accurately enforce who is allowed in each thread. You're struggling to keep track of who is forumbanned at this point. You want the userbase to identify and track people's country of origin to qualify their presence?
B) If a discussion space (like a thread or a subforum) has abuse problems, splitting off the problems into one dedicated area to contain them does not address the issue; it makes it much worse. A group of users of the containment space will immediately identify themselves by their oppositon to the other space. Splitting off discussion just puts a target on the space you're "preserving", and its users, and creates a new space with lower moderation standards and a culture of the abuse you were trying to address.

Just enforce the rules, consistently, on the abusive users. That includes permanently removing them when they refuse to change their behavior.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Sinteres posted:

In practice it really does feel like a lot of you are just asking for people who disagree with you not to be allowed to post itt.

That won't be happening, except as a corollary of some arguments being brought up and completely debunked in the thread before.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

also, maybe EE posters don't appreciate people outside the region saying they should be under another country's "sphere of influence". Maybe it's entirely reasonable to tell anyone suggesting as such to gently caress off.

If we're keeping it a single thread, they have the right to advocate that, as long as the argument they're making for it isn't tiresome, using poor sources, unsupported, etc. Which it very well could be, since that's an odious and very politically-motivated position. But your response has to be of at least as much substance as their assertion, or you can ignore and report them.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

On a purely selfish not, I appreciate this thread because it's a bunch of Eastern European posters talking amongst themselves in English instead of Czech, Polish, Ukrainian, or whatever the non-English lingua franca for these sorts of discussions normally is. As a dumb monolingual American, I appreciate this.

The problems with this thread are generally the result of a few problem posters who spray conspiracy nonsense in a way that's just coherent enough to pass muster under the "you have to be interesting and post evidence of your position" rules, which in general I think are very good.

Well, there is one problem poster who I'm very close to forumbanning, and threadbans/forumbans are always on the table for anyone who's a long-term net-negative to discussion.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Koos Group posted:

Well, there is one problem poster who I'm very close to forumbanning, and threadbans/forumbans are always on the table for anyone who's a long-term net-negative to discussion.

That's good to know. I genuinely think bringing in someone who isn't a D&D regular to try and sort things out is an excellent idea, because one the politics forums' biggest problems is that they're full of people who have been arguing with each other for a decade or more in some cases and their every interaction is drenched in soap opera backstory that matters only to them. There's so many posters with grudges (including me, hell, especially me) that it's practically impossible to moderate consistently from within.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 22, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Maybe I'm being uncharitable, but I feel like that's more words to basically say the same thing, in that people who disagree will be called low information posters or Russia shills who don't belong.

Given the breadth of “disagreements” this threat has seen recently, and your personal beef with specific posters (and vice versa), this does come off a bit uncharitable. It’s not an entirely unfounded concern, much like it wouldn’t be in any other moderation arrangement, including what we have right now, but the current complaints focus on motivations behind differences in opinion, not the actual differences.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 22, 2022

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
I personally think that Olivier chat and (mild) clancychat can coexist peacefully and there is no need for a separate thread. I would, however, like to join other posters in reminding our American (and generally non-Eastern European) friends that what they might perceive as geopolitical curios can (and often do) carry much more dire ramifications for EE folks posting here (not to mention their friends/families/loved ones), and I would like to gently ask them to take this factor into account when posting their takes of varying hotness.

also ngl i would like to read Lollontee's Abridged History of the Early Months of War in Donbas

also i do suspect they grabbed the first google result that seemed to support their point, not quite committing to due diligence as to the validity of their findings before trying to own their posting enemies with newfound facts and logic

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

""
US Transportation Command "Camber Flight" (National Airlines 747 N919CA) en route to Kyiv Ukraine
""

""
Germany is blocking NATO ally Estonia from giving military support to Ukraine by refusing to issue permits for German-origin weapons to be exported to Kyiv as it braces for a potential Russian invasion
""

""
.@PressSec confirms that @SecBlinken statement that "whether it's 1 Russian soldier or 1000 crossing the border it's an attack" is "the President's policy that he has directed to his Secretary of State”
""

""
Czech defence minister says she will propose artillery ammunition shipment to Ukraine - Reuters news
""

""
Defense Minister of Latvia: The Baltic states will send "Stinger" and "Javelin" systems, as well as various individual equipment to help Ukraine to strengthen its defences. I strongly urge Russia to de-escalate situation at the border with Ukraine and respect its sovereignty

""

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lavrov did apparently call Baltics and Poland “the vocal Russophobic minority in EU and NATO” which selfishly ruins it all for everyone.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Lavrov did apparently call Baltics and Poland “the vocal Russophobic minority in EU and NATO” which selfishly ruins it all for everyone.

Reasons the poles are allowed to hate Russia:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Molotov-Ribbentrop, Katyn and other massacres, the 17th century partitions, over a century of Tsarist occupation, forty-five years of Soviet occupation...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Molotov-Ribbentrop, Katyn and other massacres, the 17th century partitions, over a century of Tsarist occupation, forty-five years of Soviet occupation...

Blatantly russophobia. All of those events are self defense you see! How can you think otherwise when the evidence is right here *20 links to stormfront and RT links *

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Eh, I was gonna say something but figured it was better not than to rush in and further polarize the situation.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Koos Group posted:

The problem is not Americans or people with a genuine interest that come with an approach of learning and understanding the situation better, we don't know where the anonymous people of this forum come from (and even if they're American they can be from here or have friends, family or personal ties). It's aggressively politically ideological people who come to score points for their position, this can be both an american viewing their country as a protagonist in a novel or an eastern euro chud. Both are fine to deal with with some well dosed aggroposting or moderation with more persistent cases

In other news Kadyrov seems like he got some issues killing his enemies abroad now so he's targeting his enemies and their families in Russia. That area is going to explode when Putin dies or stops paying up for loyalty

https://mobile.twitter.com/mbk_center/status/1484649268036128771

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Koos Group posted:

Thoughts?

Remove NATO posters east of Germany

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Somaen posted:

In other news Kadyrov seems like he got some issues killing his enemies abroad now so he's targeting his enemies and their families in Russia. That area is going to explode when Putin dies or stops paying up for loyalty

kadyrov's been getting more and more unhinged as of late (not that the baseline of unhinged was ever low with him). i seem to recall him threatening to literally invade Ingushetia the other week? feels like some fever dream at this point

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I would like to add that the two threads approach was actually tried out before, with the general "post funny pics and discuss salads in different stages of becoming 100% mayo" chat thread in GBS and politicschat in D&D. It fizzled out for various reasons, only one being that there just aren't enough people to populate two threads. I suspect that what really killed the chat thread was that many outsiders couldn't tell the difference between "laugh at funny stuff going on in Eastern Europe" and "laugh at Eastern Europeans" and moderation got tired of intervening at some point.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

nurmie posted:

I personally think that Olivier chat and (mild) clancychat can coexist peacefully and there is no need for a separate thread. I would, however, like to join other posters in reminding our American (and generally non-Eastern European)
friends that what they might perceive as geopolitical curios can (and often do) carry much more dire ramifications for EE folks posting here (not to mention their friends/families/loved ones), and I would like to gently ask them to take this factor into account when posting their takes of varying hotness.
I can't speak to exactly how people perceive my posts, but like, you don't even have to consider people's feelings. Even if I think America is a significantly bigger issue globally, that is clearly not the case within the Eastern European context, so I shouldn't be posting like it is. That also ties into the issue of taking agency away from Eastern Europeans: Even if you assume the worst of intentions on the part of America, that doesn't change the fact that aligning with it and NATO is seen as being in the interest of many/most Eastern Europeans. America didn't trick or force anyone to join, at most it might have leaned on some NATO members to make sure that the Eastern Europeans running into their arms would be let in.

QuoProQuid posted:

entry to NATO requires unanimous approval from all NATO member-states. even if the Alliance wanted to throw its requirements to the wind and even if the US wanted to throw open the doors to, idk, japan, countries like France and Germany would not allow them to join
Yeah. Even aside from the fact that any expansion threatens to undermine the commitment members have to each other, what interest does any European country have in having Japan join? No one would expect it to join in against Russia over the Baltic Countries, and on the diplomatic side it'd just put Europe more firmly against China, the country that Europe wants to trade with. They wouldn't have let Eastern European countries join either if they felt it would be stepping on the toes of a great trading partner, but a combination of the Cold War and liberal optimism meant it wasn't seen like that.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I'd also like to point out that this thread isn't that active on its own, on regular days you'd get 2-3 posts a day on average, it's the recent buildup that understandably increases the rate for exchanging information for people living here, which attracts people who want to debate the just giving Putin whatever (which, while tiring, at least it has some discussion behind it) and the epic trolls discussing the merits of genocide or whatever.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah during the internet blackout in Kazakhstan there were some genuinely good posts every day with useful information and then bam, overnight hundred-post long discussion about absolute nonsense.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's erasure of a lot of people in EE and I will not stand for it :argh:

Seriously though, as long as Russia stops INVADING other countries and MURDERING people abroad, I mostly don't give a gently caress. There will always be crazies thinking that EU/NATO should invade Russia and raze it to the ground, but most people don't give a gently caress and are fine with just rooting against them during sport events.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Just speaking for myself, not any "official" solicitation from the mod crew: if you have suggestions for who might be a good IK for this thread I'd encourage you to PM Koos or another mod.

Personally I think it'd be helpful to have an IK for this thread who is living in the region and active at a different time than most of the D&D mods, just to be able to put out any fires if other mods aren't available or watching closely. Ideally IMO someone who's regularly active on the forums, level-headed, and can read Russian.

I acknowledge the point made by several folks re: "are there a hundred posts in the EE thread because someone is making GBS threads it up or because there's a hot war and my friends/family might be in danger?"

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

What about this: Make a funny picture in which a EE person throws a Western person over a fence or something, which can be posted in this thread by EE posters only if someone posts wrong stuff. Then, mods have an indicator to watch closely. If the person is EE themselves, they can fashion a hillarious counter-picture.
Generally, we can learn a lot from the discourse culture of websites like imgur.com or reddit.com I think.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
has anyone posted the leaked putin's palace photo archive in its entirety yet? (apart from his private strip club that is)

if not, get them while they're hot, there's A LOT of them to gawk at

it's as boring and as lifeless as you'd expect putin's palace to be. verging on some liminal space-like vibes at times

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Putin built himself a fancy coffin.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Calling it now, 15 years from now it's going to be an overused FPS map trope, a bit like the Pripyat ferris wheel.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I think it was posted in the thread earlier, but got lost, the video from Navalny's team, with English subtitles, looking at the new photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjYl1xvssJY

It's worth noting at the time the original video was released Russian state media and various Putinists tried to dismiss the claims as fake because Navalny's teams mockups didn't match the rooms, which they were invited to see, but these new photos show they were spot on, if not comparatively conservative the final result. They go into it here in the video.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 22, 2022

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i'm gonna start making it into an fps map right now, gotta be ahead of the curve

oh btw if anyone wants to visit, it's located here

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nurmie posted:

has anyone posted the leaked putin's palace photo archive in its entirety yet? (apart from his private strip club that is)

if not, get them while they're hot, there's A LOT of them to gawk at

it's as boring and as lifeless as you'd expect putin's palace to be. verging on some liminal space-like vibes at times

I did.

Haramstufe Rot posted:

What about this: Make a funny picture in which a EE person throws a Western person over a fence or something, which can be posted in this thread by EE posters only if someone posts wrong stuff. Then, mods have an indicator to watch closely. If the person is EE themselves, they can fashion a hillarious counter-picture.
Generally, we can learn a lot from the discourse culture of websites like imgur.com or reddit.com I think.

Source your quotes.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I would like to add that the two threads approach was actually tried out before, with the general "post funny pics and discuss salads in different stages of becoming 100% mayo" chat thread in GBS and politicschat in D&D. It fizzled out for various reasons, only one being that there just aren't enough people to populate two threads. I suspect that what really killed the chat thread was that many outsiders couldn't tell the difference between "laugh at funny stuff going on in Eastern Europe" and "laugh at Eastern Europeans" and moderation got tired of intervening at some point.

I was the OP of last couple of iterations of that one, and I don’t remember having major need for moderation. Simply not enough people to populate it properly, and the tone set for conversations by GBS just isn’t something that Eastern Europeans will like. So, locals didn’t have too much motivation to hold normal conversations there, and the primary content of the thread was entirely dependent on locals scavenging stuff inaccessible to foreigners, who could only post that one viral video with “gopnik dance” (which they couldn’t even tell as artificial).

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I mean this thread will go from 100 posts a day to 3 again in like two weeks If the conflict doesn't kick off. Or if a salad war doesn't spark in the EE thread

Cinci would be a great ik tho

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
What in God's name are they smoking in the German Navy.

https://twitter.com/sidhant/status/1484832550124408846

BoldFace fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 22, 2022

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

That's a nice bath/toilet situation he has going on there:

Just calmly taking a presidential dump while watching you bathe:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Cinci would be a great ik tho
I've been away from the EE thread a while, but they did immediately come to mind when the question of an IK was broached, since I recall them being pretty good at actually living up to the (purported) posting ideals of D&D. Certainly also makes sense in terms of coverage, given that they've been the most active poster in the thread.

barbecue at the folks posted:

That's a nice bath/toilet situation he has going on there:

Just calmly taking a presidential dump while watching you bathe:

That's a super-bidet for when you've got explosive diarrhea.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Don't you hate it when you're enjoying yourself in the jacuzzi with your lovers but have to leave the room to poop? Totally breaks the mood every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

Don't you hate it when you're enjoying yourself in the jacuzzi with your lovers but have to leave the room to poop? Totally breaks the mood every time.

Oh no, I just poop in the jacuzzi