Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Just finished my last remaining Job Quests. While I’m only at 80 SGE is already incredibly fun! I’m looking forward to joining the sea of scythes and sages in EW mass player stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Countblanc posted:

you too can live this blessed life, by only queueing for content with your friends who are also good.
What if I only queue with friends who are bad

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TielWaters/status/1484448898282184711/photo/2
Eat your mountains, WoL.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
I am constantly perplexed that as a MCH I am constantly either top or second highest DPS in drat near all content I do. With friends? Almost always top. Okay, what about randos (and a friend logging cuz i never installed anything)? Somehow still top, even in raids full of melee. And yet, if i go to my fflogs history, I'm mostly grey or green in everything.

This tells me a few things, but I guess the most important thing it tells me is that you can suck out loud forever and still be able to clear drat near all content with practice, even current EXes (and even some group prog on Savage!) if even a low performing, low-range-DPS player can do it??

EDIT: I think I meant to be inspirational? Maybe?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

meteor9 posted:

I am constantly perplexed that as a MCH I am constantly either top or second highest DPS in drat near all content I do. With friends? Almost always top. Okay, what about randos (and a friend logging cuz i never installed anything)? Somehow still top, even in raids full of melee. And yet, if i go to my fflogs history, I'm mostly grey or green in everything.

This tells me a few things, but I guess the most important thing it tells me is that you can suck out loud forever and still be able to clear drat near all content with practice, even current EXes (and even some group prog on Savage!) if even a low performing, low-range-DPS player can do it??

EDIT: I think I meant to be inspirational? Maybe?

You gotta remember when you look at fflogs you're comparing against people who already have weapon upgrades from savage. You won't be able to keep up with them at all.

What this also means is that you're a good dps and you press your buttons when they pop up. A lot of people do not press their buttons on cooldown. A lot of people are not very good at dps.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Mr. Nice! posted:

You gotta remember when you look at fflogs you're comparing against people who already have weapon upgrades from savage. You won't be able to keep up with them at all.

What this also means is that you're a good dps and you press your buttons when they pop up. A lot of people do not press their buttons on cooldown. A lot of people are not very good at dps.

I don't know why this still feels so wrong to me I flub my combos and timers on everything I ever do someone please hit harder than me!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Time for Heavensward LP, where we take a stab at what some people say is the worst job series in the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

meteor9 posted:

I don't know why this still feels so wrong to me I flub my combos and timers on everything I ever do someone please hit harder than me!
back in shadowbringers someone tested it and a black mage literally just staying in ice mode 24/7 and spamming blizzard and hitting its cooldowns without ever going into fire phase did better dps than like 70% of players, because it was still hitting a button every gcd. so long as you're hitting *something* you're gonna be doing better than most people. as hard as it is to believe the average ff14 player is seriously standing there staring at their hotbar to decide the best next skill and then slowly clicking it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm I did ocean fishing with a 90 and I only got white scrips at the end...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

sirtommygunn posted:

Lol that we took a massive detour and got involved with saving an old mining town all so we could get through a single wooden gate, and that it didn't matter at all because Ran'jit was there waiting for us anyway.

Much like how he took a backdoor into the Temple of Doom.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Oh no. I discovered the Sigmascape Savage DRK weapon, the Genji Nagamaki. It's making me pull out my old sky rat glam and the A E S T H E T I C is making me love DRK all over again

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Here's a short guide to soloing stuff in EW:

HW Extremes: all now farmable by any tank and at least some DPS classes except for S1T7/sephirot which is tank only. You have to either survive Chesed by being a tank (or according to FC chat, a Sage?) or burst him down to 65% before he casts Chesed (easy for DPS) but then you have to kill him before he murders you. I couldn't do it in a few tries on red mage, might be doable by some classes by cheesing the ability to effectively reset all of your cooldowns by dragging out the add phase.

Alexander Savages: I easily soloed all of them as a warrior except for A4S and A8S. A4S might be doable by DPS the end of the expansion, the problem is the fourth leg puts a debuff on you and another player that explodes you if you have them both, which you do if you. You can't holmgang through it, so either the leg needs to die within a few seconds or you die. There's so much poo poo going on in A8S that I have no idea what exactly the problem was but I just called in someone else for the clear. Of particular note, A9S is easily soloed by even white mage (I don't know how the fight is "supposed" to go but it looks like a ton of mechanics don't trigger when you're solo?) so you can grind out the step to complete your anima weapons here solo.

Stormblood extremes:
Pool of Tribute: Impossible to solo now and probably forever.

Emanation: Can probably be soloed by any tank without echo. You do need to know the mechanics or you'll get yeeted off the platform over and over.

Shinryu: Soloed on warrior at 25% echo, maybe doable by dark knight? There are a couple yeet mechanics, but the real challenge is the enrage timer. Once he gets to 23% you face a very tight (with current gear anyway) DPS check which you will fail unless you've dealt with the Reiru add mechanic. Unless you heal them to full ASAP they apply 3 stacks of damage down debuff to you shortly after tethering to you and then another stack (refreshing the duration of the first three) about 30 seconds later, probably guaranteeing you have it up when you are in a DPS race. So you either have to heal them to full OR completely absorb the attack with a barrier effect. Warrior can do it with rampart+thrill+shake it off for the first hit, followed by bloodwhetting before the second hit and DRK can do it with TBN, I guess GNB MIGHT be able to do it with brutal shell but idk, paladin might be able to pass the heal check but I don't know if they have the damage for the DPS check.

Tsukuyomi: Impossible to solo now because all three meteors go on you and they despawn each other, so you have to kill her before that matters. That might be doable by some DPS classes next expansion?

The Great Hunt: It was already soloable by some classes in ShB and more classes now, probably farmable without echo. The hardest part about the fight at 90 as warrior is doing enough hits to fill his bar and trigger a landing, killing him in one landing is trivial.

Jade Stoa: Easily soloed by warrior at 25% echo, maybe DRK. Same story as Shinryu: if you completely absorb the first part of State of Shock then you don't have the damage vuln debuff applied and can survive his KILLER KOMBO, or you can invulv the second hit.

Hells' Kier: Very hard to solo by warrior with ilevel 583 and full pentamelds with 25% echo. The DPS check is extremely tight (it came down to the last hit for me after a lot of attempts). The repeated forced tank swap mechanic applies an 18 second damage vulnv debuff that makes the boss's autos hit for 60k if unmitigated, so you also have to perfectly manage your defensive cooldowns to survive.

Wreath of Snakes: Probably impossible for now, but possible in a gear tier or two. The tank swap mechanic does irrelevant amounts of damage and you can survive phase 2 Forbidden Arts by using an invulnv or popping all your cooldowns, but you have eat three stacks of damage down debuff twice. I got him down to 7% and could maybe do another 1-2% with better play but not 7%.

Omega Savages: I soloed O1S and O5S without too much difficulty, I tried to do O4S but the one time I hit the hard enrage the boss was still at 17% so lmao, haven't tried the others.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

Here's a short guide to soloing stuff in EW:

HW Extremes: all now farmable by any tank and at least some DPS classes except for S1T7/sephirot which is tank only. You have to either survive Chesed by being a tank (or according to FC chat, a Sage?) or burst him down to 65% before he casts Chesed (easy for DPS) but then you have to kill him before he murders you. I couldn't do it in a few tries on red mage, might be doable by some classes by cheesing the ability to effectively reset all of your cooldowns by dragging out the add phase.

Alexander Savages: I easily soloed all of them as a warrior except for A4S and A8S. A4S might be doable by DPS the end of the expansion, the problem is the fourth leg puts a debuff on you and another player that explodes you if you have them both, which you do if you. You can't holmgang through it, so either the leg needs to die within a few seconds or you die. There's so much poo poo going on in A8S that I have no idea what exactly the problem was but I just called in someone else for the clear. Of particular note, A9S is easily soloed by even white mage (I don't know how the fight is "supposed" to go but it looks like a ton of mechanics don't trigger when you're solo?) so you can grind out the step to complete your anima weapons here solo.

Stormblood extremes:
Pool of Tribute: Impossible to solo now and probably forever.

Emanation: Can probably be soloed by any tank without echo. You do need to know the mechanics or you'll get yeeted off the platform over and over.

Shinryu: Soloed on warrior at 25% echo, maybe doable by dark knight? There are a couple yeet mechanics, but the real challenge is the enrage timer. Once he gets to 23% you face a very tight (with current gear anyway) DPS check which you will fail unless you've dealt with the Reiru add mechanic. Unless you heal them to full ASAP they apply 3 stacks of damage down debuff to you shortly after tethering to you and then another stack (refreshing the duration of the first three) about 30 seconds later, probably guaranteeing you have it up when you are in a DPS race. So you either have to heal them to full OR completely absorb the attack with a barrier effect. Warrior can do it with rampart+thrill+shake it off for the first hit, followed by bloodwhetting before the second hit and DRK can do it with TBN, I guess GNB MIGHT be able to do it with brutal shell but idk, paladin might be able to pass the heal check but I don't know if they have the damage for the DPS check.

Tsukuyomi: Impossible to solo now because all three meteors go on you and they despawn each other, so you have to kill her before that matters. That might be doable by some DPS classes next expansion?

The Great Hunt: It was already soloable by some classes in ShB and more classes now, probably farmable without echo. The hardest part about the fight at 90 as warrior is doing enough hits to fill his bar and trigger a landing, killing him in one landing is trivial.

Jade Stoa: Easily soloed by warrior at 25% echo, maybe DRK. Same story as Shinryu: if you completely absorb the first part of State of Shock then you don't have the damage vuln debuff applied and can survive his KILLER KOMBO, or you can invulv the second hit.

Hells' Kier: Very hard to solo by warrior with ilevel 583 and full pentamelds with 25% echo. The DPS check is extremely tight (it came down to the last hit for me after a lot of attempts). The repeated forced tank swap mechanic applies an 18 second damage vulnv debuff that makes the boss's autos hit for 60k if unmitigated, so you also have to perfectly manage your defensive cooldowns to survive.

Wreath of Snakes: Probably impossible for now, but possible in a gear tier or two. The tank swap mechanic does irrelevant amounts of damage and you can survive phase 2 Forbidden Arts by using an invulnv or popping all your cooldowns, but you have eat three stacks of damage down debuff twice. I got him down to 7% and could maybe do another 1-2% with better play but not 7%.

Omega Savages: I soloed O1S and O5S without too much difficulty, I tried to do O4S but the one time I hit the hard enrage the boss was still at 17% so lmao, haven't tried the others.

drat I think I'm gonna do some of this stuff thanks

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Speaking of soloing, a WAR just solo'd P1N heh. Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFcZCEny4x4 and Reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/s9nvl8/pandaemonium_asphodelos_the_first_circle_warrior/. I don't think it's a big deal, doesn't seem practical, it took over an hour, and it's Normal. But it is funny!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I gotta give warrior a try. drat.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

CJ posted:

/merror off
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/ac "Holmgang" <me>
/micon "Holmgang"

yep this is what i do. it also prevents the other holmgang quirk of not applying if your target happens to be further away than 6y.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the bird is dead and i'm onto dracudad, and boy is bloodrake some hot backwards nonsense lmao

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

the bird is dead and i'm onto dracudad, and boy is bloodrake some hot backwards nonsense lmao

bloodrake making me think is its greatest crime

Curtain Call reached, should clear today. Hopefully.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

squirrelzipper posted:

Speaking of soloing, a WAR just solo'd P1N heh. Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFcZCEny4x4 and Reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/s9nvl8/pandaemonium_asphodelos_the_first_circle_warrior/. I don't think it's a big deal, doesn't seem practical, it took over an hour, and it's Normal. But it is funny!

This says more about ff14 encounter design than warrior, honestly.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Honestly I wouldn't mind having a WoW-style normal bossfight (maybe in a regular dungeon) where the boss is just constantly making GBS threads out damage at semirandom targets along with partywide attacks so the healers don't have a chance to DPS because they've really gotta be hitting the basic heals. P3N is kinda close the way the offtank starts getting constantly slammed but apply that to the whole party.

--

Ninja Stormblood questline felt really weird and disjointed and I didn't really 'get' wtf the overall plot was meant to be, but the final quest was worth it and of all the wacky facial animation this game somehow does, I was very impressed to see it do that.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

bewilderment posted:

Honestly I wouldn't mind having a WoW-style normal bossfight (maybe in a regular dungeon) where the boss is just constantly making GBS threads out damage at semirandom targets along with partywide attacks so the healers don't have a chance to DPS because they've really gotta be hitting the basic heals. P3N is kinda close the way the offtank starts getting constantly slammed but apply that to the whole party
Agreed. Raid bosses don’t do enough damage, or rather the vast majority of damage is packed into predictable tankbusters or raidwides that can be heavily mitigated as healer and tank cooldowns get more and more powerful.
P3S style tank damage should be baseline, and there should be more constant/random damage to the raid overall. I’d rather reduce the dps requirements for a raid and require more healer gcds and overall healing planning.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Hogama posted:

The most recent job history post I did. (It has links to the rest.)
I still gotta do new posts to start on the Endwalker changes, especially since we're about to have the second adjustments made in 6.08.

wanted to let you know i appreciate reading these.

i did find what looks like a typo in the Bard writeup though. The stormblood section lists

quote:

60 - Troubadour (adds an additional effect to the song currently being sung; Mage's Ballad increases maximum HP by 15%, Army's Paeon reduces physical vulnerability by 10%, Wanderer's Minuet reduces magical vulnerability by 10%. Can only be executed if a song is currently being sung, 30 second duration, 180 second recast time). Enhanced Dexterity III moved from 32 and buffed (adds +24 Dexterity, up from 6).
62 - Sonic Thrust (potency 100, or combo after Doom Spike for 170, to all enemies in a straight line in front of you, 120 TP)
64 - Caustic Bite (potency 120 + potency 45 for 30 seconds, or 450 total, 60 TP), Stormbite (potency 120 + potency 55 for 30 seconds, or 550 total, 60 TP), Bite Mastery (Trait, replaces Venomous Bite with Caustic Bite, and Windbite with Stormbite)

the entry for 62 is a Dragoon skill. idk what should be there though

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Honestly I wouldn't mind having a WoW-style normal bossfight (maybe in a regular dungeon) where the boss is just constantly making GBS threads out damage at semirandom targets along with partywide attacks so the healers don't have a chance to DPS because they've really gotta be hitting the basic heals. P3N is kinda close the way the offtank starts getting constantly slammed but apply that to the whole party.

all that would happen is that wipes become more common as bad healers struggle to keep up while good healers keep dpsing away because they actually know how to efficiently use their nigh-infinite ogcd healing tools

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

:confused:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

They haven’t turned it off since the initial surge and likely will need it again as soon as the game is on sale and new chars can be created.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The zone instance division is a manual thing, not dynamic. So they setup Mor Dhona to be split up at the start of the expansion because it's where the starting quest is, and everyone has moved past that by this point but they haven't undone it yet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

one pull one clear of the door boss this lockout yeahhhhhhh

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Erg posted:

i did find what looks like a typo in the Bard writeup though. The stormblood section lists

the entry for 62 is a Dragoon skill. idk what should be there though
Thanks, that should have just been Troubadour at 62 and the Enhanced Dexterity change at 60. Can't edit it now because it's closed, but yeah.
(I just copy-edited previous job write-ups at that stage, probably had thought I was replacing it with Troubadour and got some mental wires crossed.)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Reaper is really fun, there are a couple of things about it that I wish weren't so clunky.

I wish Shadow of Death wasn't a thing. I hate having to keep track of that and constantly apply it. It feels the same as Hunters Mark in WoW for me where I wish it was just something baked into the attack power or whatever instead of this thing i constantly have to make sure is up. This isn't really clunky so much as I just don't enjoy that kind of mechanic.

The thing that DOES feel really clunky though are Grim Swathe and Guilloitne. I hate that they require you to have an enemy targeted to be able to use it. Why doesn't it just do the attack in front of you and whatever it hits, it hits? I mean the tooltip literally says "all enemies in a cone before you" which to me would imply just whatever is on front of you. But the fact that you have to target something means a lot of times I'll be going to do those attacks and nothing will happen because the enemy that's targeted is like slightly to the side of me or something. Reaper feels really good and it's great how fast trash packs melt but those things are kind of annoying. I understand there's positional stuff baked into Reaper's whole gameplay but trash packs feel too chaotic to really make that feel good. This is also the first melee DPS I've played. I know everyone who plays melee dps classes is used to positionals by now but... just let me do the AOE things without targeting something :argh:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 22, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

If Reaper didn't have to pay attention to his debuff it would honestly be totally braindead to play. That said I think adding a trait to the main combo that increases the timer by like 10 seconds on hit would be a nice QOL without completely making it irrelevant.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Macaluso posted:

The thing that DOES feel really clunky though are Grim Swathe and Guilloitne. I hate that they require you to have an enemy targeted to be able to use it. Why doesn't it just do the attack in front of you and whatever it hits, it hits? I mean the tooltip literally says "all enemies in a cone before you" which to me would imply just whatever is on front of you. But the fact that you have to target something means a lot of times I'll be going to do those attacks and nothing will happen because the enemy that's targeted is like slightly to the side of me or something.

I think this is every cone attack. It's been a WAR complaint forever.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Gruckles posted:

The zone instance division is a manual thing, not dynamic. So they setup Mor Dhona to be split up at the start of the expansion because it's where the starting quest is, and everyone has moved past that by this point but they haven't undone it yet.

Did they hire the guy who used to flip switches for Marvel Heroes?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

super sweet best pal posted:

Did they hire the guy who used to flip switches for Marvel Heroes?

He's probably too busy working on the almost fully functional unofficial server.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

After in-depth scientific analysis over the last Alliance Raid roulette I did, I've determined that female Lalafell voice 4 is the worst in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6b8bRv3FnY&t=207s

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think this is every cone attack. It's been a WAR complaint forever.

Yeah, it's equally annoying with samurai, where some of your AOEs are cones and some are circles.

Melee DPS just have to move around a lot! You're either trying to hit positionals on a boss or make sure your AOEs are hitting everyone, you can't just plant yourself like a ranged DPS or tank.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Flapjack Monty posted:

After in-depth scientific analysis over the last Alliance Raid roulette I did, I've determined that female Lalafell voice 4 is the worst in the game.
I've seen people no-joke leave groups because of this voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syvH_kLVYK8

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

aaaaaaaaaaaaa AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 0.2% ENRAGE and we ran out of time in the instance and the next time we can all play is tomorrow and i had ONE DAMAGE DOWN in ACT 1 and even though im a pld and the dmg down wouldnt have done much I STILL FEEL BAD

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Macaluso posted:

The thing that DOES feel really clunky though are Grim Swathe and Guilloitne. I hate that they require you to have an enemy targeted to be able to use it. Why doesn't it just do the attack in front of you and whatever it hits, it hits? I mean the tooltip literally says "all enemies in a cone before you" which to me would imply just whatever is on front of you. But the fact that you have to target something means a lot of times I'll be going to do those attacks and nothing will happen because the enemy that's targeted is like slightly to the side of me or something. Reaper feels really good and it's great how fast trash packs melt but those things are kind of annoying. I understand there's positional stuff baked into Reaper's whole gameplay but trash packs feel too chaotic to really make that feel good. This is also the first melee DPS I've played. I know everyone who plays melee dps classes is used to positionals by now but... just let me do the AOE things without targeting something :argh:

Wait, are you telling us that your settings are such that if you use an ability and you're not facing an enemy, it just doesn't go off? :wtc: It doesn't just turn you to face the enemy automatically on ability use? Why are you intentionally making things harder for yourself?

I actually rely on this as part of my movement/evasion. Do mechanic, be facing whatever haphazard direction, use weaponskill and get faced to target.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hogama posted:

I've seen people no-joke leave groups because of this voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syvH_kLVYK8

It's cool how they rushed to make the viera male meme voice quieter yet leave this and the lalafel one insanely loud and noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I think Yolo might be voice 4...