Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there may as well not be dialogue when berry is on camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Goddam Batman 89 is so fuckin good.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so im reading good talk by mira jacob and doing that thing where i find the graphic novel memoir main character so insufferable and unlikable i end up sympathizing with other characters instead despite my having almost nothing in common with them compared to the actual lead or theyre unsubtly being coded as deficient or stupid in this case jacobs indian immigrant parents who did an arranged marriage

theres really a special kind of self unawareness specific to this genre i think possibly because of the kind of person you have to be to even want to write a graphic novel memoir its just rather striking how despite being completely miserable and self destructive in her american style serial dating habits it never once occurs to jacob that maybe the reason her love life is so hosed up is because shes internalized being a lovely communicator who loves to gently caress as being normal

you can also see how she does this at least in part to mentally distance herself from her parents who did not spend her childhood constantly making bedroom eyes at each other but who did spend that time having their poo poo together the incredible thing being that jacobs actually blames her parents for her lovely love life despite the fact that they are constantly telling her to do literally the exact opposite of whatever the gently caress it is that shes doing thats obviously making her feel like a depressed sack of poo poo

i was at eye rolling territory by the time the book finally explains how she met her husband and it turns out they went to the same childhood schools together just not in the same social groups and im like lady aside from the fact that hes not indian this is like the exact boyfriend your parents been bugging you to get your whole drat life and you are literally the only person who thinks that only losers marry their childhood friends even most americans think that kind of things crazy romantic

the irritating thing about this is thats only like a third the story is about how her wacky parents ruined her ideas of love with another third being trump bad and the other third being a fairly decent portrayal of the nuances of racism and the difficulty of explaining it to a kid and while she accurately describes weird white people poo poo as well as colorism within the indian cultural context she never comes to close to understanding that its her own reflexive self hating racism against indian culture that drove her and her brother into making bad dating decisions and that this had nothing to do with their parents except to the extent they were immigrants

the weird thing is as natural as it is to blame maus for this kind of crap maus itself kind of evades these tropes because so much of the story is told from vladeks perspective its not really a mystery why hes this weird crotchety stereotypical jewish guy most of his questionable personality traits in the present day were all there as a young man and a lot of them quite literally allowed him to survive the holocaust so its no mystery why they intensified as he became older because they were literally his survival mechanism

anyway thats some guy itts random graphic novel memoir rant thanks for reading

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus christ

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Goddam Batman 89 is so fuckin good.

In hindsight it's not that much dumber than any of the gritty reboots, and it's so much more stylish.

(Actually I guess 89 was technically a gritty reboot as well)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Some Guy TT posted:

anyway thats some guy itts random graphic novel memoir rant thanks for reading
cyberKeanuAvatar.jpg

(i read all of it and i'm definitely sorry that happened)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a cool production design wrapped around a bad movie.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

i would do anything for love

but

I won’t

do

that (vaccinate)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still needs the bit where a black security guard/cop lures the rioters away like he's pulling mobs in a mmo and the yakety sax chase

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I would do anything for lungs but I won't get vaxxed

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You just don't get it
it's smarter than you
you wanted a karate kid movie but he gave you what you needed, which was a 3 hour slog with the limpest critique of capitalism you could get away with in a disney movie

except loving Cruella had more teeth than Rian "auteur" Johnson

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

"Its time for the past to die" gandalf says in the amazon lord of the rings remake, turning frodo into a frog and never showing up again

"Its time for the past to die" paul says in dune part 2, as he falls into a pit of pro-harkonnen youtube recommendations

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

"it's time for the past to die," says Rian Johnson as he immediately jumps to making a sequel to his only successful movie in a decade

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh he made that movie brick lmao

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

holy poo poo the Rashomon-style J6 idea is brilliant. so much potential to show the varying delusions in America.

Mike Pence - dumbfounded when the rabid GOP base he helped create for decades turns against him for following a Constitutional process. perfect way to convey the delusions of the Republican elite
Ashley Babbit - her final 24hrs, perfect way to convey Q-Anon
the cops - a few perspectives of the police, from the moronic chuds to the ones just trying to do their jobs

then for the liberals a WaPo journalist who was there or something

I feel like AOC, no where near the Capitol freaking out thinking she's about to be killed when thr cops protecting her knock on the door is s perfect summary for liberals

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

rewatching hunt for red october again. hello dr. crusher.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

herman cain smiling up from hell

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

herman cain smiling up from hell

Herman Cain and Betty white running a train on meatloaf

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

meat loaf?

how about sweat loaf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-fE5NbilMw

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

"Its time for the past to die" paul says in dune part 2, as he falls into a pit of pro-harkonnen youtube recommendations

thats actually kinda what happens in the later books

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
how did rian johnson manage to get a reputation as an auteur?

from the films Brick and Looper?? how? They're regular old schlock

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Casey Finnigan posted:

how did rian johnson manage to get a reputation as an auteur?

from the films Brick and Looper?? how? They're regular old schlock

eh, i mean a reputation as an auteur to what end? a star wars movie? what got him hired for that? yeah i mean those are schlock so it makes perfect sense as a hire. they had no plan so they trusted him and he poo poo the bed.

as far as just in general? i don't think he deserves to be thought of as an auteur. there's nothing distinctive about him

Serf
May 5, 2011

does he have a reputation as an auteur? he made two movies i enjoyed i don't think that quite gives him that reputation

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i think the assumption here is that he must have been awfully well regarded by someone to be handed the keys to the star wars franchise sight unseen

Serf
May 5, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

i think the assumption here is that he must have been awfully well regarded by someone to be handed the keys to the star wars franchise sight unseen

the original plan was to let colin trevorrow make the 3rd one based on essentially nothing so maybe the lesson here is that these people don't know what the gently caress they're doing (if you want to make good movies, they still made plenty of money of course, quality doesn't matter when you have the name)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I was gonna make a farelly brothers joke but holy poo poo one of them directed the green book lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Serf posted:

does he have a reputation as an auteur? he made two movies i enjoyed i don't think that quite gives him that reputation

auteur has become a dumb internet-mortar and pestled to death term, but in some ways the functional internet meaning of it when deciphered to it's elements is "person who has a somewhat unique/different vision for something and is able to execute it without it being ground to design-by-algo dust"

it doesn't necessary mean it's a good vision for something, but that there is some humanity behind it. does rian count by the more internet-ified version of the word? i guess in some ways, but also i don't think he's done enough to conclusively say that. brick, yes, (though i didn't like it). and i guess knives out. tlj was a mess cut up and tried to salvage on the cutting floor by disney but it did have some interesting things that didn't work fully. looper was pretty by the books though i still liked it. that's really about it

Xaris has issued a correction as of 01:35 on Jan 23, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
now you can have people like yoko taro or kojima which do counts as exemplifiers. they have a unique vision from start to finish, probably before even anything hits the ground, and it's insane yet works so well because it's fully personified by their creative direction that it just oozes it out of it's very pores.

they don't have a lot under their belt or varying amounts, but likewise i would say something like verhoeven, , winding refn, asters, eggers, etc types count: dudes have a very distinct vision throughout from the pacing to the lighting to score to the themes and were able to execute it without focus grouped to death. i don't think there's a good English version for the word but like jagged/edgy, something that isn't going to have the widest smoothie-texture appeal to everyone for maximum profits and isn't aimed for that in the way someone like speilberg which has enough clout and power to do whatever he wants, but rather something they personally think is interesting and maybe it aligns with some people, maybe it doesn't for others.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Serf posted:

the original plan was to let colin trevorrow make the 3rd one based on essentially nothing so maybe the lesson here is that these people don't know what the gently caress they're doing (if you want to make good movies, they still made plenty of money of course, quality doesn't matter when you have the name)

its extremely funny how they decided to treat the worlds biggest pop culture movie franchise as if it were some kind of theater kid improv show and i cant imagine what possible thought process they went through to conclude that this was a good idea

Serf
May 5, 2011

Xaris posted:

auteur has become a dumb internet-mortar and pestled to death term, but in some ways the functional internet meaning of it when deciphered to it's elements is "person who has a somewhat unique/different vision for something and is able to execute it without it being ground to design-by-algo dust"

it doesn't necessary mean it's a good vision for something, but that there is some humanity behind it. does rian count by the more internet-ified version of the word? i guess in some ways, but also i don't think he's done enough to conclusively say that. brick, yes, (though i didn't like it). and i guess knives out. tlj was a mess cut up and tried to salvage on the cutting floor by disney but it did have some interesting things that didn't work fully. looper was pretty by the books though i still liked it. that's really about it

i just think you need to do it more than 2 times before you get called an auteur but i guess that's just splitting hairs

Some Guy TT posted:

its extremely funny how they decided to treat the worlds biggest pop culture movie franchise as if it were some kind of theater kid improv show and i cant imagine what possible thought process they went through to conclude that this was a good idea

every decision disney has made since buying star wars has been insanely dumb and i honestly have no idea what kind of clownshoes operation they're running over there

again, with regards to quality, the profit has been more than adequate

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Some Guy TT posted:

they wanted to repeat what feige was doing on marvel

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

josh04 posted:

they wanted to repeat what feige was doing on marvel

and more specifically, because feige has more control and it shows in everything being the same, they thought they could print money no matter what

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Serf posted:

every decision disney has made since buying star wars has been insanely dumb and i honestly have no idea what kind of clownshoes operation they're running over there

again, with regards to quality, the profit has been more than adequate
they're making money hands over fist so shareholders are happy, and c*o's are happy. that's really all that matters. ppl will line up to eat the disney trough that quality doesn't matter. a lot of that is parents who just want jimmy to shut up for 2-hrs and disney is a safe bet they can Trust. and others are disney adult fan freaks. they don't need to be cohesive or have plans for anything

hell they've made or in the process of remaking like about 20 of their animated movies into live-action remakes. they're mostly all terrible lowest effort poo poo possible, but it doesn't matter: ppl will watch the slop and they can renew their intellectual property in perpetuity if they do that. win:win

also to be fair, prior to buying star wars they were really dumb too. the whole eisner era was a big fart and the corp was dying because he was so bad that they even kicked him out. bob iger took the reigns and has been stupid but decided to jizz their immense capital buying a ton of property and now they're making infinite bucks so everyone is happy as long as the dough rolls in

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

when i think of auteurs i don't just think of directors who seem to consistently show they have authorship, or their own visual stamp, but are really doing "their own thing" so to speak, not just free of focus group meddling but even all existing conventions. directors like bergman, bresson, kubrick, dreyer, godard and truffaut, lynch, tarkovsky etc. maybe its just me because i dont want to get stuck arguing whether zack snyder and jesus franco are or arent auteurs

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

but are really doing "their own thing" so to speak, not just free of focus group meddling but even all existing conventions
yes that's the big piece. arguably the two are are more related than not, but yes sort of outside the framework of lets say 'mainstream' (although i also hate this term)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
zack snyder is an auteur

of poo poo

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

is Nolan an auteur

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

josh04 posted:

is Nolan an auteur
only if you pretend memento was the only movie he made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i like Nolan but he's a bit bland at times, i don't think he has enough of a distinctive vision, but people would fight on it