Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Yeah, the biggest thing I’m getting used to is using the clutch more than the gas at low speeds. I still find myself worrying I’ll burn it out because of how cars work, but that’s what patch jobs and trade ins are for.

(I’m kidding. Mostly.)

I have the opposite problem and had trouble finding bikes where my knees weren’t in my chest. I found a lot of advice online while trying to figure out what I could do about that as a tall rider about how to adapt a bike for a short rider, so I’m sure you’ll find good resources. I’ll second the Honda Rebel since I liked it a lot, but would have to change too many things about it for it to be cost effective for me.

I’m no expert, but it seems like such a great bike and I want other people to enjoy it as much as I wish I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Howdges posted:

That clutch slippage became a major factor for the figure 8. I repeatedly made a fool of myself, cutting wide, putting a foot down, opening the throttle way too much. I kind of sort of got it eventually, but it doesn't feel smooth and I think I'm going to fall over the whole time. Fortunately for the test you only have to make a u-turn. I passed so now it's time to pay way too much for a bike and continue my training in a parking lot. Gonna check out that short motorcycle chick too, thank you.

E: Everyone says the rebel is microscopic too so that's probably my best bet

In terms of balance, I've found that seat width is more important than seat height. I had more trouble maneuvering a low, wide cruiser on foot than a tall, narrow dirt bike. Waddling a large bike out of a parking spot can be tricky.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

T Zero posted:

In terms of balance, I've found that seat width is more important than seat height. I had more trouble maneuvering a low, wide cruiser on foot than a tall, narrow dirt bike. Waddling a large bike out of a parking spot can be tricky.

Weight too. Lot harder to hold up or move 650lbs of bike than 250lbs.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah just keep slipping that clutch 24/7 is the secret to riding slow gud, it was the hardest part for me coming from car driving.

I learned to ride before I learned to drive.

I kept riding the clutch too much in the instructors car, he didn’t like it! “Don’t do that, that’s what the sodding handbrake is for!”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m starting to think Steakandchips isn’t American.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I’m Scottish.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Howdges posted:

The current Rebel 300 and 500 are standard bikes. They have somewhat lower seats than other motorcycles, since they're styled like cruisers, but they are normal sized for their class and will fit an average person fine.

The old Rebel 250 is the microscopic one. I've known a couple of 5'0" women who had them and loved them, but they are really teeny for anyone bigger than that.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The old Rebel was more or less one of those little 50cc mini choppers you see at Farm and Fleet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The old rebel seemed to have a seat height lower than the rim diameter.

It looks exactly like a normal sized bike if you look at it through a zoom lens with no context.

Once upon a time I was test riding one and fiddling with the carb by the side of the road. A guy walked up off his lawn to ask if my daughter had broken it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The old rebel seemed to have a seat height lower than the rim diameter.

It looks exactly like a normal sized bike if you look at it through a zoom lens with no context.

Once upon a time I was test riding one and fiddling with the carb by the side of the road. A guy walked up off his lawn to ask if my daughter had broken it.

Somebody got owned here but I'm not entirely sure who and they may not even be physically present in the scene.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Howdges posted:

30" here, a Suzuki RV200/VanVan is another you could almost certainly flatfoot, but if you'd like to eventually hit the freeways it will not really serve. Mrs. Marathe is 25" inseam, and she's able to get her leg up and over it without a curb assist.

As others said, flat-footing is nice, but not strictly necessary- my starter bike I think I was able to juuuust barely touch ground with both balls of my feet/metatarsals. It just meant using them to balance at stops, then relaxing over to one foot (usually left) to wait for the light. It also meant a little extra care watching for cases where steep slopes meet flat ground, first drop was the result of stopping with the rear on a driveway slope and the front on flat ground, leaving me unable to touch ground in the middle. I wouldn't let it be a dealbreaker if it expands your starter bike options to something you like better.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A non-exhaustive list of stuff learner brains think is important but actually isn't:

Flat footing
Storage
Fairings/screens
Switch gear layout
Dashboard displays
Device connectivity
Traction control
Adjustable anything

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

After watching short girl YouTube videos it seems the best way to not drop a bike is to go to your left foot as being in a triangle geometry is inherently more stable than whatever flat flooting would be. And if you need to walk it just get off and walk it beside you.

I’m checking out Facebook bikes and found a 2019 R3 with 1200 miles that’s obviously been dropped a few times. “I bought this bike with the plan to turn it in to track bike for small track”. Sounds perfect for noob me, $2600

some pics

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Slavvy posted:

A non-exhaustive list of stuff learner brains think is important but actually isn't:

Fairings/screens
Switch gear layout
Traction control

Can you explain these? I really like my wind screen for certain weather, although naked would be better in summer sometimes.
Button layout has been one of the most annoying things on some bikes I've ridden and Honda really put the perfect layout on my bike. Sure it's not that important in the grand scheme of things, but there definitely are different levels of quality.
Traction control sounds nice but I'm guessing it doesn't do much?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1. Naked bikes are best, you shouldn't really be riding anything fast enough to actually need wind protection and imo learning what to do in heavy winds is part of learning to ride. Not something to judge a learner bike by, basically.

2. Buttons don't matter imo. You get used to any dumb layout eventually, not something to judge a learner bike, although idk of anything you should learn on that also has crazy dumb switches.

3. TC most definitely does something, it's just that what it does is save the kind of crashes most learners are far too slow to have. You think you're going to have a huge high side with your crazy moves but irl you wobble into a ditch on the outside of a moderate bend. Idk of any genuine learner bike that has TC but it's not something to judge one by.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
My learner bike has 30 hp. I can see TC being a Good Thing if you have 150 or something but for me it's a total non-issue. Also agree on getting used to dumb control layouts. For example my e-bike has the throttle on my left thumb and that felt totally normal after just a short while. My other e-bike has it on the right thumb, but the twist shifter is moved to the left and turned upside down and that's fine too, so is switching between the bikes without having to think about it. Brains are pretty amazing that way.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Slavvy posted:

1. Naked bikes are best, you shouldn't really be riding anything fast enough to actually need wind protection and imo learning what to do in heavy winds is part of learning to ride. Not something to judge a learner bike by, basically.

2. Buttons don't matter imo. You get used to any dumb layout eventually, not something to judge a learner bike, although idk of anything you should learn on that also has crazy dumb switches.

3. TC most definitely does something, it's just that what it does is save the kind of crashes most learners are far too slow to have. You think you're going to have a huge high side with your crazy moves but irl you wobble into a ditch on the outside of a moderate bend. Idk of any genuine learner bike that has TC but it's not something to judge one by.

Oh OK so you meant things that aren't important on a learner bike or to choose one by, gotcha.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah.

An example: when I was on a learner license, the rules were the you could ride anything up to 250cc, that was the only restriction.

People who just wanted to ride would get a gn250 or similar, so budget 15-20hp bikes.

People who wanted to be sporty and cool would get a Hyosung or ex250r, so 20-30hp with bodywork and modern-ish chassis parts.

Absolute nerds who read too much internet bullshit, like me, would want to get the ultimate in learnerage: a JDM i4 250. So fully faired bike with actual real sportbike ergos and suspension, 40-45hp.

Everyone would insist that the latter bikes are crazy fast, can totally keep up with the big bikes!! And the difference between 30 and 40hp seemed vast and very important.

Then I got my full license, jumped on a cbr400 and realised basically immediately that I'd spent the previous couple of years wasting enormous amounts of time and money, because that ten horsepower difference that seemed so big is actually loving miniscule when comparing it to a non-learner bike. 20, 30, 40hp may as well be a rounding error compared to 60+ in a big bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I have to say, as someone who races 2ts and therefore has a galaxy brain, more RPMs = better than. Therefore an i4 250 is clearly the best option.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The internet said they rev to the moon!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Howdges posted:

Rebel chat

Crap, sorry I haven't checked in with this thread in a while and didn't see I got namedropped a while back....

Short girl rider here (5'4". 29" inseam). I've had a Nighthawk 250 and a Rebel 500. Can flatfoot both comfortably. I've found that bike width/weight/center of gravity makes just as big a difference in handleability as seat height in my experience. ex: My husband's Triumph Speedmaster is technically "shorter" than my old Nighthawk, but the width and weight made it feel way more unwieldy to me than my Honda.

Go sit on some stuff, see what you like! I'd actually been looking into maybe picking up an R3 or a CBR300 myself as a second bike.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ordered a decat pipe for my Benelli 125 and with the OEM end can thing (silencer?!) it is FAR TOO loving LOUD HOLY JESUS and that's with a noise reduction baffle in the new pipe. I've ordered a proper silencer end can thing so hopefully that will drop the dB level quite a lot because the noise is fairly obnoxious and I don't want to be a complete arsehole. Also got some MX hand guards on the way to reduce how wind blasted my fingers get when it's cold cold. Oh and I got one of those Beeline GPS things so I can go explore more and not have to worry about finding my way back/check my phone so I know where I'm going. It has a thing called compass mode where it just points to your destination in a straight line to encourage going whichever way you want to get there, taking roads you may not have been down and such. Seems cool, going to give it a go at the weekend.

I was out of the country for a few weeks over Christmas in Cape Town and there's this whole economy of delivery riders all flying around on 125s dropping off takeaways and little shopping deliveries and I was missing riding so much. I saw far too many people riding wearing flip flops though even if it was over 30 degrees a lot of the time.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Howdges posted:

Other than I’m too short to flat foot a grom.
Just learn to ride the bike you want to ride.

https://youtu.be/sHm_wizutuA

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ordered a decat pipe for my Benelli 125 and with the OEM end can thing (silencer?!) it is FAR TOO loving LOUD HOLY JESUS and that's with a noise reduction baffle in the new pipe. I've ordered a proper silencer end can thing so hopefully that will drop the dB level quite a lot because the noise is fairly obnoxious and I don't want to be a complete arsehole.
What does the baffle looking like? Does it have like holes in it like a cheese grater or more like a solid piece? If it's a solid piece you can stuff it with fiberglass muffler packing and then cap it off high temp exhaust sealant. Good for a couple db reduction. If it's got holes in it then the fiberglass muffler packing just gets blown out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or just don't put terrible pipes on terrible 125's, you're just buying hearing loss, bystander hatred and a melted piston.

Is there at least some kind of compensating measure for the loss of the cat and the ensuing fuel map fuckery?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ordered a decat pipe for my Benelli 125 and with the OEM end can thing (silencer?!) it is FAR TOO loving LOUD HOLY JESUS and that's with a noise reduction baffle in the new pipe. I've ordered a proper silencer end can thing so hopefully that will drop the dB level quite a lot because the noise is fairly obnoxious and I don't want to be a complete arsehole. Also got some MX hand guards on the way to reduce how wind blasted my fingers get when it's cold cold. Oh and I got one of those Beeline GPS things so I can go explore more and not have to worry about finding my way back/check my phone so I know where I'm going. It has a thing called compass mode where it just points to your destination in a straight line to encourage going whichever way you want to get there, taking roads you may not have been down and such. Seems cool, going to give it a go at the weekend.

I was out of the country for a few weeks over Christmas in Cape Town and there's this whole economy of delivery riders all flying around on 125s dropping off takeaways and little shopping deliveries and I was missing riding so much. I saw far too many people riding wearing flip flops though even if it was over 30 degrees a lot of the time.

Sorry, but spending any actual money on a 125 beyond petrol, oil and chain lube is money down the drain.

Practice, pass your full test and get a larger bike which you'll actually enjoy messing about with.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Lol do whatever you want. goons are sad sacks

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

Also very fair, I wrote harshly. A Benelli 125 can't be super expensive or rare so go hog wild, you'll learn something whatever happens.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hai:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

right arm posted:

Slavvy posted:

Also very fair, I wrote harshly. A Benelli 125 can't be super expensive or rare so go hog wild, you'll learn something whatever happens.

Yeah this is my first bike, fairly cheap, very simple and parts are pocket money so I'm using it as an experiment. I'm definitely going to get my full license this year because this bike has been so much fun to get around on despite being low end and Chinese manufactured... And I like poo poo cars too so I'm very much in my element here :v:

numberoneposter posted:

What does the baffle looking like? Does it have like holes in it like a cheese grater or more like a solid piece? If it's a solid piece you can stuff it with fiberglass muffler packing and then cap it off high temp exhaust sealant. Good for a couple db reduction. If it's got holes in it then the fiberglass muffler packing just gets blown out.

The one in the pipe is solid so if the silencer doesn't do the job I'll look into trying this, thank you!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slavvy posted:

Depends which model but brand new they run around £2300 (TNT) to £2700 (BN), used prices aren't much lower. The TNT seems to be a fun little Grom copy and putting cheap slip ons on is almost required by the owner's manual. Full systems/decat seem much less common but look to be incredibly straightforward to do.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 28, 2022

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

You guys are awesome, thanks for the little person advice. Unfortunately, I got knocked out of the game before I could even start. I always try look at the opposing lanes when crossing intersections, even in my car. People habitually run red lights here in Dallas. Even then, I never saw this one coming..

Had I been on a bike I would be severely hosed up. Instead I got a few scratches and some upper back pain. Despite this, I still want to get a bike. I’m just never riding in the city.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Ouch! Glad you're okay.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
That had to be terrifying. Glad you’re okay.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sometimes I miss the urban/metro riding experience in DFW, but when drivers gently caress up there they like to gently caress up big and loud. Glad you're mostly OK, hopefully your back feels better quick.

My condolences on being forced into the current automobile market :capitalism:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
We've had a dry couple of days with some sunshine and today the major roads I saw looked dry or mostly dry. They also looked salt-dusty and dirty and there's lots of gravel in places. Forecast for saturday looks rideable (barely, windy and cold but safely above freezing at least), and I don't think I can resist the temptation unless it rains or snows before then (it shouldn't). I'll have to take it easy and stick to larger roads for sure to not get sprayed in brine but I'm jonesing pretty hard and I want to ride so bad, it's been months.

Just how slippery are shiny new tires? Is it worth it to go looking for a gravel road to scrape off the oily surface like I read somewhere is a thing some people do?

Invalido fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 10, 2022

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Slippery new tires was a thing when they used mold release compounds when making tires.
No modern manufacturers produce tires that way any more.

What you do have though is a much more tip in happy non worn tire.
Take is easy for the first trip to get used to your much more responsive tires.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Thanks for info and advice. I'll be cautious but not afraid that my tires are coated in oil. Good to know.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

New tyres are definitely slipperier but it's literally only the first time you use the rubber. Like the first time you lean to the edge of the tyre (or the edge of the area useable by you), it will be slippery and feel like riding on ice. But after a couple of turns, the outer layer has already been scuffed up and the tyre is as good as it's going to get. I think people get caught out by the tip happiness as mentioned, but also by the fact that they'll wear in the middle third of the tyre relatively quickly by riding normally, and then the first time they try to actually lean the bike, they're running on virgin rubber. This might be weeks or months after getting the tyres fitted and probably contributes to the myth that you need a hundred k's to scrub them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just do what I do, and scrub the tires in by going to the movie theater parking lot and doing gymkhana moves at low speed and progressively steeper lean angles until the mall security comes out to yell at you.