Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Conveyor belts can usually get down mountains pretty well. I use some conveyor towers from the workshop to help them along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Anyone playing with rail DO having the issue where they refuse to mix cargo so they stop delivering certain goods? The office currently has 2 boxcarts sitting with some 2-3 tons of electronics, and refuses to use the rest of the empty space in them to deliver food. If I empty them or buy a new empty boxcart it picks it up right away and delivers food. But eventually it gets stuck with a few tons of electronics again. It's set to fill the warehouse up to 30% and there is room for about 14 tons of electronics.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I am scared of trying to start building rail. What if the initial rail I lay wasn't optimal for expansion?!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Just give it plenty of space and keep the main line far from urban zones and you should be good to fix it later regardless

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yeah loving up is how you learn, I recommend just going hog wild cuz that's how I learned why I shouldn't do certain things

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Whenever you realize a design is suboptimal, format your machine and start over from there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Optimal for expansion is like rail lesson number 10 and you're going to be defeated by such a daunting task trying to do it straight off. Aim for achievable goals like a train can make it to destinations, then graduate to trains can make it to destinations using detours around rail construction. Only worry about galaxy brain things like "can expand without onerous detours and delays" for your 50th or 60th rework of the network and use your cash reserves to fix the mistakes that threaten mass infrastructural collapse along the way.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah the first train lesson is “I haven’t seen that train in awhile” and then finding out all 6 trains in your network managed to trigger an edge case with a poorly signaled interchange and are now stuck.

Also it just started snowing and the workers for the power plant are on one train.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Asproigerosis posted:

I am scared of trying to start building rail. What if the initial rail I lay wasn't optimal for expansion?!

Be at ease, comforted by the knowledge that it absolutely will not be. No matter what track you lay, you have hosed up, and your future self will despise your laughably terrible, pitiable attempt.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

yeah the optimal rail layout is one that has enough space for you to add random turnabouts and whatnot to resolve your mistakes

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Be at ease, comforted by the knowledge that it absolutely will not be. No matter what track you lay, you have hosed up, and your future self will despise your laughably terrible, pitiable attempt.

Fray posted:

Whenever you realize a design is suboptimal, format your machine and start over from there.

Minenfeld! posted:

If you're not doing constant five-year plans you're playing the wrong game.

The true W&R meta

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I thought I had train signaling figured out but apparently not.

I'm starting a new settlement and want to connect it up with rail for construction and later transport. But the incoming rail constructor is blocking the outgoing one. Despite that the incoming one is going to a different line, this is considered 'red' somehow.
I tried every signal combination but I can't figure out a way that works, as soon as one train has entered ONE rail line, the other line is also considered occupied.

I I don't even know how.

There are no signals to the left of these screenshots

I tried every combo of semaphore type and direction that might help, no dice.

edit: I figured it out, further up ahead the rails make a circle. None of it has been built, but once I placed a semaphore in front of the (unbuilt) junction, the situation resolved itself

double nine fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 23, 2022

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

bbaljo has a really good breakdown of how the train constructor bugs out and how to avoid it. it's really not that bad to get right actually!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRXSsNXHrC4

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

this did give me a chuckle

capitalist spies are sabotaging our Republic!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
New community report talking about ~sewage~

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-43

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

But enough about your republic, Comrade!

:dumbrim:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I dump my posts in the river untreated

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

We know, you keep dumping them in this thread too

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-44

Devs dropping the surprise news that they've been working on a traffic management simulation! I hope they can find the time to work on a better implementation of light rail and trams to balance out this pro-private car agenda.

quote:

Report for the Community #44

Greetings dear Comrades of the Soviet Republic. You may already notice that last week we finally made another step on our journey towards finishing the game by releasing the Crime & Justice upgrade for all players. We hope you are doing well, and that the tweaks we made during past weeks, made the game more challenging, but still fun to play. And we are coming to you now with something many of you were dreaming about and we want to warn You that it will not be easy and simple, but these features will challenge you even more. We want to reveal to you that Matin a.k.a. Vyvo (member of our development team) took the challenge to create a brand-new traffic control system for roads and we are proud to say, he was successful.

So, what should you imagine under traffic control system? You may know something about other city builders where you need to take care about how you direct your traffic in your cities. Now we are working on adding new difficulty setting called Traffic Simulation and it will offer two options. The current system will be called “Simple” and the new one will be called “Complex.” The setting will be optional because it will raise difficulty as it will be complex, and it will require months to tweak to 100% effectiveness on our side as part of development process, and also on yours while managing your traffic to perfection.

If the traffic simulation will be set to complex vehicles will use the Rule of Right Hand as default if there will not be any signs or traffic lights. Player will be able to set signs for main and side roads or add the Stop sign if necessary. We prepared a comfortable tool for this, which tries to set signs automatically and it works well in T shape crossings.

The player will be able to set traffic lights for crossings and these will require power to function with Power difficulty setting enabled. These will not be only automatically generated traffic lights but there will be custom settings available where you will be able to set intervals for each direction and it will be possible to generate them also automatically. You will have options to set green light for one direction or also for opposite direction, but then oncoming vehicles will need to give way for those which go straight if they want to turn left. Additionally, you will be able to connect several crossings into one big single crossing and we did not forget about crossing of one-way roads.

And of course, this is not all. With this are going to introduce other traffic management signs too. For example, you will have signs limiting the minimum and maximum speed, signs restricting cargo traffic, pedestrians or overtaking other vehicles. We want to mention a special sign restricting entry of cargo vehicles which is called “Supply allowed.” This will offer you a tool to redirect heavy cargo traffic but allow trucks supplying food, clothes etc. to enter the town. The way how it works is that only vehicles which have a destination in area behind the sign can enter but other cargo trucks will use other ways without this restriction.

We want to emphasize that for you to implement traffic control well will require quite a bit of observation and experimentation. It will be a whole new level of difficulty if you decide to use this new feature and it will allow more realistic traffic with these new tools. It will also allow you avoid traffic jams in key areas to lower bus delays and shorten the time your emergency vehicles get to their destinations by carefully planning your traffic. Just imagine what this game will be about when we successfully implement these new features with all the features from our Road map. It will be one of the most complex and challenging games we have ever seen, and it would not be possible without you, your feedback, and your suggestions. As the winter is coming to its end, we want to wish you good health, lot of enjoyment in life and fun while playing. Stay safe and tuned for the next report.

Thank You for Your Support

3Division Team

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Okay that difficulty option I might leave on default lol but I am also excited drat they're doing cool things.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh loving hell yes I am going to make so many god drat roundabouts.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I'm super impressed by their holistic ambition and skill, and also you couldn't make me turn that on in a million years. Getting a headache just thinking about it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It looks like TMPE from cities skylines but for this game, so that's fine and dandy to me, I can do traffic lights, but of course the roundabout is the superior choice, for the enlightened soviet republic.

My main concern is just that it probably won't work with the road layering I do to make wider junctions with smoother turns.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Generation Internet posted:

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-44

Devs dropping the surprise news that they've been working on a traffic management simulation! I hope they can find the time to work on a better implementation of light rail and trams to balance out this pro-private car agenda.

:stare:

Honestly, all I really need is for them to make vehicles not cause cascading traffic jams when they catch up to a vehicle ahead of them and stop completely.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I hope some of that trickles into the simple model, minimum speed would useful to guarantee your slow utility trucks took the back roads. It's pretty good at it now but having a switch on the road for it would be better.

OwlFancier posted:

It looks like TMPE from cities skylines but for this game, so that's fine and dandy to me, I can do traffic lights, but of course the roundabout is the superior choice, for the enlightened soviet republic.

My main concern is just that it probably won't work with the road layering I do to make wider junctions with smoother turns.
TMPE seems like a good comparison, in which case you will be able to traffic hack everything to a network that is actually faster than the simple model with a few mental algorithms and enough space dedicated to problem junctions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are conditions where the current system isn't very good, roundabouts particularly don't work because there's no yield behaviour, so I would probably say that simple T junctions should follow yielding behaviour where sensible if they've managed to automate that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dehumanize yourself and face towards access roads

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Holy gently caress, those traffic changes. I need them and water/sewage like, today.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I really wanted to start up my LP again but I didn't feel like putting in extra effort into my game or having the shame of dropping it when I inevitably get bored for some other game. This thread's quiet enough though I won't feel bad spamming screenshots in here. (Y'all should do more of that too, I have stolen so many design ideas from various screenshots.)

I had a decent save going on Kaugsaare, the island map I mentioned before. I rebuilt my PC and forgot to move the save over and didn't use the cloud, but probably would have started fresh anyway. Plus, I sort of preferred an uninhabited start this time anyway. Starting from March 1933!

I picked this spot which is a naturally protected bay. (I'll get a better screenshot of the entire bay once I have it more built up.)

I turned it into this - though most of the 'core' of the town was autobuilt. Probably about a third to half of the town has been not-auto-bought and the crop-chain industries are self made. I don't have coal anywhere near here, which has made my start quite different. I used the off-shore oil well mod (not my favorite, but it beats bad-looking terraforming to in-water oil) to get a very small amount of fuel and bitumen being produced through a small refinery mod.

Close-up of the town. I have neglected making it pretty with trees and bushes or caring too much about it. This is definitely temporary - just a port town to gain a foothold and expand the Republic to more meaningful locales. Eventually this entire area I've flattened is going to be a big old import/export port. There's definitely aleady some "Whatever, it fits there" as you go north and east. You can tell I thought much harder about the center/bottom left areas.

I auto-built my initial power-plant as a 1930's styled coal plant, then remembered I don't have coal. I'm paying an arm and a leg to import the steel for an entirely new gas plant, but whatever. Sustainability! I have oil just off shore.

I definitely gave up on beautifying and worrying about things like nicely walling in my power plant on the bluff over the sea until I get to more permanent set ups. My next step is to crawl across that bluff by the bay to another small natural bay and set up the fishing industry mod to produce meat. That will be my first maybe permanent, or at least 'to be renovated far in the future' settlement.

Also, I am sort of cheating on a Kosmonaut start in a way that I find really nice and don't feel too guilty about - I have a port which can import most any good legitimately (let's ignore the ~20 coal or so I use a year, I'm not building a whole agg port for that.) Instead of fastidiously or manually trying to import the right amount of stuff (or worse, having to buy multiple ships,) I'm just buying two ships and setting them on a dummy route to the border. They'll use some fuel and mimic imports, but then I auto-import to the attached port storages. I have to pay the delivery fee there, but I consider that the cost of my foreign agents that make sure I have exactly as much of everything I need instead of having to try and figure out how to set up routes to carefully import enough steel, but not too much, etc.

E: Another neat mod thing! It's definitely cheaty in terms of balance, but I really enjoy it aesthetically: On the point near the bay you can see a conveyor out to a boat - There's a bucket barge mod that produces gravel. Considering I've already dredged out some of that bay (so it doesnt look super shallow) and will continue that, it kind of thematically fits with how my Republic might produce gravel.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 12, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can still almost never bother to hand place trees, I just bucket fill them into different blocks to create a sort of patchwork soviet "towers in the park" kind of look. Though I've never seen an image of it actually going that far. Corbusier was a hack, basically.

I suppose it's sort of based on where I live where it's not too uncommon to find one and two storey buildings built basically in forests, with trees surrounding them on all sides and often covering the roads too. It's fairly dense suburban landscape but they just put trees everywhere as well, gives a very pleasant atmosphere. I really like the game's focus on pedestrian pathability for this reason too because you really can just build these path accessible blocks that are just housing in trees, A shame the game doesn't let you make nice green grass underneath because that would help a lot I think.

Once they put the new traffic in I think I'm going to try and build milton keynes with bike (pedestrian) paths and roundabouts. And maybe a tramway too.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

build milton keynes

Look, I know you meant this differently, but under no circumstances will I permit Keynesian posting. :ussr:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Look, I know you meant this differently, but under no circumstances will I permit Keynesian posting. :ussr:

And yet you seek to stimulate posting demand and revitalize the faltering thread economy by artificially producing screenshots, curious!

More seriously MK has quite an interesting layout, very different from most british cities and is an interesting example of very distinct large scale urban planning in the 1960s, if you look at it on a map it really looks nothing like any other city in the UK, which generally are either ancient messes or occasionally full of victorian hellterrace paup storage, or your standard UK version of suburban sprawl which is a different kind of mess as they usually don't do a very good job of improving the trunk roads when they fill in the space between with an endless hive of semi detacheds.

It has big dual carraigeways running on a semi-regular grid system, all connected with roundabouts, and with a big focus on semi-autonomous "blocks" which use the major roadways for cross-city travel but you are not expected to cross for essentials unlike cities where the highway got put in later. Which I think would translate very well to soviet republic. Each block gets its services and can house different secondary functions like a media building or perhaps a light manufacturing area if I make the bulk of the space into forest.

I mean to an extent I already kinda work like that but it would be interesting to do it with actual road hierarchies.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 12, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

And yet you seek to stimulate posting demand and revitalize the faltering thread economy by artificially producing screenshots, curious!

More seriously MK has quite an interesting layout, very different from most british cities and is an interesting example of very distinct large scale urban planning in the 1960s, if you look at it on a map it really looks nothing like any other city in the UK, which generally are either ancient messes or occasionally full of victorian hellterrace paup storage, or your standard UK version of suburban sprawl which is a different kind of mess as they usually don't do a very good job of improving the trunk roads when they fill in the space between with an endless hive of semi detacheds.

It has big dual carraigeways running on a semi-regular grid system, all connected with roundabouts, and with a big focus on semi-autonomous "blocks" which use the major roadways for cross-city travel but you are not expected to cross for essentials unlike cities where the highway got put in later. Which I think would translate very well to soviet republic. Each block gets its services and can house different secondary functions like a media building or perhaps a light manufacturing area if I make the bulk of the space into forest.

I mean to an extent I already kinda work like that but it would be interesting to do it with actual road hierarchies.

I peeped it on google maps and it definitely does have a unique layout that definitely has a level of mimicry to the 'Microdistrict' approach of Soviet planners. I really need to start thinking more modularly - I tend to like to segment my towns way too much because its much easier to dedicate them to one industry, or a few concentrated industrial areas. Where this starts to become an issue is making sure everyone is getting goods and services, so I just shift my problem from "Bigger cities create issues with getting workers out to distant industry easily and require more intra-city transit" to "I have too many places to feed all at once and I spend tons of effort setting up each and every small town."

Admittedly that's sort of my plan with this save and why I went back to a completely uninhabited map after a long while - Without having the subtle pushes from old cities of where I aught to build, I can instead sort of make some temporarily/small hamlets to start out like I'm used to, but then in the relatively flat, resource-barren space in between, I can plan out a city that will feed the industries I've set up and slowly move folks from their hamlets to a more central, modern location and have them commute back to the industries. (I know the Soviets did a lot of planned cities for a certain function and things, but I always think of Tahawus in NY state being abandoned. I thought the concept of just uprooting everyone in a town and moving them elsewhere was archaic or foreign until I met a dude in Newcomb NY who was not that old and was like, "Yeah, they moved us here." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahawus,_New_York)

I gave up doing my hand-placed decoration of my first city and just tried your "slap dash"/"gently caress yeah spread it" approach - it still gets a pretty good job done. If you're very tentative with the tree tool, you can actually get a decent spread of trees without it being totally forested, which I like. Its still a pain for areas where you can *technically* fit a tree, but more or less have to place them individually.

The as-of-yet named port city from the roof of the new power plant on the bluff, now slightly greener. (Well, greener in the spring.)

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 12, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Spent the entire drat weekend on pause laying out a city. It's still technically not complete.

This is going to take so drat long to build. I autobuilt the harbor pieces I wouldn't be able to get a pathway to, as its too early of a date for Helicopters yet.

But I am very happy with my cool breakwater.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really hope at some point they add in an easier way to do that, even if it's just the ability to snap buildings to each other, cos it does look lovely but it's a misery to lay out.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I really hope at some point they add in an easier way to do that, even if it's just the ability to snap buildings to each other, cos it does look lovely but it's a misery to lay out.

Worse, I tried to space everything so I can try out one of the ploppable sidewalk/plaza mods. I am almost certain this will be an abject failure not worth the effort I expended, but I have to try.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
How do waypoints work? ie how do I use them to stop my dumbass plows from wandering around the oil fields plowing dirt roads?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

shut off the priority for dirt roads in technical services

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

How do waypoints work? ie how do I use them to stop my dumbass plows from wandering around the oil fields plowing dirt roads?

Waypoints are just a dummy stop for lines. They aren’t used automatically by anything. They’re useful if you have say a bus route that you want to use a main highway or avenue instead of winding around a neighborhood, or if you want them to go around a block instead of doing a uturn at a platform.

As mentioned, for plows you need to use the technical office interface to reduce their focus on dirt roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
so what do secret police actually do?