Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Sierra Madre posted:

You know, if COVID and our response to it didn't make us go 'none of this is working, whatever system we inhabit is woefully inadequate to dealing with today's problems, let alone tomorrow's,' I don't think giving children license to operate heavy machinery because there's this massive shortage of workers will.

Tell that to the people at the top of the pile that think capitalism is the "end of history"

Edit: Oh top of the page, better not waste it I guess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPqzfiesoJY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thatbastardken posted:

why invade when saber rattling and tough talk will satisfy a domestic audience and put pressure on your rivals to respond? wars are expensive and uncertain things.

Definitely prefer that 100% over anything which would get innocent people killed for the vanity of monsters.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"Seven secret herbs and spices" where it's three different kinds of sugar and four different kinds of salt.
It's 11 herbs and spices you philistine.

thatbastardken posted:

it's not clancy talk to suggest that militarily the china of 1979 is not the china of 2022. 43 years is a long time to develop doctrines and equipment, especially when you have the worlds 2nd largest economy to play with.
True but mainland China spends more on domestic security than its armed forces. With Xi Jingping at the helm I also doubt he would promote staff to marshal or general ranks based on their abilities rather than their political reliability.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Good.

Nasty rear end greasy sugar chicken.

"Seven secret herbs and spices" where it's three different kinds of sugar and four different kinds of salt.

they don't even sell crumpets.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Oh man remember when kfc sold mashies

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Definitely prefer that 100% over anything which would get innocent people killed for the vanity of monsters.

oh yeah for sure, sucks for all the people whose lives are impacted by the posturing of nations but it's better than getting dismembered by cluster munitions or some poo poo.

to be super clear i'm not saying the china should invade taiwan, merely that i think they could.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Bring back corn cobs.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

abigserve posted:

China could attack any second!!!! Let's buy tanks and planes, quick!!!

*Ignores last decade of outlandishly successful cyber and social warfare*

Imho - Russia and China have worked out how to fight in this century and it's got gently caress all to do with tanks and nuclear subs. Why fight someone when you can use the internet to age of empires wololololo them onto your side?

I think they developed that capability because a direct military confrontation with the US was out of the question and they needed some other means of pushing back against them. It’s been wildly successful though, they’ve bought the US to the brink of civil war simply by amplifying dumb conspiracy theories.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Of there's anything command and conquer generals taught me, it's that China's only strength is in numbers. Furthermore,

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bobvonunheil posted:

So one message that keeps doing the rounds with this whole WA/rest of Australia thing is the idea that actually, the east coast is fine, what are we worried about?

Can non-WA goons weigh in on what it's actually like living in what appears to be a post-apocalyptic hellscape to covid-zero (or at least covid-single-digit) WA?

I went to a wedding with 200 people and did all kinds of things over my summer break. I got covid at the wedding and I didn't feel unwell enough to justify chucking a sickie. It's fine. WA is a baby state for babies.

freebooter posted:

The only thing people in the eastern states can do that people in WA can't is travel interstate or overseas, but I wouldn't do that anyway - who wants to spend money on booking flights, hotels etc only to have to cancel it all at the last minute because oopsie you picked up COVID at the supermarket the other day.

My mate is on his honeymoon in Fiji (he had covid start of Jan) it looks sick I'm jealous.

Also on the food shortage thing if you go to the Vic or South Melbourne markets they're fully stocked because they're not beholden to knife's edge algorithmic supermarket fills.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 22, 2022

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

JBP posted:

Also on the food shortage thing if you go to the Vic or South Melbourne markets they're fully stocked because they're not beholden to knife's edge algorithmic supermarket fills.

I also heard the same for the Springvale and Dandenong markets.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dr_rat posted:

Legitimately interested to see what they do if they actually don't have chicken for a while.

Do they just close? Change the menu -to what?-, Have an existential crisis about the nature of their being?

The one local to me just closed when they ran out for the day

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Periphery posted:

I also heard the same for the Springvale and Dandenong markets.

All you local fruit shops, butchers and non chain super markets tend to be fine I’ve found.

People are just loving lazy.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hambeet posted:

All you local fruit shops, butchers and non chain super markets tend to be fine I’ve found.

People are just loving lazy.

Tldr please?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Good.

Nasty rear end greasy sugar chicken.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I'm still traumatized by the kentucky pie

not even the bullshots could make that thing look edible

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Red Rooster fried chicken (aka Jollibee) superiority :smuggo:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

go_banana posted:

Red Rooster fried chicken (aka Jollibee) superiority :smuggo:

Don't compare Red Rooster to Jollibee. Don't know if you've ever eaten at Jollibee's, but don't eat at Jollibee's.

...I mean their halo halo is okay, I guess.

bowmore posted:

The one local to me just closed when they ran out for the day

Cowards

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Should have done a Woolies run

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Todays antivax march was pathetic. It still took a long rear end time getting through but they were so obviously stretched out to make it look like it was a much bigger march. Everyone was like two car lengths apart. Whyre you social distancing you fucks

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Public is 98% masks and the stores are having persistent shortages of meat (I've been trying to get pork ribs all year), but other than that Canberra is basically back to normal

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Todays antivax march was pathetic. It still took a long rear end time getting through but they were so obviously stretched out to make it look like it was a much bigger march. Everyone was like two car lengths apart. Whyre you social distancing you fucks

You're a coinesseur of antivax marches at this point

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/LocalGuideMelb/status/1484653259843600384

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thatbastardken posted:

oh yeah for sure, sucks for all the people whose lives are impacted by the posturing of nations but it's better than getting dismembered by cluster munitions or some poo poo.

to be super clear i'm not saying the china should invade taiwan, merely that i think they could.

Yeah, we're definitely all on the same page here.

Except that anti-crumpet weirdo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

EoinCannon posted:

You're a coinesseur of antivax marches at this point

Sadly it was bound to happen because I live on one of their preferred routes. Only last weekend did they choose an alternative path

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Child care has had a COVID case every day this week, in different rooms.

Random meat is gone from the Coles - Chicken seems to be gone completely. Toilet paper is up and down, same with pain medication. No RATS for 2 weeks anywhere. Multiple local shops now empty and for Lease.

The good news is, work has RATS if you do get marked as a close contact or feel unwell. And queues at the test sites are much reduced- down to 30 minutes usually and results within 48 hours. SOMEONE is getting RATS and doesn't need to get the swab test done so it's lowering the pressure there.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think your attitude to kfc depends on whether or not you live in the superior state of Queensland, where we have access to hot and spicy as a year round permanent menu item (and nobody ever loving eats original recipe.)

I had the opportunity to try red rooster fried chicken for the first time recently and I’d rate it a big step up from KFC original and a moderate step down from KFC hot and spicy.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Comstar posted:

SOMEONE is getting RATS and doesn't need to get the swab test done so it's lowering the pressure there.

or more likely, 70% of the state has already caught omicron and there's not many people left who need to get tested

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I had the opportunity to try red rooster fried chicken for the first time recently and I’d rate it a big step up from KFC original and a moderate step down from KFC hot and spicy.

Disgusting. KFC is for fried and Red Rooster is for roast. Two houses, both alike in dignity.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah the spicy chicken burgs are pretty decent. Their chips used to be superb too but now they're sad as hell.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

The Lord Bude posted:

the superior state of Queensland, .

This thread gets worse by the day

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Putting KFC into your body is a revolting thing to do.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I might be a franchise thing. All the KFCs near me are owned by the one family and every one of them is poo poo.

They don't even salt their loving fries. SMDH.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I might be a franchise thing. All the KFCs near me are owned by the one family and every one of them is poo poo.

They don't even salt their loving fries. SMDH.

That too; there is considerable quality variation from one location to another.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

JBP posted:

Putting KFC into your body is a revolting thing to do.

Occasionally we all desire some dirty bird. Soon after, we all remember why we shouldn't.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
get korean fried chicken instead

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I''m vegan

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast