Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Sam and Max game also looks awesome.

Its a lovely gallery game not an adventure game and they just jacked the IP for what amounts to garbage mini games.

Don't pay money for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EbolaIvory posted:

Its a lovely gallery game not an adventure game and they just jacked the IP for what amounts to garbage mini games.

Don't pay money for it.

Ah crap. I was hoping it was a port of the tell tale games, since I know those are coming out remastered now.

Also I have a 6 year old and 10 year old, and they both want to be able to try out the device. I know the recommendations are like 12-14, but that's not really based on anything concrete yet. So I was wondering, for people who kids and let them us VR, what has been your experience or guidance you'd pass along about letting kids use VR?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

explosivo posted:

The NBA will occasionally have VR games in the Venues app (like, once every three weeks) and it was pretty neat but the video quality was poo poo so not really worth watching a whole game that way. This was also last season so maybe it's better now or they're not doing it anymore. This was the only live sports event I ever saw advertised on the quest though.
Interesting, will look out for that.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Ah crap. I was hoping it was a port of the tell tale games, since I know those are coming out remastered now.

Also I have a 6 year old and 10 year old, and they both want to be able to try out the device. I know the recommendations are like 12-14, but that's not really based on anything concrete yet. So I was wondering, for people who kids and let them us VR, what has been your experience or guidance you'd pass along about letting kids use VR?

My nieces and nephews are in the 6-12 range and they picked it up pretty much right away. They like to play Beat Saber and The Climb 2.

Kids have a hard time controlling their excitement that translates to over exaggerated movement. Give them a ton of space.

Generally I always say “I’m going to put my hand on your should, is that okay?” To guide them away from walls and stuff.

It’s fun watching them though, they really get into it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Interesting, will look out for that.

Oh hey good news! The Sacramento Kings v Milwaukee Bucks game is being broadcast in VR tonight. Starts at 8:00 EST

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Same. I was stoked it was coming to viveport and did zero research. Booted it up, realized i was duped and it was just a stupid mini game collection.

I still can't believe thats what they did with the IP. Of all things.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I jumped back on the supernatural train. Even at 20 bucks a month it's absolutely worth it for the coaches yelling with(at) you and the extensive catalogue of pre-made playlists

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So I apologize in advance for asking a question that may have already been answered, but how is the game library for the Quest 2? I have a pretty old rear end PC (GeForce 1050 Ti and Intel I5-2500K cpu), so I have a feeling that excluding things like RE4 I'm going to be locked out of a lot of the quality games, right? My concern is buying it and (even with a PC link) being restricted to most of what's on Zucks store, which a lot of it looks like shovelware/indie trash/music games. I have no problem spending money and getting something goofy like that bar fight game, if say I can run that on my PC, so low quality isn't always a horrible barrier. I just want to know how decent the Quest 2 non-PC link games are in terms of quality and availability.

Also what accessories are considered, you must get this, it should have be included with the system?

Shame that VR can't work through cloud gaming as I WOULD love to try Hitman PCVR using GeForce Now.

Fwiw I'm running pretty old stuff too, an AMD FX 8350 cpu and a Radeon RX 570 gpu and I can run Alyx, Boneworks etc fine over Oculus Link and ALVR (I find this works better than Oculus Air Link) and by fine I mean 100% resolution or slightly past that. Anything more and it starts to chug. So that's a slightly better gpu than yours but a worse cpu. I think gpu is more important when it comes to VR so you might struggle to run Alyx at 100% resolution but lower and you might be ok? But I dont know. I can run less intensive games like Blade and Sorcery with no real issues even if I crank the resolution to 125% or more though so you might be ok for those at default settings? But there are people itt who know way more than me about this stuff.

Also I found ALVR seems to run intensive games a lot better than using a link cable probably because I assume it lowers the resolution a bit more automatically, and it compresses the picture so it can be a bit like watching a 1080p YouTube video with some artifacts here and there but that worked very well for me until I decided I'd go with a decent USB 3.0 cable.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 22, 2022

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

explosivo posted:

Oh hey good news! The Sacramento Kings v Milwaukee Bucks game is being broadcast in VR tonight. Starts at 8:00 EST
Awesome, thanks so much!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I jumped back on the supernatural train. Even at 20 bucks a month it's absolutely worth it for the coaches yelling with(at) you and the extensive catalogue of pre-made playlists

but why, when you can play Boss Bitch on synthriders?

also this is late but I very, very much am a w.e.e.d. guy and my imagination is pretty dope, I'm the guy who recommends Paper Beasts even!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

forest spirit posted:

but why, when you can play Boss Bitch on synthriders?

also this is late but I very, very much am a w.e.e.d. guy and my imagination is pretty dope, I'm the guy who recommends Paper Beasts even!

Ill play synthriders and powerhits VR too!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

sick

i am very excited to see what this is like

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I've been too thrifty to try supernatural but getting older I am more and more drawn to paying for convenience and of this is an avenue leading to genres besides lame electronic I might give it a shot. Finally

Having to mod all of these music games to have even just... variety is becoming a chore.

Thankfully synth riders is really easy to add, just drag and drop. I've stop playing beat saber because it's exhausting keeping up with the game updating

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So I apologize in advance for asking a question that may have already been answered, but how is the game library for the Quest 2? I have a pretty old rear end PC (GeForce 1050 Ti and Intel I5-2500K cpu), so I have a feeling that excluding things like RE4 I'm going to be locked out of a lot of the quality games, right? My concern is buying it and (even with a PC link) being restricted to most of what's on Zucks store, which a lot of it looks like shovelware/indie trash/music games.

You haven't seen the SteamVR games of say, the last 5 months, right?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

And with boneworks and Alyx being over a year out i'm pretty sure most of the production value dollars are going to be going to quest. wouldn't surprise me if there were cross platform steamvr releases tbh but studios willing to spend a decent amount producing a game are going to be doing it for quest.

Indies and demos will still rule on PC though

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turin Turambar posted:

No not really. Hell I had to screw around with the oculus store to discover that sniper eite was there, even though you think that it would be more prominently advertised.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Supernatural is a subscription app, right?

What're some good alternatives? I have but not yet played Thrill of The Fight but I deffo need some exercise.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Thrill of the Fight on the native quest is amazing and no other app will give you as much as a workout. Powerhits VR is like supernatural but it autogens beatmaps to whatever mp3's you want. There are also several options on sidequest that I hear good things but haven't experimented with..

Yes supernatural is a pretty steep monthly cost but as someone who really prioritizes regular exercise it's easy to justify the cost even if I only use it 4 times a month. The social elements (coaches yelling at you) that supernatural has are actually really effective and no other software is coming anywhere close to accomplishing what they do.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

No not really. Hell I had to screw around with the oculus store to discover that sniper eite was there, even though you think that it would be more prominently advertised.

I'm just saying, don't buy a VR headset expecting a good number of polished AAA VR games. Not in Steam, nor in Quest. It's still worlds apart from normal 2d games.
In fact your comment was pretty funny because the Quest store is known to be closed, so only games of some quality can get in (well, the shovelware is in AppLab), while Steam is open field for anybody, and 2021 was a game full of crap in special.

I would say all the good VR games from Steam of the last months are also in Quest, with the exception of a pair of sims, Surviv3 and two EA games.

Now, this

SCheeseman posted:

Quest 2 is the primary development for VR games these days, to the point where there are platform exclusives like Resident Evil 4 VR, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, , as well as time limited exclusives that eventually got ports to PCVR.

isn't exactly accurate, the way he has written it makes it sound games like studios are developing them choosing only the Quest on their own because it makes much more sense economically. Those two exclusives happen to be exclusives because Facebbok is funding their development. Like Sony funds Uncharted.
Although it's true in the last months I started to notice a trend, where a few Quest games are for now only on it, or they release earlier on Quest, and I believe this is less paid timed exclusives like in the Epic store, and just devs choosing to priotize their limited resources on Quest first, because they can only focus on one platform at a time.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 23, 2022

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

I had no idea this was a thing, how well does it work? I haven't really played a GTA game since vice city but I know everyone loves san andreas and the novelty might be enough to make it interesting, but based on their recent output I'm not going to assume rockstar did anything well

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Irony.or.Death posted:

I had no idea this was a thing, how well does it work? I haven't really played a GTA game since vice city but I know everyone loves san andreas and the novelty might be enough to make it interesting, but based on their recent output I'm not going to assume rockstar did anything well

We don't know becuase it has been announced, but not released. We don't even have a small trailer.
If you haven't played it, I will say to you it's my favorite GTA. It will be interesting to see how the VR will be, because translating it to VR is way more ambitious than RE4. Moving, shooting, reloading, yes. But also driving different vehicles, and not only cars, also boats and planes. And swimming, and mantling, and shooting from a car, and etc etc.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just got a Q2 and I hate the stock head straps (giving me a headache with little use)
Are the ones in the op still good upgrade options or are there some newer suggestions?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

couldcareless posted:

Just got a Q2 and I hate the stock head straps (giving me a headache with little use)
Are the ones in the op still good upgrade options or are there some newer suggestions?

The OP ones might be hard to come by.

I have the Kiwi straps, athletic gasket and grips and they're all nearly perfect.

The strap isn't 100% because the tightening nodule in the back means it's hard to lay down with it on.
Just need a big squishy pillow.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thrill of the Fight on the native quest is amazing and no other app will give you as much as a workout. Powerhits VR is like supernatural but it autogens beatmaps to whatever mp3's you want. There are also several options on sidequest that I hear good things but haven't experimented with..

Yes supernatural is a pretty steep monthly cost but as someone who really prioritizes regular exercise it's easy to justify the cost even if I only use it 4 times a month. The social elements (coaches yelling at you) that supernatural has are actually really effective and no other software is coming anywhere close to accomplishing what they do.

For me the value on Supernatural is mostly in having a new playlist waiting every day with real music. I get bored just playing the same songs or playlists over and over in other apps. I don't have much music on my computer since I just Spotify everything these days. If I'm going to need to go download music or custom beatmatched tracks or whatever, I just never get around to it, and I'm stuck either playing the same songs I'm bored of or just skipping it altogether. I don't really have that excuse with Supernatural so I end up using it at least a few times a week.

And yeah, Thrill of the Fight absolutely wrecks me.

On a different, non-exercise note, I tried that Space Dockers VR game and while it looks really cool, wow, did it ever make me motion sick. I had to refund it, I wasn't going to be able to adjust to it. Same way as ATS/ETS makes me super sick in VR. Which is weird, because other space games like Elite or No Man's Sky don't do it to me. Maybe something about it having Newtonian physics, I don't know. It sucks, because I love that kind of boring simulator poo poo, but I was sweating just while trying to finish the tutorials.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Inzombiac posted:

Supernatural is a subscription app, right?

What're some good alternatives? I have but not yet played Thrill of The Fight but I deffo need some exercise.

https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/1484971697472212994?s=20

Keep an eye out. I was told we're under embargo buuuuuuuuut they posted that so enjoy the info thats there.

I won't break my agreement, but I will say, Its good. I can say that.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Hitman is so garbage. Cops were after me, and I just walked into a closet right in front of them, and they walked away. But then later they opened fire on me with a huge crowd of party goers surrounding me.
You have to steal the mechanics clothes to get on the ship. But then the game indicates you need formal attire to get into another area, so when I saw a guy alone in the bathroom wearing a suit I choked him out and couldnt take his clothes. Even if they nailed the VR mechanics, the game just seems boring as hell.

Yeah Payday 2 has so much more to offer. I also love that other players will always join your game because VR and non VR players mix together and its popularity never dies off.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChocNitty posted:

Hitman is so garbage. Cops were after me, and I just walked into a closet right in front of them, and they walked away. But then later they opened fire on me with a huge crowd of party goers surrounding me.
You have to steal the mechanics clothes to get on the ship. But then the game indicates you need formal attire to get into another area, so when I saw a guy alone in the bathroom wearing a suit I choked him out and couldnt take his clothes. Even if they nailed the VR mechanics, the game just seems boring as hell.

Yeah Payday 2 has so much more to offer. I also love that other players will always join your game because VR and non VR players mix together and its popularity never dies off.

:colbert:

No, it is not. I won't talk about the VR quality, but goddamn that game is so fun. The trick is, treat it like a sandbox, and also look at all the goofy challenges you can do. Big tip is you can say a game as you beat a level and just keep loading it to quickly add other challenges you've unlocked (you don't even need to finish the level, just unlock it, and the next time it's beaten it's added along with the XP). It's actually really regular player friendly in terms of unlocks and things you can do. It's a great "stealth" game, in that it's got stealth, but other options, and you are free to choose, and you aren't punished by the game.

Also thanks to everyone for the advice on the Quest. I am leaning towards getting it, but I'm not totally sure. I probably want to check out the games and options a tiny bit more.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

EbolaIvory posted:

https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/1484971697472212994?s=20

Keep an eye out. I was told we're under embargo buuuuuuuuut they posted that so enjoy the info thats there.

I won't break my agreement, but I will say, Its good. I can say that.

looks very very interesting but I will have to play it to be sure

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ChocNitty posted:

I killed a target by dropping a canister of nitroglycerin on their head from a water tower, and in the next level I killed another person by serving them some intentionally poorly prepared sushi. 10/10

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I know you aint talking poo poo on Cybersex Horny Nurses :v:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

explosivo posted:

So yeah this was interesting to pop into, like my internet (or just The Internet at any point in this process) is too slow to really support this at all, but the few seconds I could see of basketball being played very blurrily were like, yeah, that is what it's like to stand in a basketball stadium and watch a basketball game. Technology demonstrated, incomplete for any practical purpose now, but might be cool by the time I die.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GutBomb posted:

I killed a target by dropping a canister of nitroglycerin on their head from a water tower, and in the next level I killed another person by serving them some intentionally poorly prepared sushi. 10/10

This person gets it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
My fave Hitman moment so far was mixing a poison drink up for a dude, realizing I had no poison, then whipping a kitchen knife into his face in the middle of a crowded room and booking it. Somehow, it worked!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

anyone in canada able to view this?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dewgy posted:

My fave Hitman moment so far was mixing a poison drink up for a dude, realizing I had no poison, then whipping a kitchen knife into his face in the middle of a crowded room and booking it. Somehow, it worked!

This is the way.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hitman is murder slapstick. Like killing someone with a battering ram you’ve sabotaged right as they finish their big troop inspiring speech.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I like sneaking into the tech billionaire's launch party for his new military robot and reprogramming it with his profile photo as the target for the shooting accuracy demo

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
rude goldberg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I was getting frustrated trying to kill one of the fashion show targets, so I just walked up behind him, knifed him in the back right before he was about to go on-stage, and walked away undetected in the confusion.

The other I walked in as Helmut, enjoyed a lovely conversation about doing a job for her, and poisoned her drink while her back was turned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I tried the holodia holofit game today since I got a secondhand bike super cheap. It was decent, definitely better than biking while watching Netflix on my phone or something. The graphics are pretty poor on the native quest version, lots of pop in and low resolution.

It doesn't have instructors to yell and motivate you but it does have multiplayer so that's a good workout if you're competitive. There are a bunch of environments ranging from real cities to Saturn to ancient Babylon, it's a nice variety. I'm not sure if I'll keep it though, the resolution is so low that it's distracting and I'm not sure if I get a good signal for airlink where my bike is. Most of the bad reviews mention the graphics and also that you can't row backwards on every map.