Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Jhet posted:

Because taste, experience, and preference is subjective, not objective. Your preference is for light roast is awesome, and there’s a lot of awesome for you to explore. But it’s not for everyone and that’s okay too.

Did you not read the thread title?

It’s not about your preference. It’s about the coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jhet posted:

Because taste, experience, and preference is subjective, not objective. Your preference is for light roast is awesome, and there’s a lot of awesome for you to explore. But it’s not for everyone and that’s okay too.

having tried (and succeeded, technically) to light roast some wet-hulled sumatran coffee, i can confidently say there's also a good reason certain styles aren't done that way very commonly

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 16, 2022

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Jhet posted:

well, yes, I’m aware that tastes, wants and needs vary from person to person. I used “objectively” as a tongue-in-cheek, and it was an attempt at humour through hyperbole to say “I really prefer light roasts, these are the bee’s knees” :)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ulvir posted:

well, yes, I’m aware that tastes, wants and needs vary from person to person. I used “objectively” as a tongue-in-cheek, and it was an attempt at humour through hyperbole to say “I really prefer light roasts, these are the bee’s knees” :)

I did not pick up on the tongue in cheek clearly. I’m with you on taste myself. Light roasts and unique fermentation techniques are really fun and enjoyable to drink, but there are beans that need Medium+. I just get perturbed by the very obnoxious snobbery that exists out there. Enjoy your coffee is all I care about.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Jhet posted:

Enjoy your coffee is all I care about.

on this we agree completely

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It sounds weird but I occasionally like to make a french press and add some full-fat coconut milk from a can. It has to be a darker medium-ish roast to stand up to the strong fatty flavor and it's really good.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I dont mind a medium or dark roast but a bunch of places just burn the poo poo out of their coffee, which you can tell right away with a single whiff, and you try to convince yourself that it will still taste OK but you know it wont

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

It sounds weird but I occasionally like to make a french press and add some full-fat coconut milk from a can. It has to be a darker medium-ish roast to stand up to the strong fatty flavor and it's really good.

That sounds amazing. I've been thinking lately about trying to imitate Cuban cortado-style espresso by just dumping some sugar in my Clever before I put the grounds in lol. I'm mostly curious to know how that changes the brewing process. Also my beans are old and I'm not getting more for another week-ish so it's time to be weird, right?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

My take is that it's easier for coffee normals to get a decent cup from a darker roast, and it requires more effort and knowledge to get the most from a lighter roast, generally speaking. That being said, light roast ftw

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Google Butt posted:

My take is that it's easier for coffee normals to get a decent cup from a darker roast, and it requires more effort and knowledge to get the most from a lighter roast, generally speaking. That being said, light roast ftw

Hi, I’m the aforementioned coffeenormal, and I 100% agree with this post. I’ve had several different preparations of lightly roasted coffees that have been absolutely amazing, but that I am singularly unable to replicate at home. Medium to dark roasts seem to be a ton more repeatable for mere mortals (who do not possess the skill or equipment for espresso) such as myself.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

mistermojo posted:

I dont mind a medium or dark roast but a bunch of places just burn the poo poo out of their coffee, which you can tell right away with a single whiff, and you try to convince yourself that it will still taste OK but you know it wont

So for Christmas I got a bunch of different coffees, some interesting, some preground stuff and some whole beans (I am remarkably easy to please) and I've been working through them in between my weekly coffee subscription stuff. One of them was a preground listed as "a strong bold dark-roast coffee" and my god the stuff was just black. The opened bag smelt of burning and my immediate reaction was "this is going to be bad" and then when I brewed it the normally rich brown colour of the grounds hitting boiling water was also pretty much black. It was seriously rough and I haven't gone back to it yet but I also haven't thrown it out yet. Maybe I'm hoping it'll serve as extreme-wake-up-juice or something, I dunno.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I generally prefer a medium roast as I primarily drink espresso and can't really push ratios above 1:2, which is often desirable for a light roast.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Megabound posted:

I generally prefer a medium roast as I primarily drink espresso and can't really push ratios above 1:2, which is often desirable for a light roast.

Yeah I’ve been very much enjoying light roasts as espresso as long as I’m pulling like 1:2.5/3. But I also really like light roast, acidic, fruity natural coffees.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Oh yeah, I enjoy them in doses, but it's hard to get past a extremely strong tartness in some of them, indicative of underextraction, unless I'm very careful in my prep and heat my group hotter than usual. Just to clarify my 1:2 is a physical limitation of the LaPavoni, I have a 14g basket and can usually on get a max of 30 - 32g out so I always just aim for 28.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

TheDarkFlame posted:

Maybe I'm hoping it'll serve as extreme-wake-up-juice or something, I dunno.

We associate lovely coffee with wakeup juice bc it used to be robusta'd to the gills.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Megabound posted:

Oh yeah, I enjoy them in doses, but it's hard to get past a extremely strong tartness in some of them, indicative of underextraction, unless I'm very careful in my prep and heat my group hotter than usual. Just to clarify my 1:2 is a physical limitation of the LaPavoni, I have a 14g basket and can usually on get a max of 30 - 32g out so I always just aim for 28.

This was me when I started with the Neo. I just did back to back 12g in / 30g out batches with a slight tweak each time to experiment, like grind size, temperature, or ratio. Let me do longer ratios while still getting enough overall coffee.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

over here drinking pure crushed carbon

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

So my setup is a Breville Infuser with a Baratza Encore.

I was the one that posted about buying the 80-step pin from the dude on Reddit that 3D printed them. I decided on this instead of the stepless mod because the stepless leaves it prone to slipping, and I very much value not having to fiddle with my grind setting after every shot.

New pin in the clear one, printed in resin

The click feels less smooth than the original, but does not at all feel like it’ll slip. We’ll see if the pin breaks, but dude sent me 2 for $10 so I have a spare.

While I had it open I also reset the calibration to grind finer (espresso start point went from #6 to #12). It squeals now when I go below #9, but after googling Baratza support said this is expected behavior. The other negative is it now takes longer to grind because the beans have a harder time finding their way between the burrs. One giant positive though is I’m getting nearly zero fines that make their way through the basket. In every shot I used to get so many that the last sip was always a gritty mess.

While not as perfect as a more expensive espresso grinder, IMO this was definitely worth it. Previously, once I found my choke point i couldn’t back off a grind setting, and I’d have to make dose adjustments as big as 2.5g sometimes. Now sometimes the single back off works, and if it doesn’t my dose adjustment is more like .5-1g. The calibration adjustment also should let me be ok if I end up with an IMS basket like I’m considering.

Link to the dude who made the thing. It’s got a print file, and if you message them on Reddit they’ll ship you one.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think dark chocolatey roasts tastes comforting in a way. Even (some) gas station and McDonald's coffee has that quality for me. I think it's purely the association of things getting easier if you have that particular cup.

Usually I prefer light roasts but sometimes I wanna have a dark, charred cup that tells me everything is going to be fine.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hawkperson posted:

That sounds amazing. I've been thinking lately about trying to imitate Cuban cortado-style espresso by just dumping some sugar in my Clever before I put the grounds in lol. I'm mostly curious to know how that changes the brewing process. Also my beans are old and I'm not getting more for another week-ish so it's time to be weird, right?

trip report I did this and it was kind of loving awesome, would do again

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
There's one independent roaster here in my city that consistently roasts pretty dark, and I like their beans occasionally as long as I'm just using it for pourovers at no hotter than maybe like 195 fahrenheit. I kind of like that they're just doing their thing in a sea of roasters that only do light, especially because I've occasionally gotten some pretty grassy bags from the light roast guys if they get a little too buck.

Probably the biggest third wave roaster here has started marketing small darker roasted runs of their single origins, but they're still no darker than maybe a very light medium.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

RichterIX posted:

There's one independent roaster here in my city that consistently roasts pretty dark, and I like their beans occasionally as long as I'm just using it for pourovers at no hotter than maybe like 195 fahrenheit. I kind of like that they're just doing their thing in a sea of roasters that only do light, especially because I've occasionally gotten some pretty grassy bags from the light roast guys if they get a little too buck.

Probably the biggest third wave roaster here has started marketing small darker roasted runs of their single origins, but they're still no darker than maybe a very light medium.

Notes of alfalfa? Hard pass.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t know why I bother trying to improve my brewing process when I can instead just have a donut with my morning coffee since it makes any coffee* taste incredible.

*anecdotal claim tested on 2 beans to date. More testing required to substantiate conclusion.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Made beignets this morning can confirm

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Democratic Pirate posted:

I don’t know why I bother trying to improve my brewing process when I can instead just have a donut with my morning coffee since it makes any coffee* taste incredible.

*anecdotal claim tested on 2 beans to date. More testing required to substantiate conclusion.

Baked goods make coffee taste better, that's simply science.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Has anyone tried those Cometeer capsules? I saw them on Hoffman's channel and the first pack is 25% off. $50 for 32 cups isn't great and I'm sure the smarter move is to just spend that money on beans I know I'll like, but it's tempting if only to satisfy my curiosity.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

haven't tried but it's very funny they try to market selling poo poo that requires just as much packaging as keurig pods but also constant freezing temperatures during shipping as sustainable

seen a lot of people say they're better than 'specialty' instant and worse than any real coffee you'd make with good beans, which sounds about right

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My local Crate & Barrel is closing next month. On a lark, I headed over this weekend in hopes of finding a clearance Moccamaster

They didn't have that, but they did have 40% off a Breville Precision Brewer. Snatched that right up.

The upgrade from the 5-cup Kenmore drip machine that came with my apartment is revelatory

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Has anyone tried those Cometeer capsules? I saw them on Hoffman's channel and the first pack is 25% off. $50 for 32 cups isn't great and I'm sure the smarter move is to just spend that money on beans I know I'll like, but it's tempting if only to satisfy my curiosity.

I had a friend who worked there and he got me a bunch of them before they went live. I posted a review a while back in the thread, but it's not worth finding in hindsight.

In short, it is without a doubt the best "instant" coffee I've ever had and I think is available. Everything I had was complex and sweet, only lacking a little acidity on some of the high altitude washed light roast stuff. It was better than what I'd find in any coffee chain and most independent coffee shops outside of major cities.

For a daily habit, it makes no sense to a coffee nerd with a good grinder, beans, and brewer. But for someone who wants to serve or drink great coffee but doesn't do it often enough to invest in those things, it's perfect. Or for someone who doesn't care about the expense or waste and has no patience for grinding and brewing their own, I guess.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

thanks for the replies

I think if the kits had greater variety I'd probably pull the trigger. The best they do (as far as I can tell) is 8 cups of 4 beans/roasters. 4x8 would be a lot better, IMO. I like the idea of being able to get a pretty fair (if imperfect) sample of a bean without necessarily having to dial it in, and in writing this I'm convincing myself to get a cupping setup, which I guess is what I actually want.

Zank Frappa
Oct 16, 2006
Freak me out Frank.

I got gifted a bag of Starbucks blond roast beans for Christmas and just pulled a shot. I got this amazing buttery/ creamy mouthfeel I’ve genuinely never experienced before it was wild:shrug:.

I usually will go for a medium roast but with that said I also enjoy a gritty cup of pre ground dark roast french press in a mug with milk so I may be a philistine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought their veranda blonde a few weeks ago and it tasted mild and fine. No bitterness whatsoever.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just to ask a potentially stupid question: it’s only roast level that has anything to say wrt brew temperature, right? I can treat all light roasts the same regardless if the process is washed or natural?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

ulvir posted:

just to ask a potentially stupid question: it’s only roast level that has anything to say wrt brew temperature, right? I can treat all light roasts the same regardless if the process is washed or natural?

Each bean will be a little different, but in my experience, the largest factor will usually be the roast level.

Edit: I tend to go with 98c water for my light roast pour-overs. Any hotter and it tends to taste over-extracted.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 21, 2022

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

ulvir posted:

Yes. But also there’s ever smaller % gains to be found in really dialing in brew parameters. Basically when it comes to water temperature the density of the bean itself is the variable you’re interested in. Higher altitude, speed of growth, what varietal it is, and more are all elements that inform you of the likely density.

But honestly I think Hoffman got it right in just using barely-not boiling water for everything and adjusting grind to suit. This is for brews, not espresso mind.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ulvir posted:

I can treat all light roasts the same regardless if the process is washed or natural?

for immersion methods with light roasts it's easy enough to just use boiling water for everything and manipulate other variables like time and agitation, as it's very difficult to overextract. for percolation methods like pourovers you'll have to judge just how light your light roast is, to some extent, since the lighter end of the spectrum will want hotter water to avoid underextraction. people often treat water temperature as if it is its own separate independent variable that affects flavor, rather than being just one of many variables that contribute to how much extraction you get

also i think a lot of naturals can taste better a little less extracted than the same washed bean, especially if it's less than perfectly processed and has some earthiness/other undesired ferment flavors that you would like to minimize

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 21, 2022

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ty all

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Favorite 6 oz and 8 oz latte mugs? Don't care if they have a handle or not, just looking for semispherical so it's easy to do art.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I like the 6.5oz Fellow Monty milk art cups. I have the white/copper ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

today was the first time I brewed with really fresh coffee, like roasted last week fresh (our previous bags of beans were gifted to us sometime after august and we finally got a grinder etc this christmas), and it was really interesting to see how different everything (supposedly) behaved in the cone even after blooming. it felt like the brew was much more voluminous in there and I was more worried about overfilling it than I was even with the last light roast