Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I also wish Reaper wasn't Maiming because I main Dragoon, and I basically keep one job for each armor set up to date and if Reaper was Striking it would be my pick for that lol.

I guess I should try Monk post-6.0, I have been holding off on it because for a year everyone was like "it's all gonna change," I'll read Hogama's job history post to learn more backstory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The gold saucer has multiple styles of joke weapons including a series that are all basically the mog ones but with the Fancy Sabutender with a bunch of neon poo poo attached to them.

I did say basically nothing, not absolutely nothing. These are indeed, on the level of the Mog weapons. Which puts the list at two sources of weapons compared to the hundred other sources.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
see, the problem is that bard doesn't change the arrows into musical notes that fly into enemies like arrows, how can you truly say you're a bard if the enemy isn't embedded with eighths

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Macaluso posted:

Oh baby, I gotta get me that set!

Also I wish I could get the Samurai Cryptlurker's set on my Red Mage so I could look like Lady Maria without having to play Samurai (or whatever the other classes were for that set)

Oh, before you go grinding, that hat is just the reaper AF hat, btw. The one from the 87 dungeon is like the crowned hood of the Witch King from LotR, but with an Ancient mask.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am still waiting for Namazu weapons

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh wow I just looked and the Eden raids have a Reaper weapon and it looks absolutely sick as hell

Begemot posted:

Oh, before you go grinding, that hat is just the reaper AF hat, btw. The one from the 87 dungeon is like the crowned hood of the Witch King from LotR, but with an Ancient mask.

Yeah I recognized the hat, I've got that on right now. I love that coat though

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Harrow posted:

Reaper's weird because it's the first job where it feels kinda unescapable that doing Reaper stuff is... kind of a pretty bad idea. Like the player gets away with it because of protagonist powers but everything about what Reaper gets up to is a bad idea and something you really shouldn't be flirting with.

"Hey lemme just feed the souls of my slain enemies to a voidsent in exchange for dark power" - a hero

I haven't done the Reaper job quests beyond the initial level 70 ones yet but it doesn't seem much worse than Black Mage or Summoner (before Endwalker's MSQ was added to the game anyway) on the "lol only idiots have the abyss stare back into them" aspect

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I haven't done the Reaper job quests beyond the initial level 70 ones yet but it doesn't seem much worse than Black Mage or Summoner (before Endwalker's MSQ was added to the game anyway) on the "lol only idiots have the abyss stare back into them" aspect

I'd say it's worse than those because being a Reaper means feeding actual souls to a voidsent on the other side of the rift, something that seems unambiguously evil to me, especially in a setting with a whole lifestream/cycle of rebirth thing going on. I've seen people handwave it with like "oh you're just feeding the voidsent the aether surrounding the soul" or something like that but the game does describe it as harvesting enemies' souls.

It's somewhere around the WoW Warlock level of "absolutely terrible idea that you only get away with because you're the main character" I think.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Does anyone know if the quote attributed to the dev team along the lines of "we named thief rogue in ffxiv because the warrior of light wouldn't be a thief" is true

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Being a Reaper is quite safe, what you do to people is pretty bad though yes.

Basically if you properly act as a Reaper you’re safe from the Voidsent. The Avatar is the vessel by which you feed it Aether, creating a separation between you and it. Enshroud is the embodiment of the contract, allowing you to safely draw upon the Voidsent’s power.

The issue becomes when you lose sight of yourself and dig deeper for more power from the Voidsent, opening yourself up to it instead of the normal situation of it opening up to you.

Normally though the Voidsent is plenty happy to just feed on what you give.

It’s also worth noting the traditional target of Reapers is other Voidsent and dark magic wielders. Those who feast upon the souls of the living themselves. It’s basically Warcraft Demon Hunters, becoming that which you prey upon.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Macaluso posted:

Oh wow I just looked and the Eden raids have a Reaper weapon and it looks absolutely sick as hell

That reminds me: can you still get the weapon tokens to drop from Eden? Because I can’t say I remember getting any from the final boss of each wing whenever I’ve gotten one of them from roulette since EW came out.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Harrow posted:

I'd say it's worse than those because being a Reaper means feeding actual souls to a voidsent on the other side of the rift, something that seems unambiguously evil to me, especially in a setting with a whole lifestream/cycle of rebirth thing going on. I've seen people handwave it with like "oh you're just feeding the voidsent the aether surrounding the soul" or something like that but the game does describe it as harvesting enemies' souls.

It's somewhere around the WoW Warlock level of "absolutely terrible idea that you only get away with because you're the main character" I think.

Maybe it's some circle of life type poo poo where the Voidsent eats you, then when it dies it goes back to the lifestream and the both of you one day become grass together :shobon:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

aers posted:

Does anyone know if the quote attributed to the dev team along the lines of "we named thief rogue in ffxiv because the warrior of light wouldn't be a thief" is true

Sounds very “they said the bosses from heroes gauntlet are jobs they decided not to add” to me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think we're just not supposed to think about Reaper too hard. For one thing, these days your character is rarely killing people--post-Stormblood it seems like a lot of the time when you're fighting people instead of animals/monsters, the narrative is clear that you're just incapacitating people. Also there are plenty of monsters that wouldn't have souls to feed on in the first place, like the Blasphemies in Endwalker but you can fill your soul gauge just fine on them.

But yeah the narrative of it is definitely a lot darker than any other job. I mean killing people is obviously a pretty bad thing to do to them but you're also letting a voidsent eat their soul afterwards. It's some Bad Guy poo poo. None of the other dark/edgy jobs go that far (Dark Knight just uses emotion-fueled magic, Black Mage and Dragoon do things that are dangerous to the wielder if done incorrectly but aren't necessarily bad).

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

Oh yeah, also, thanks to that post earlier upthread I just solo'd A12S with a ilvl560 Gunbreaker, even getting hit by a few mechanics because I didn't know the fight. It's extremely easy and now I have this bad rear end sword

Merry new weapon day!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Sounds very “they said the bosses from heroes gauntlet are jobs they decided not to add” to me

Yeah I'm thinking its 10 years of telephone out of this https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/181552-Interview-of-Yoshi-P-at-French-Japan-Expo-by-Secrets-of-Eorzea-website

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Harrow posted:

I think we're just not supposed to think about Reaper too hard. For one thing, these days your character is rarely killing people--post-Stormblood it seems like a lot of the time when you're fighting people instead of animals/monsters, the narrative is clear that you're just incapacitating people. Also there are plenty of monsters that wouldn't have souls to feed on in the first place, like the Blasphemies in Endwalker but you can fill your soul gauge just fine on them.

But yeah the narrative of it is definitely a lot darker than any other job. I mean killing people is obviously a pretty bad thing to do to them but you're also letting a voidsent eat their soul afterwards. It's some Bad Guy poo poo. None of the other dark/edgy jobs go that far (Dark Knight just uses emotion-fueled magic, Black Mage and Dragoon do things that are dangerous to the wielder if done incorrectly but aren't necessarily bad).

Also again, Reapers primarily fight other Voidsent. So the Aether they harvest for their contract partner is usually just the aether of a different Voidsent, not a mortal from the Source.

Like yes if you were a bad guy you could go around feeding souls to your contract partner as a source of Aether. But realistically any source of Aether would do, hence hunting other Voidsent and feeding their aether is the heroic version.

You could also send the Aether of plants, if you were so inclined.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Is A12S Slo Warrior only? Paladin is the tank I leveled first but I need those weapons and the mount.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I had a flashback to when tanks could opt between fending and strength accessories and how all the cool and good tanks used strength gear.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Theophany posted:

Any suggestions on what is a solid starter job for somebody who has never played a video game, let alone an MMO?

I ask because I've been playing for years and recently suggested that my gf and I try this as an alternative to simultaneously watching TV shows over long distance because we can actually shoot the poo poo whilst doing something together. She's keen to sign up when the trial accounts open up again next week.

I love playing BLM but its probably not a good steer to give a first timer. The way that SMN has been reworked makes it feel like the gateway drug that got me hooked in the first place.

My feeling is recommend picking up a DPS job to start and see if she likes the game at all, but I'm interested to see what the collective wisdom of the thread is in terms of which red job to pick?

When I started I picked Warrior to start, then just accidentally took a quest in town and ended up leveling as a ROG/NIN and had a blast. It taught me a bunch about game mechanics, the run speed bonus is almost hard to not have after you've had it, and let's face it, the flippy jump and Naruto run are worth the cost of admission when you're new to it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, at this point it's pretty darn clear that a soul is just a spiritual organ and someone eating it isn't really going to have much effect on what happens to you after you're dead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

hazardousmouse posted:

Merry new weapon day!

What top is that?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
sky rat harness of fending

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Hunter Noventa posted:

Is A12S Slo Warrior only? Paladin is the tank I leveled first but I need those weapons and the mount.

I did it on Gunbreaker ilvl560, took three damage downs, and still cleared first try with like 6 minutes until enrage apparently

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

i soloed it on dragoon with a little bit of bloodbath/second wind management. as long as you burn the spinneret that buffs damage of the other one before it uses tankbuster there's very little risk

it's probably safer than trying on tank too since you skip way more mechanics

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/sa2n9o/yoshida_confirms_ffxiv_live_letter_special/

Yoshida announced the windows for the next two live letters in a mahjong stream last night/this morning.

February will be a special Live Letter where they will present a roadmap for 6.x content and go into the direction of the game post-6.0

March will be the part 1 of the 6.1 preview

There will be a "rush" of interviews starting next Tuesday explaining interpretations of EW's story

There will be a set of short stories for EW as well

6.08 job adjustments will just be number tweaks, with more major fixes coming in 6.1

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Just tried out P2S for the first time and... yeah, I can see why some people say it's less of a hassle than P1S? Boss hits like a truck and obv has wipeout mechanics but the first parts of the fight are much less of a "ubnderstand where you have to go NOW" than P1S. We got to NotLimit Cut on the second pull.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my only desired change on drg that doesn't involve a hefty rework is changing the CD on geirksogul and high jump to 29s so they don't drift as easily, since drifting is so awful with the new rigid ogcd structure

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

my only desired change on drg that doesn't involve a hefty rework is changing the CD on geirksogul and high jump to 29s so they don't drift as easily, since drifting is so awful with the new rigid ogcd structure

i gave up on trying to do the "tweener" Geirskögul and just accept i will have 50% optimal usage on it lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The maiming gear looks fine on RPR imo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i gave up on trying to do the "tweener" Geirskögul and just accept i will have 50% optimal usage on it lol

? you mean you just don't use it at all along with the high jump that gives you your first eye?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I got into a weird rut where I would forget to Geirskögul immediately and end up doing it 5-6 seconds late which would then mean I was stuck waiting 5-6 seconds for it to come off cooldown the second time around and then I would often get distracted and not activate that until like 10+ seconds later lol so I just gave up and stopped using it except to activate Life of the Dragon

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Okay, I'm trying out the A12S with my GNB, how are people getting through the Timegate part fast enough? I'm one shotting them easy enough but even then I'm not fast enough to make it to the 4th platform.

e: NM. Just went faster.

e again: Whoa, cool mount!

theironjef fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 22, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If it helps, with the endwalker rotation you're supposed to use geirskogul before high jump every time (unless downtime or deaths mess up your eyes). This is a reverse from shadowbringers, where you needed the flexibility to choose whether you use geirskogul before or after mirage dive. With the new rigidity of your buffs, you want to delay every single life of the dragon, so it works out fine to use geirskogul first

The opener is a little unintuitive but once you get it into muscle memory the rest of the class is just hitting buttons on CD, it's really smooth. I'd recommend following it even if you aren't potting, and delaying your first buffs until after the second GCD. It really makes everything line up better.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Anyone have a link to that guide to ff14's goblin lexicon
Someone wrote up a big guide awhile back and I've misplaced the bookmark

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, for example Bard having ~10s of drift correction on the 2-minute cycle is great. I suppose the trick on 30s cooldowns would be shaving off enough that you can get some correction in there, but not so much that you create a new strict cycle.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Anyone have a link to that guide to ff14's goblin lexicon
Someone wrote up a big guide awhile back and I've misplaced the bookmark

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sRoBAev1nb2cC4anigspCTbRONkppPvcrJpYDCF7nSM/edit#gid=811891527

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

theironjef posted:

Okay, I'm trying out the A12S with my GNB, how are people getting through the Timegate part fast enough? I'm one shotting them easy enough but even then I'm not fast enough to make it to the 4th platform.

e: NM. Just went faster.

e again: Whoa, cool mount!

There's a method to the metal on the metal highway, yo!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/xivdiagrams/status/1485019238632882176?t=LYlHtADezGGZjziY6Sc5QQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Most interesting thing here is definitely that there used to be a plan or at least a thought that more classes than Arcanist were going to have two paths to choose from at 30. I wonder what that would have looked like.