Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BrianBoitano posted:

Favorite 6 oz and 8 oz latte mugs? Don't care if they have a handle or not, just looking for semispherical so it's easy to do art.

Ancap is another good brand to look for. They largely do wholesale to cafes and stuff who can put their own logo on them (I have one from St. Ali, e.g.) but you can find blank ones pretty easily online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Any recommendations on where to get cool light roasted interesting beans in the US?

I've been ordering from Proud Mary and Brandywine for the last several months.

There's a roaster in Austin, Third Coast Roasters that I've picked up beans from for a while, but their roasts tend to be a lot darker and not that complex. Although, they are very affordable by comparison.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

MetaJew posted:

Any recommendations on where to get cool light roasted interesting beans in the US?

There's a roaster in Austin, Third Coast Roasters that I've picked up beans from for a while, but their roasts tend to be a lot darker and not that complex. Although, they are very affordable by comparison.

If you're in Austin check out Flat Track, Houndstooth or Merit. They're all local (well Metric started in San Antonio but has Austin shops now), roast their own (Houndstooth calls their roastery Tweed, but it's the same folks), and will have light/third wave roasts.

Edit: standing corrected.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 23, 2022

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

JohnCompany posted:

If you're in Austin check out Flat Track, Houndstooth or Metric. They're all local (well Metric started in San Antonio but has Austin shops now), roast their own (Houndstooth calls their roastery Tweed, but it's the same folks), and will have light/third wave roasts.

Do you mean Merit coffee?

I'll have to check out one of those. Maybe stop by one of the shops today to buy some beanz.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

JohnCompany posted:

If you're in Austin check out Flat Track, Houndstooth or Metric. They're all local (well Metric started in San Antonio but has Austin shops now), roast their own (Houndstooth calls their roastery Tweed, but it's the same folks), and will have light/third wave roasts.

If you are in Austin, or even if you are not, you have to try Texas Coffee Traders. I've been ordering from them for years (though I've since moved away from Austin). They sell excellent coffee in lbs at the same price others sell for 12 oz.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

MetaJew posted:

Do you mean Merit coffee?

I'll have to check out one of those. Maybe stop by one of the shops today to buy some beanz.

Merit has been my go to for years now. They’re good beans.

Greater goods is Austin based and also have good beans.

e: Come to think of it, now that the weather is chilly, it’s probably time to get my annual bag of texas pecan coffee from HEB. It’s not the highest quality coffee, but it hits a particular nostalgia spot for me due to its association with a particularly good year in college.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 22, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah even if that poster didn't mean it, Merit is really good

they have a washed 'extended fermentation' ethiopian i might buy, sounds nice

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 22, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

MetaJew posted:

Royal mile coffee is a goon and has a thread in SA mart. Recently started getting nicer coffees to go with my French press and actual grinder and have been happy. Both from an price and quality perspective they're good.

Also the 'la huella cold ferment' is really good, just got mine in a few days ago

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

How well do roast beans ship, is that a thing or should I just expect local roasters to be my best bet

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hawkperson posted:

How well do roast beans ship, is that a thing or should I just expect local roasters to be my best bet

perfectly fine

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

eke out posted:

yeah even if that poster didn't mean it, Merit is really good

they have a washed 'extended fermentation' ethiopian i might buy, sounds nice

I did, in fact, mean it. S'what I get for posting before my own coffee (Huck natural processed Ethiopian, for those wondering) kicked in.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

eke out posted:

perfectly fine

neat, ty. I might buy beans from coffee goon then

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I can attest to Royal Mile. I ordered from them a lot over the last year when I lived in NY. I guess I can still order from them now too, but was slightly concerned about shipping to CA.

For cool recommendations, I was gifted an Experimental Box from Blue Bottle for Christmas. One of the bags was a honey process Costa Rica which tasted like pineapple and finished off with some darker sugary molasses notes. It was really good. Does anyone know of anything in that vein?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My local roaster has this microlot that's supposed to have pineapple notes I haven't tried it myself but usually thier tasting notes are pretty on point.

https://mayorgacoffee.com/collections/all-coffee/products/guatemala-pacamara

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Woah, I thought Mayorga only did huge bags of dark roast stuff for Costco. Maybe I'll have to try this.

It doesn't have to be pineapple necessarily, but something where the fruit or tropical taste is really apparent. I tried a local roasters natural Ethiopian and the blueberry testing note was more subtle compared to how in your face the sugar and pineapple was. Maybe I just need to look for natural process from other roasters, or get more honey process.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

PolishPandaBear posted:

Woah, I thought Mayorga only did huge bags of dark roast stuff for Costco. Maybe I'll have to try this.

It doesn't have to be pineapple necessarily, but something where the fruit or tropical taste is really apparent. I tried a local roasters natural Ethiopian and the blueberry testing note was more subtle compared to how in your face the sugar and pineapple was. Maybe I just need to look for natural process from other roasters, or get more honey process.

I've had a lot of 'exotic' tropical fruit-y naturals from indonesia, Kintamani in Bali and Kerinci in Sumatra both produce a lot that roasters in the US sell. Like the Kerinci happymug was selling from last season really did taste like caramelized pineapple or something along those lines, like cooked pineapple you'd find in a dessert.

also looks like wendelboe isn't selling it anymore but the Tatmara natural he had was one of the few ethiopians that I've tried that had a pretty clear pineapple note.

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 23, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Gunder posted:

I like the 6.5oz Fellow Monty milk art cups. I have the white/copper ones.

That was exactly what I was looking for, thank you! Couldn't find a site that had both 3.5oz and 6.5oz in stock at the same time, so went with 3.5oz and "notify me" on the 6.5oz :)

Buying a big boy tamper to replace using the dosing cup too :homebrew:

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 28, 2022

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

MetaJew posted:

I've been getting some really interesting roasts from the Fellow Drops. I would definitely recommend giving them a try. https://drops.fellowproducts.com/

Also a big fan of Heart roasters. https://www.heartroasters.com/collections/beans

Sey is also incredible. Some of the best roasts I've ever had. https://www.seycoffee.com/

I found Proud Mary to be pretty lackluster. I've had three of their roasts and none blew me away.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

MetaJew posted:

I'm not sure how their shipping works across the county (I've only had it delivered locally which has been fine) but Indianapolis has Tinker Coffee https://www.tinkercoffee.com/ which I've stumped for here a few times. They rotate single origin lots pretty frequently and they reserve some small runs for the subscribers if that's something you're interested in.

I don't know how much of it they have left but this: https://www.tinkercoffee.com/shop/costa-rica-cocobolo is one of the better beans I've ever tried in my entire life. I just want to live in it.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I got gifted a French press, and I decided I actually wanted to use it on the weekend at least, so I bought some beans at the local roaster and it makes for some dang good coffee! Problem is all I have at home is a cheapo electric blade grinder meant for spices. I have about 100 bucks in Amazon credit, so what's reasonable to get grinder-wise in that price range? I'm not super sure if I'm going to stick to making coffee just yet so I think a hand grinder would be better for me, but I could be convinced either way.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I started on a skerton and still use it today

They only last about a year before the plastic mating surfaces wear out, but even my shoddy skerton makes better coffee than a blade grinder

I think they have an updated version now that's a bit more user friendly

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

timemore and 1zpresso will both be better than a skerton. I think they both have smaller/travel grinders at or under $100

e: I have the 1zpresso JX and it's great, though a bit over budget

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

timemore and 1zpresso will both be better than a skerton. I think they both have smaller/travel grinders at or under $100

e: I have the 1zpresso JX and it's great, though a bit over budget

Seconding 1zpresso. Tried the JX and liked it, though I splurged and got a J-Max since I wanted something that could do espresso in a pinch and have been happy.

1zpresso Q2 is on sale at $89 at the moment and would be more than enough for French Press.
https://www.amazon.com/1Zpresso-AeroPress-Stainless-Numerical-Adjustable/dp/B083TGGHGL

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

PolishPandaBear posted:

I can attest to Royal Mile. I ordered from them a lot over the last year when I lived in NY. I guess I can still order from them now too, but was slightly concerned about shipping to CA.

For cool recommendations, I was gifted an Experimental Box from Blue Bottle for Christmas. One of the bags was a honey process Costa Rica which tasted like pineapple and finished off with some darker sugary molasses notes. It was really good. Does anyone know of anything in that vein?

Royal Mile ships free over $25 I think, and pretty drat fast to CA considering the distance

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I got a Skerton for Christmas for about €50. If I'd done a bit more research I could have gotten one of the 1zpressos for a little over €100. I think if you're making single cups, up to about 20gm of coffee beans the Skerton is fine, especially if you're not sure you're going to stick around with making this type of coffee. It's absolutely fine if you want to keep costs low because you're not sure how committed you are. Now, with my v60, I'd like to have at least a 1zpresso. I don't regret getting the Skerton though as I had no clue when I got it that I'd really enjoy coffee and be making it a regular thing rather than the lot collecting dust in a cupboard.

With a french press, though, and your "weekend" comment I'd guess you'll be making more than one cup of it? If this is a case of buying and going through an entire 225/250gm bag of beans in a weekend with you and someone else drinking a good few cups over two days, or having friends around, I'd seriously consider getting your store/roaster to grind the beans for you, if you can commit to getting one bag every week and using it within a week. Everyone says "buy a grinder" but a lot of people I know like the "good coffee" as a weekend thing for sharing with their partners and for when they have visitors, and would get through 250gms on a weekend, or by Tuesday definitely, and in that case you don't have to worry too much about freshness of grounds if you're buying the coffee at lunch time on Friday, or in the farmer's market Saturday morning.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pay the $130 for the 1zpresso JX. If you're posting in this thread then it's already too late to back away from getting into coffee. The JX will last forever and grind very quickly for everything except espresso.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It might be worth investing in an electric grinder, even if you rarely use it, if the resale value holds up.

Baratzas are apparently indestructible and easily repaired so I’m sure that market exists.

Also I do know hand-grinding is a royal pain in the rear end. I derived less pleasure from my coffee that one week I had to use a Porlex Mini instead of my Baratza Encore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's because the porlex is trash

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'd always used my jx pro for espresso and it's a little annoying though not too bad, but when I brought it to family's for holidays and just used it for aeropresses it was so nice and easy, it's like 20-25 seconds to do 15-18g at a filter grind and doesn't take much effort at all

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

Pay the $130 for the 1zpresso JX. If you're posting in this thread then it's already too late to back away from getting into coffee. The JX will last forever and grind very quickly for everything except espresso.

Fair enough! Seems like everyone likes 1zpresso, but I have a Big Ol Mug that works best with 30g of beans, thus the Q2 is a bit too small for me. I decided to splurge a bit and go for the JX.

Unfortunately, weekend coffee for me is at most 2 cups, and the roaster's smallest size is 12 oz, so preground isn't the best option for me. Is def worth remembering for when I have guests around though!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Mu Zeta posted:

That's because the porlex is trash

It's cute and fits in an Aeropress :colbert:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

eke out posted:

i'd always used my jx pro for espresso and it's a little annoying though not too bad

What was annoying about it? I'm considering the same purchase.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Brut posted:

What was annoying about it? I'm considering the same purchase.

i meant relative to the ease it knocks out filter grinds, takes maybe 45-60 seconds (depending on roast level) to grind an 18g espresso shot.

relative to other hand grinders this is still very fast but it will get tiresome if you make espresso often enough

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 25, 2022

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Ah so just grinding time? I don't mind that, I can stand there mindlessly spinning the thing for a minute or two, as long as I don't need to frequently fiddle with the settings or something like that.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Brut posted:

Ah so just grinding time? I don't mind that, I can stand there mindlessly spinning the thing for a minute or two, as long as I don't need to frequently fiddle with the settings or something like that.

It’s pretty annoying to grind for a minute imo, for comparison my grinder kicks out espresso grind in 8 seconds. I could just be impatient when it comes to my coffee though

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sweeper posted:

It’s pretty annoying to grind for a minute imo, for comparison my grinder kicks out espresso grind in 8 seconds. I could just be impatient when it comes to my coffee though

yeah it doesn't seem bad but then you're trying something new and pull a sour shot because it's not dialed in and having to repeat the process

still by far the cheapest way to get into proper espresso and an excellent hand grinder tho

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I've been looking around for an alternative to the bellman steamer and stumbled across this on Aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001992968590.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.1.5df97fb2ugH0U7

It's a manual, gas-powered espresso machine. Is it wrong I sorta want one?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

.Z. posted:

I've been looking around for an alternative to the bellman steamer and stumbled across this on Aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001992968590.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.1.5df97fb2ugH0U7

It's a manual, gas-powered espresso machine. Is it wrong I sorta want one?

Wow, I really want one. But pressure vessels of unknown provenance scare me. So does heating something that I will drink on metals of similarly unknown provenance.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

i own every Bionicle posted:

Wow, I really want one. But pressure vessels of unknown provenance scare me. So does heating something that I will drink on metals of similarly unknown provenance.

The one for $388 or $889?

Seems like the $388 would be better accomplished via Flair or Robot…if you want steam, then I’d rather buy a la pavoni than the $889 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Seems very expensive, what would be the benefit over a Bellman? Looks nice and "does it all" but like Bionicle said earlier the unknown provenance.

Somebody send Hoffmann a link!