Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

I started a game as the Maya and wanted to build tall and remain mostly peaceful.

I explored to the left, and found the Matterhorn.

Then I explored to the right, and found the Giant's Causeway.

Oh well, here I go murdering again.

you can murder and be tall. if it innit within 6 burn that poo poo to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Is there some .txt or .ini file somewhere that governs what civilizations you’ve won with in the No wins with leader custom leader pool? That thing only seems to have counted civs I won with after that custom pool option was enabled and I’d prefer to not have to go manually in select them each time.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
A barbarian galley kept reducing my capital to zero health but didn't capture it. Why?

Edit: oh they can't capture capitals

snoremac fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 8, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

snoremac posted:

A barbarian galley kept reducing my capital to zero health but didn't capture it. Why?
Barbarians don't capture, they only raze cities and you can't raze capitals.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

snoremac posted:

Edit: oh they can't capture capitals

There have been games where I had like 12 barbarians attacking my capitol, and instead of mounting a real counterattack I just kept one archer/crossbowman inside and picked them off slowly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The worst thing about Civ4 barbarians is how a hundred incredibly weak units will just drift into your borders. Just so so many warriors and archers coming in, loving up your roads, attacking in little clusters.

It's so much more agonizing than how other Civs approach warfare, which is an incredibly powerful death stack I take out in a single turn with siege units and mounted units.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Started a new MP game with discord friends last night with legendary starts on.

12 camp sites on my starting city, admittedly with many on tundra. I beelined the gently caress out of the camp pantheon and the Temple of Artemis and boy is that a strong start. The last time I played the first expansion wasn't out, so it's a nice crutch to lean on since I don't have the cheese strats memorized.

edit: Had a weird bug in a ST game over lunch. game crashed, and when I reloaded, a city state was dead rear end removed. The trade route going to it popped back up and allowed me to repick. Weird.

Deki fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 10, 2022

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Finally picked this up a couple of weeks ago, feels like this might just end up being my favorite civ. Only thing I don't like is the tech and civic progression which feels way too fast.
I looked around a bit and saw some promising mods, but if anyone has a suggestion for a mod/set that makes the game hit the different eras roughly in the "correct" years, I'd appreciate it.

On that note, Pericles seems kinda busted. I haven't tried that many civs yet and the game is only on King with a good starting position, but acropolises giving you envoys which get you more culture leading to even more envoys is quite the feedback loop that allowed me to basically finish the civic tree by turn 200. Barb camps turning into city-states is a neat feature but it definitely lead to too many suzerainity bonuses for this game to be even remotely balanced. Like I have 8 cities and over 1k science and culture around turn 210.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

brakeless posted:

Finally picked this up a couple of weeks ago, feels like this might just end up being my favorite civ. Only thing I don't like is the tech and civic progression which feels way too fast.
I looked around a bit and saw some promising mods, but if anyone has a suggestion for a mod/set that makes the game hit the different eras roughly in the "correct" years, I'd appreciate it.

On that note, Pericles seems kinda busted. I haven't tried that many civs yet and the game is only on King with a good starting position, but acropolises giving you envoys which get you more culture leading to even more envoys is quite the feedback loop that allowed me to basically finish the civic tree by turn 200. Barb camps turning into city-states is a neat feature but it definitely lead to too many suzerainity bonuses for this game to be even remotely balanced. Like I have 8 cities and over 1k science and culture around turn 210.

Yes this game is insanely unbalanced on almost every front, including the civs/leaders; Pericles is on the higher end of things IMO, probably the second best culture civ after Russia. And If you're playing with the barbarian clans mode, you should reduce the number of starting city states to 2/3, or maybe even 1/2, of the game's recommended number for a given map size.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've now won with every leader on deity, and the key is getting a balance between challenge and actual fun. So for me, the optimal settings are to play with Secret Societies, Heroes and Corporations. Then fractal map (so it's always an interesting shape), the standard settings but all terrain types as random, so you really don't know what your game will look like. The bonus modes do make it a fair bit easier, but that's a good counterbalance to the AI's bonuses, especially early on in the game. So you can pick up a hero to give you the edge, whether it's in building districts, getting city states, exploring for much gold or just a bit of military oomph. The AI might have more advanced units than you, but taking the twin heroes can gift you an army from an early war that might otherwise be impossible. I'd also recommend as a slight exploit checking in with the AI every now and then in the earlyish game to buy their diplomatic favor - 20 DV for 1-2 gold that you can then either sell back later on, or use to influence the votes.

Almost all of my games ended up as culture victories, with warmongering mostly to give me the extra cities but also the overpowered pillaging to get ahead. I can never seem to get technologically far ahead enough to build spaceports and all those projects to complete the victory conditions in times before other victories emerge. Even if you can instantly build a spaceport there's always several other techs you need to research before you can get the exoplanet up, and that takes 50 turns to arrive (can be reduced) so I don't know how people ever manage that before turn 200.

Got Galactic Civilizatons free on Epic Games this weekend too, but the tutorial is too opaque to help me play the game. It'd be nice to play a different strategy game but maybe I'll do another 2000 hours of Civ 6...

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
By the end of the game it can get pretty hairy if you don't have any science city states to boost your buildings back up to compete with the CPU

The main stuff is just make sure you have a TON of cities, like as many as you can, amenities shouldn't be an issue by the end and you can buy new districts for them with Reyna or Moksha, obviously set all your spies to steal as many boosts as you can because it's not really tenable to get them all, and with the operations take less time and one that gives you 2 boosts per steal you can get them all boosted pretty reasonably

What else, um, don't be afraid to just go ahead and put a bunch of cities on campus research grants if you don't have any other way to generate science or do something useful with them. Also rush Globalization and try to be suzerain of a bunch of stuff.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Zombie mode kinda sucks.

I was expecting it to be kind of like raging barbarians where they're constantly spawning from outside your borders and rushing you, but half the time the assholes just pop up right next to a city or something.

Fortifications are worthless, all you really need is a ranged and melee unit at every city and you're fine.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Something crazy happened in my game: , Im Netherlands, I was doing a very peaceful game, I was allied to all my neighbours, and no wars so far

Than, in the Indrustrial Era, I got fed up with Shaka, who built 2 wonders I was also building and had some juicy coal I needed. And I also wanted to boost Nationalism

He was also an ally, so waited for the alliance to end, refused his requests to be friends, and after 10 or so turns (I was preparing for the war), I denounced him and than used the Golden Age casus belli to star a war with him

Well, next turn the world congress meet to discuss a "Betrayal Emergency" against me. I put 15 votes against it, but is no use: something like 45 votes in favor. Everyone voted yes, including all my allies (one of those allies, Pericles, also had denounced Shaka. But still he puts 13 votes on 'yes'). So now I had literally all the world at war with me

I reloaded a save before declaring the war, but what the gently caress? Is there a x number of turns I have to wait after declaring war with a former ally or what?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 20, 2022

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

if you declare war against someone you previous had a level 2 alliance with then it triggers a betrayal emergency. i don't think there is a time limit after expiration, but i've not tested as i don't generally betray friends for no good reason.

there are certain casus belli that won't trigger a betrayal emergency such a protectorate war, and maybe liberation. so if either of those are available you could try that.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Sounds like your game's cold war just got hot! Play it out :)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I never ally anyone, if we share a border you are a future target, and if not you are too far away to help or be a help

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Chandragupta posted:

I never ally anyone, if we share a border you are a future target, and if not you are too far away to help or be a help

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I ally a lot, because offensive wars are mostly tedious.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

i ally everyone as the trade routes are amazing.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

HappyCamperGL posted:

if you declare war against someone you previous had a level 2 alliance with then it triggers a betrayal emergency. i don't think there is a time limit after expiration, but i've not tested as i don't generally betray friends for no good reason.

Well, I had no idea

edit: in my defense, we were never really "friends " and I did had a good reason :(

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

What? But the Wisselbanken card exists. And alliance benefits exist. Not to mention the entirety of the culture victory.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Allies are good because they won't be able to target you with their spies (and the other way round too, of course).

Finished another game with the Maya went as sciencey as I could... culture victory turn 224, having travelled 8 light years. I think I have to switch off corporations mode, the +460% tourism booster just trivialises eveything else. Maybe would have won sicence victory if I'd saved up the 7000 gold to buy a spaceport a few turns sooner...

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

Allies are good because they won't be able to target you with their spies (and the other way round too, of course).

Finished another game with the Maya went as sciencey as I could... culture victory turn 224, having travelled 8 light years. I think I have to switch off corporations mode, the +460% tourism booster just trivialises eveything else. Maybe would have won sicence victory if I'd saved up the 7000 gold to buy a spaceport a few turns sooner...

Yeah....monopolies and corporations is kind of stupid. If you happen to end up isolated....you can get sub 130 culture wins on deity almost accidently. I like the IDEA of monopolies and corporations mode, but the execution felt lacking, kind of like zombies and apocalypse mode.

Hero's and Legends is also similarly imbalanced, especially if you end up with some combination of Hercules/Himiko and (if on a naval map)Sinbad. However, it is just more fun then monopolies or zombies or apocalypses despite this .

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Heroes are unbalanced in the fun way. Corporations are unbalanced in an unfun and unfair way.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

All of the frontier pass game modes are win buttons that the AI is unable to press.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Corporations is equal to 1.5 difficulty level reduction imo. Secret Societies a full level. Dramatic Ages (minus Georgia) is a full level harder. Religion is stunningly overpowered in vanilla, unless you explicitly choose bad beliefs and to not spend faith on tanks.

The frontier pack was great, just wish they'd have addressed balance more after screwing with it so much.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Corporations is equal to 1.5 difficulty level reduction imo. Secret Societies a full level. Dramatic Ages (minus Georgia) is a full level harder. Religion is stunningly overpowered in vanilla, unless you explicitly choose bad beliefs and to not spend faith on tanks.

The frontier pack was great, just wish they'd have addressed balance more after screwing with it so much.

It's not like the game was balanced before the frontier pack. Compare Russia to Kongo, for example. Or the unbalance of terrain - do you start in a nice hilly forested zone with lots of luxuries and bonus resources, or do you start in a sad unforested plain that's gonna spend half the game in drought.

Also, I find Dramatic Ages to be generally easier because you can easily poach cities from your neighbors without going to war. But I don't usually play on Deity so ymmv.

Before they spend time fixing the balance, I want them to fix the horrendous bugs, especially the multiplayer problems. Game should not crash just because we're playing on a custom map, or because there's too many forest fires, or because we put loving map tacks down.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

corporations kinda annoy me because they should be a real part of the game rather than just a game mode, but they're so broken it feels lame to play with them

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

How well does playing FElanor work with dramatic ages? Seems like all those free cities would be easy picking for a culture flip, bit I've never played that mode.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

How well does playing FElanor work with dramatic ages? Seems like all those free cities would be easy picking for a culture flip, bit I've never played that mode.

Pretty well. Warning about Dramatic Ages, though, don't ever slot the "Culture Industry" golden age card; it is bugged and will permanently remove your ability to build or repair districts.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

That sounds like a very big bug

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Sure they'll fix it any day now

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always ally with Gilgamesh the moment I see him, no matter what else I'm doing. You'd be a fool not to.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
The past two games I've played were a Dido culture victory on my first immortal attempt, then Lady Six Sky science victory on my first deity attempt. Both were no extra modes gathering storm, went really well and I ignored religion on both for the first time and it felt much more fun to me. Something about the religion minigame I find tedious and I'd rather focus elsewhere. Unless you're one of those crazy work ethic civs like Peter or Jayavarman with a Blatantly obvious and OP synergy with a specific tenet, Am I really handicapping myself that bad if I tend to start ignoring religion? I mean you can still get boosts it's just random basically now, and I still took advantage of feed the world in a couple of my cities.

Phyein fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 22, 2022

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

DontMockMySmock posted:

Pretty well. Warning about Dramatic Ages, though, don't ever slot the "Culture Industry" golden age card; it is bugged and will permanently remove your ability to build or repair districts.
IIRC the bug only activates if you have the card in play while going from one age to another. So it's still usable if you're careful, and considering how helpful it can be on harder difficulties may be worth the micromanagement.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Albino Squirrel posted:

IIRC the bug only activates if you have the card in play while going from one age to another. So it's still usable if you're careful, and considering how helpful it can be on harder difficulties may be worth the micromanagement.

My understanding is that the bug happens when you remove the card, and usually the reason that happens is because you advance to a new age (and it's either dark or the card is obsolete). I could be wrong though; I've only done it once.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
According to the wiki:

quote:

Bugs
Having Culture Industry slotted can impose a permanent 100% Production Production penalty when building specialty districts in existing cities. The bug is triggered in at least three different situations: during the transition to a new World Era, when changing governments, and when removing the Culture Industry policy card itself. This bug has been present since v1.0.10.15, and the only known way to fix it is to load an earlier save, from before the card was ever used.[1]

So it would seem to only be safe if you're going to want it slotted for the rest of the game, aren't going to change governments before the end of the game, and are certain you're going to have golden ages for the rest of the game, and the game is going to end before the end of the Modern era when the card obsoletes. Better to just never use it, I'd say.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Coming back to Civ VI after more than a year or so off. Lots of cool poo poo added. I’m LOVING the “huge earth historical start” game setup. I’m currently playing as Vietnam. Got three cities up and just trying to soak up the best territories I can, though I’m definitely dealing with a lack of production in this area. I do seem to have a lot of food and…tea. Which brings me to my question: I have the corporations mode enabled, though I never really played with it in Civ IV, and I’m not sure what to do with it here. Apparently of I have two or more of a luxury resource I can start a corporation?

Also, never not play on apocalypse mode. But speaking of that mode, while many disasters seem to have a “boon” of sorts after the disaster passes, what is the boon for handfuls of tornadoes ravishing my land? They seems to just murder people and tiles and I’m not getting anything back in return. Or is it only certain disasters like flooding and volcanoes that give a post-disaster boost?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Coming back to Civ VI after more than a year or so off. Lots of cool poo poo added. I’m LOVING the “huge earth historical start” game setup. I’m currently playing as Vietnam. Got three cities up and just trying to soak up the best territories I can, though I’m definitely dealing with a lack of production in this area. I do seem to have a lot of food and…tea. Which brings me to my question: I have the corporations mode enabled, though I never really played with it in Civ IV, and I’m not sure what to do with it here. Apparently of I have two or more of a luxury resource I can start a corporation?

Also, never not play on apocalypse mode. But speaking of that mode, while many disasters seem to have a “boon” of sorts after the disaster passes, what is the boon for handfuls of tornadoes ravishing my land? They seems to just murder people and tiles and I’m not getting anything back in return. Or is it only certain disasters like flooding and volcanoes that give a post-disaster boost?

If you have two of a resource, a builder can turn one into an industry (with Currency). If you have three, a great merchant can turn your industry into a corporation (with Economics). Max 1 industry or corp per city. Once you have a corp, the city can do a project to make products, which are great works that live in seaports or stock exchanges. The industries/corps give a hefty bonus to the tile, and also each luxury has a specific bonus granted by industries, corps, and products. If you get a monopoly on a resource (60% of the market or more), then you get bonus gold and tourism.

All disasters can give fertility bonuses except droughts and tornadoes, I think. Tornados are pretty rare usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Very good to know, thank you so much! My current game is going better than I’d hoped, because while I’m hemmed in as Vietnam doing a real world start, I was able to snatch China’s capital because they kept declaring war on my buddy Genghis Khan.

How is the Barbarian Clans mode? I find barbs a good mix of early game free XP and also a significant hurdle sometimes. I’m assuming Clans mode makes them even stronger and more organized?