Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Random Hero posted:

Every Farmer's Market near me has someone that will sharpen your knives while you walk around the rest of the market.

There's a guy at my local one, but all I've seen at his table are a few bench grinders, which makes me a little weary.

Is this typical for most knife sharpening services? I guess I could stop being anti-social and ask him about his process next time I go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Yes, a bench grinder is a very normal tool to sharpen knives professionally.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

PolishPandaBear posted:

There's a guy at my local one, but all I've seen at his table are a few bench grinders, which makes me a little weary.

Is this typical for most knife sharpening services? I guess I could stop being anti-social and ask him about his process next time I go.

Yeah that's what the guy at my farmer's market was using and my knives have come out great the few times I have used it. I have my own sharpening stones at home but sometimes I'm feeling lazy and I want to get some meat at the market anyways. It's pretty convenient.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is there a new can opener rec? I gave mine away and the ez does it seems like it's nothing but fakes on amazon, or they also went downhill.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Is there a new can opener rec? I gave mine away and the ez does it seems like it's nothing but fakes on amazon, or they also went downhill.

Would also love this rec. I got the EZ and it looks right. The made in USA branding all over, but it is terrible. It won't even cut through 80% of the cans I tried it on.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I've had the OXO can opener for about 10 years and it still works well. It's the normal one, not the smooth cut or snap lock or whatever other variety they came up with in the last decade.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you ate my cat posted:

I've had the OXO can opener for about 10 years and it still works well. It's the normal one, not the smooth cut or snap lock or whatever other variety they came up with in the last decade.

That's what I gave away so I'll hope the quality is as good.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/swing-a-way-portable-can-opener-black/

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

https://youtu.be/i_mLxyIXpSY

Someday...years decades from now when my existing can opener needs to be replaced I'll probably go the safety can opener route

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
i just got a chest freezer, which food saver do i buy? target had a couple different ones at extremely different price points without much of a discernable difference between the feature set.

i'm not trying to do anything fancy i just want to buy bulk meats and portion them out before freezing.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

El Mero Mero posted:

https://youtu.be/i_mLxyIXpSY

Someday...years decades from now when my existing can opener needs to be replaced I'll probably go the safety can opener route

I was just running to post this.

I got one and I’m in love. Safety can opener ftw

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I had some cheapo safety can opener from Walmart for the longest time. My partner gave it away to a kid we were helping set up a new apartment with along with other kitchen stuff.

I found an identical one at a thrift store and bought it again a few weeks later.

We've got an ancient made in USA swing a way too but the cheapy safety one works better.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Stalizard posted:

i just got a chest freezer, which food saver do i buy? target had a couple different ones at extremely different price points without much of a discernable difference between the feature set.

i'm not trying to do anything fancy i just want to buy bulk meats and portion them out before freezing.

I've had the FoodSaver FM3920 (apparently discontinued) for a couple years and I've been very happy with it. Before that, I had a $25 Rival for a good 10 years that I was also very happy with, then gave to my sister when I upgraded. The only reason I upgraded was I wanted the accessory hose for jar sealing; although the bag cutter is a nice feature too. YMMV, but in my experience anything from a half reputable brand with the features you want should be good.

I've actually been second guessing my need for the accessory hose though. My FoodSaver doesn't live on the counter, and when I use part of a jar of something I've vacuum sealed I'm too lazy to grab a small appliance and seal it again. I've seen people use a hand vacuum pump (like for brake bleeding) that would probably be more convenient even if it's a little more effort. Maybe if I had infinite counter space so all my small appliances were always out and plugged in :shrug:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The Kuhn Rikon can opener takes up drawer space, but works really well. It's one of the kind that cuts around the sides, not through the top.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I had Expectations based on the URL and was very disappointed to see that it was not $149.99 and color-matched to Breville appliances

e: I have had the Oxo side cutter type for ages and it's fine.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

JoshGuitar posted:

I've had the FoodSaver FM3920 (apparently discontinued) for a couple years and I've been very happy with it. Before that, I had a $25 Rival for a good 10 years that I was also very happy with, then gave to my sister when I upgraded. The only reason I upgraded was I wanted the accessory hose for jar sealing; although the bag cutter is a nice feature too. YMMV, but in my experience anything from a half reputable brand with the features you want should be good.

I've actually been second guessing my need for the accessory hose though. My FoodSaver doesn't live on the counter, and when I use part of a jar of something I've vacuum sealed I'm too lazy to grab a small appliance and seal it again. I've seen people use a hand vacuum pump (like for brake bleeding) that would probably be more convenient even if it's a little more effort. Maybe if I had infinite counter space so all my small appliances were always out and plugged in :shrug:

The problem with actual FoodSaver brand vacuum sealers is that none of the currently available models combine (a) internal roll storage/cutter; (b) non-automatic start (lever+button rather than "just insert and hope the sensor works"); and (c) the "new" sealer bar/vacuum divot configuration that seals closer to the end. That said, I'd get a 2100.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone have a good recommendation for a gizmo that returns acidic readings? I made maybe my 14th batch of yogurt yesterday, and it was much more acidic than any other batch I've made to this point. I'd like to be able to track this sort of thing to lock in my preferred taste. My first thought was thermoworks but I see some bad reviews. I'll probably be branching out into other fermentation/canning, so hopefully there's a reliable tool out there.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

GordonComstock posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a gizmo that returns acidic readings? I made maybe my 14th batch of yogurt yesterday, and it was much more acidic than any other batch I've made to this point. I'd like to be able to track this sort of thing to lock in my preferred taste. My first thought was thermoworks but I see some bad reviews. I'll probably be branching out into other fermentation/canning, so hopefully there's a reliable tool out there.

If you’re not dead-set on a gizmo, I would just get some pH test strips and measure a small sample each time.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran

GordonComstock posted:

We use it primarily for canning and kombucha but have nothing but good things to say about the Milwaukee MW102. It's a bit pricey for sure, especially with the food probe and solutions, but still way cheaper than a botulism ER visit was our thinking.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
is there such a thing as a chamber vacuum sealer that uses a vacuum hose from a standalone/external vacuum pump?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

look up diy vacuum chambers, they exist but typically lack sealing bars and other niceties a machine meant for packing things has.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

This guy is great. As I watch I expect myself to dislike him or hate his videos but nahh, I like him.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I have been gifted a misen gift card and have no idea what to grab as I don't particularly need anything and have always been put off by their early QA issues that may or may not have been addressed based on feedback in this thread. Was thinking of picking up their utility knife to give it a shot while its a gift card anyway and I do love that form factor, but wanted to see if there was anything by them anyone really enjoyed/wanted someone to check out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do you already have a carbon steel pan? they look like they're selling a pretty nice one

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

I have been gifted a misen gift card and have no idea what to grab as I don't particularly need anything and have always been put off by their early QA issues that may or may not have been addressed based on feedback in this thread. Was thinking of picking up their utility knife to give it a shot while its a gift card anyway and I do love that form factor, but wanted to see if there was anything by them anyone really enjoyed/wanted someone to check out.

I have one of their utility knives and it's excellent. Great size compromise between a chef's knife and a paring knife, and doesn't take up too much space in the drawer.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

do you already have a carbon steel pan? they look like they're selling a pretty nice one

My larger carbon steel from them doesn't sit very level on heating up but the smaller one doesn't seem to have that issue and has made me into carbon steel true believer.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah I've got one and don't need another.

The Midniter posted:

I have one of their utility knives and it's excellent. Great size compromise between a chef's knife and a paring knife, and doesn't take up too much space in the drawer.

I have a new northwest knife utility knife and its one of my favorite to use, definitely leaning towards trying theirs as I could probably use another. I also think I might just have a knife problem because I've got way, way too many knives even after clearing out the drawer and giving away a few.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Anyone have wooden utensils they particularly like? The oxo paddle I’ve used for years suffered one too many whacks on the side of a pan and I’m not looking for wood chips in my meals. I could always replace it for $8, but might as well look around for other options.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Anyone have wooden utensils they particularly like? The oxo paddle I’ve used for years suffered one too many whacks on the side of a pan and I’m not looking for wood chips in my meals. I could always replace it for $8, but might as well look around for other options.

https://www.woodspoon.com/

Got them two years ago, they've held up very well and the lefty/righty spoon was my stocking stuffer last year.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Democratic Pirate posted:

not cheap but i sure like the "trifecta" utensils i got for christmas this year from https://www.earlywooddesigns.com/

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I don’t have a brand name, but the olive wood options really are worth it. I got a set for my wedding from folks at work 4 years ago. I use the spoon at least twice a week and I smack that sucker hard on the side of pots and as far as finish goes, it’s like brand new. The whole thing has stained a nice dark brown, but all surfaces are still very smooth and pristine.

You really do want to hand wash though. Dishwasher will apparently still wreck them over time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The only utensils I ever put in the dishwasher are

Flatware
Whisks
Plastic spoons
All metal spatulas

Everything else just gets discolored or outright destroyed.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I buy a set of bamboo utensils for a couple bucks and use them for whatever and throw them in the dishwasher and after a couple years if they start getting beat up gently caress it toss 'em and spend a couple bucks on a new set.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Also you can just take care of stuff and not throw it out. Many such cases.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Listen, bud, some of us give a drat about the economy, alright

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Or you can take care of stuff and then eventually throw it out anyway, because it's bamboo and in the length of time it's taken you to read this, a single bamboo plant has produced enough bamboo to make more bamboo spatulas than you'll use in your lifetime.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Don't remind me of the rhizomes my neighbors are currently spawning in my side yard.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Its the appliance anniversary so tell me about air fryers and moka pots - good brands, etc.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Oracle posted:

Its the appliance anniversary so tell me about air fryers and moka pots - good brands, etc.

For moka pots I like Bialetti. Their Moka Express or the Venus if you prefer stainless over alu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oracle posted:

I've been extremely happy with this air fryer from Cosori. Don't get the wifi one, it's pointless, it's just the one we ended up with after amazon sent the wrong item the first time.