Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Blut can you clue us in on this rags to riches story with the details on how they went from immigrants with no money to sending you and your siblings to private school. I want to learn how to work hard enough to be able to do it for my kids thanks in advance. I had thought it was pretty much impossible to get into the country with no money. How did they even afford the plane tickets.

You know people who say annecdote fallacy is a thing just haven't met you.

He said siblings so it's at least 2. By his own claimed costs that's €450 his poor immigrant parents were able to set aside. I know many families barely earn that in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blut posted:

I had poor parents. When they arrived in Ireland they couldn't speak English, had no money and had no "elitist connections". And they were a skin colour that many people in this thread say Ireland is institutionally racist against. Somehow they managed to afford to send me and my siblings to private schools by working hard, raising us well enough to pass the entrance exams, and by making plenty of personal sacrifices. And somehow we all got into good colleges and now have well paid white collar jobs now by working hard. Seems extremely meritocratic to me.

If this happened consistently, it would be. But there are a great many people in many societies who also work hard and who get absolutely nothing to show for it. Hard work and good fortune may appear to be a deserving and to-be-expected reward from a well functioning society, but it requires you to believe that people who do not see the same outcome must be at fault.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Marenghi posted:

He said siblings so it's at least 2. By his own claimed costs that's €450 his poor immigrant parents were able to set aside. I know many families barely earn that in a week.

If those families can't bootstrap €450 a week are they even trying. What's the dole nowadays anyway like €1500 per week?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I remember why I have Blut on ignore now, real boards.ie posting energy/mindset

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I have a question on a broad generalisation so take it as such but why are the children of immigrants universally aresholes.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I do want to remind everyone that Blut absolutely believes that the Gardai are not racist because they personally have never had a bad experience with them so nobody else could possibly have.

Very clearly a sheltered middle-class lifestyle.

I'm absolutely astonished of the implication that parents can just put aside €150 per week to pay for private education. I belong to the first generation of my family who were expected to do their LC. My mother's side of the family had to drop out after the inter-cert to work because they couldn't afford to finish. Only half my father's side finished secondary due to the same issue.

It might be shocking for Blut to find out but before the Celtic Tiger a lot of Irish were very poor and relied on those who emigrated to send money back to the family to keep a roof over their head, let alone private education. It was only in the 1970s that public second level education was made free (minus book, travel, maintaining costs, which was still often too much for families).

I've dealt with privately educated people in third level education and they were some of the most dense members of the classes. Completely convinced that they could not be incorrect and unwilling to critically analyse their own work. I had to work with one directly for a project and all he did was copy and paste a Wikipedia article for his section and handed it in to the rest of the group at 10pm when we were due to present at 11AM the next morning.

Add onto this the fact that private institutions can hire those with less qualifications than public institutes, I don't hold private education to be a boon in Ireland (or in general). All it does is add a fancier name that might be recognized by the company and establish connections that the lower-classes won't have access to. The main difference is the funding available to the school. Aside from that, it does not offer a higher quality education compared to public education.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blut posted:

If you think a nurse or primary school teacher is part of the "elite" of society I don't know what to tell you.
You could tell me what primary degree is required to work in the local Centra?

I have a question on a broad generalisation so take it as such but why are the children of immigrants universally aresholes.
Apparently it's a thing where you are trying to ingratiate yourself with the ruling class of where you grew up to show them that you're "one of the good ones" and "not like those fresh off the boat scroungers" etc. An friend explained Priti Patel to me this way based on her own experience of growing up the child of immigrants.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

As a Canadian, where practically *everyone* is an immigrant or children of immigrants, just wanted to point out how idiotic and frankly racist your comment looks.

I mean "feckin' immigrant arseholes, amirite" is something you expect to see from a Harry Ulsterman type or the EDL.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I mean you could look at the obvious framing that you acknowledge where if everyone is an immigrant or child thereof then there's no stigma against being one and thus no need for the children of immigrants to try distance themselves from it in an obnoxious teenaged rebellion fashion like there is in places like the UK and Ireland, or you could assume that the framing you grew up with is universal and watch as we all roll our eyes and think "stench of yank off yeh" while you hope we don't check your rap sheet or post history in this very thread.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

As a Canadian, where practically *everyone* is an immigrant or children of immigrants, just wanted to point out how idiotic and frankly racist your comment looks.

I mean "feckin' immigrant arseholes, amirite" is something you expect to see from a Harry Ulsterman type or the EDL.

I said children of immigrants, not immigrants. Unlike you apparently I tend to consider them to be fully naturalised. I didn't mention race either.

Also just to hammer the loving point harder still. Some of the most obnoxious cunts I've ever met were 2nd Gen Irish "immigrants" in the US.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 21, 2022

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Blut can you clue us in on this rags to riches story with the details on how they went from immigrants with no money to sending you and your siblings to private school. I want to learn how to work hard enough to be able to do it for my kids thanks in advance. I had thought it was pretty much impossible to get into the country with no money. How did they even afford the plane tickets.

You know people who say annecdote fallacy is a thing just haven't met you.

Hard work tends to do it. If you think its impossible to get into the country with no money then how do you think the tens of thousands of immigrants in Ireland got here from Pakistan, Nigeria and other developing countries? Do you think the direct provision system has processed thousands of elite millionaires over the years?

"you made it to Ireland/America/the UK, you must be wealthy" shows a hopelessly arrogant, complete lack of understanding of the immigrant experience arriving to a first world country.

Marenghi posted:

That's absolute nonsense. You are the one who originally picked Eton and claimed it was ten times more expensive than private schools in Ireland. Pick a school in the Uk that does day rates then and compare them. Instead of being disingenuous and comparing two different modes of attendence. Of course day rates are going to be cheaper than full boarding, you could do the same comparision between 2 UK schools and get the same tortured conclusion.

Working at what? solicitors?

I know plenty of working parents and they wouldn't have €150 week to spend on private schooling. I was a full time engineer earning above the average wage with a stay at home wife. And even I didn't have that much aside each week after rent, insurance and everything else. Even if the wife went back to work the cost of childcare would have made it net €0 change.

You are obviously a troll, or have lived a very sheltered upper middle class life.

I picked Eton because its the British social equivalent of Blackrock College. Its the predominant "elite" school that most of the establishment went to, as Blackrock (to a lesser extent) would be in Ireland. If you're arguing about "elite access" being unobtainable to poor people then its the most relevant comparison.

Its €150 a week for a very limited time period - 2 years if they only attend for senior cycle. Less than €15k total in current prices. Its completely possible for a working class couple to save a small amount each week before that time period, and use loans during it, to spread that cost out over a much longer period. Thats 15euro a week, total, over a twenty year period, if you really want to break it down.

You don't need to be a solicitor to afford that, as is proven by the plenty of children in private schools whos parents are from much, much lower earning backgrounds.

Skull Servant posted:

I do want to remind everyone that Blut absolutely believes that the Gardai are not racist because they personally have never had a bad experience with them so nobody else could possibly have.

Very clearly a sheltered middle-class lifestyle.

I'm absolutely astonished of the implication that parents can just put aside €150 per week to pay for private education. I belong to the first generation of my family who were expected to do their LC. My mother's side of the family had to drop out after the inter-cert to work because they couldn't afford to finish. Only half my father's side finished secondary due to the same issue.

It might be shocking for Blut to find out but before the Celtic Tiger a lot of Irish were very poor and relied on those who emigrated to send money back to the family to keep a roof over their head, let alone private education. It was only in the 1970s that public second level education was made free (minus book, travel, maintaining costs, which was still often too much for families).

I've dealt with privately educated people in third level education and they were some of the most dense members of the classes. Completely convinced that they could not be incorrect and unwilling to critically analyse their own work. I had to work with one directly for a project and all he did was copy and paste a Wikipedia article for his section and handed it in to the rest of the group at 10pm when we were due to present at 11AM the next morning.

Add onto this the fact that private institutions can hire those with less qualifications than public institutes, I don't hold private education to be a boon in Ireland (or in general). All it does is add a fancier name that might be recognized by the company and establish connections that the lower-classes won't have access to. The main difference is the funding available to the school. Aside from that, it does not offer a higher quality education compared to public education.

Again, its less than €15k per child, total, to send them to a private school for the leaving cert cycle.

The vast majority of the first world (nevermind the rest of the world) has parents who didn't attend college, and had to work from their teenage years on-wards to support their family. How is this in any way unique?

How much did you parents spend on alcohol over your 18 year childhood? How much did they spend on cigarettes? Take-aways? Almost any family with two working parents can scrimp and save €15 a week if they're willing to make cuts. Its not easy, but it is doable.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Blut posted:

I had poor parents. When they arrived in Ireland they couldn't speak English, had no money and had no "elitist connections". And they were a skin colour that many people in this thread say Ireland is institutionally racist against. Somehow they managed to afford to send me and my siblings to private schools by working hard, raising us well enough to pass the entrance exams, and by making plenty of personal sacrifices. And somehow we all got into good colleges and now have well paid white collar jobs now by working hard. Seems extremely meritocratic to me.

Blaming society for your own life failures is a mental crutch, you were born into and live in one of the richest, easiest to advance in countries in the world, with one of the best social safety nets and education systems. You were born with more advantages than 99% of the population of Earth. If you're bitter about your life outcome you only have yourself to blame.

I think you're a loving liar buddy. You're a middle aged Brazilian immigrant who was educated in latin in Ireland, but your family were poor. No english, no money and dark skinned in 90s? Ireland. You mean your family were poorer than your social circle? I've had very wealthy people tell me that they grew up poor before, because they meant poorer than the neighbours.

The paragraph I've bolded is such a loving conservative fairytale.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Blut posted:

Hard work tends to do it. If you think its impossible to get into the country with no money then how do you think the tens of thousands of immigrants in Ireland got here from Pakistan, Nigeria and other developing countries? Do you think the direct provision system has processed thousands of elite millionaires over the years?

How much did you parents spend on alcohol over your 18 year childhood? How much did they spend on cigarettes? Take-aways? Almost any family with two working parents can scrimp and save €15 a week if they're willing to make cuts. Its not easy, but it is doable.

You are such a sack of shite.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blut posted:

How much did you parents spend on alcohol over your 18 year childhood? How much did they spend on cigarettes? Take-aways?
I was wrong, this is the funniest thing you've ever posted.

Southpaugh posted:

I think you're a loving liar buddy. You're a middle aged Brazilian immigrant who was educated in latin in Ireland, but your family were poor. No english, no money and dark skinned in 90s? Ireland. You mean your family were poorer than your social circle? I've had very wealthy people tell me that they grew up poor before, because they meant poorer than the neighbours.

I remember being told by a doctor's daughter from Dún Laoghaire that she grew up poor because their million+ (at the time) house didn't have carpet in one room until she was four years old.

They also took at least one trip to Amalfi every year, were in Venice every two years, her mother didn't need to work, and she had an ATM card aged 17, but sure, she grew up poor :jerkbag:

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 21, 2022

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Blut posted:

Again, its less than €15k per child, total, to send them to a private school for the leaving cert cycle.

The vast majority of the first world (nevermind the rest of the world) has parents who didn't attend college, and had to work from their teenage years on-wards to support their family. How is this in any way unique?

I was raised by a single mother on a minimum wage job who went out maybe once a year because of her responsibility to me. She didn't smoke, or have any other vices, not that it matters you absolute twat.

I had a good education at a good public school and I have a bachelor's degree under my belt, working towards a Masters.

It might shock you, but a lot of kids out there don't have two parents, and many more have two parents that have minimum wage jobs that still struggle to cover costs of public education, let alone private.

Your attitude is indicative of those who are privately educated - you have no loving clue what it is actually like to live paycheque to paycheque. You think you're above everyone else. Do us all a favour and gently caress off because you add nothing but bullshit to every thread you are in.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

I'm not middle aged, and didn't study Latin. hth

My family was significantly poorer than almost any Irish family starting off. As poor immigrants who arrive with nothing tend to be. Even a very poor Irish family in council housing is in a much better economic situation with their very low rent and English language fluency.

Dark skinned people in Ireland in the 1990s weren't as common as now, but they weren't exactly unicorns. It wasn't the 1950s. Where do you think the current generation of brown/black skinned people in their 20s/30s who grew up fully in Ireland came from?

If its a conservative fairytale then you can try telling that to the thousands of children of poor immigrants who're now middle class in Ireland. I'm sure they'll be delighted to know their lived existence is a fairytale.

Again, I'm sorry if your life hasn't worked out the way you wanted it to. But you were born into an incredibly privileged situation, better than 99% of the planet. If you're bitter about it you only have yourself to blame. Rather than taking a "bitter pill" and ranting about how hopelessly unfair life is on the internet you'd probably be better served going back to college for a mature degree and upskilling into a good career. Ireland has a great mature education system, you just need to be proactive and actually put effort in to improve your life.

Skull Servant posted:

I was raised by a single mother on a minimum wage job who went out maybe once a year because of her responsibility to me. She didn't smoke, or have any other vices, not that it matters you absolute twat.

I had a good education at a good public school and I have a bachelor's degree under my belt, working towards a Masters.

It might shock you, but a lot of kids out there don't have two parents, and many more have two parents that have minimum wage jobs that still struggle to cover costs of public education, let alone private.

Your attitude is indicative of those who are privately educated - you have no loving clue what it is actually like to live paycheque to paycheque. You think you're above everyone else. Do us all a favour and gently caress off because you add nothing but bullshit to every thread you are in.

I struggle to believe your mother couldn't afford to put aside €15 a week for her child's education. Not easily, but by working more hours, or by saving on something else. Thats such a minimal amount of money that its a conscious choice.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Blut posted:

I struggle to believe your mother couldn't afford to put aside €15 a week for her child's education. Not easily, but by working more hours, or by saving on something else. Thats such a minimal amount of money that its a conscious choice.

Go gently caress yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Skull Servant posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

I hope taking out your anger issues about your mother not prioritizing your education on strangers on the internet helps you in some way.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Blut posted:

I'm not middle aged, and didn't study Latin. hth

My family was significantly poorer than almost any Irish family starting off. As poor immigrants who arrive with nothing tend to be. Even a very poor Irish family in council housing is in a much better economic situation with their very low rent and English language fluency.

Dark skinned people in Ireland in the 1990s weren't as common as now, but they weren't exactly unicorns. It wasn't the 1950s. Where do you think the current generation of brown/black skinned people in their 20s/30s who grew up fully in Ireland came from?

If its a conservative fairytale then you can try telling that to the thousands of children of poor immigrants who're now middle class in Ireland. I'm sure they'll be delighted to know their lived existence is a fairytale.

Again, I'm sorry if your life hasn't worked out the way you wanted it to. But you were born into an incredibly privileged situation, better than 99% of the planet. If you're bitter about it you only have yourself to blame. Rather than taking a "bitter pill" and ranting about how hopelessly unfair life is on the internet you'd probably be better served going back to college for a mature degree and upskilling into a good career. Ireland has a great mature education system, you just need to be proactive and actually put effort in to improve your life.

Your family were poorer than travellers living on a roadside? Poorer than people in the flats in the grip of the 80s/90s heroin epidemic? The reason I'm calling you a liar is because you are leaving something very obvious out. Such as, ho hum, the extent to which your parents were educated for example?

At no point did I describe personal hardship, I've had a career I'm happy with so far. You however are attempting to make this personal in a way that I think is pretty gross. I think you are a oval office, sir.

15e a week for education? What the gently caress are you on about.

Edit: I think Blut may be Triggered

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

Your family were poorer than travellers living on a roadside? Poorer than people in the flats in the grip of the 80s/90s heroin epidemic? The reason I'm calling you a liar is because you are leaving something very obvious out. Such as, ho hum, the extent to which your parents were educated for example?

At no point did I describe personal hardship, I've had a career I'm happy with so far. You however are attempting to make this personal in a way that I think is pretty gross. I think you are a oval office, sir.

15e a week for education? What the gently caress are you on about.

Edit: I think Blut may be Triggered

I've broken down the €15 per week cost, do read up.

Travellers, that own a caravan worth thousands of euros? People in council flats, with heavily subsidized rents? Both of which groups speak fluent English, and have social connections in their community? Yes, most poor immigrants are infact initially in a significantly worse economic situation than either of those groups.

My mother was a high school dropout and my father completed the equivalent of the Leaving Cert. I eagerly await the poster that called nurses part of the societal elite calling them some sort of ivory tower academics.

You're the one who started ranting about the life being a bitter pill, not me. Which doesn't sound very happy to me. You're also the person angrily calling someone whos argument they don't like a oval office, which would suggest if anyone is triggered and not in control of their emotions well...you're probably the one who needs a xanax.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blut posted:

I eagerly await the poster that called nurses part of the societal elite calling them some sort of ivory tower academics.
I eagerly await you answering my question about what degree is needed to work in Centra, and I asked first. Get cracking.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You don't have to let yourself be trolled - I know I also dipped my toe in the slurry pit, but he's really not good enough at baiting to make it worth responding

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think getting our Token Blueshirt to air his views so plainly is itself a useful thing.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Blut posted:

I've broken down the €15 per week cost, do read up.

Travellers, that own a caravan worth thousands of euros? People in council flats, with heavily subsidized rents? Both of which groups speak fluent English, and have social connections in their community? Yes, most poor immigrants are infact initially in a significantly worse economic situation than either of those groups.

My mother was a high school dropout and my father completed the equivalent of the Leaving Cert. I eagerly await the poster that called nurses part of the societal elite calling them some sort of ivory tower academics.

You're the one who started ranting about the life being a bitter pill, not me. Which doesn't sound very happy to me. You're also the person angrily calling someone whos argument they don't like a oval office, which would suggest if anyone is triggered and not in control of their emotions well...you're probably the one who needs a xanax.

Blut you might be the purest conservative poster on SA. What are you preferred newspapers and media outlets?

I would encourage you to work on your reading comprehension, the remark "a bitter pill" was in reference to the 2012 film production What Richard Did, directed by Lenny Abrahamson. Afaict you would find it a heartwarming tale wherein justice prevails.

You're talking out your arse about education and savings btw. 15e or 150e a week what you and the rest of the daily mail readers demand of people has always been ridiculous.

I can't just leave this statement about travellers and lumpenprole renters alone or idly dismiss it as trolling. As such I will respond to the bolded statements.

You say caravans are worth 1000s of euros, well a house is worth six figures so shut the gently caress up. If you sell your house you'll have money, but no home. If you sell your caravan you will have, significantly less money than if you sold a house, and still also be homeless. This is false equivalency. Further to this travellers, infamously do not have good rates of literacy and the way Ireland has neglected the travelling community since the creation of the free state will go down as a black mark in our history. To further correct your nonsense, travellers are not one coherent community but made up of many communities with different demands and expectations in life. They cannot necessarily rely upon one another. Unlike your fantasy idea of life for a travelling person.

Dublin was essentially cleared out and made the way it is now due to decades of public policy which left poor people on the back foot or otherwise encouraged one to leave the city, the heroin epidemic from the 80s onwards, on into the celtic tiger bubble economy, to the decay and dereliction of the post 08 era cleared dublin city out as part of local policy. . So, for you, to turn around and say that someone from the flats is in an enviable position is a loving ridiculous statement. As uttered by someone who has never stepped foot into oliver bond or o deveney or fatima mansions or loving anywhere else the working poor of Dublin are allowed to live.

The references to gardai and nurses are a reference to the evergreen and unchanging nature of "middle ireland" wherein the people who occupy this niche have roughly speaking 3 jobs available to them. Nurses, teachers or cops. These 3 roles are fundamental to "upward mobility" in Ireland. Its a constant churn of people who are of use to the capitalists who control this country. No one said that nurses are ivory tower bigwigs, but between those 3 roles you have the core of the non civil service "Strivers" in the country.

Anyway, gently caress you still you soft brained oval office. If your parents could see what their private education paid for they'd probably regret not having a few more pints ; )

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Fair enough that was a good rant so all's well that ends well

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Jeezaloo :shittypop:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hey guys you see they decided Covid was ove- oh

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Who cares about covid being over, this is the real news.

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-investigation-pension-carlow-dead-body-5661320-Jan2022/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I do not like this Weekend at Bernie's reboot.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Our CSPE teacher was absolutely loving deranged, she was one of the 3 teachers left from when the school opened in the 70s and at this point I think just wanted a room full of kids to be mad at in 40 minute chunks. We'd open a book in class every few weeks or so and the rest of the time she'd be missing or stuck giving out about something. It was like a doss class almost but if instead of messing you just had to watch an old lady have a crisis instead.

In RE I was always picked to read because I hated it and would read from the book as loudly and as fast as possible because neither the rest of the class, nor the teacher could have given a soggy shite about RE. We watched like 80% of Alive in that class for some reason. I think that might have also been the class we watched The Green Mile in too. If it was a movie about Death Row my school had it on VHS

Awww, you got the cool videos, we only got abortion is bad propaganda.

When one of the girls in our class asked about abortion in the case of medical issues, the religion teacher proceeded to cry and scream that it was still a sin and how dare you, the poor little baby!!!

The English teacher was the one that barely showed up and we just watched a bunch of Shrek over and over.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Freedom day 2.0 lads.

COVID had ended forever and always just like they announced back in October.

I truly hope Omicon is mild and we're over the worst of it. But I'm also worried that our gov fails to learn from their past mistakes and will just cut testing and precautions to nothing so we're caught pants down if there's another variant.

Also the timing of rugby coming up next month had me a bit suspicious the end of restrictions has more to do with that than anything else.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

PowerBeard posted:

Awww, you got the cool videos, we only got abortion is bad propaganda.

Ah the baby in the bucket video!
Went to an all boy CBS school, male teacher at the time, and wheeled out the TV and made us watch this 70s video of abortions while he sat all red headed in embarrassment.
And he went redder when we were asking questions as our knowledge was limited to porn mags and 'the male seed meets the female egg' abstractism.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

My Carlow friend was sharing all the voicemails she got from people who were around the scene or knew someone there and it all just sounds unbelievably mental but extremely Carlow town, in all its Lynchian weirdness

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Marenghi posted:

I'm also worried that our gov fails to learn from their past mistakes

Hmm…

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Didn’t realise there was a thread full of Irish people on this forum until I saw a random Blut probe in the lepers colony. Sup Irish goons! What are you all doing with your new-found freedoms today? I might go to a restaurant and stay until 8:30 :smug:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Booked to go to the pub/DJ set at 5pm, so I guess I'm strapped in for a long night on the lash now

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Didn’t realise there was a thread full of Irish people on this forum until I saw a random Blut probe in the lepers colony. Sup Irish goons! What are you all doing with your new-found freedoms today? I might go to a restaurant and stay until 8:30 :smug:

I'm in work all day and then I have to go see the missuseseses da and his partner in Kildare. Shite weekend altogether. Last time we saw 'em yer one went on and on about how proud she was of her daughter for standing up to everyone by refusing to get jabbed, so I can only imagine what bullshit she'll be on about tonight. She works for the HSE, it was... illuminating

E: Also hello! It's always cool to find more Irish goons, pop into the LAN thread and let us know what you have in a full Irish please: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032503

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I'm in work all day and then I have to go see the missuseseses da and his partner in Kildare. Shite weekend altogether. Last time we saw 'em yer one went on and on about how proud she was of her daughter for standing up to everyone by refusing to get jabbed, so I can only imagine what bullshit she'll be on about tonight. She works for the HSE, it was... illuminating

Hahaha oh nooo.

Also, love your stuff in the DOOM/Retro FPS threads :)

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Shoehead posted:

E: Also hello! It's always cool to find more Irish goons, pop into the LAN thread and let us know what you have in a full Irish please: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032503

I think it's a performance thing, since so many GAA and Rugby players don't want to get jabbed. Or the rumour of ED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Oh goody, as a filthy Northener i can at least lurk there and see how Éire works when compared to my loony filled corner of the island. :sickos: