Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Moola posted:

yeah the show has a LOT of references, I think the reason I actually enjoy them is that they are mostly very deep cuts

less "REMEBER X-WINGS!" and more referencing extremely specific things from ancient episodes only turbo nerds will remember, like the Exo-comps for example

Even the references to Star Trek: TAS have been made more often than I thought they'd be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I decided to hold off on my Breen so my Dad gets better and we can laugh at it together.

I watched episode 4 of Borba instead. Other than the Thundercat cameo, it was meh.

I fully recommend Thundercat. His music is great.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
episode 4 of Bubba gave me a "is this really what Star Wars is now?..." moment when they show that body enhancement mod shop, that basically has a Cyberpunk aesthetic and music that does not fit in star wars at all

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Moola posted:

episode 4 of Bubba gave me a "is this really what Star Wars is now?..." moment when they show that body enhancement mod shop, that basically has a Cyberpunk aesthetic and music that does not fit in star wars at all
It's what Star Wars has been for 20-40 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXZsQWPyGPI

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dr. Thoss posted:

Super is great. Another film in the "regular guy thinks he's a super-hero" that i'm fond of is Defendor. It was apparently a flop, which i suppose isn't a shock, since it's a an independent Canadian movie that presumably never got a wide release. It's got Woody Harrelson, Kat Dennings and a weaponised jar full of bees!

It's pretty good, I had forgotten the name

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Finally saw No Way Home, a movie made exclusively for people that have watched every marvel associated piece of media for the past twenty years.
It was fun, but after two hours of I UNDERSTAND THAT REFERENCE, it wears a bit thin.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

X JAKK posted:

Finally saw No Way Home, a movie made exclusively for people that have watched every marvel associated piece of media for the past twenty years.
I would say that's overselling it, if only for the complete lack of Ben Affleck as the one true blind lawyer by day, vigilante by night.

Bring back ben you cowards!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Charlie Cox Daredevil cameo was the highlight of that film for me and it happens in the first like… ten mins

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Charlie Cox Daredevil cameo was the highlight of that film for me and it happens in the first like… ten mins

lame I was hoping he would get to punch some mans on the big screen

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Dr. Thoss posted:

Alright. There were some insurmountable technical difficulties with tonights stream as my ISP is apparently making GBS threads the bed. I'll try again next week.

I just wanted to say I greatly appreciated you volunteering. Didn't work out but it can't always, you have my thanks :)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hackers film 1995 posted:

rise of skywalker made a billion so lets not pretend they are going to make at least one more trilogy. plenty of people to eat the slop. just might take a couple more years for producers to think people forgot.

I’m convinced that we won’t see another trilogy. The idea of continuing the main “episode” Star Wars movies died during the press run-up for ROS when they tried to rebrand them as “The Skywalker Saga”. I predict that by the next May 4th, every Star Wars project they announce will be streaming-related. (Plus more theme park and hotel poo poo.)

kalel posted:

haven't seen it but I'm willing to bet it's a really great video to show people who are on the fence about nfts and are susceptible to falling for obvious grifts

The Olson video would be good for this purpose, except it’s just too long. Like, my dad’s neighbors have been trying to get him into crypto, and I would love to have a straightforward video to send him that breaks down how bad it is, but he’s not gonna sit down for a >2 hour video essay.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Did Gal Gadot actually kill a child or speak positively about child killing in public or is her being a child killer just an anti-Israel meme or what?

She was an IDF public relations person, so she did speak positively about child killing publicly because that was her job.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Moola posted:

yeah the show has a LOT of references, I think the reason I actually enjoy them is that they are mostly very deep cuts

less "REMEBER X-WINGS!" and more referencing extremely specific things from ancient episodes only turbo nerds will remember, like the Exo-comps for example

Do they reference the fact that Exocomps were from anime?

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

reignofevil posted:

I just wanted to say I greatly appreciated you volunteering. Didn't work out but it can't always, you have my thanks :)

Happy to help! Plus, it makes it easier to justify the money I've spent on external hard drives and pc upgrades to support the other movie night I do if I'm getting more use out of them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1484766823946072064?t=gA6hx7xJOTcw8VwPQ-WzaQ&s=19

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tip posted:

I think one big issue with TV reviews is that 90% of the ones listed for a "season" are actually just reviews of the first one to three episodes, whatever was available when the season premiered

this might be ok for highly episodic shows but lol they don't make those anymore

it's like if movie reviews were written entirely by people who only saw the first 30 minutes

For sure. There's also so much more TV than movies, so its pretty much impossible for any reviewer to watch everything which means you dont get the consistency you might with a single movie reviewer.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/1484719515720167425?s=20

Total Recall was a solid A, but fine

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i find this acceptable

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

No Conan completely invalid

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s pretty wild how far True Lies has dropped in popular opinion. It was huge when it came out but rapidly became pretty cringeworthy for several reasons like the racism, molestation on set, terrorism getting real after 9/11 etc.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there was that guy who kept peeing his pants

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Id probably drop Terminator 1 and Commando a tier and put Conan in the top but otherwise seems like a fine and kind of normal opinions?

Having 3-4 absolute bangers in your career as an actor is pretty dang good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also Jingle all the Way should be A tier imo. It’s the best one of his “regular guy” roles.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Id probably drop Terminator 1 and Commando a tier and put Conan in the top but otherwise seems like a fine and kind of normal opinions?

Having 3-4 absolute bangers in your career as an actor is pretty dang good.

i'd probably also swap Total Recall and The Running Man.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no Conan
Total Recall not at S-Tier

gently caress off!!!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Flinger posted:

No Conan completely invalid

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

no Conan
Total Recall not at S-Tier

gently caress off!!!

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Batman Forever is S tier. Eraser is D tier he's wooden as poo poo in that, but the scene where he busts out of the floor dual wielding railgun prototypes saves it from the F.

I'd put True Lies at B if only because I thought he had chemistry with Tom Arnold.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Nobody ever remembers this but Batman Forever is the 3rd movie (and has a good chunk with Robin) and Batman and Robin is the 4th movie that's mostly about Batgirl.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Batman and Robin should be a solid A tier at least, and where the gently caress is conan

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I feel when people think of Commando they just remember the 5 minutes where Arnold kills every grunt on the island and forget the rest of the movie.

B at best.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Vakal posted:

I feel when people think of Commando they just remember the 5 minutes where Arnold kills every grunt on the island and forget the rest of the movie.

B at best.

I only remember him pushing the humvee down the side of the mountain.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Batman Forever sucks poo poo, I watched it yesterday. Val Kilmer looks like he’d rather be anywhere else.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Moola posted:

I had to laugh at the awful techno music in the montage and the guy saying he didn't close her up because he didn't want to cover the beautiful machinery. What the gently caress are you talking about? You live on a planet full of sand and dust. A ton of poo poo is going to get in there. So yeah, close it up.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Do they reference the fact that Exocomps were from anime?

Lol that's cute

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I only remember him pushing the humvee down the side of the mountain.

I feel Raw Deal from 1986 doesn't get enough love. It's not a great movie, but features some of the best squib work I've seen in an action movie.

That and it has a scene where Arnold tears around a quarry in a convertible and kills dozens of people with an uzi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2pCAPeHRFc

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lister posted:

I had to laugh at the awful techno music in the montage and the guy saying he didn't close her up because he didn't want to cover the beautiful machinery. What the gently caress are you talking about? You live on a planet full of sand and dust. A ton of poo poo is going to get in there. So yeah, close it up.

Also why does a "gut shot" require replacing part of your spine and all of your lower internal organs lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Moola posted:

the show is really driving me up a wall. So far it has two episodes that are like "here is star wars on tatooine with all the stuff you recongize, cozy and safe" and then two episodes of like "how the gently caress did Disney sign off on a drug fueld vision quest spurring on a series of brutal gangland killings. what the gently caress is going on"

it really seems written by completely different teams of people.