Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think this is every cone attack. It's been a WAR complaint forever.

blue mage cones don't require a target

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's cool how they rushed to make the viera male meme voice quieter yet leave this and the lalafel one insanely loud and noticeable.

There was a female Viera voice for ShB they changed quickly, too.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

hazardousmouse posted:

Wait, are you telling us that your settings are such that if you use an ability and you're not facing an enemy, it just doesn't go off? :wtc: It doesn't just turn you to face the enemy automatically on ability use? Why are you intentionally making things harder for yourself?

I actually rely on this as part of my movement/evasion. Do mechanic, be facing whatever haphazard direction, use weaponskill and get faced to target.

I think they're saying that the problem is that they can't use cones if they're not targeting an enemy, not that they're having trouble with facing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Begemot posted:

Yeah, it's equally annoying with samurai, where some of your AOEs are cones and some are circles.

Melee DPS just have to move around a lot! You're either trying to hit positionals on a boss or make sure your AOEs are hitting everyone, you can't just plant yourself like a ranged DPS or tank.

Man, I wish ranged AOE other than dancer was nearly as easy as melee. You're either stuck with cone attacks which have all the exact same issues melee does or you have the awful "Hits a circle around the target" abilities which require you to both have a target (same problem as cones) and the targets needs to be within 5 yalms of every other enemy, which means there is at most 1 correct target per pack, which will of course die first because it's the target of all your AOEs that deal more damage to the main target. And sometimes not even a single target will be positioned correctly if the enemies have collision boxes that are too big, meaning it becomes literally impossible to AOE the whole pack. Caster AOE is by far the worst; cones are worse than point-blank circles but still the lesser evil.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 22, 2022

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Just wow, the entire level 86-87 experience.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Lala name randomizer is gold

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Leraika posted:

I think they're saying that the problem is that they can't use cones if they're not targeting an enemy, not that they're having trouble with facing.

While that is true, I also have the "automatically face target when using action" turned off. It messed with me too much when trying to run around for mechanics becasue it would suddenly cause my character to run toward the boss instead of the direction I was going. I'm not "intentionally making things harder for myself", I find it way harder to play with that setting on.

That being said I've only played ranged up to this point. Maybe that setting is better on for melee

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Onean posted:

There was a female Viera voice for ShB they changed quickly, too.

So the lesson here is that the staff hates rabbits

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So the lesson here is that the staff hates rabbits

Nonsense, they made the best new race ever introduced outside of the Namazu a race of tiny rabbits

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Macaluso posted:

While that is true, I also have the "automatically face target when using action" turned off. It messed with me too much when trying to run around for mechanics becasue it would suddenly cause my character to run toward the boss instead of the direction I was going. I'm not "intentionally making things harder for myself", I find it way harder to play with that setting on.

That being said I've only played ranged up to this point. Maybe that setting is better on for melee

if you use legacy controls it doesnt make you run back at the boss when you attack

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
does one of the settings make you run in the direction your character is facing when you press forward

that sounds awful

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Awesome! posted:

if you use legacy controls it doesnt make you run back at the boss when you attack

I just tried that out and I... do not like how that feels.

Anyway, I'm done talking about that, I'm not interested in getting into a back and forth over how I move my character, I just wish the two aoe abilities just shot out in front of you without needing to be targeted.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

does one of the settings make you run in the direction your character is facing when you press forward

that sounds awful

Yes, but it's exclusive to tanks

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Help Im Alive posted:

Yes, but it's exclusive to tanks

Boooooooooo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you want to target anyways to get autoattacks in

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I still think they should add combat sounds to the voice previews on character creation since you're more likely to hear those than the ones they play for you.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just got GNB to 90 last night and going into a No Mercy window with 3 charges loaded and Bloodfest off cooldown is now my favorite poo poo in the game

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Chillgamesh posted:

Just got GNB to 90 last night and going into a No Mercy window with 3 charges loaded and Bloodfest off cooldown is now my favorite poo poo in the game

Don't forget having two steps of your combo done so you can load an extra charge in one gcd!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just wondering: if I paid for an extra retainer, would that be a permanent uptick on my sub?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mainwaring posted:

Don't forget having two steps of your combo done so you can load an extra charge in one gcd!

I think there literally isn't enough time to do this in No Mercy any more if you're 3/3 and Bloodfest is ready. I haven't looked up a guide, are you supposed to hold using NM until before Savage Claw so you can fit in a Burst Strike later

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Just wondering: if I paid for an extra retainer, would that be a permanent uptick on my sub?

Retainers are an extra sub fee, but you can stop paying it. You just lose access to said retainer(s) until you pay the monthly fee for them.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Extra retainers are a separate subscription, you can cancel that part of the service and keep your regular sub. Your extra retainer inventories are kept even if you cancel for a while, they're just inaccessible until you pay for them again.
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/option_service/additional_retainer/

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Any suggestions on what is a solid starter job for somebody who has never played a video game, let alone an MMO?

I ask because I've been playing for years and recently suggested that my gf and I try this as an alternative to simultaneously watching TV shows over long distance because we can actually shoot the poo poo whilst doing something together. She's keen to sign up when the trial accounts open up again next week.

I love playing BLM but its probably not a good steer to give a first timer. The way that SMN has been reworked makes it feel like the gateway drug that got me hooked in the first place.

My feeling is recommend picking up a DPS job to start and see if she likes the game at all, but I'm interested to see what the collective wisdom of the thread is in terms of which red job to pick?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I think there literally isn't enough time to do this in No Mercy any more if you're 3/3 and Bloodfest is ready. I haven't looked up a guide, are you supposed to hold using NM until before Savage Claw so you can fit in a Burst Strike later

yup, 3 minute window is what you're asking about i believe

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Theophany posted:

Any suggestions on what is a solid starter job for somebody who has never played a video game, let alone an MMO?

I ask because I've been playing for years and recently suggested that my gf and I try this as an alternative to simultaneously watching TV shows over long distance because we can actually shoot the poo poo whilst doing something together. She's keen to sign up when the trial accounts open up again next week.

I love playing BLM but its probably not a good steer to give a first timer. The way that SMN has been reworked makes it feel like the gateway drug that got me hooked in the first place.

My feeling is recommend picking up a DPS job to start and see if she likes the game at all, but I'm interested to see what the collective wisdom of the thread is in terms of which red job to pick?

Marauder. Because it's a tank they'll never want for safety in overworld or worry about queues. Actually tanking is braindead simple, and they'll fly through the game feeling like the actual main character the monsters are fighting.

I say marauder of gladiator to start because warrior owns and pld is good but isn't as loving baller as warrior.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Regardless of actual difficulty tanking breaks a lot of new players with undeserved anxiety and it is by no means a guaranteed new choice

I think bard might be a decent choice, because it's the only ranged phys that starts at level 1, and being ranged phys means that you don't have to worry about moving or positioning, at all. In the 30 levels or so it takes to reach the point where bosses have real mechanics, she can move or stand still however she wants without worry, which will be one less bit of mental load

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Theophany posted:

Trial accounts aren't starting up again next week, just sales. They are going to 'monitor' the situation after that regarding starting the trial back up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's cool how they rushed to make the viera male meme voice quieter yet leave this and the lalafel one insanely loud and noticeable.

Does that voice do the goofy laugh that I always hear whenever there are more than 8 people in the overworld (so always at limsa)?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Yeah I think if you're the literal never-played-a-video-game-before newbie ARR's tutorial is designed to onboard, Archer or Arcanist would be the pick

aers posted:

Thanks for this; It'll probably take a while before I can do this properly without thinking but "hit No Mercy before Double Down if Bloodfest is ready" will probably be a good shortcut in my brain to not loving it up.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if you're playing alongside her, that tankxiety will be a lot easier to manage and i also recommend marauder/warrior. you'll get much faster queues than doing double dps too.

its what i started with and i've always been glad i did.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I run MSQ duty roulette daily and haven't seen Prae in over twenty days. Is this just a very unlikely string of repeats or is there something else to explain this phenomenon?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The gamblers fallacy

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is the Battlecraft Materia III I sometimes get from desynthing 90 gear used for anything more modern than ARR/HW crafting, or is it basically just glorified vendor trash to sell on the market?

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Theophany posted:

I would say for her to go dps at least at first, especially if she will play alone at all. Least responsibility in groups so she can learn the dungeons and see how other tanks and healers do things before trying those roles out. Diving in headfirst as a tank seems like an extremely bad idea t me. Archer/bard as mentioned above is probably tje easiest early dps to go with.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Theophany posted:

Arcanist, it has like 4 buttons.

Edit: although, arcanist storyline spoilers The arcanist storyline is written in a way where it's fairly easy to interpret that the villain has sexually assaulted the cat girl npc you spend most of the quests with in the past so if that would be a problem, stick with archer I would say.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 22, 2022

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Theophany posted:

Arcanist would probably be perfect, yeah. It's very simple, only has a few buttons, and you don't have to worry about positioning, which is good for someone new to games like this. Archer might also be good, but managing DoTs could be annoying.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

aers posted:

Note that this is only because your GCD will naturally end up in the right spot for this to occur on a full uptime fight. You definitely don't want to hold No Mercy for your GCD to be lined up so that you can use a Solid Barrel, as it's a very small potency gain and delaying No Mercy means you start drifting your burst out of party buffs and potentially losing a use on some of your cooldowns.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

bi crimes posted:

I run MSQ duty roulette daily and haven't seen Prae in over twenty days. Is this just a very unlikely string of repeats or is there something else to explain this phenomenon?

Time Elapsed: 0m

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tanxiety is a real thing and being forced to tank content on your very first time through can really bother people.

IMO the best choice is Arcanist. The new SMN is very mobile and pretty fun, and the rotation is dead simple with relatively few buttons, which is great for somebody who has no gaming or MMO experience. No dots to watch or really picky buff windows or anything like that, and nothing like Bard's 6 different flavors of oGCDs to worry about.

And best of all it also comes packaged with SCH which means that if she gets comfortable with things later on she can get healer queues for things. And while it's not the easiest healer in higher level content, it's amazingly easy to use in early stuff because the fairy can solo heal most ARR content as long as the tank is competent. I've done a lot of leveling roulette dungeons as SCH where I've never had to cast a single heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is smn actually mobile before level 60something when you get bahamut