Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm just wrapping up gears 5 and when it's being Gears it's decent to good (barring some absolutely archaic design here and there), but I think it's the biggest semi open world failure I have ever played and you can just see the pressure to turn Gears into God Of War 2018 all over the place. The pseudo open world poo poo is a wild misfire. Both of the two big areas are so unbelievably boring with nothing interesting to do or see, none of the side story stuff is good. It's just this complete time waster while you drive around in one of the stupidest vehicles in video game history. I resented every moment I wasn't looking at set pieces or forward moving content. Both the snow place and desert were almost completely devoid of fun until you trigger some part where it turns into a normal game again. It's not a bad formula but Gears 5 completely fails at making it work and I hope they just go back to making it normal or actually do something interesting it in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I'm just wrapping up gears 5 and when it's being Gears it's decent to good (barring some absolutely archaic design here and there), but I think it's the biggest semi open world failure I have ever played and you can just see the pressure to turn Gears into God Of War 2018 all over the place. The pseudo open world poo poo is a wild misfire. Both of the two big areas are so unbelievably boring with nothing interesting to do or see, none of the side story stuff is good. It's just this complete time waster while you drive around in one of the stupidest vehicles in video game history. I resented every moment I wasn't looking at set pieces or forward moving content. Both the snow place and desert were almost completely devoid of fun until you trigger some part where it turns into a normal game again. It's not a bad formula but Gears 5 completely fails at making it work and I hope they just go back to making it normal or actually do something interesting it in the future.

Agreed. Best thing they could do at this stage is completely reboot the Gears story. There’s probably tons of people like myself who are only getting into Xbox over the last few years and trying to get into the latest games in the series is a tough sell when they’re so rooted in the storylines of games from decades ago.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Agreed. Best thing they could do at this stage is completely reboot the Gears story. There’s probably tons of people like myself who are only getting into Xbox over the last few years and trying to get into the latest games in the series is a tough sell when they’re so rooted in the storylines of games from decades ago.

They had a real opportunity with 4, and there is the skeleton of a reboot that you can see got buried in fearful rubble and now Gears is perma trash narratively

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I have played all of them except 4 (which I haven't played at all) at launch and have barely ever cared about the story. it's just a bunch of big meatballs shooting aliens and grunting, but it's mostly fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played a few hours of Gears 5 when it came out on Gamepass and knowing nothing about the prior four games besides that Mad World meme there's something that just felt incredibly... off about the story. Like it couldn't decide what kind of game it wanted to be.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I played the first game one hundred years ago and recently tried to go back to refresh my memory and go through the whole series like I did with Halo.

Gave up on the first one in that stupid night section where you instantly die if your toe touches the darkness.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah like it's not a big deal if a game is fun and has a bad story but it would be better if it also had a good story

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Games can have bad stories, most of them do, but they should also not waste my not-so-valuable time!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Games can have bad stories, most of them do, but they should also not waste my not-so-valuable time!

:hai: the ultimate sin

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

Like it couldn't decide what kind of game it wanted to be.

when the war ends it's hard to know what to do with a gear, much less five of them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The trajectory of the game is all over the place. It starts out with maybe one of the worst tutorials I have ever played. It just assumes you have not only never played Gears, but have never played a video game before and tells you how to do boring basic poo poo at a snails pace for I wanna say, 30 minutes? Then the game starts and you are running around some super colorful avatar looking planet which was really weird coming off grimdark gears games, but I was pretty neutral on it. Eventually you go home and there is literally like an hour straight of dull rear end talking head cutscenes. I don't know who these characters are cause I didn't play 4 tbh and I I know the old characters but don't care about a single one of them so I'm just dozing off.

Then the game actually starts again and it's the blandest blown out sci-fi iraq cover shooter poo poo and I am just about to hang it up until...All of a sudden it starts to get good as hell. environments are awesome, the whole hotel sequence is dope. It's just constantly throwing new enemies, set pieces, scenery and combat scenarios around and all of a sudden I am totally on board. You wrap all of that poo poo up and at this point I'm thinking this game is sort of awesome.

Then the protag switch happens. Which, I am totally cool with because I didn't really want to play the whole game as a Troy Baker sound alike meatball anyways. But I still have no idea why this happens. It's revealed almost immediately that he is fine. He just has a red arm and shaved his head and is moodier now. Why did we switch? Why wasn't I just playing as Kait to begin with? Is this an interesting development? I dunno who cares.

Then you go to the fishing village and it's pretty good. It's a very slow walk and talk area, but it looks cool and you run back through the whole thing fighting monsters which was pretty neat. At this point it's becoming increasingly apparent that it's about to become a Sony game and I'm starting to suspect I'm about to see the world open up and sure enough it does. Ok that's cool, oh wait no it sucks poo poo.

Almost The rest of the entire game is accessed via suffering through the blandest, emptiest open areas I have ever experienced. There is nothing cool to do whosoever. You scoot around on this stupid rear end sailboat sled through vast expanses of nothing just to get a point where the game starts again. I hate this thing so much. It's so dumb looking. There's some pit stops but they all suck. Almost all of them are "oh hey heres a pile of poo poo lets check it out oh noo a mob of locust were secretly here the whole time" and then you find some worthless upgrade component for R2-D2.

At least once you hit a story part it usually is at worst passable and at best pretty good. The open world just feels like very long load screens I have to play through though. Every time I get on that stupid skiff...yuck

Then you leave the snow area and get to play in the red snow area. Don't worry they brought the sled with them.

Chapter 4 is allright.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I’m playing 50 Cent Blood on the Sand rn. It’s pretty good tbh. Great soundtrack.

YO FIDDY, HIT THAT BIG rear end RAMP!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

I got to the open world part of that game, went "ew" and never touched it again lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I got to the open world part of that game, went "ew" and never touched it again lmao

I forced myself through it and there was nothing on the other side. 5 was a massive letdown playing it back to back with 4. I got to the end and was like yeah any enthusiasm for playing another one of these is dead and it was all down to making horrendous choices with flavour of the month "open world" bits and a story that straight up sucks. Felt like a huge missed opportunity because I considered 4 to be really strong once it warmed up.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

I’m playing 50 Cent Blood on the Sand rn. It’s pretty good tbh. Great soundtrack.

Where'd you get it? I want to replay it, but it's like $100 on ebay and I don't want to hook my ps3 back up just for 1 game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Diddler posted:

Where'd you get it? I want to replay it, but it's like $100 on ebay and I don't want to hook my ps3 back up just for 1 game.

Bought it in CEX for €12, I’ve had an alert up for months.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

JBP posted:

I forced myself through it and there was nothing on the other side. 5 was a massive letdown playing it back to back with 4. I got to the end and was like yeah any enthusiasm for playing another one of these is dead and it was all down to making horrendous choices with flavour of the month "open world" bits and a story that straight up sucks. Felt like a huge missed opportunity because I considered 4 to be really strong once it warmed up.

Well good to know I didn't miss anything. I somehow got to the end of 4 despite not liking it much.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

exquisite tea posted:

Windjammers 2 is a lot of fun. And the art is done by the same guys who made Streets of Rage 4 so you know it looks good.

There’s no tutorial for this game, at all? You just appear in front of your goal and press buttons hoping for the best. Some basic prompts would have been nice

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Crafty posted:

There’s no tutorial for this game, at all? You just appear in front of your goal and press buttons hoping for the best. Some basic prompts would have been nice
Bro.... lmfao. Avatar/post combo ftw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The original windjammers is a fun pseudo fighting game with a high skill ceiling that became a giant bomb meme so they rereleased it and there were a half dozen clones and now a sequel and everytime one of these games comes out its a huge hype event and then people say "dang i fuckin suck at windjammers" and they quit and the cycle restarts

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lethal League is a much better pong fighting game but Windjammers is still sick.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

The original windjammers is a fun pseudo fighting game with a high skill ceiling that became a giant bomb meme so they rereleased it and there were a half dozen clones and now a sequel and everytime one of these games comes out its a huge hype event and then people say "dang i fuckin suck at windjammers" and they quit and the cycle restarts

The secret to this is I always knew I was dogshit at windjammers and have never once clamored for a sequel

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I saw that, but it’s just a bunch of screenshots with pictures. What am I meant to do - memorise 15 button combos that have a picture to vaguely explain what they do? Give me a goddamn ‘press these buttons to do this’ walk through, it’s not 1985. I had some sort of special ability that gave me a button prompt on screen so I pressed it and it just made a fire. Cool

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sorry you have a hard time memorizing that Y is jump and to spin the stick for a curve shot. Praying for you in this difficult time.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

American McGay posted:

Sorry you have a hard time memorizing that Y is jump and to spin the stick for a curve shot. Praying for you in this difficult time.

Haha drat u totally owned that guy

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Thanks. Sick gang tags.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
:cheers:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I really like it when people are mean to other people on the internet. We could really use more of that in these trying times.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ColdPie posted:

I really like it when people are mean to other people on the internet. We could really use more of that in these trying times.

But no mummm you dont underSTANDDDDDDD! We were discussing video games and important, and they were WRONG AND STUPIDDD!

and if i don't tell them they're a stupid head HOW WILL THEY EVER KNOWWWWW!!!!!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Windjammers 2 definitely needs a playable tutorial, or at least a training mode like a real fighting game. Memorizing the 20 page how-to-play slideshow is not how you learn something like this, you have to get that stuff into your muscle memory to be able to use it. I basically had to create my own tutorial by swapping back and forth between the guide and a CPU match so I could get a feel for things.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah I have to admit I that I booted up the game, read half the slides, then hopped into a CPU game and felt like I was completely lost.

That’s definitely on me but they could have put in a little bit of tutorial that’s active

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

Why do people post like this?

Death’s Door has been my first big Game Pass love so far. Would never have bought it but it owns and I really enjoy it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Why do people post like this?

no friends irl, has to be

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

no friends irl, has to be
Yep.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Played some Hivebusters just now. Looks amazing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah it did even on my gtx 10xx

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't buy many AAA games on PC/for my laptop. A lot of ambitious indie titles and VR games, and I was starting to think my 1070 was too horribly out of date to bother, but game pass has made me realize that I just bought a bunch of horribly optimized stuff, because pretty much all of these AAA games I've tried run great on it. I can usually do 60fps, often at ultra, or in the case of some older games 120fps and it's really made me dig my laptop again. I was gonna sell it when I got a series X, but gamepass just sweetened the deal too much and now I use it all the time again.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
WJ2 should have a tutorial and seems hard but you'll pick up almost everything in under and hour of playing. Making good plays/reads comes later but the mechanics aren't too much to learn. Just play the PC on level 1 to learn stuff. They basically throw slow shots towards you each point.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I don't buy many AAA games on PC/for my laptop. A lot of ambitious indie titles and VR games, and I was starting to think my 1070 was too horribly out of date to bother, but game pass has made me realize that I just bought a bunch of horribly optimized stuff, because pretty much all of these AAA games I've tried run great on it. I can usually do 60fps, often at ultra, or in the case of some older games 120fps and it's really made me dig my laptop again. I was gonna sell it when I got a series X, but gamepass just sweetened the deal too much and now I use it all the time again.

Yeah im all about the 1070 gamer laptop. Workhorse machine for going on 5 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah due to a mix of CPU's and GPU's not really having he biggest performance increases, and computers just generally being pretty overpowered for what they need to do, now days pretty older computers are usually fine running new games and often just with decreasing stuff in the graphic settings that you probably aren't even going to really notice that much anyway.

There is serious amount of diminishing returns happening with a lot of modern games higher graphics settings.